Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 17:44   #31
BHPian

@GTO:

That was a high quality and a detailed review with a lot of pics. Your review was the most awaited one after the Punto Launch for me atleast.

Some points

1) Is the big turning radius a bit of bother.

2) It is shocking to see that the rear window glass does not go down fully. Was it on the car you drove or that is how it is. Irritant if it is so.

3) Is the ride in city stiff in or softer or balanced.

4) Do you think the interior quality of the materials used in Linea and Punto are different if the parts are the same.

5) The braking does it feel adequate and confidence inspiring. Is it the best of teh hatch backs.

6) Would like you to consider gathering some stats like 0-60 or 0-10o timings and Fuel efficiency of your trip when you drive the new cars next time around.

I loved the review of yours and am proud to be part of this forum.

Last edited by muni : 20th June 2009 at 17:45.
Old 20th June 2009, 17:51   #32
BHPian

nice review GTO.FIAT got one new owner with this review !
btw like many before have said a 0-100kmph timing would be nice to know.
Old 20th June 2009, 17:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
It is shocking to see that the rear window glass does not go down fully. Was it on the car you drove or that is how it is. Irritant if it is so.
It's common to all Fiat's. More importantly, it's a safety feature. Why is it an irrtiant? The SX4 has a similar arrangement.

Last edited by amit : 20th June 2009 at 17:55.
Old 20th June 2009, 17:53   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For those who are looking at driving a light chuckable hatch only within the city with high quality interiors, turn elsewhere.
U mean to say an i20 !
Old 20th June 2009, 17:59   #35
BHPian

GTO, I have some questions for you... Btw, thanks for the great and detailed review!

How would you compare the Punto with Indica Vista Quadrajet with respect to

1. Driving and handling, given that the Punto is tuned for torque spread much like the Indica.

2. Interior fit and finish quality.

3. Do you think the price difference of 90k between the Aura (469845 ex. showroom Bangalore) and Emotion Pack (559321 ex. showroom Bangalore) is worth paying ?
Old 20th June 2009, 18:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

a colleague who had driven this car abroad had commented that he loved the button which made the steering lighter at parking speeds. Is it not present on the indian GP?
Old 20th June 2009, 18:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

What is it with Fiat MJD engines? They are scorchers in Swift but just chug along in Linea and Punto. Fiat is feeding others' babies and starving its own.
Old 20th June 2009, 18:05   #38
BHPian

Excellent review GTO!

Having driven both the Swift and the Ritz, I somehow liked the linear power delivery of the MJD better. Its like I dont have to wait till 2k rpm to get meat and keep on revving from there.

Getting my baby delivered next week. Will post details of the ownership then

P.S : The surprising factor is, when I decided to go for a car, my plan was to get a decent hatchback which will be 'ok' in city and excellent on highways, specially since my better half already drives around a Spark which i personally find a hoot to drive in city traffic . The launch couldnt have come in a better time
Old 20th June 2009, 18:17   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
It's common to all Fiat's. More importantly, it's a safety feature. Why is it an irrtiant? The SX4 has a similar arrangement.
It's not really a safety feature more a limitation. The design of the rear door is such that the rear glass cannot go all the way down inside. There just isn't any space.

Many cars have the quarter glass in the rear door for this purpose, so the rear glass can go further down.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2009, 18:19   #40
BHPian

Excellent unbiased review. As expected your's review is miles ahead of other auto magazines or websites review of GP.
Old 20th June 2009, 18:21   #41
BHPian

Great Review GTO . The Red Italian Beauty looks smashing. Multijet with a Pete's Box should be a good overall performer. Will wait to hear from some one on Pete's for this Italian.
Old 20th June 2009, 18:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This clearly isn't a car you'd buy with your head as much as you'd do with the heart.
Could not have put it better. A very well written and balanced review. Just what a prospective buyer like me needs to know before taking the plunge.

Quote:
To really enjoy the Punto, you have to experience her brilliant dynamics. Of all the new hatchbacks launched this year, my money would be on a "Red, MJD, Emotion Pack". This hatch pulls the strings to your heart like no other.
Slight alteration here.

"Black, MJD, Emotion Pack"
Old 20th June 2009, 18:24   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I dont see the safety part of it in that sense unless i assume that

1) There is a kid at the rear who might fall off it ( possible in extreme cases)

2) People cant just peep into the rear and steal from the rear occupants in crowded areas.

3) It might fare well in case of accidents.

If needed i would set it that way or the occupant behind would keep it that way. Dont force it is what i feel as it is not that safety a feature IMO.

Anyway, it is my opinion and i would like to stick on with it.It feels odd to me and i respect yours.
Old 20th June 2009, 18:25   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One straight answer GTO- Does it pack the punch of the 1.6 GTX in terms of ride.
Not the punch, nope. The Palio 1.6 has a far superior power to weight ratio. However, I gotta say this, I have yet to drive a hatch in India that has such outstanding highway behaviour. This is coming from a guy who never takes any car on the highway except for his diesel Mercedes. The Punto is simply beautiful at high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
What is it with Fiat MJD engines? They are scorchers in Swift but just chug along in Linea and Punto. Fiat is feeding others' babies and starving its own.
Quote:
Superb Review, GTO but i was expecting Punto and swift diesel to have similar acceleration capabilities but some how Punto seems little more lethargic

PS: weight of Punto = 1190,Weight of Swift = 1075
Looks like you asked & then answered your own question! In addition, as posted earlier, the Ritz & Punto have more linear power delivery. I bet it's to do with the emission norms.

Quote:
1.3MJD would have been great to have in this car. Would have given it an edge among other diesel hatches.
Skywalker, the 1.3 MJD is available on this car and will account for an overwhelming majority of the sales.

Quote:
Nice... europeans always find it hard to make a fuel efficient petrol engine.
Bang on! Whether it's a Mercedes or a BMW or a VW, their petrols just aren't fuel efficient. All to do with that weight they are lugging around. With Europeans, diesel is best (C220 over C200, E280 CDI over E280 petrol, 530D over 530i etc. etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
Note: The 1.8L, 240bhp, Alfa Mito is based on a modified variant of the same platform as the Punto. So the chassis has tremendous potential.
I request Fiat to import an Abarth and hand over for a test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And Isnt 9 kmpl too low considering we have Linea Petrol owners who are getting more than 10 kmpl with A/C in city? Forgot to say it in my previous post but very nice review... thanks for the effort.
My posts will always speak in terms of Mumbai kpl. My super light OHC Vtec, driven with a light foot, hardly ever goes over 10 kpl (9.5 being the norm). The Punto will never give 10 kpl in a Mumbai-like congested city.

Quote:
@vivekji... Is Punto also a back bencher? Waiting for your review as well.
@ Vivek : All of us need to see your review as well. I forwarded you the same request at the time of the Jazz, and now do so with the Punto. Please do so for the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Also i want to see competition so that car manufacturers are alert & take notice of the requirements of the Indian consumer & no longer dump under equipped cars.
Statement worth a million bucks, sir! Competition is always a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
1) Is the big turning radius a bit of bother.
Can be, depending on how many U-turns you take

Quote:
2) It is shocking to see that the rear window glass does not go down fully. Was it on the car you drove or that is how it is. Irritant if it is so.
I double checked with another Punto, exactly the same. Amit says its for safety, but I prefer my rear window to go down all the way.

Quote:
3) Is the ride in city stiff in or softer or balanced.
Balanced, it doesn't get uncomfortable. Atleast not until you go over a really sharp bump.

Quote:
The braking does it feel adequate and confidence inspiring. Is it the best of teh hatch backs.
If you are talking about confidence at well over 100 kph, yes.

Quote:
6) Would like you to consider gathering some stats like 0-60 or 0-10o timings and Fuel efficiency of your trip when you drive the new cars next time around.
Maybe it's time for Team-BHP to invest in a Vbox. So many cars & so little time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
U mean to say an i20 !
i10, i20, Swift, Ritz, Jazz...the list goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras1 View Post
How would you compare the Punto with Indica Vista Quadrajet with respect to

1. Driving and handling, given that the Punto is tuned for torque spread much like the Indica.
No comparison. The Punto is eons better to drive, though the Vista will be a match in comfort (especially space).

Quote:
2. Interior fit and finish quality.
Both have their rough edges.

Quote:
Do you think the price difference of 90k between the Aura (469845 ex. showroom Bangalore) and Emotion Pack (559321 ex. showroom Bangalore) is worth paying ?
I was discussing exactly this with another mod. Here's what my answer was "You don't buy a Punto with your head, you do so with your heart. That's when logic is thrown out of the window...it's not what you need, it's what you want. I'd only buy a fully loaded Punto if & when I have the need for a hatch".

That said, the Dynamic / regular Emotion probably make the most financial sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
a colleague who had driven this car abroad had commented that he loved the button which made the steering lighter at parking speeds. Is it not present on the indian GP?
Nope, not at all. I just google'd and saw that feature. Neat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Getting my baby delivered next week. Will post details of the ownership then
Congrats! Red? Emotion Pack?

Quote:
The surprising factor is, when I decided to go for a car, my plan was to get a decent hatchback which will be 'ok' in city and excellent on highways, specially since my better half already drives around a Spark which i personally find a hoot to drive in city traffic . The launch couldnt have come in a better time
LOL, the welcome twists of fate! In the Spark, you have a chuckable city hatch. And in the Punto, an impeccable highway cruiser.

Last edited by GTO : 20th June 2009 at 18:29.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2009, 18:25   #45
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful review. You're getting better and better! Factual and devoid of irrelevant rhetoric.

- What brand/model are the OEM 195 tyres? Are they good?
- Does it have a remote/internal hatch door opening mechanism/lever?
- Did you get a chance to test the headlamps/foglamps?
- Any indication from Fiat about spare part costs?
- Is the spare wheel also an alloy?

Most Viewed