Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2016, 21:35   #6691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
I am facing issue in my 2012 Jan MJD Punto 75HP which has run 36000km. Car takes longer time than usual to pick up speed.

What could be the reason ?

Have you compared this with AC on and OFF? Our 1.2 was struggling incase we turned on the AC. After adding the AC gas this issue was solved.
Old 12th April 2016, 10:00   #6692
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
I am facing issue in my 2012 Jan MJD Punto 75HP which has run 36000km. Car takes longer time than usual to pick up speed. But i am able touch 100kph in 2500RPM (turbo zone).

My mechanic suspects it could be weak clutch and needs full replacement and since he is non FASS he says he will source part form outside and charge can come upto 8k.

What i am experiencing is either due to bad diesel or weak clutch, but during our test drives there was no shudder or no slip, the revv was smooth, there is no leak in any hoses as well, inter cooler, turbo plumbing were tight no air leaks.

When was the last time you cleaned/ replaced your air filter? I think that is the easiest and simplest of the things you can do first. A clogged air filter drastically reduces the car's performance, so get that addressed first. If there is still marginal or no improvement then you can look at other things.
Old 12th April 2016, 13:12   #6693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Have you compared this with AC on and OFF?
This is MJD 1248 diesel version, not much difference with AC On and Off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
When was the last time you cleaned/ replaced your air filter?
Yes, but the Airfilter is just 2 months old. how can a two month old air filter driven mostly in city (no rural), clog that sooner ? Still will get it checked
Old 12th April 2016, 13:39   #6694
BHPian

Quote:

My mechanic suspects it could be weak clutch and needs full replacement and since he is non FASS he says he will source part form outside and charge can come upto 8k.

What i am experiencing is either due to bad diesel or weak clutch, but during our test drives there was no shudder or no slip, the revv was smooth, there is no leak in any hoses as well, inter cooler, turbo plumbing were tight no air leaks.

Your trusted mechanic is taking you for a jolly good ride at your expense. The issue is not with your cars clutch assembly. Period. It has to do with your air flow or fuel flow. Replace your fuel filter and also have your cars intercooler cleaned at a reputed place who do not ruin your car any further. Try to be at your babes side when the guy is meddling with her intercooler.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 13:57   #6695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Period. It has to do with your air flow or fuel flow.
Is this the classic symptom for air or fuel blockage ? Fuel filter was changed in Feb 2016, would it need replacement with in two months ?

Quote:
Have your cars inter-cooler cleaned at a reputed place who do not ruin your car any further.
Car has run 36k ~, will it really need attention at this mileage ? i thought clogged inter coolers are attended for high milers. Can OBD scan tell me that ?

Quote:
The issue is not with your cars clutch assembly.
Thanks Dr. Cant agree more, i am visiting the guy the very first time after reviews read about him on his genuineness. In the end he did advice me to get a test drive done by FASS before taking final call, he has dozens of cars to attend to and he was in a hurry, though we took time for a test drive and he made sure all hoses are tight and no air leaks any where.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 12th April 2016 at 14:02.
Old 14th April 2016, 13:13   #6696
BHPian

Quote:
Is this the classic symptom for air or fuel blockage ? Fuel filter was changed in Feb 2016, would it need replacement with in two months ?
Car has run 36k ~, will it really need attention at this mileage ? i thought clogged inter coolers are attended for high milers. Can OBD scan tell me that ?
At 36000km the intercooler should be as good as new. Fuel filter is too young to be the culprit. Even so I would still say it is a fuel flow issue if your car is not belching out smoke. If its belching smoke then it is likely a fuel metering problem due to malfunctioning lambda sensor or MASS sensor. Your car's obd port with torque pro should give you some clue after you understand the normal values when connected to another normally functioning car.
Old 14th April 2016, 13:32   #6697
BANNED

Quote:
What is the turbo boost you are experiencing? Any kind of kick?

EGR Valve and intercooler can be checked once.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 15:28   #6698
BHPian

Problem could be pretty trivial :
Try the following
1. Clean the Air Filter completely and try
2. Change the air filter and try.

I have a Palio Diesel which has run 140,000 km. Sometimes, when you drive in Highways behind trucks regularly, Air filter chokes.
If you have not tried, try this it should work.
sukheshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2016, 15:14   #6699
BHPian

Quote:
Your car's obd port with torque pro should give you some clue after you understand the normal values when connected to another normally functioning car.
Will the Bluetooth elm327 available in Amazon do the job ?? Will try this dr. I am on a road trip now with four on board I had to revv more to gain speed but managed to 100kph in 2500rpm. No black smoke checked the rvm constantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What is the turbo boost you are experiencing? Any kind of kick?
It's very linear always cannot make out anything specific the very evident boost I experienced in this car ere once I did a ghat section with four on board there was good boost post 2k rpm. In flat roads none what so ever

EGR Valve and intercooler can be checked once.
Will check egr sure dr. Advices intercooler is highely unlikely for the miles my vehicle has clocked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukheshkumar View Post
Try the following
1. Clean the Air Filter completely and try
2. Change the air filter and try.
Sure follow up point 1 first sukesh. Air filter is just 2 months old less miles clocked post replacement.
Old 15th April 2016, 16:59   #6700
BANNED

Quote:
Will check egr sure dr. Advices intercooler is highely unlikely for the miles my vehicle has clocked.
What I feel is the EGR valve could be malfunctioning.

But EGR being the main cause could be only 40% chance or else you would have got smoke which you aren't noticing.

How is the FE? Checked it lately?
Old 16th April 2016, 18:32   #6701
BHPian

Quote:
Will the Bluetooth elm327 available in Amazon do the job ??

No black smoke checked the rvm constantly.
The elm327 on ebay saved me Rs 65000. The company asked me to change the high pressure fuel pump but the elm said otherwise and the elm was right.
Your issue looks like a fueling issue. Fueling issue if your mass sensor is working correctly could also be due to pressurized air leakage that is plumbing aft of the turbo upto the inlet valve of the combustion chamber. Have you done a compression test.

IN the elm and torque pro check for boost pressures and fuel pressures and whether it is within normal values.
Old 17th April 2016, 17:01   #6702
BHPian

Quote:
What I feel is the EGR valve could be malfunctioning. How is the FE? Checked it lately?
In city i am get 16.5 kpl constant. How to figure out if egr is malfunctioning.

Quote:
Your issue looks like a fueling issue. Fueling issue if your mass sensor is working correctly could also be due to pressurized air leakage that is plumbing aft of the turbo upto the inlet valve of the combustion chamber. Have you done a compression test.
I did 120kph with 4 onboard, post a pit stop the car felt easier, prior to stop it struggled to do 120 post the break, it did with ease. I have verified for air leaks and none for now dr. mechanic has verified it.. all are air tight. but car takes longer and strains when starting from 0kph. No compression test done so far. could you elaborate your issue please?

Quote:
IN the elm and torque pro check for boost pressures and fuel pressures and whether it is within normal values.
Will do that, but do you have reference values. from where did you obtain the baseline values. Would be grateful if you could pass on that info dr. Also any pics about elm install in the fuse box?
Old 17th April 2016, 17:23   #6703
BANNED

Quote:
In city i am get 16.5 kpl constant. How to figure out if egr is malfunctioning.

Will do that, but do you have reference values. from where did you obtain the baseline values. Would be grateful if you could pass on that info dr. Also any pics about elm install in the fuse box?
Here is the screen shot from my OBD 2 reader on my Swift.

EGR solenoid duty cycle is at 0% when:

1. Under acceleration and
2. No accelerator input (coasting in gear).

Under acceleration:
Name:  ForumRunner_20160417_172314.png
Views: 1158
Size:  154.0 KB

Coasting in gear:
Name:  ForumRunner_20160417_172319.png
Views: 1096
Size:  152.6 KB

During other conditions, EGR solenoid duty is around 47-50%

Last edited by a4anurag : 17th April 2016 at 17:26.
Old 17th April 2016, 20:19   #6704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I did 120kph with 4 onboard, post a pit stop the car felt easier, prior to stop it struggled to do 120 post the break, it did with ease.
The "pit stop" you refer to translates to a switch off- switch on cycle. Since your car behaved normally post the cycle, can you monitor the car and see if it's the same case every time?
If it is so, and if your car is still under warranty, try pushing for a ECU replacement. A friend had the same inexplicable power loss issue and, even though done as a last resort, the ECU change surprisingly solved the issue for him.
Old 18th April 2016, 00:10   #6705
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the screen shot from my OBD 2 reader on my Swift. During other conditions, EGR solenoid duty is around 47-50%
Thanks Lot Anurag, this is reference material for my next step analysis. I will post screenshots soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
The "pit stop" you refer to translates to a switch off- switch on cycle. Since your car behaved normally post the cycle, can you monitor the car and see if it's the same case every time?
If it is so, and if your car is still under warranty,
Car has crossed 4 year period. i will monitor the vehicle again and report back, the pit stop was a breather and engine was turned off for 15 odd minutes.

Can you explain your friends case in little more detail? Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks