Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2009, 08:18   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
GTO, first the Ritz, then Jazz and now Punto, it's a hat-trick of your excellent reviews. I always relied more on ownership and test drive reviews of TBHP members rather than auto magazines in order to know about a particular car. Your extensive reviews have now completely superseded the reasons to consider auto mag reviews.

Looks like the time for AUTOMAGS are running out.Modern DAY modern WAY alright. But are the mag publishers ready to wake-up ??
Old 21st June 2009, 08:18   #122
BHPian

@GTO : great TD and review , thanks for sharing
Old 21st June 2009, 08:46   #123
BHPian

Ac

@GTO: How would you rate the AC of GP as compared to Ritz, Swift?

O yeah, A good unbiased, neat & well structured review. KUDOS

Last edited by ajitsank : 21st June 2009 at 08:50.
Old 21st June 2009, 09:30   #124
Senior - BHPian

Good looking car and I am not surprised about its confident ride. Fiat should try to get more interior space.
Hope a reduction in 3 cms is not a big change for safety rating.
Old 21st June 2009, 09:36   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I think fit and finish levels are acceptable... and GTO has mentioned that they are good in places and average in some. Cost cutting would be there else how do you expect something which costs 12k pounds in UK to be priced the way they have for India. Atleast the build quality hasnt suffered
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
I agree with extreme_torque.
As I've mentioned in my review it's not the space that's less, it's just that the car is made with a bigger boot. The rear legroom is less no doubt but it's not an impossible situation.
The diesel motor is pretty quick,it may not be as quick as the swift but the linear powerflow will make it easier to drive.
Here are two pictures I am attaching showing poor fit and finish along with cost cutting.
Those images speak volumes about all the corners not covered by Punto.

Punto has the opportunity to still become the perfect hatch as far as only machine goes and not the entire package.
Here are the two images.

Those who have pinpointed to other manufacturers for cost cutting, etc., have a look at this door. Is this the same in case of UK Punto too ? Can anybody clarify ?
If UK Punto is also similar, then I will appreciate Punto more, but if not, I dont think we can again pinpoint on Maruti.
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-gp-door.jpg

Color on glass, not something expected out of a car that cannot be considered as a relatively cheap car like lets say Alto. This IMHO is just not acceptable. And that too on cars that are given for initial drives to others.
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-gp-color.jpg
Old 21st June 2009, 09:49   #126
Team-BHP Support

aaggoswami, you just answered your own question with the 2 pics. The rubber beading is only half for the top side only. That is actually the second beading to prevent people from getting hurt with the sharp corner. Some cars have a design in which the soft rubber beading is actually in the cabin side and not on door side. If you see the second pic as well as this pic you can see that the rubber beading is on the pillar. Other cars will not have the soft sealing beading on the pillar. Hope you got what I'm saying. They work the same only placed on door or on body.

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-fiat_grande_punto_interior_dsc02685.jpg
Old 21st June 2009, 09:50   #127
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO! Admire your passion to do this!

Driving a WagonR (& Zen previously) I couldn't find any fault with plastics and interiors, but rear seats are a bit cramped.

Having said that, it's stunning to look and trying to convince wife to go for it. Will have to make sure she doesn't see the mileage figures
Old 21st June 2009, 10:10   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

This clearly isn't a car you'd buy with your head as much as you'd do with the heart.
So true !!! It's like being with your best friend. You don't care what others say about your friend .. it's your comfort level that matters.

When I booked the first Punto, I knew it was more emotional and less calculative decision.

"Grande Punto" in Italian means "Great Point" and that is what this car represents. In fact I think it makes more than a great point. It makes a "statement"

That was something I could relate to as a part of my personality, my demeanour and the way I go about my life. It was more about the personality. No wonder I ended up being the first person to book the Grande Punto

Thanks for the review GTO !! Hats off to your passion..You are the best !!
Old 21st June 2009, 10:15   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Great Review GTO, Thanks

I had seen Punto for the first time in Europe way back in 2001
I had my mouth wide open and said WoW, same year FIAT introduced Palio in India i also bought one in 2002. But it took FIAT 3 generations and 8 years to launch Punto in India.

Are you sure you saw the 'Grande Punto' way back in 2001. It may be a 'Punto' not a Grande. The Grande Punto was unveiled at the 2005 at Frankfurt Motor Show and went on sale later that year. So its only 3.5 years.

No offense please.
Old 21st June 2009, 10:18   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
"Grande Punto" in Italian means "Great Point" and that is what this car represents. In fact I think it makes more than a great point. It makes a "statement"
Grande actually means Big or Grand.
Old 21st June 2009, 10:25   #131
BHPian

I could not resist myself asking for a review for 1.2 Active variant.

I know the engine will be a disaster in that 1 ton car. But still, atleast someone can give some information on driveablity.

Please.
Old 21st June 2009, 10:27   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Grande actually means Big or Grand.
I actually confirmed this from a friend who happens to know Italian. He said it depends on where the word "grande" is used.

Later on I also cross checked on Google languages. "Grande" has 12 meanings in Italian
Old 21st June 2009, 10:31   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

• I wish (and communicated the same) that Fiat had launched the Linea-spec 1.3 MJD in the Punto. That additional power would be welcome, and a key differentiator in the national engine market!!
Did the fiat guys give a reason for this folly? Did they say why they did not get the car with the Linea spec engine. There has to be some reason for this.
Old 21st June 2009, 10:43   #134
BHPian

How come Fiat is advertising it only as Punto and not Grande Punto??
Old 21st June 2009, 10:49   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Did the fiat guys give a reason for this folly? Did they say why they did not get the car with the Linea spec engine. There has to be some reason for this.
Actually it's not a folly. They're probably waiting for the i20 Diesel launch and then they'll bring in the Linea spec engine. The Linea will also get more engine options when the competition hots up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks