Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:01   #286
BHPian

Great Review GTO. Now I feel I can stop reading all other Auto magazines. One thing missing though is the absolute numbers. Like braking distance,0-to-100,etc.Then like you said, we should think of investing in a V-Box.
Some tyre manufacturer's ad line goes something like 'what is power without control' But I would ask fiat 'what is control without power` The review compares the high speed behavior of the hatch to a Merc. That is fantastic for any hatch. But wheezy engines can be a real turnoff for the whole package.But that is just me!!
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:12   #287
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
You are one of the very few guys here who speaks well of Ritz, and believes Ritz has its own place. It has been a day since I have been driving my new Ritz (will post the initial review within a week).
For Mr. Practicality & the non enthusiast, it's pretty much between the Ritz and the i10. I look forward to a detailed ownership review. With pics, of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
Can we hope that Tata Motors will finally wake up and add a new top-end version?
About time, I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitzYeah View Post
Great objective review, thanks GTO for helping me make up my mind. I test drove it and booked it.
Congratulations! What variant & colour? I hope a detailed ownership review is on the cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panks15 View Post
BUT, somehow I feel the review which started with all praises for GP had turned to spoil the cars image. My view on the issues is:
Review is black & white. What is good is good, what's not is not. We are amongst the most mature communities online and can easily accept each car for what it really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvit2002 View Post
i read somwhere that the service interval of punto is 15000kms and the oil change is required after 30000kms!!! tell me if it is true for the MJD
Even if the recommended oil change interval is 30,000kms, no way in hell I'm going to wait that long. All my cars (except the Indigo) run on synthetic oil. And I change at 7,500 kms (latest), except for the Benz which Merc changes at 10,000 kms. Our driving conditions simply do not permit a longer oil change window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grvanand View Post
I found the response from the staff highly disinterested and the attitude poor, they really don't deserve to sell such brilliant cars like Punto and Linea. Made me wait for the drive for more than 45 minutes with the reason that the person to approve the drive was not available and they didn't know when he would be back.
That's sad to hear.

Quote:
A quick summary, the deal makers for this car imo are its styling, equipment, ride, handling, steering and the big one, PRICE. The possible deal breakers are dealer attitude and quality of interiors.
Neatly summarised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~VinZ~~ View Post
I would like to compare between the black and red beauty as i am confuse which one to go for myself
Since you are confused between the red and the black, here are two pics that I clicked of them - side by side:

Name:  DSC02634.JPG
Views: 3107
Size:  102.4 KB

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-dsc02633.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by princemanatt View Post
The review compares the high speed behavior of the hatch to a Merc. That is fantastic for any hatch. But wheezy engines can be a real turnoff for the whole package.But that is just me!!
Just to clarify : No, I didn't compare the Punto's high speed behaviour to that of a Merc. What I meant to communicate was that, even as a Merc highway driver, I was very impressed with the Punto's behaviour on the open road.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2009 at 10:18.
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:23   #288
ada
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
That looks like a desperate attempt to justify a confused decision. Sure good, if it can instill confidence.

I feel that Ritz is the latest folly from Maruti after the Versa and the Estilo. Ritz is a confused car and it cannot be compared to the likes of Punto.

Also, peace of mind comes with a proven car which Ritz is yet not.
If confused in the sense of segment of placing it very near to swift, I agree. Ritz will only cannibalize swift, wagonr and i10. Already they are quoting 4/6 weeks of delivery time even for petrol version. As far as Ritz being proven, it is already a proven product in the european market, if you see Channel4's review, it has as high a rating as say a punto or swift or i20. Also peace of mind comes not only with the product but after sales reputation of the manufacturer (which fiat india has yet to build). This is IMHO, not because I own Ritz.
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:34   #289
Senior - BHPian

nice review GTO, though was expecting it around 3pm on 17th June itself. Some of the pics have a tagline explaining what you are showing, while some dont, though we can understand, but it could be better if each image has a tag.

Nice review anyway, whats next ? Fortuner ??
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:10   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Since you are confused between the red and the black, here are two pics that I clicked of them - side by side:

Attachment 151290

Attachment 151291

Thanks for that GTO.

1) But i am more puzzled now because i have to choose between the 2 best beauties if one is hautt then the other is hautter.

2) But now the main choice is between the FIRE and MJD. I do not drive much to choose a diesel over the petrol but after the reviews and comments i see a lot of people are for MJD and i am yet to find a good review for petrol. And also considering the performance, which is said to me more in MJD and FE which is less in FIRE.

Which is the best option to go for?

3) I am not a bog fan of hte punto alloys, tho i like the design. As fiat kept hte 98 PCD thing, we will not be able to change the alloys so is there anyway that i can get these alloys a more shiner/polished look or even get a good paint job done?

4) Ok, no here is one thing that i had noticed in the punto steering wheel and it is not only in one picture but most of hte interiors i saw and even in flesh.

There is a gap between the controls and and hte seering wheel, will it be like that in all the puntos? it looks odd
Attached Images

Last edited by ~~VinZ~~ : 23rd June 2009 at 11:13.
~~VinZ~~ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:12   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
That was the dumbest review I have ever seen.

All he could figure out of the car was that the interiors were a lift-off the Linea.

He also said Fiat has forgotten how to tune engines. Guess he doesn't know much about emissions.

But the best part was when he said the Punto is a great family car and has oodles of space!

I am still waiting for a test drive, can anyone tell me which dealer is offering it in Delhi. Vivek and Him are not.

Didn't like the review myself. Have driven the diesel quite extensively now(2 testdrives) and it really isn't underpowered. Press the pedal hard and you feel the turbo rush clearly and the car is quite decently powered.
Anyway it's rama motors okhla for you. Brilliant staff and high courtesy levels. PM me if you need assistance; am heading over in a few hours for the booking.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:22   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even if the recommended oil change interval is 30,000kms, no way in hell I'm going to wait that long. All my cars (except the Indigo) run on synthetic oil. And I change at 7,500 kms (latest), except for the Benz which Merc changes at 10,000 kms. Our driving conditions simply do not permit a longer oil change window.
Eggggggggjactly!!!

However, doesn't it void the warranty in cars where they don't recommend synthetic oil? I know Fiat does use synthetic oil, but wondering about other manufacturers.

I was told that if I put synthetic oil even in my Honda Unicorn, I cannot claim the warranty, so I am just waiting for first 2 years. And I am glad I did wait, I needed that warranty claim last week itself but fortunately Honda A.S.S. was a pleasant surprise even for 2 wheeler.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:28   #293
BHPian

Quote:
There is a gap between the controls and and hte seering wheel, will it be like that in all the puntos? it looks odd

Its because of the airbag.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:29   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that GTO.
4) Ok, no here is one thing that i had noticed in the punto steering wheel and it is not only in one picture but most of hte interiors i saw and even in flesh.

I think it will be the same as in my Linea also its the same thing.That space is there for the horn to work?
I dont know but the gap is there, here is a pic.
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-picture-010.jpg

I think you are going ahead with the booking, personally i love the red shade. Went to have a look and the gloss on red punto made me drool like mad.
Would have picked up a diesel punto (own a petrol linea) if the interiors wouldnt have been the same but still there is some scope as am in love with the car.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:35   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I think it will be the same as in my Linea also its the same thing.That space is there for the horn to work?
I dont know but the gap is there, here is a pic.
Attachment 151347

I think you are going ahead with the booking, personally i love the red shade. Went to have a look and the gloss on red punto made me drool like mad.
Would have picked up a diesel punto (own a petrol linea) if the interiors wouldnt have been the same but still there is some scope as am in love with the car.
Thanks coolboy007.

Yes, ofcourse it should be for hte horn to work. Why didn't i think of that? too. But i felt it looks odd cuz it is only at one side.

The red made me drool too but i allways had a thing for black one and wanted to own too. I do feel the black punto is hautt and i knw a lot of people would go for red. So i am thinking unique me?
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:44   #296
BHPian

Hello All,

Got my chance to test ride an MJD PUNTO, being a MJD PALIO owner, went to RAMA motors in OKHLA for TD.

PUNTO and PALIO are two very different cars, with same engine but differently tuned. No car is perfect or is tailor made to suit 120 + crore Indians, so its individual preferences that play a huge part in deciding upon a car, so I am not here to recommend PUNTO to individuals, its your money and its up to you where you want to put it, I myself just loved the car.

Lot has been discussed about PUNTO, both the negatives and positives in here and on other forums. My TD was not more then a km ride, so I would refrain myself from making adverse comments on PUNTO.

In short, if I was in market to buy a Diesel hatch then I would have definitely bought this hot hatch. The reasons why I would have bought it, would had been :::

1. Its a FIAT.
2. Great looks, just looks smashing in that RED.
3. A best tuned MJD engine of the whole lot available in the market.
4. Was able to touch 95kmph in 4th gear on a city road with 5 adults, is again enough for someone like me, some call this under powered, not sure what exactly such people are looking for.
5. Great equipments and great build quality, a combination that is hard to be found in current market.
6. ABS and Bule & Me.
7. The steering wheel equipped with the thumb rests, thumb rests are normally found in 20lakh + cars.

Cheers.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:46   #297
BHPian

Quote:
The red made me drool too but i allways had a thing for black one and wanted to own too. I do feel the black punto is hautt and i knw a lot of people would go for red. So i am thinking unique me?
Well, I am also one who loves black a lot! But with GP, the medium gray is looking very classy as well, I wonder why many people don't like that shade. If I buy GP, it would be medium gray!
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:52   #298
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But i am more puzzled now because i have to choose between the 2 best beauties if one is hautt then the other is hautter.
Can't go wrong with either, though my personal recommendation would be the red.

Quote:
But now the main choice is between the FIRE and MJD.
General rule for European cars : Diesel. More robust, lesser issues, superior resale, wayyyyyy better fuel efficiency. Neither of the engines are stonkers (performance wise). If you have to cruise anyways, why not do so with diesel FE + torque? Your running isn't that high either. Tell you what : Take a spin in both and choose whatever your heart tells you to.

Quote:
As fiat kept hte 98 PCD thing, we will not be able to change the alloys so is there anyway that i can get these alloys a more shiner/polished look or even get a good paint job done?
I have a wicked idea for you : Vivekji05 and I were talking of how a black look would take the Punto's looks to an altogether different level. How about painting the wheels + radiator grille a matt black? Would look killer on a red or black car, both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish7 View Post
However, doesn't it void the warranty in cars where they don't recommend synthetic oil? I know Fiat does use synthetic oil, but wondering about other manufacturers.
Never had a problem with warranty claims. That said, the oil you use should meet / exceed the minimum oil requirements / grade as stated in the owners manual.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2009 at 11:54.
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:53   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
Its because of the airbag.
Airbag? and why is the airbag placed towards left side and not well aligned to center?
Old 23rd June 2009, 11:55   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
7. The steering wheel equipped with the thumb rests, thumb rests are normally found in 20lakh + cars.
I think the Fiesta has them too.

Most Viewed