Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:00   #241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
@GTO:
I have always had this doubt about diesels, How long lasting is the engine because in the past the diesel engines were notorious for causing problems after a few years..
Diesels have always had a high maintenance cost due to higher tolerances and a lot of preventative stuff like filter changes etc.

With modern diesel engines, it will only get worse as manufacturers squeeze more blood from stone literally

1: Higher operating pressures
2: More accurate metering required hence more precise electronics
3: smaller but more powerful turbos

As it is - one can already obsever a lot of BMW diesels blow turbo seals, Merc CRD's highly recommended that one removes the glow plugs, injectors and pop them back - why ? - due to high pressures and heat these weld themselves to the cylinder head. Also manifold cracks

Modern diesels are attraactive in the short medium term and disastrous long term.
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:02   #242
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
This is interesting. If they give the car for testing about 1-1.5 months before the car gets released
Sorry I wasn't clear enough earlier. Longer test drives are being offered after the launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spals View Post
Thanx a ton for the reply e_t. from your reply i feel i need to have a test ride and then there will be no questions for me.
Going OT. As mentioned earlier, please test both and open up a new What Car thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The localization content by the end of this year would be more than 85% meaning that the cost of spares would be low.
The cost of spares is also dependent on volumes. And that's one area you can't beat Maruti. I doubt the Punto or Linea spares will ever be as cheap as that of a Swift or Dzire.
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:51   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Diesels have always had a high maintenance cost due to higher tolerances and a lot of preventative stuff like filter changes etc.

With modern diesel engines, it will only get worse as manufacturers squeeze more blood from stone literally

1: Higher operating pressures
2: More accurate metering required hence more precise electronics
3: smaller but more powerful turbos

As it is - one can already obsever a lot of BMW diesels blow turbo seals, Merc CRD's highly recommended that one removes the glow plugs, injectors and pop them back - why ? - due to high pressures and heat these weld themselves to the cylinder head. Also manifold cracks

Modern diesels are attraactive in the short medium term and disastrous long term.
Could you please clarify if the maintenance cost things holds true for modern diesels. At least from the maintenance table of the new multijet launched from Fiat does not seem to have higher maintenance cost compared to petrol from Fiat itself. And it is way cheaper than most petrol cars in India (if followed strictly by the company manual book).

Not sure of the life of engine. At least some sources claim that multijet engines are supposed to run for 150,000 Km without any necessity to open the engine. In India, 150,000 Km would be almost 15-20 years.

Does your claim hold true for Fiat multijet engines too? If we don't yet know here, there must be some data from Europe or some other markets where multijet engines had been around for more than 5 years.
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:55   #244
ashwinpak

If they had plonked the 1.6 in the Punto, they would have repeated the same 'mistake' the did with the Palio in the first place. Enthusiasts (like me) would buy it, rip it and tell all neighbours and uncles that I get 8kmpl mileage. After that, whenever the neighbours and uncles hear of anybody planning to buy a Punto (even the MJD), they would visit that guy for evening tea and tell him horror stories about how bad the 'mileage' of Punto is.

IMO, since FIAT is, at this point of time targetting the masses, they shouldnt have even had a petrol motor in their lineup. Or just the 1.2 base for the low base price for the sake of advertisement.

I hope that once the mileage issue gets settled, and the Punto has built a reputation, FIAT will plonk a bigger engine in the Punto. I am willing to wait till then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_payne View Post
2. 1 sports/Emo+ variant in 1.6 engine form. Range topper, priced same as diesel topper continuing from where the Palio left off. FE would not be a concern but it would be unique in the segment.

Old 22nd June 2009, 14:08   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrack View Post
The PCD of all Fiat cars is 98mm.

Some info on PCD of various models:
Im sorry but Im a little ignorant about this. What exactly is PCD?
When i Googled it, all i got was Pussycat Dolls! lol
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:14   #246
BHPian

PCD stands for pitch circle diamter - read here Wheel sizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:18   #247
Senior - BHPian

Nice review GTO.

Do you have any idea for what diameter of wheel, the speedo has been calibrated? Since it comes in 3 different tyre specs, I do not think FIAT would go to the extent of having 3 differently calibrated instrument clusters. Is it for the Emotion pack 195/60 15" variant?

Car companies should appreciate getting instant feedback on their new launches here. If only they were proactive enough to take the criticisms and address them ! FIAT, we know you are reading this, hope you address the small niggling issues pointed out on this forum(in several Linea and Punto threads). This is one marque that generates a lot of passion and has steadfast supporters fighting tooth and nail to defend. It is time to repay their faith by addressing the slight niggles. Not to mention, better A.S.S support as well.
I personally loved the looks of this car. Need to test drive it as soon as I am back. Rubbing my hands in anticipation ...
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:20   #248
BHPian

Quote:
yeah i also wanna know . can you fit other alloys ??

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2009 at 16:24. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:25   #249
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Caramelo;1357254]
Quote:

You can fit in other alloys, provided they are also 98 PCD alloys, preferably. Aura has them, but the choices are very limited.

A couple of guys have tried modifying the PCD to 100 and had fitted those alloys, but due to safety concerns, they had to go back to 98 PCD alloys. My advise would be to go for 98 PCDs only. With the Lineas and Puntos selling in some numbers, I am expecting that alloy companies will come up with more designs.
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:27   #250
BHPian

I suggest you discuss this topic here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...available.html or here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...adventure.html

It is not recommended to put anything other than pcd 98 alloys, unless you just want to park the car and show it off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post

Last edited by jassi : 22nd June 2009 at 14:28.
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:27   #251
Senior - BHPian

I think Fiat got it right with 1.3 MJD and 1.4 Fire engines!
Both these engines offer good drivebility, decent power & torque and good FE.

And if G Punto sell good nos in the market, which looks like it will, Fiat can launch the sports version with a more powerful engine.
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:30   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
Pitch Circle Diameter

Wheel sizing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The link has some info.
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:35   #253
BHPian

Great review

Sorry for being late to compliment this review.

I wanted some opinion on the pricing of the diesel version. I feel most people will end up comparing Swift Diesel with Punto. That being the case, is Punto competitive or, with its glitches in the interiors and the power delivery, will it seem high-priced and get rejected in the final decision point?

At the end of it, Maruti's service capabilities will tilt the decision in Swift's favour.

PS: Apologies if this has been asked and answered
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:29   #254
BHPian

WHAT A REVIEW GTO !!!

I have been following the GP reviews across all TV channels, Print media etc and I am proud to say that GTO's review is the very well researched, frank and totally unbiased. I had to advise my Uncle to choose between the GP & Linea and I was eagerly awaiting GTO's review.

Well I must say FIAT have come back from the ashes. From being written off from the Indian market to giving tough competition to market leaders like Honda & Hyundai, the Italians have come a long way and how! Fiat has cleverly kept a distinct difference between the Linea & Punto unlike the Indica/Indigo & Swift/Dzire formulas of just clipping on a boot. It be nice to see Fiat offer the Adventure locker 4x4 with the Tjet diesel to compete with the CRV & Captiva

My Wishlist for the GP -
1.6 Tjet engine
Rich black / chrome combo interior.
Slight more legroom by moving the rear seats.
Old 22nd June 2009, 15:42   #255
BHPian

this may go off topic .

but i found these alloys on the ferrari 599 GTB fiorano. and they look kinda similar to those alloys on the GP. they are also 12 spoke design.

i hated those alloys when i saw them first on the punto. but i think now they have grown up on me. and i feel they are not that bad actually. what you guys feel! i think fiat has some of the coolest and whacky alloys!!

Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-599n1.jpg  

Last edited by Caramelo : 22nd June 2009 at 15:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks