Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 19:08   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

No comparison. The Punto is eons better to drive, though the Vista will be a match in comfort (especially space).
I would beg to disagree on this. I test drove both back and back and have different opinion. I'm not sure what all you considered while replying for "better drive" and but If I consider the driving comfort, I feel vista is better than punto, may be not a whole lot but better. I found Vista zippier, foot-well is better sorted. Punto's foot-well, not sure designed for whom, top of my boot used to get stuck somewhere while pressing it fully. And you rightly observed while turning the wheel you can feel somethig touching your clutch foot, awkward. First gear is way to short, you have to go quickly to second which is not the case with Vista. Punto is has better ride at high speeds but Vista is better at low speeds with its gas filled shocks. Vista's gear throw is short and clicking whereas punto has very long throw. Clutch travel is way too deep, further stressing you with more gear change demands. Another thing, which might be specific to my test drive but somehow I could not find the comfortable driving position with all that seat height and length adjutment. I always ended up in a crouching position with my knees way too high in the air, I for sure can't drive like that for long. And to top it all that Key knob was continuously knocking aginst the starter casing thus creating the irritating noise. Punto is noiser too, you can actually hear the engine noise the moment it crosses 2000 rpm. So for me driving Vista was more pelasurable than Punto. And i did that twice once on Saturday and then today again but came out with same conclusion. The only that I liked Punto as far as driving in city is concerned is that sturdy, well weighted and direct steering wheel, whereas Vista's steering wheel, though smaller and better to hold but still a little vague.
As far as handling part is concerned, you may be Vista is no match for Punto.
Old 20th June 2009, 19:10   #62
Senior - BHPian

Great Review GTO, Thanks

I had seen Punto for the first time in Europe way back in 2001
I had my mouth wide open and said WoW, same year FIAT introduced Palio in India
i also bought one in 2002. But it took FIAT 3 generations and 8 years to launch Punto in India.

Punto is a great car. Great Value for money as well as stylish. The Top end version seems to have everything needed. FIAT is also the favourite underdog in Indian market. I wish FIAT all the success, and hope that they move up the ranking in coming months as sales of both Punto and Linea climb up.
Old 20th June 2009, 19:17   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
Punto's foot-well, not sure designed for whom, top of my boot used to get stuck somewhere while pressing it fully. And you rightly observed while turning the wheel you can feel somethig touching your clutch foot, awkward.
Your left foot will be touching the steering rack bolt at the joint. This happens in the Mitsubishi Cedia as well and is very irritating.
Old 20th June 2009, 19:29   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Secondly, just nitpicking, but the tyre is a Goodyear GT3.
Corrected. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Did you guys photograph yourselves as well ?
But of course!

Quote:
Are the red and blue going to be coming on the Linea as well ?
Don't think the red will go well with the Linea. But I'd love to see that Linea maroon on the Punto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
Surely can't be this slow??
Definitely not 16 seconds, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) In the picture of the front door opened, I can see that rubber beading is not extending till the end. Is this cost cutting ?
Nice eye, aaggoswami. You are correct, it seems to be cost-cutting.

Quote:
2) How was performance of 1.4 Punto as compared to Ritz K12M because from what I calculated, the power-to-weight ratio is better in case of Ritz. I would like to hear more on this.
Both are competent motors in their own right, the Punto 1.4 - larger + more power - better on the highway. The Ritz 1.2 had sharper low end response and was more refined.

Quote:
For such a large hatch that is almost 4 mtrs. long, things could have been considering that this car is a cab-forward design.
First thing that hit me when I sat in the car. All to do with packaging.

Quote:
4) How does Swift 1.3 compare to 1.4 Punto in terms of engine performnace ? I think that aging G proves that it is one of the best motors ever made by humans.
I'm not really a fan of the Swift 1.3 petrol motor anymore, it is simply outclassed by the competition today. The Ritz 1.2 is way superior and will make its way into the Swift soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
How is the ICE. Did you talk about it in your review.
I wasn't too happy with the speaker quality. Typical crappy OEM stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdoll View Post
I would beg to disagree on this.
Beauty of a forum

Quote:
I'm not sure what all you considered while replying for "better drive"
Highway manners, high speed behaviour and cornering ability : The Punto owns the Vista.

Quote:
but If I consider the driving comfort, I feel vista is better than punto
I did mention earlier that the Vista, overall, is a far more comfortable car. Not only for the driver.
Old 20th June 2009, 19:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Wow amazing Review GTO.

Frankly man the Hatch segment has just got so much hotter, oh Boy its so damn difficult to pick a hatch in 4-6Lac segment now.
Old 20th June 2009, 19:41   #66
BHPian

Had a test drive today at hosur road showroom. Has good desirability factor. Exterior looks make it look like a piece of good old italian art. Interiors are typical european, strong looking. Feels heavy in a good way to drive. Not the steering but the overall feel of solid built is there.Good handling. Comfort was pretty decent though cant comment owing to the good roads that the vehicle.

The version i drove was petrol. The car I.M.H.O is worth every single penny. If fiat handles the marketing well and is able to dispatch sufficient numbers, we have here a segment leader spread across atleast 2 segments. Wish they had give the 1.6 with this car. Hope fiat hears this and launches a 1.6 variant atleast as limited edition to test the waters with advertisement that says "There's a Punto for everyone" Petrol-frugal, Petrol-mid performance, Petrol stonker and diesel.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 20th June 2009 at 19:43. Reason: Please put space after punctuation marks. Helps in readability
Old 20th June 2009, 20:05   #67
Senior - BHPian

GTO,
Thats a very good TD report and way way better than any auto mag. Thanks a lot to you, btw that was a long long test drive and a very good report with pics.
Also you say OEM audio system was poor but i read that Punto comes with 6 speakers and still poor sound, i mean linea with 4 is still ok till vol level 15.

Went to Techno auto today to have a look at the car, no TD as they dont have the TD cars yet (after reading the thread i dont even need 1 ), i must say that paint quality is the best they have ever used, it was a red punto and what gloss it had, i was bowled over. Plastics felt average and that driver height adjuster is still flimsy material.
Salesguy said that if this car with so much VFM quotient doesnt sell then no car will sell from fiat in India.
Old 20th June 2009, 20:25   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
1.3MJD would have been great to have in this car. Would have given it an edge among other diesel hatches.
Good morning sir. Weekend blues or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Skywalker, the 1.3 MJD is available on this car and will account for an overwhelming majority of the sales.
duh! i intended to say 1.3 VGT (and those additional horses) would have given it an edge over other 1.3 MJD hatches. Arent those party nights a killer?

Last edited by SkyWalker : 20th June 2009 at 20:29.
Old 20th June 2009, 20:40   #69
BHPian

great review... it was certainly all the wait.....kudos
Old 20th June 2009, 20:41   #70
Senior - BHPian

Rush,

The best of your reviews till date - simply superb. Makes things a lot clearer.

Now I am waiting for the i20 Diesel to make a decision.

Thanks buddy for the detailed review.
Old 20th June 2009, 20:45   #71
Senior - BHPian

wow... that's an amazing and looong review! shocked to see that the rear windows roll down to only about 60 - 65% level! well i agree, it would be safe if there are kids sitting behind cuz they always tend too peep their head out.
The 1.3 petrol seems to be a performer than the diesel. So I'd pick up that one in white!
GTO, did you get a chance to drive the 1.2 petrol also?
Old 20th June 2009, 20:51   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I’m happy with the wide 195 mm tyres that Fiat provides on the top-end variant! This is pretty much the widest stock tyre on any hatch.
Ford Fusion also has 195/60R15 as stock tyres.
Old 20th June 2009, 20:52   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
@GTO:

How is the ICE. Did you talk about it in your review. Is it the same as the Linea or some cost cutting is evident.

ICE set-up provided by all car manufacturers are

Its better not discussed.

@GTO= Great review, i was wondering how come sidindica instead of GTO. But both of you guys have actually given us the literal TD experience.

Fiat sure has a winner on hands, with its super duper looks and a great performing engine. I would rate the present hatchbacks this way.

1) Fiat Punto- Fresh and sporty look, homegrown super performer engine
2) Indica Vista- Fresh look, comfy and oodles of space
3) Getz CRDI - Scorcher of a car, great build quality
4) Swift DDis - Peppy, but cramped, if not for the multijet, it would have been phased out by now
5) Skoda Fabia- great build quality/good looking, average engine
6) i20 - great looks, but plane jane car from inside
7) Ritz - half done car, selling well only because of Fiat engine
Old 20th June 2009, 20:56   #74
BHPian

Very nice review GTO. I am addicted to such detailed reviews from Ritz, Jazz and then Punto.

It seems that now it has become a standard these days with the car manufactures to pick people and allow them to do a review on their own. I have seen this being done in US for gadgets to pick evangelist to do unbiased review.

What stands apart from a review of auto-mag is the value add comments that we get in the forum. And prompt reply from GTO to all queries makes it clincher.
Old 20th June 2009, 20:59   #75
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO!
I spent most of my yesterday and today's morning waiting for your review :P

I am in love with the Punto!
Could you please elaborate a bit on the interiors and what particular parts make them shoddy.
And is the lack of space something one can live with?

Thanks a lot!

Most Viewed