Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2014, 12:21   #6421
BHPian

Rear wiper problem

Has anyone faced a problem with rear wipers? After a monsoon trip my rear wipers have started acting weird. When I flick rear wiper dial for a moment, I should get one rear wipe and wiper blade should return to it's rest position. In my case it continues for several wipes.

Similarly, when I do wash and wipe operation, it should do it for requisite number of times and stop. In my case the wiper wipes for 7- 8 times and stops at some random position instead of rest position.

I have shown it to Fiat and so far they have replaced wiper motor, relay, wiper stalk (in that sequence) with no success.

Any clues?

Last edited by dmplog : 2nd October 2014 at 12:24.
Old 2nd October 2014, 12:54   #6422
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rear wiper problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Has anyone faced a problem with rear wipers? After a monsoon trip my rear wipers have started acting weird. When I flick rear wiper dial for a moment, I should get one rear wipe and wiper blade should return to it's rest position. In my case it continues for several wipes.

Similarly, when I do wash and wipe operation, it should do it for requisite number of times and stop. In my case the wiper wipes for 7- 8 times and stops at some random position instead of rest position.

I have shown it to Fiat and so far they have replaced wiper motor, relay, wiper stalk (in that sequence) with no success.

Any clues?
The Body Computer Module is responsible for this operation and most others. Get the BCM checked. As a first step, get the contacts cleaned with electronic cleaning spray.

Additionally there is a component which is related to wipers in the engine bay, near the top of the firewall. Not sure if that is the relay, which you have already replaced.
DRIV3R is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 15:00   #6423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The Body Computer Module is responsible for this operation and most others. Get the BCM checked. As a first step, get the contacts cleaned with electronic cleaning spray.
Thanks. Will get BCM checked. Is this same as ECU? I have a feeling that it's a ecu module corruption.

Additionally there is a component which is related to wipers in the engine bay, near the top of the firewall. Not sure if that is the relay, which you have already replaced.[/quote]

Yes. That's the relay.
Old 2nd October 2014, 15:51   #6424
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
Thanks. Will get BCM checked. Is this same as ECU? I have a feeling that it's a ecu module corruption.
Nope. It is different and takes care of most electronic operations. It is present near the fuse box within the car, below the steering on the right.
DRIV3R is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 00:11   #6425
BHPian

Quote:
It depends on the amount of traffic you faced. 13.5kmpl with 100%AC ON in comparatively high traffic is a good mileage - considering the fact that you would've used 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears mostly.
I agree. It has reduced occasionally and even increased a little sometimes.

Quote:
Bound to improve over time ?

May be not too much, perhaps by another km or 2, that's it !!

That's what I have been getting for the last 5 years on my Punto within the city (Bangalore). Its also to do with the terrible turbo lag in crawling speeds and the fact that it does not allow upshifts due to the stop and go traffic :banghead:

Highway runs however will yield close to 20 km/l figures.
I took it out on the expressway and it did give me an amazing average of 23 while driving as sedately as I can for about 10 kms. So that confirms that there's nothing wrong with the mileage in my car
Old 26th October 2014, 22:40   #6426

Used Fiat Punto 1.4 Emotion or Linea 1.4 Dynamic or Fiesta 1.6?

Dear Bhpians,

This is my very first post on Team BHP. I have been a fan of the forum since half a decade and i absolutely love it.

Now, i have been in the process of finding myself a used car. I have shortlisted the Fiat Punto/Linea and Ford Fiesta petrol based on their handling dynamics, ride and build quality. I have already done my research on the Fiats.

After weeks of searching, i have shortlisted two cars: 1) Fiat Punto 1.4 Emotion 2009, 29000 Kms done 2) Fiat Linea 1.4 Dynamic 2009, 35000 Kms done

Fiat Linea:
My first drive was in the Linea and i liked the car. The service record was comprehensive. The gear box was very rubbery and vague. Hence I left it out as a last option. Also, the car felt a lil under powered due to its sheer weight and relatively small engine. The price quoted is INR 2.5 lakh

Fiat Punto 1.4:
The car was good to look at from the outside. The long test ride went well. But i was taken aback quite a bit once i opened the bonnet to find rust in the following places: Sheet metal separating the engine bay and passenger compartment and at other places as evident from the picture. I also found rust on the bodyline (correct me if the part i talk of is not the bodyline) on the right side door sill. The bonnet is also heavily rusted and repainted. There is a spot of rust on the rear hatch lid too.

I took a through test drive of the car and took it to Tuli Fiat in Wazirpur, Delhi. They did an overall check of the vehicle and stated that the clutch and the disc pads need replacement. Everything else was in good condition including the suspension, A/C, electrical etc.

The car has a full service record with the clutch slave cylinder and A/C kit replaced under warranty.

I loved driving the car every bit but i am really bothered about the rusting situation. The car is being offered to me at a very tempting INR 1.4 Lakh.

The Service manager said that the car is a good buy at the price but the rusting will be a problem after 2-3 years. I am open to getting the car treated for anti rust but i am not sure how good the job would be at saving the car from further deterioration. What if there is rust in places which cant be seen with out dismantling parts? The rust on the sheet separating the engine bay and passenger compartment is bothersome as the entire bonnet has to be emptied to fix it.

Also, i have read several threads on rust issues with fiats of 2009 make. My heart loves the Punto 1.4 but they are very hard to come by in the used car market.

Please suggest if i should go ahead with the purchase!

I wish to use the car for atleast two years and have a budget of INR 50,000 or a bit more for repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto-rust-1.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto-rust-2.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto-rust-3.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto-rust-4.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto-rust-5.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-punto-rust-6.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_20141026_115720931.jpg  

devildriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 10:13   #6427
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Fiat Punto 1.4 Emotion or Linea 1.4 Dynamic or Fiesta 1.6?

Be patient and let it go. The fact that the bonnet is already painted in places somehow hints that the previous owner tried sorting the rusting issues but could not unless it had an accident.

There is no use going for a car which already has rust.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 11:49   #6428
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the images and going by your description, please stay away from these cars. Rust is unacceptable in a place like Delhi and for a car that is only 5 years old. This is a clear enough indication of poor maintenance. The engine will hold up well, nothing else will. Sorting Fiat cars are a pain too.

If you have 2.5 lac in hand to buy a used Fiat, why not put this amount as a down payment for a new Punto Evo 1.4. Discounts are massive for the 1.4 petrol variant. There might me unsold 1.4l Grande Punto inventory too and the deals are sure to be sweet.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 14:58   #6429
BHPian

The pictures suggest that the current owner has not given the proper attention and care to his car, poor Punto.

I will never suggest buying a car which has got rust at so many parts and as the service manager at Tuli has said that it will be a problem after 2-3 years and at the same time if you wish to sell it then it will be a major issue.

The other things apart from suspension/clutch/body/interior which you should check while considering this punto or any other pre-owned car are: tyres and battery, if both need early replacement then be prepared to put some more money in your car apart from other immediate expenses that you wish to do first-day to keep your car in good shape.

In this case, 5 year+ old tyres have almost completed their life even if they had not travelled much as they become a bit hard and prone to punctures.

Take your time, search for any other option.

You can search Team-BHP classified also.

Last edited by SaurabhSaran : 27th October 2014 at 15:02.
SaurabhSaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 16:04   #6430
Senior - BHPian

Pls.avoid both the cars.

FIAT is known to have high maintenance bills.

If you are looking at a fun to drive, why not check out the below:

1) Maruti Swift Type 2
2) Ford Fiesta(Now Classic)
3) Chevy Optra(if you are ok for a Fiat, Chevy could be given a try)

Best Option:

Use the amount as a down payment and get a new Swift Vxi.
If you are adamant on a Punto, you can get the Evo Active at a good bargain.
Old 27th October 2014, 16:45   #6431
Distinguished - BHPian

If there is rust on any car, new or used there is only one thing to do and that is walk away. Short of that you have to be prepared to encounter rot patches at any point of time which will need extensive sanding down and respray to cure. I'm sure you have not looked into window/door rubber seals which maybe more potential locations for the rust in a vulnerable car. They have botched up the fix in this model.

If you like the way a Fiat drives, and since you are going for used I'd recommend only the Punto 1.4 as it will be cheaper to maintain, but not the one you have shortlisted. 29k kms is way too short to replace the clutch system on that one and it obviously wasn't maintained too well.

There is no small hatch with a naturally aspirated petrol 1.4 engine at a sane price, except the Getz which I have and a 1.4 Punto as well which you could buy at a little over 2L. If service is a concern, buy the Getz else a better maintained Punto.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 01:06   #6432
Senior - BHPian

Leave these cars and look around for other examples. The problem with Tuli motors is that while they are very nice people there is not one single person there who will take ownership and look thoroughly at the cars that come in for exchange or service. I would not rely on their assessment of any vehicle.

Try with Kashyap(Okhla/Greater Noida) and Oberoi(Noida sector 53 or 63) motors and even with Raghuvanshi in Dilshad garden, all of them are technically more thorough with their inspections.

Pre 2010 the boffins at Tata were involved in all aspects including procurement of raw materials and the less said about their buying practices the better and this from my own experience and of those in my business circle. 2010 onwards things have been improving including things not getting rusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildriver View Post
Also, i have read several threads on rust issues with fiats of 2009 make. My heart loves the Punto 1.4 but they are very hard to come by in the used car market.

Please suggest if i should go ahead with the purchase!

I wish to use the car for atleast two years and have a budget of INR 50,000 or a bit more for repairs.

Err how high are these "high maintenance bills" ? and is this based on your own ownership experience or from reading about others experiences or just hearsay? Being a Fiat owner myself I am concerned as to what I may be staring at in the future in terms of big ticket maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Pls.avoid both the cars.

FIAT is known to have high maintenance bills.

If you are adamant on a Punto, you can get the Evo Active at a good bargain.

Last edited by khoj : 28th October 2014 at 01:08. Reason: responding to an additional post
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 07:40   #6433
BHPian

I am a proud owner of fiat Punto emotion plus. It was the second car to be sold in Bangalore when it was launched. I had absolutely had no issues so far with the maintenance. In fact my car has run close to one lakh kilometer. The original clutch and suspension is still good though I feel it is time to change the suspension. Other than changing my windshield I had no major replacements done. I had once had problems with my AC where the gas got leaked completely. I had to go to the service center only once or max twice a year (not every year) for getting service done for my car. It all depends on how well you take care of the car.

Last edited by sridharp77 : 28th October 2014 at 07:42.
sridharp77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 09:10   #6434
BHPian

Hi mods, it seems there is a mix up of threads. What Fiat Punto Grand test drive and review got to do with comparison of second hand ill maintained Punto with other second hand cars? Hope these can be covered on other threads.

Having said that, my advise devildriver will be, whatever is the car one buys, please go for a new car. When you buy a used car you are also buying accumulated problems. I am speaking from experience. After my first Maruti 800 second hand, I decided I will never buy a second hand.

Last edited by alavandar : 28th October 2014 at 09:16. Reason: second para added
alavandar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 09:59   #6435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

Err how high are these "high maintenance bills" ? and is this based on your own ownership experience or from reading about others experiences or just hearsay? Being a Fiat owner myself I am concerned as to what I may be staring at in the future in terms of big ticket maintenance.
Dear Khoj

This is not hearsay and based out of my own experience of owning different Fiat cars over the years.

There is no doubt that they are fantastic cars. But then, the ASC are quite incompetent or more than that, callous in their attitude.

I have owned the beautiful Fiat Uno and sourcing the parts was not only difficult but extremely expensive as well.

Case in case, my clutch plate needed a overhaul. What is the estimate?
5-7K seemed logical.

For me, I had to shell out almost 12K++ that too from a FNG. Fiat ASC clearly specified they are incompetent in doing this.

ASC- Concorde Fiat at Jogeshwari. This is BTW a defunct unit later on taken over by Chevy.

Case 2:
Fiat Palio. Excellent Car but niggles galore.
1.2 Pre Stile model. The original Italian beauty.
This was owned by a friend and extensively used by me.

Again, brake booster goes kaput. ASC cannot source it.
Thanks to Prakash Motors, get the part. Expensive. 5K approx.

Another 3K goes for ancillary, fluids and labour.

Don't know if the scenarios have changed but knowing Fiat cars closely, wasn't a very cheap affair for me at least!!

Last edited by arnabchak : 28th October 2014 at 10:01.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks