Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2009, 22:50   #196
BHPian

The vista offers more legroom compromising on bootspace whereas it's the other way around on the punto.
It's just about strategy. Punto's legroom is reasonable.
Old 21st June 2009, 22:55   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathin View Post
Today I went to a FIAT showroom in Cochin. I compared the Vista and Punto backseats. Vista has definitely more legroom. The thigh support is also about 15 cm more in the Vista in the backseat. The difference I think is because Vista has less boot space. In Punto the boot space has been increased which has resulted in less space at the back seat. I had gone after 5 O'clock so I could not get a test drive.
Are you sure it was 15 cms... I can bet for the life of me that it cant be 15 cms under any circumstance!

By the way this would of interest to the future 1.3 JTD Punto customers.

Diesel Tuning Box for Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet 75 PS-BHP / 190 Nm / 16V / DPF by CHIP Express™

Last edited by extreme_torque : 21st June 2009 at 23:09.
Old 21st June 2009, 23:03   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
The vista offers more legroom compromising on bootspace whereas it's the other way around on the punto.
It's just about strategy. Punto's legroom is reasonable.
I agree with you. Punto's legroom at the rear is absolutely sufficient with the front seat in a decent position. The rear legroom only feels crammed when the front seat is pushed back at its maximum, which would rarely be the case. Even a 6'3" guy may not require to push it to its maximum back position.
Old 21st June 2009, 23:15   #199
BHPian

one question, is it mandatory that the car complete certain kilometers before the any kind of tuning box are fixed. I have already booked the top end diesel punto (electric blue color) so wanted to know when would it be the best time to fit any tuning box on the car.
Old 21st June 2009, 23:36   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank you. It's reading all your comments that make the last 72 hours spent on this review worth it. Little sleep, too many Marlboro's, 90+ voice notes, 15 pages of hand written comments and about 400 photographs to screen through.
My hat is doffed at you, GTO! Great job done- truly appreciate it.
Old 21st June 2009, 23:38   #201
BHPian

i am in a quandry whether to buy a punto 1.3 and get a pete's box or wait for linea 1.6 mjd which according to salesguy will come in december this year but then the pricing is also an issue with 1.6 linea
Old 22nd June 2009, 01:10   #202
BHPian

Thank you GTO for the fantastic and most comprehensive review.
To let the proverbial cat among pigeons...I have been in love with the Palio for a while now. With the Grande Punto, it seems Fiat has got the right mix for a bestseller(finally!). A question continues to niggle however.....see the Palio, dated as it may be would rate over most other competition for build quality and comfort. Why not reduce the Palio MJD to a limited period offer of say 3.99 lacs? I thiink I would bite....what about others on the board?
Old 22nd June 2009, 01:43   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO:
Amazing review.
From what I understand, the Punto is a fantastic car except for:
- Plastics - which from what I have read is constantly improving
- rear seat space: still have to find an european car with good legspace
- cramped footwell - something I experienced in the Palio as well
- Poor engines: Once again, I would love a 1.6MJD option. Would have been a nice upgrade from the Palio.

So, now I am confused.
Looks like Fiat is targetting executives, who want a hatch that looks good, is fun to drive?
This is definitely not for families, but a car that is meant to be self driven.
Not for enthusiasts (atleast until they get a more powerful engine)
so for young executives looking for a good all rounder?
Old 22nd June 2009, 02:21   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
i am in a quandry whether to buy a punto 1.3 and get a pete's box or wait for linea 1.6 mjd which according to salesguy will come in december this year but then the pricing is also an issue with 1.6 linea
Avoid waiting for Linea 1.6. It could take too long. Also will be definitely priced higher than the current versions. At present, Punto + Pete makes a great combo. i20 Crdi could be an option, if anyone can confirm about tentative launch dates.
Old 22nd June 2009, 06:28   #205
BHPian

@ashwin and other discussion on Performance vs FE

If total prospective car buyers are 100,000 (say)
=> Hatch segment ~50,000
FiAT enthusiast ~5,000 (Max) for Hatch
Now the big question is
CAN any company servive on these numbers ? No and NOOO.
Old 22nd June 2009, 07:56   #206
Senior - BHPian

Instead of 1.6, a 1.9 MJD with auto tranny is on cards. This I got from one of the dealers.
Old 22nd June 2009, 08:39   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Instead of 1.6, a 1.9 MJD with auto tranny is on cards. This I got from one of the dealers.

1.9 instead of 1.6 will be a fuel Guzzler in my opinion. I am not sure what FIAT will be achieving by this engine combined with auto tranny(Even lesser FE).

@ neonwheels, where you able to extract any specific reason (from the dealer) for Fiat to go for this engine?
Old 22nd June 2009, 08:39   #208
BHPian

So, apart from GTO mentioning, i found the positioning of the dead pedal to be very inconvenient. Every time i had to depress the clutch i kept hitting the dead pedal and i had to concentrate to keep manoeuvering my foot for proper clutching. I found that to be a real irritant, so was it just me, or did anybody else feel the same?.
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:02   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avasekeh View Post
So, apart from GTO mentioning, i found the positioning of the dead pedal to be very inconvenient. Every time i had to depress the clutch i kept hitting the dead pedal and i had to concentrate to keep manoeuvering my foot for proper clutching. I found that to be a real irritant, so was it just me, or did anybody else feel the same?.
This has become a FIAT trait. People driving other cars or FIAT cars without dead pedal takes some time to get accustomed to the setup. There has been many discussions on this already. I believe this should not be a deal breaker if one wants to select a Punto. People who feel really uncomfortable with the dead pedal can remove this. Only a couple of screws hold them in place.

Last edited by cruiser_1982 : 22nd June 2009 at 09:14.
Old 22nd June 2009, 09:26   #210
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
The 1.3 petrol seems to be a performer than the diesel. So I'd pick up that one in white!
You mean 1.4 petrol. Yup, it's definitely great to drive.

Quote:
GTO, did you get a chance to drive the 1.2 petrol also?
From my review:

Quote:
We didn't get a chance to test the 1.2. With a power to weight ratio of 59 BHP / Ton, I don't think I missed too much. It's only available in one variant (base) and forms the entry level price. I wouldn't go anywhere near the 1.2. ARAI certification for this engine = 14.3 kpl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Ford Fusion also has 195/60R15 as stock tyres.
Umm, is the Fusion a hatch? An SUV? A cross-over? Just kidding. But the Fusion suffered from terribly confused positioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
What stands apart from a review of auto-mag is the value add comments that we get in the forum. And prompt reply from GTO to all queries makes it clincher.
Absolutely! What's most interesting is to see thousands of different perspectives on the same car. Comments are to die for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Could you please elaborate a bit on the interiors and what particular parts make them shoddy.
Some are shoddy, some are average, some are good.

Quote:
And is the lack of space something one can live with?
There isn't a lack of space like in the Swift. However, by big hatch standards, space is certainly not what you'd expect. Yes, it is liveable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvvinod View Post
Covered almost everything in a car but Horn something we use very usually when you drive in India
Do you think? From the 5th post of my review:

Quote:
• Nice horn!
Superb sounding. Very Euro + premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautomobile View Post
Does this an exceptional case for the punto or is it more common in other cars as well?
Haven't felt the steering rack movement in too many other cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks