Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2014, 22:46   #6166
Senior - BHPian

Re: Planning to buy a Punto !!!

We all have been doing this for years, I even have an ownership thread but at the same time I am that type of customer who...

Will I buy a Fiat again ? Definitely YES anyday. Am waiting desperately to own Fiat 500 someday.

yet

Would I suggest a close relative or friend to buy a Fiat? Definitely No unless he is an enthusiast.
One of my closest friend has bought a Punto (P) in Bangalore recently and I felt very happy by his decision, but he knew what was he buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
It can become a virtuous circle if Fiat owners gloss over the problems. Just like the network effect in technology firms. More people praise the car, more interest, perhaps more sales, and perhaps more effort by FIAT to really make a difference.

Nice, praiseworthy, and refreshing of FIAT owners to be honest.

Last edited by carwatcher : 11th February 2014 at 22:48.
carwatcher is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 22:56   #6167
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone who can help, please
My sincere suggestion to you is avoid taking a wrong decision which is well under your control rather then repent later.

There is no doubt that Fiat has been experimenting a lot with Indian market and are serious about their presence in India but they have yet not reached/attained or understood the optimum level of business model they should follow in India for success.

A car is bought with an objective to serve you and your family. You buy a car for ease of travelling, comfort and peace of mind and not for running after service stations.

I personally like Skoda and I would love to buy one, but the recent experience and threads of some members have always kept me away from it. I don't want to buy a skoda today and come back complaining about service related issues on this forum after a few months.

There are plenty of options available in Indian market, choose a brand that gives you peace of mind, easy and accessible service, better resale and a trouble free ownership.

Moreover, as Gemi_kk has mentioned that this car has already lived its life cycle and can be phased out any time.

Weigh for yourself the option of a little fun and thrill of driving with not so good customer care service, lost peace of mind, daily calling service centre and inquiring about an update for spares, writing blogs full of anger on social media.

If you still have enough time to tackle the nuisances that come with it, you may choose to buy one.
Old 11th February 2014, 23:17   #6168
Senior - BHPian

The reason to buy a fiat finally boils down to an appreciation for the ride, build and steering feedback, the last is also the reason for good handling. Buy a diesel because its the sensible choice, go through the ownership threads to get an idea of the maintenance. It works out to about .5 per km including suspension bits and brake pads. Its more expensive than certain Maruti models, but even the oh so German Polo does not get ABS unless you get the top end. The Dynamic option is a good balance.

Talk to people who have a Punto/Linea, the spares and service for these are entirely different from the Palio experience. The cost of the mirror cap is 85, the mirror itself around 260. The spares may take time but its not exactly a Fiat specialty, other brands have similar horror stories. You need not be a billionaire to afford one and emi high bills come when you change brake pads, that is true of any car. I can assure that anyone who drives a Punto will appreciate the brakes something you can't ignore , the marutis have terrible reputation here, considering enforced speed limits in Kerala expect about 20 kmpl.
avira_tk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 23:26   #6169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Hello, After some deliberations have gathered enough courage to decide on a Fiat Punto. But before making the final splash deemed is sensible to ask here about a few things? Hows the serviceability of Fiat cars? Have they improved over the years? Are there issues with spare parts availability? Any review of Fiat dealer in Kochi, Hyson ? Anyone who can help, please !!!
If you have only these questions in mind then go ahead and buy with eyes closed.
FIAT has come a long way and is at its best phase ever. 100 centres in less than a year? They are serious and damn serious and it shows in their response and attitude.
Servicing of the fiat vehicle is one of the lowest.
Spares availability is no more a concerns.
Hyson reviewers were good initially but off late many complaints.

I agree with gemi_kk on resale part but I am sure with the passing time! and fiat regaining its confidence punto and linea resale value will be good.
On the phasing out, it is true that current model got discontinued in Europe but India it just just started.
Like any other manufacturer you will see face lifts but it will continue to exist for good amount of time.

Btw which variant you are planing to buy?
mchanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 08:58   #6170
Senior - BHPian

It is a wrong perecption that if a Punto owner sings praises about the car, somebody or the other would buy it. people buy the car when they can enjoy the car and afford it not because the service network is great or spares are cheaper. Gone are the days when a Honda or a parsi owned car would command a huge premium in the used car market.

So @Prmd_cochin, what would you prefer? Buy the highest selling car or the car that interests you. I am sure you must have test driven a lot many cars including the Punto, would suggest you to list down the pros and cons of each and then decide.

If you ask me I would suggest Punto any time as it is in league with any of its competitors. The service is improving definitely, spares are being streamlined and there will always be a scope of improvement unlike saturation with some manufacturers. Even I took an informed decision about the purchase coz I liked being seen in Punto rather than in any other hacthback.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 10:09   #6171
Senior - BHPian

FIAT has been trying so hard for nearly 2 decades and still are struggling to say the least.

I have had a similar experience with a manufacturer (GM) that has been more successful but by not much. I bought a Car (Corsa) in Oct 2003 that had little demand and huge discounts, simply because I liked it. Fair enough at that time.

However, the car started giving problems mainly electrical from around early 2005 (just beyond the date of warranty expiration). From then on, it was fine to drive but required a visit to the workshop every 2-4 months or so.

Finally replaced it with Corolla in Mar 2007. The Corsa remained in the family as a spare car. It was finally sold in mid 2012 at a price which would have perhaps covered the metal content in the car but not much more. Only 50,000 and I could get a buyer after a long time.

I would not like to alienate people by implying an analogy but this is what I got from buying (a) a more or less flop car manufacturer (b) a certified flop of a car. I bought a car that I liked `at the time' but then regretted it after 2-3 years and paid for my decision over the course of 8-9 years.

Last edited by vasudeva : 12th February 2014 at 10:19.
Old 12th February 2014, 10:17   #6172
BHPian

I do agree with Gemi on the fact that the person who buys it is the ultimate person to decide.
I own two punto 90 Hps found the cost of ownership manageable. The expensive bits are the brake pads which cost close to 2750 but i don't mind paying for the quality it offers.

Why on earth you wanna buy a Punto?

A punto is not bought by the average joe. Its a bought by a person who knows what he wants. If he wants a normal car then he has the liberty to buy a Swift and be happy.

Depreciation i do admit. But do we buy a car to sell??? Any car sold after 5 years almost earns the same. I bought a car for 7.60 in 2011 did around 60k and sold it for 5.30 in 2013 and i think that was quite good a sale commending fiats bad reputation on resale.

When was Punto Launched? When is it going to be sacked?

The puntos design is aged and its the end of the product life cycle. But some designs are timeless and thats what its bought for.

How difficult is to procure spares for Fiats?

I do agree that you would be opening a love story book with the service guys in case of issues. But its comparatively less nowadays and they have improved a lot over the days. But again its luck and an unlucky day you are sure that woes do happen.

How difficult is to get it repaired?

If you stick to the service schedule then i don't think you are going to face issues. Accident repairs vary.

Now, Do you wanna Buy one?

Merits have been discussed and that's why we all prefer it. Build like a tank and its a matter of live and death. There is no point in the slogan live to ride if you are not alive.
Nimish anthony is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 10:24   #6173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimish anthony View Post
Merits have been discussed and that's why we all prefer it. Build like a tank and its a matter of live and death. There is no point in the slogan live to ride if you are not alive.
I have no issues at all with any of your statements. You like the car and that is it.

However, I do have certain doubts as to the last statement. I guess one has to recall the car that Princess Diana was in when she died. I do not feel the need to say anything more.
vasudeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 10:47   #6174
BHPian

The death of princess diana is still a hot topic to debate on which is still to find answers. I shared the experience because a friend had a head on collision at three digit speeds with a safari and all 4 on board managed to come out alive. At the end its luck and i dont vouch for the merits of the particular brand. Lets continue with the discussion on the merits and demerits which would be of help to those who are looking for a particular car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
I have no issues at all with any of your statements. You like the car and that is it.

However, I do have certain doubts as to the last statement. I guess one has to recall the car that Princess Diana was in when she died. I do not feel the need to say anything more.
Nimish anthony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 10:52   #6175
Senior - BHPian

I am going off topic but this is the sad truth. I hope Fiat India reads this. This is a third party account. A colleague (A Grande Punto owner) accompanies his friend to the Hyundai showroom to check out the new i10. The sales executive happens to ask them what other car they were considering and it is a Punto. The Hyundai sales executive tells them, Sir, you may go ahead and buy a Fiat, I guarantee that you will come back after six months regretting your decision.

The above was too harsh on the Hyundai executives part but I guess he is right. If something goes very wrong with a Fiat, you are in serious trouble. It is going the exact same way as the Uno, Palio, Sienna days. Nothing has changed.

This colleague has been waiting for over a month to resolve a compressor drone issue on this Punto. Replacement compressor was ordered over a month ago and there is still no sign of it.

From the day I got my T Jet, there has been a minor dashboard rattle. Seems to be coming from around the windscreen air vent, located ahead of the driver and from plastic near the left front quarter glass. I am too scared to ask the service centre to lift the entire dashboard to check on the problem. I can live with it as the noise is not annoying and it isn't there all the time.

You can buy a Fiat. Do brace yourself for delays in parts arriving. You might want to take really good care of your ride too.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 12th February 2014 at 10:54.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 11:32   #6176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
Hello,
After some deliberations have gathered enough courage to decide on a Fiat Punto.
This can easily turn into mass-market v/s slow moving brands’ debate

You’ve mentioned that the homework is done, and you’ve thought through the pros and cons.
Irrespective of their market standings, I see Fiat as a brand which will stay on Indian market. And year-on-year they do bring in updates to their cars based on the market reactions. If you’ve really liked the car, go ahead and buy it. In my opinion, when it comes to cars buy what you want to drive rather than what others want you to drive. Irrespective of the brand, do check around for feedback on your local dealership. And I believe Punto is due for a refresh soon. So probably worth waiting for that.
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 11:51   #6177
BHPian

A key point to consider is the type of relationship you have or can build with the service center in your city. There's hardly any standard or benchmark for honouring/rejecting warranties. While certain genuine cases get rejected in the name of 'normal wear and tear', there are instances of absolutely glaring abuse by customer being honoured under warranty. Before people attack me for crying foul due to 'sour grapes', let me state that I do enjoy relatively decent relationship with the nearest FASS and my assertion is based on my observation, not hearsay.

Mechanically, Punto is one of the best hatchbacks available in the country, and you won't be able to find a better package of ride, handling, and safety.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 16:17   #6178
gemi_kk

I am not trying to discourage any of you. But i see that Everyone agrees on the the following,
- Fiat has launched 100 + service stations. And they are aggressive in Indian market.
- Fiat is trying to improvise customer experience. (Joke. Why? read the complete post)
- Procuring spares isn't that difficult (But still it is Much difficult when compared to MS or Hyundai)

But remember that, Fiat plan is to plonk in 2500 Cr into Indian market to improvise their brand & sales. What ever we saw the test mules of Jeep wrangler testing, Cherokee testing, and then their pull backs. All these money is being paid from these 2500 Cr. Punto spares are cheap. And this is the reason. Forcefully priced below their standards. It wont last long.

How i see is,
Boy, More negeatives than Positives.

Buy a used one, which is in good shape. It shouldn't matter much.
You can appreciate the engineering, beauty, handling and other stuff. & then its easy to maintain and live with it.
Fix up all damaged panels, If any & Get new interiors done as per your taste. Give her a complete service. you are good to go.

I am surprised to see that, No one has suggested a Used fiat. We have an excellent thread which explains how one could buy a used car.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 12th February 2014 at 16:21. Reason: Adding value.

Old 12th February 2014, 16:41   #6179
BHPian

Woa lots of negative comments on Fiat. Any ways let me just type in my experience. Almost 3 years back when I decided to buy a Punto, every person I knew was telling me its a bad decision. But somehow I was not convinced with any other hatchback available at that time. Went ahead and got an E-Red Punto MJD EPack. Have covered 45k kms till now, enjoyed every km I have driven.

Service cost is manageable Rs 650 (1st service), Rs 5550 (2nd service), Rs 11000 (3rd service, all fluids and brake pads changed) and Rs 8225 (4th service). Got an average mileage of 17 km/l for the 45k kms driven.

Did the 4th service at Hyson Cochin, can't say they are excellent, but they were able to do the job to my satisfaction, till now I have not faced any spare parts issue.

To buy a Punto or not is your decision, go with what you like.
nkg77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 18:27   #6180
Senior - BHPian

I have no intention to explain my side here.

I bought a Punto MJD Emotion Pack in June 2010. It was the top-of-the-line model then. The car took us to so many places and it covered a good 70K kms in 3.5 years. Among these journeys, 7 or 8 were to the service center for routine services. But the interiors were all shabby and dirty due to tear and wear.

I saw an ad on Jan 19, 2014: Fiat is offering a cool 1 lakh discount for 2013 models plus a MMI navigator worth of 14K as freebie. Talked to the Mohandas Fiat guys and yes, they have a top-of-the-line Punto Sport 90HP in stock. They offered a reverse sensor and mud flaps as dealer-side freebies. But I have no color choice because they have only one Sport and that is Exotica Red.

No one in my family hesitated even for a moment. Exchanged our trusted one for the new red belle.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-20140129499-copy.jpg  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 12th February 2014 at 18:30.
sandeepmdas is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed