Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2015, 11:07   #6541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Let me chip in with my experience in getting the struts replaced under warranty, I asked the question but I forgot to update my experience, although I did send a pm to someone. My boot strut failed after 4 years or so and I guess the reason is the daily security check at office, at about 1500 operations or so and the majority done by careless people, you can't complain about the quality. The extended warranty covers replacement.
Old 21st May 2015, 00:04   #6542
BHPian

Dear folks,

In my Punto 90hp, I am getting a slight vibration along with some small jittering sound while I fully turn the steering onto the right side, it is tough listen or feel this, it happens when the steering is almost turned right (in the last rotation to the right), you can only feel it in a less noisy environment. Have you guys have faced any such issue? Hope I could get your insight.

Sai
Old 21st May 2015, 07:04   #6543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
Dear folks,

In my Punto 90hp, I am getting a slight vibration along with some small jittering sound while I fully turn the steering onto the right side, it is tough listen or feel this, it happens when the steering is almost turned right (in the last rotation to the right), you can only feel it in a less noisy environment. Have you guys have faced any such issue? Hope I could get your insight.

Sai
That's the sound of power steering pump. It's normal, nothing to be worried about.
Old 21st May 2015, 09:32   #6544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
That's the sound of power steering pump. It's normal, nothing to be worried about.
Thanks for the reply Akshay.. Does this sound come only from the last right rotation of the steering?, because i do not feel this vibration while rotating the steering to left.
Old 26th May 2015, 11:33   #6545
BHPian

I have observed today as well, the last quarter right rotation of the steering wheel is inducing a mild Vibration along with Slight "Grrrrrrr" sound, this does not happen when I do a full rotation to left.

Last time when I brought up this issue, service personnel said, it is the same in all cars and there's no issue. Now a days, I am getting more annoyed with this behavior, I just want to make sure that this small vibration not to be cause of a breakdown in my drive.

I want fellow Punto/Linea owner's opinion before going to service center and escalate this issue, does your car also behaves the same? Please guide me on this.

Sai
Old 26th May 2015, 11:54   #6546
BHPian

Quote:
I have observed today as well, the last quarter right rotation of the steering wheel is inducing a mild Vibration along with Slight "Grrrrrrr" sound, this does not happen when I do a full rotation to left.
Hi Sai,
I have been driving Punto for 3 years and I also hear the some noise (with slight audible load on Engine) when the steering is turned completely in either of the direction. I read somewhere(User Manual) that this sound is normal and common with power steering systems. Another point that it is not recommended to turn the power steering completely and hold it in that position.

Last edited by ampere : 26th May 2015 at 11:55. Reason: Removed the completed quoted post and formatted text
Old 26th May 2015, 12:27   #6547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
Hi Sai,
I have been driving Punto for 3 years and I also hear the some noise (with slight audible load on Engine) when the steering is turned completely in either of the direction. I read somewhere(User Manual) that this sound is normal and common with power steering systems. Another point that it is not recommended to turn the power steering completely and hold it in that position.
I am relieved purohitanuj, thanks for your words. I did not know about the power steering turn and hold thing, I would not do that again wantedly .
Old 26th May 2015, 12:50   #6548
Senior - BHPian

^^ Hey guys for this slight vibration and noise on full lock, I think the elastic pads (front suspension) can also be the culprit. We had this happen and it was replaced under extended warranty.
Old 26th May 2015, 13:15   #6549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
^^ Hey guys for this slight vibration and noise on full lock, I think the elastic pads (front suspension) can also be the culprit. We had this happen and it was replaced under extended warranty.
In your case the vibration happened after full lock or in the last rotation of the steering? How could elastic pads interfere with steering system? Did you had any impact on the steering perfomance?
Old 26th May 2015, 13:28   #6550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear folks,

Sai
The elastic pads in the front suspension could be the issue, I had to have them replaced at 45000 kms, however, unlike member fiat_tarun's case, it was not covered under warranty. Total damage 2 years ago was 4500/- including labour.
Old 26th May 2015, 13:57   #6551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In your case the vibration happened after full lock or in the last rotation of the steering? How could elastic pads interfere with steering system? Did you had any impact on the steering perfomance?
It was not so noticeable when stationary, but when turning full lock and moving very slowly I could feel this slight vibration - for e.g parking and exiting from a tight basement parking. There was nothing noticeable in the drive / steering performance and everything else was normal.

Suspension is covered upto 30K km under warranty / extended warranty. Our Punto has run only 16k km in almost 5 years now.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 26th May 2015 at 13:59.
Old 26th May 2015, 15:22   #6552
BHPian

What will be the lifespan of the Elastic Pads in Punto?

In my case, one set of pads were replaced under warranty while Second Service @ 12K kms. As we speak, my car is doing 18K and I feel difference in the smoothness of the suspension over potholes and etc.., I fear the Elastic Pads are worn out causing to Steering Vibrations.
Old 29th May 2015, 17:58   #6553
BHPian

Quote:
What will be the lifespan of the Elastic Pads in Punto?

In my case, one set of pads were replaced under warranty while Second Service @ 12K kms. As we speak, my car is doing 18K and I feel difference in the smoothness of the suspension over potholes and etc.., I fear the Elastic Pads are worn out causing to Steering Vibrations.
Guys can I drive the vehicle (long drives) with this issue? You think it can wait until 3rd service which is due in December?

I have observed, the last quarter right rotation of the steering wheel is inducing a mild Vibration along with Slight "Grrrrrrr" sound, this does not happen when I do a full rotation to left.

Last time when I brought up this issue, service personnel said, it is the same in all cars and there's no issue. Now a days, I am getting more annoyed with this behavior, I just want to make sure that this small vibration not to be cause of a breakdown in my drive.

I want fellow Punto/Linea owner's opinion before going to service center and escalate this issue, does your car also behaves the same?

Guys can I drive the vehicle (long drives) with this issue? You think it can wait until 3rd service which is due in December? Pls suggest.

Sai

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2015 at 19:44. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 30th May 2015, 17:47   #6554
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I was driving my Punto from Chennai to Pondicherry last week, after crossing mahabalipuram (some 70 KMS from Chennai) I started hearing a sound that is similar to the sound of having small amount of water in a bottle and shaking under left dashboard. I stopped the car checked for any leakage, did not find any issue, had this issue still returning back to chennai. After returning back I do not hear any similar sounds. I believe it comes only when I take my Punto for a long drive. Has anyone faced similar problem? Any idea why this sound comes? Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sridhar
Old 30th May 2015, 18:05   #6555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj View Post

I was driving my Punto from Chennai to Pondicherry last week, after crossing mahabalipuram (some 70 KMS from Chennai) I started hearing a sound that is similar to the sound of having small amount of water in a bottle and shaking under left dashboard. I stopped the car checked for any leakage, did not find any issue, had this issue still returning back to chennai. After returning back I do not hear any similar sounds.
I had a similar problem coming from the right rear door during monsoons. Under the door, I lifted the rubber covering and water flowed out of the door and the noise was gone. I am, however, not sure what your problem could be specially since you say it disappeared on it's own. Is your carpet getting wet? Maybe there was some leakage from the Air con?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks