Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 23:42   #646
BHPian

Rama motors okhla had promised me delivery of the car on or before 15th july.
Now they say it'll be post 20th july.I had booked the car on the 23rd of june,and these guys didn't even offer a single freebie on the car!!!

This wait is getting loooonnnnnng.
Old 11th July 2009, 04:39   #647
BHPian

Punto Fire or MJD?

Hello Friends,

Can anyone compare Punto 1.4L Fire engine Vs 1.3L MJD? I see many of the TBhpians inclined towards to MJD and have read many articles on the same. I'm planning to buy Punto 1.4L fire petrol as my firsta car and hence need all TBhpians advice on the same.
Here are my requirements with a budget of 5-6.5L ->

1. Low Maintenance cost.
2. Good After sales service. (little worried on TATA-Fiat JV)
3. Good power and pick up with a dependable engine.
Good mileage when compared to it's peers in same category.
4. Low cost on spare parts.
5. Mainly for city driving and an occasional long drive. (200-250 KM/Month)
6. Decent leg room and boot space.
7. Last but not the least, a Very good value for money.

I have short listed Fiat Grande Punto 1.4l Fire Petrol or MJD, Hyundai i20 Asta (O). Need your advice in chosing my dream vehicle and would like to hear all the +/- of owning a 1.4 L Fire Punto.
I assume that it is not off topic and apologize in advance.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th July 2009, 06:08   #648
BHPian

I own a punto dynamic model in UK. The interior quality of punto in India for base model looks rubbish and the plastic look too cheap compare to UK. But you cant say much about it as the pricing is quite good.
Old 11th July 2009, 10:36   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilenow View Post
Rama motors okhla had promised me delivery of the car on or before 15th july.
Now they say it'll be post 20th july.I had booked the car on the 23rd of june,and these guys didn't even offer a single freebie on the car!!!

This wait is getting loooonnnnnng.
Persist, I've received my car yesterday from the same place. Which color ?
Old 11th July 2009, 10:57   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
How is that possible ?

I do agree that the so called "enthusiasts" are getting turned off. But how many are buying the Fiesta S, Magnum and Cedia?

I think it is a good starting strategy by Fiat to bring out very fuel efficient cars and feature packed.

More power can come later. How much does it take to convert the NA 1.4 to T-Jet 1.4 or fit the already existing VGT in linea?
Sushanth I absolutely agree to what you are saying. Fiat has been notoriously known for fuel efficiency. Its an uphill task for them to change the imagery.
We T-bhpians would regret, but true, cars are being sold for fuel efficiency and not outright performance.
See the case of Alto. good fuel efficiency horrible performance with A/c.
Old 11th July 2009, 10:58   #651
BHPian

Wipers of GP/Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
The front windshield wipers of GP /Linea are completely different than the other cars.
1. What are they called?
2. How are they better than the conventional wipers?
3. Knowing the manace of wiper blade thefts, Does anyone have an idea of the replacement cost?
Mods, I think this needs to be moved to "technical". Can you please do the needful?
Old 11th July 2009, 17:40   #652
BHPian

G.Punto kerb weight comparo

Here is another comparo - In this, I have compared Grande Punto's (Petrol and Diesel) kerb weight with that of other cars in the B+ and higher segments. This comparo gives a good idea about G.Punto’s heavy / solid built quality. G.Punto puts other sedans to shame when it comes to kerb weight. Only the recently launched i20 CRDi with a bigger 1.4L engine is slightly heavier than the G.Punto MJD.

Note: Kerb weight of higher spec model is taken for most cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-g.p.-wt.-comparo.jpg  

Old 11th July 2009, 19:08   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Here is another comparo - In this, I have compared Grande Punto's (Petrol and Diesel) kerb weight with that of other cars in the B+ and higher segments. This comparo gives a good idea about G.Punto’s heavy / solid built quality. G.Punto puts other sedans to shame when it comes to kerb weight. Only the recently launched i20 CRDi with a bigger 1.4L engine is slightly heavier than the G.Punto MJD.

Note: Kerb weight of higher spec model is taken for most cars.
But, more the weight lesser the Power to Weight ratio. So, more SHAME.

G.Punto - 76 ps - 1190kg - power to wt.= 0.0638

i 20 - 90 ps - 1222 kg - power to wt. = 0.073

Indica Vista - 75 ps - 1140 kg - power to wt. = 0.065
Old 11th July 2009, 20:29   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
But, more the weight lesser the Power to Weight ratio. So, more SHAME.

G.Punto - 76 ps - 1190kg - power to wt.= 0.0638

i 20 - 90 ps - 1222 kg - power to wt. = 0.073

Indica Vista - 75 ps - 1140 kg - power to wt. = 0.065
Widespread penetration of Japanese and Korean tinboxes have this sort of effect on the average Indian's psyche. Power is nothing without control and handling. I've never had a planted feel in any Japanese or Korean car. Also a heavy car with a diesel engine is the safest and most economical combination very much accepted in Europe. Sorry, I might be a bit
Old 11th July 2009, 20:35   #655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
Persist, I've received my car yesterday from the same place. Which color ?
Medium Gray,I visited the showroom today,and vola to my surprise a mjd[e-pack],medium gray was there on the gate. When i enquired with the salesman he was clueless about it.
They explained that their order for all punto's had suddenly "expired",i pressed him further to explain that,again he had no clue.

Part of the problem is that when i first visited the showroom on the 20th of june,the entire fiat staff was off duty.So i was assigned someone who primarily sells tata cars.He doesn't know jack about fiat cars but is a good person.
I thought 'who cares,who sells me this as long as i get the car",and well... ta-da!!

What accentuates my problem is that i have had two buyers with two very very lucrative offers for my 5 year old Santro [2lacs for the car,it is very very well maintained],walk away,just because i couldn't commit to a delivery date. And that was because of the showroom guys not committing to a delivery date.

The amount that i receive from the sale of the santro will be paid as part of the payment for GP.

And guess what,they still aren't committing to delivery date.
In 4 days i guess,i'll have to take the deal to ABS gurgaon,as i need the car due to certain unavoidable circumstances.

To top it all off,my uncle who deals primarily in cars and car equipment,is livid with me for buying a fiat,which in turn has the family raising eyebrows at this decision,and now since the delivery is delayed,all they are saying is "sigh,fiat!!",and i am tired of playing the marketing manager for the company.
Old 11th July 2009, 20:52   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Widespread penetration of Japanese and Korean tinboxes have this sort of effect on the average Indian's psyche. Power is nothing without control and handling. I've never had a planted feel in any Japanese or Korean car. Also a heavy car with a diesel engine is the safest and most economical combination very much accepted in Europe. Sorry, I might be a bit
True,
I lost control of a hyundai verna at the speed of 60 km/hr[hard to believe],just because there is a 110 bhp engine and absolutely no weight in the chassis to support that kind of power. The rear-end of the car completely went out of control,and i was skidding on the road for 5-7 seconds,with the rear end going from left to right.
[To anyone,who thinks i am bashing hyundai,well i've owned nothing but hyundai cars for the past 10 years]

Punto is octavia style heavy,this car just won't budge,it is really planted
Old 11th July 2009, 21:36   #657
rippergeo

Quote:
We could say the same about widespread penetration of (water)Tanks.
Get an amby, its heavier, and has a diesel engine.
Or load the most stable punto with sandbags to make it even more stable.

How heavy is the lotus elise?

Old 11th July 2009, 22:20   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
We could say the same about widespread penetration of (water)Tanks.
Get an amby, its heavier, and has a diesel engine.
Or load the most stable punto with sandbags to make it even more stable.
How heavy is the lotus elise?
No personal offense, but this is as dumb comparison as it gets, for following reasons:

1) Amby design is decades old and that is the reason it is heavier. It can not be compared with modern cars.

2) If the cars are from the same generation, obviously more solidly built cars tend to be heavier. No wonder, SX4 is much heavier than Baleno and Swift is heavier than Wagon-R or Altos. Same goes with OHC -> NHC -> AHNC. So the theory of Japanese cars being light by virtue of superior design to European design is nothing but a hogwash.

3) Formula-1 cars or most supercars are quite light but still very safe, but that is because they use special material like carbon fibre and so on. However, practical day-to-day cars don't use such fancy material.

I am not saying that just by adding weight, cars can be safer or better handlers, but at the same time, trashing better built cars as (water) tanks by comparing them with Ambys of yesteryears is quite ridiculous.
Old 11th July 2009, 22:38   #659
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post

I am not saying that just by adding weight, cars can be safer or better handlers, but at the same time, trashing better built cars as (water) tanks by comparing them with Ambys of yesteryears is quite ridiculous.
So what are the fiat lovers saying? Heavy is good, or heavy is bad?

And trashing light japanese/korean cars is ok?

Just to remind you,
I was replying to the post below
Quote:

Last edited by rippergeo : 11th July 2009 at 22:40.

Old 11th July 2009, 22:46   #660
BHPian

Please Help Guys !!!

BHP'ians,

Please go through my thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...booked-14.html

Post No.207 : Photographs of underside of my "yet to be delivered" Punto

and let me know your views.

I am fuming with anger right now.

Amogh

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 11th July 2009 at 22:49.

Most Viewed