Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2009, 15:53   #181
BHPian

GTO: Kudos for the well balanced review. Appreciate your keen observation. The point you apprised us of the well-sculpted steering wheel is noteworthy. Later, I checked with my Palio and noticed that even this has the "tumb rest" near the spokes in the steering wheel, though it is not as contoured as in GP.
With regard to fit and finish, the other day I was driving behind a Vista and noticed its rear bumber. I was stunned to see the bottom edge of the bumper; they couldn't make it in a straight line. Out of curiosity, I checked a couple of other cars. Ditto. Compare this with cars like Honda or Fiat and you know what is meant by quality. Is it the result of cost-cutting?
When you mentioned the quality of plastics inside GP, I was wondering as to what makes the manufacturers to prune a few hundred rupees on objects that any customer has to see day-in and day-out.
Old 21st June 2009, 16:09   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
I guess that my earlier post was too long and that confused you a bit. I agree with whatever you say here. All I intend to say is that no matter how fuel-efficient you make a Punto (or for that matter any FIAT), an average Indian buyer is not going to buy it. Even with a mileage of 40kmpl. All it is left with are the enthusiasts, who wouldn't mind paying a premium for a good car.

With the current gamble, FIAT has lost both the groups, the mileage concious buyers and the enthusiasts.
Could not disagree more.
How about an example? myself? I think I'm an average Indian Car buyer as described by you & not an entusiast strictly. I never bought a Fiat & did not intend to do it. Saw Linea & ended up buying it. Everyone who mattered were against it. Elders in family, colleagues everybody advised me against it. Some others are still asking why I bought her.

I think I do not need to say anymore than this to your point. Do I?
Old 21st June 2009, 16:23   #183
BHPian

Fantastic review dear GTO.

One suggestion:

Can we have a rough fuel efficiency test as well? Just a normal 'what I got' figure should suffice.
Old 21st June 2009, 16:24   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodystopme View Post
and lastly Around 700KMS permonth running warrants a diesel Punto?
The diesel breaks-even in about 3 years for you in Delhi. Also, it will have a better resale value. So a diesel will be a win-win situation for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@ashwin... I dont think Fiat brand has so many enthusiasts, so as to buy 1000 + cars every month. There is one on our forum who wanted to buy the Honda City but bought the Linea instead, thats where the sales and volumes will come from. And if you look at how many of the people on our forum who have bought the Linea have had a Fiat product previously, you will get your answer.
Enthusiasts havent compromised..... infact none of the hardcore Palio fans have still bought the Linea or the Punto. They are all new buyers and this is heartening to see.
Fiat hasnt screwed up this time, infact they are doing it just right this time around. Once they have the volumes you can them for the T-jet and the 1.6 JTD and what not.
In fact, Fiat enthusiasts are cribbing that 1.3 has not come with VGT, and they want either 1.6 MJD or 1.4 T-jet. So they are all waiting.

Actually Fiat 'enthusiasts' are happy abt Linea/Punto success from the point of view of their love for Fiat. Now they know that Fiat will survive and do well. They cannot be happy from the point of view of the 'enthusiast' in them being taken care of and satiated.
Old 21st June 2009, 16:25   #185
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review GTO. I love the looks, Fiat is on a roll with its new products and they look real juicy!

What this car needs is a VGT 1.3L diesel or a 1.9L Diesel, that would make it a real tire shredder
Old 21st June 2009, 16:39   #186
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Lots of complaints about interiors too but except for the Fabia and i20, which car has better quality plastics then the Punto?
Which other cars left in this "premium hatch back" segment.

Jazz,& Ritz . It may be right in the case of Ritz

Source : Blog Archive Fiat India to launch Grande Punto on 17th June
Quote:
The stylish car will fall in the same segment as the Maruti Suzuki Ritz, Hyundai i20, Skoda Fabia and the to-be-launched Honda Jazz.

Last edited by wildon : 21st June 2009 at 16:44.
Old 21st June 2009, 17:16   #187
BANNED

@GTO do you have pics of 60:40 seats in which seats completely folded. (i.e Flat bed)

I have seen the electric wires and metal was exposed in there

Last edited by wildon : 21st June 2009 at 17:17.
Old 21st June 2009, 17:29   #188
BHPian

Excellent Review GTO, thanks for the detailed pictures & performance analysis.

This car deserves to be successful, hope it will be a Volume Generator for FIAT India.

One thing i wanted to ask is, has anybody driven the 1.2 Petrol Active Variant, i think it has been given a Stepmotherly treatment , it should also be reviewed for the prospective First Time buyers.
Old 21st June 2009, 17:42   #189
BHPian

Fantastic review. I'll soon head to the showroom for a test drive. I anyway need to replace my M800.
Old 21st June 2009, 17:54   #190
Senior - BHPian

Pics from punto launch at chennai where i was a invitee.....
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-19062009481.jpg

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-19062009482.jpg
Old 21st June 2009, 18:02   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
Punto is a great car. The only things going against it is the slightly lower power (for the weight) and the rear legroom. And both could be overcome, by (1) getting a Pete's and (2) moving the rear bench by a few inches. I think a good workshop can help.
1) The Pete's box has been used extensively on Swifts, Palio's and Vista's. So there will be no problem on the Punto. Additionally there is a box available from Rapid which bumps up the power by 14 or 16 BHP. Quite popular in Europe.
2) The Punto has tumble down seats. That means if you remove the seat (or tumble it down) the boot level is same as the floor. Shifting back will not be a problem. However the problem arises when you now drop down the seat. In the original position the folded seat goes in the gap where you place your feet. When it is shifted back, it may foul with the floor when tumbled down. This will be better explained with a diagram.
Old 21st June 2009, 19:27   #192
Senior - BHPian

Great review GTO. Had been to launch party on sat. Attached is one of the random snaps
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-0620_181232.jpg  

Old 21st June 2009, 19:28   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I went and saw the punto at TAFE access. Sat in the car and did not have much room. There was a palio standing right next to it. I sat in the drivers seat and found that it has lots of leg room. I am puzzled. Where did all the space go ?
Today I went to a FIAT showroom in Cochin. I compared the Vista and Punto backseats. Vista has definitely more legroom. The thigh support is also about 15 cm more in the Vista in the backseat. The difference I think is because Vista has less boot space. In Punto the boot space has been increased which has resulted in less space at the back seat. I had gone after 5 O'clock so I could not get a test drive.
Old 21st June 2009, 20:11   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fiat invited Team-BHP for the Punto test-drive. They covered all the expenses for this driving event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda invited Team-BHP for the Jazz test-drive event. They covered all the expenses for this trip.
Its a tribute to the Team-BHP, that the auto companies are inviting you fellows for extensive tests and post reveiws. It also means that they are watching this forum, which is a good thing.
Old 21st June 2009, 21:12   #195
BHPian

Had been to concorde motors showroom, mumbai. Checked out an electric blue emotion punto. Wont waste time talking about the good points of the punto. I agree to them as much as most people do. All that is simply fabulous.

Some critical observations though:

We compared the seats and legroom of the gp with the vista. The rear legroom of the vista seems to be the same as the gp. However the seat depth of the vista is more than the gp. That explains why the rear seats of the vista seem more comfortable with that additiona bit of thigh support.

Similarly the front seats depth of the gp is more than that of the vista, giving more thigh support. Hence the front seats of the gp seem much better than the vista's.

We can safely say that the gp is a drivers car and the vista a chauffeur driven one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks