Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2009, 10:21   #796
BHPian

I have few questions for everyone out here. I saw that the Grande Punto weighs 1090 kgs as per Autocar UK website. However, in India, the GP weighs 1190 kgs which is an extra weight of 100 kgs. Why this huge difference? Moreover, for a car of hatchback dimensions, is it justified for the GP to be so heavy(being a modern car & new design). Almost every other hatchback in India is lighter. The Palio Stile diesel is 1065 kgs although it has the same diesel engine.
One more question that comes to my mind is, whether there is any difference in the Engine+Gearbox+Transmission of the Palio & the GP ? Although dated, the Palio Stile continues to be an extremely VFM car, given the fact that it has the same Diesel mill as in the GP. If Palio Stile & GP have the same engine & mechanicals, how come there is a difference in their service intervals?

What are the factors that one should consider in favour of GP diesel as compared Palio Stile diesel?
1> GP has better ride comfort (Palio Stile is also good enough)
2> Handling (the Handling in Palio Stile - is it not sufficient)
3> Looks (GP is good looking, Palio is not ugly either. In fact this depends on person to person)

The reason I am asking all these questions is because I am planning to buy my first car within the next few days. I got to know that after Fiat discounts+Corporate discounts, the Palio Stile SDX diesel should come around 5,30,000 in Bangalore, whereas the GP would cost approx 5,72,000 after 6000 corporate discount. So, is it wise to invest in GP when Palio Stile offers the same engine & is a proven car. I would not want to hear about resale value & all because I want a good car that would stay with me for a long time.

Request everyone to please pool in their suggestions.

Thanks !!!
Old 31st July 2009, 10:24   #797
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Punto is definitely not making the grade in acceleration runs. ACI & OD (latest issue) - both - have clocked 17 - 18 second timings for the 0 - 100 dash. I reiterate that the diesel makes far more sense. Nearly as quick as the petrol, way more fuel efficient and potentially better resale.
Old 31st July 2009, 10:58   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaustav View Post
I have few questions for everyone out here. I saw that the Grande Punto weighs 1090 kgs as per Autocar UK website. However, in India, the GP weighs 1190 kgs which is an extra weight of 100 kgs. Why this huge difference? Moreover, for a car of hatchback dimensions, is it justified for the GP to be so heavy(being a modern car & new design). Almost every other hatchback in India is lighter. The Palio Stile diesel is 1065 kgs although it has the same diesel engine.
One more question that comes to my mind is, whether there is any difference in the Engine+Gearbox+Transmission of the Palio & the GP ? Although dated, the Palio Stile continues to be an extremely VFM car, given the fact that it has the same Diesel mill as in the GP. If Palio Stile & GP have the same engine & mechanicals, how come there is a difference in their service intervals?

What are the factors that one should consider in favour of GP diesel as compared Palio Stile diesel?
3> Looks (GP is good looking, Palio is not ugly either. In fact this depends on person to person)

The reason I am asking all these questions is because I am planning to buy my first car within the next few days. I got to know that after Fiat discounts+Corporate discounts, the Palio Stile SDX diesel should come around 5,30,000 in Bangalore, whereas the GP would cost approx 5,72,000 after 6000 corporate discount. So, is it wise to invest in GP when Palio Stile offers the same engine & is a proven car. I would not want to hear about resale value & all because I want a good car that would stay with me for a long time.

Thanks !!!
If you have the money i'd say go for the punto. Its much more well put together and thus better to drive.

If you want to save some money you could think of the palio MJD.
Old 31st July 2009, 13:37   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Apart from reasons you mention, it is car interactivity with driver that puts Punto ahead of Palio and justifies the price tag. If you do not need those features, Palio will be sufficient for you as it is going to be your first car. The features provided in Punto (for example Blue & Me) do take sometime getting used to, but on the positive side, increase the ownership experience manifold.

As far as servicing interval is concerned, that can be best be answered by some guru.
Old 31st July 2009, 18:05   #800
BHPian

Please contact Mr Santhosh from Bajaj Alliaz at 0422 2646628 to get the same insurance quote that i got. See below.

please do mention you have been refered by Vinod/Team BHP so that he will know. He promised me to give the same for all my friends

Grande punto Diesel Emotion pack
- 100% vehicle value covered i.e., 614331/-
- Insurance quote 13807/-

Coverages:
1) Owner driver - 2 lacks
2) each occupant - 2 lacks
3) paid driver - 50000/-
4) 3rd party property damage - 7.5 lacks
5) 3rd person death/disability - unlimited
6) PA unnamed coverages for 2 lacks
Old 31st July 2009, 19:20   #801
BHPian

Today I went to Prerna Motors(Near Sarjapur Circle), I spoke with Uday about buying Punto --

I requested him to check for (i)Corp Discount
(ii)Insurance
(iii)Factory fitted alloy with 15" tubeless tyres for MJD Emotion
(iv)teflon and anti rusting

I am getting a Corp Cash Discount of Rs 12000/- (this may change from company to company)
They have Royal Sundaram tied up with Tata Service centers so there will be cashless coverage if one goes with them.They are Charging 16800/- which I think is fine till someone gives me a better price for cashless coverage.
Tomorrow I will come to know how much I have to pay extra for Alloy & 15" Tyres. They were not keen to replace and fit alloys and they will not take the Rim and new tyres, so I asked them to check with factory and let me know the cost difference, this thing will delay the delivery by 1.5 months, which is ok for me.
Tefflon they are not giving, instead they will do anti scratch. And they are saying anti rust is being done at factory and not reqd right now that can be done at the time of 1st service. Is this correct?
Old 31st July 2009, 20:31   #802
BANNED

If the Indian version's front overhang is cropped, how does it still retain its 5 star NCAP rating? What is the effect on crumple zone due to trimming of its frontal length?
Now, I really doubt the frontal crash worthiness of the Indian version. Safety conscious buyers must consider this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivasankar View Post
Is there a noticeable difference in the front overhang?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
May be its there. As per the rules, a car to enjoy tax concessions, its length must be less than 4 mtrs. i.e. 4000mm. So the car, specially the front overhang must have been trimmed ( also this is good for our road conditions ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To its credit, the Punto has received an impressive 5 star safety rating in the NCAP.
Old 31st July 2009, 20:42   #803
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks !!!
I bought a palio mulijet 1.3 SDX 15 months back. If i had to choose today, i would definitely go for punto. It's a new car. It's bigger. It's fiat best seller. palio interiors are pretty old and since it doesn't sell that well, you might get the car/parts which may be lying in their stockyard for a long time.
Since you plan to keep the car for a long time, i feel you should go for punto as spare parts for palio might be an issue some years down the lane as palio stile never sold in good numbers as compared to linea/punto which have lot of parts in common.
Old 31st July 2009, 20:43   #804
BHPian

Its probably reduced by only a few mm. (most of the axe fell on the rare bumper).
That minute difference doesn't reduce the NCAP rating from 5 to 4 so as to cause concern for "safety-conscious" buyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
If the Indian version's front overhang is cropped, how does it still retain its 5 star NCAP rating? What is the effect on crumple zone due to trimming of its frontal length?
Now, I really doubt the frontal crash worthiness of the Indian version. Safety conscious buyers must consider this.
Old 1st August 2009, 10:54   #805
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe its the front & rear bumpers that have been shaved off a couple of mm's to bring the Punto to within the 4,000 mm tax-benefit length. Nope, it will certainly not affect the safety in any major way.
Old 1st August 2009, 11:27   #806
BANNED

i dont get the logic. even the newspaper ads dont show about the Euro Ncap ratings? hows this 5 star ratings reached at?? .

as per my knowledge as of now no car can get this rating without side airbags!.

is this a marketing gimmick or is it really true or is this blindly following the European Punto ratings??

Physics does play an important role. even a difference of 1mm will have difference in the crumble zone behavior ( the crash force dissipation pattern will be different! ) .

does the Company themselves advertise this? then its a rip off because as of now in 2009 a car without side airbags just cannot get 5 star safety ratings period!!

Last edited by Thomas8700 : 1st August 2009 at 11:28. Reason: spell check
Old 1st August 2009, 12:20   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
as per my knowledge as of now no car can get this rating without side airbags!.
Seems like the Honda Jazz did get 5 star's without side airbags. Do note however, that the car had ESP.

Quote:
does the Company themselves advertise this?
Fiat and advertising?!

While all of us have discussed deeply about Jazz, i20 and Punto Euro Ncap ratings, I don't recollect anyone talking or asking about the Ritz's safety rankings. Suzuki Splash Euro Ncap ratings.

In a nutshell, Splash comes with side bags but no ESP and gets 4 star ranking.
Old 1st August 2009, 13:21   #808
BHPian

I got a new insurance quote from Reliance for my punto Diesel Emotion pack

- 100% vehicle value covered i.e., 614331/-
- Insurance quote 12700/-

Coverages:
1) Owner driver - 2 lacks
2) each occupant - 2 lacks
3) paid driver - 50000/-
4) 3rd party property damage - 7.5 lacks
5) 3rd person death/disability - unlimited
6) PA unnamed coverages for 2 lacks (all 5 occupants)

Now, how iz reliance compared to Bajaj allianz?

Please let me know if anone experiences with reliance on claiming and all. Strict than bajaj?

You can contact jayashree @9945262996 (Again you can vinod refered lol)
Old 1st August 2009, 13:32   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
Physics does play an important role. even a difference of 1mm will have difference in the crumble zone behavior ( the crash force dissipation pattern will be different! ) .
A few mm difference in the lenght of front bumper? C'mon lets not loose objectivity here and get hypercritical.
Old 1st August 2009, 14:24   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
A few mm difference in the lenght of front bumper? C'mon lets not loose objectivity here and get hypercritical.
True. The bumper only absorbs minor impacts. For bigger impacts, the crumple zones are in the engine compartment and other steel structures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks