Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2009, 19:04   #811
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Punto is definitely not making the grade in acceleration runs. ACI & OD (latest issue) - both - have clocked 17 - 18 second timings for the 0 - 100 dash. I reiterate that the diesel makes far more sense. Nearly as quick as the petrol, way more fuel efficient and potentially better resale.
Punto acceleration figures are truly depressing. Not just for the diesel but for the petrol too. Compare this:
__________0-100____20-80
---------------------------
Linea D____15.04s___11.86s
Punto D___ 17.84s___12.57s
Linea P____15.14s___14.04s
Punto P___ 16.58s___14.11s

Figures were taken from Autocar mag.

The diesel Punto's figures seem okay since, compared to the Linea, it misses the VGT. But can somebody explain the bad figures of the Petrol? It uses the same engine as the Linea, and is lighter by around 50kg. Still it performs worse than the Linea. Why?

However, yesterday I happened to spot a Red Punto on Hosur road. This was the first Punto that I am spotted in Bangalore. I drive an Optra, and usually, I drive very spiritedly, and hardly anybody (other than those accords and the likes) overtakes me. Not so this time. The Punto overtook me, and I tried hard to keep up with it to get a good look at it, but no avail. At last I had to get to a traffic jam at E-city jn, before I could get to see it properly. It was a red Emotion (not pack). And looking at the way it was being driven, all these 0-100 and 20-80 figures seem to blur away.

BTW, does the owner belong here?

Old 2nd August 2009, 20:03   #812
ada
BHPian

@ Ashwin - Did you get to see whether it was a petrol or a diesel?
Old 2nd August 2009, 21:37   #813
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
@ Ashwin - Did you get to see whether it was a petrol or a diesel?
No. In fact I didn't know where to look.

Old 3rd August 2009, 00:11   #814
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinpak View Post
No. In fact I didn't know where to look.
From behind there is no way you can say is it Petrol or Diesel. Only the Multijet letters on front grill are the differential which in your case you might not have been able to see as Punto has left you behind

Your experience raises another question - how far do we believe Auto Mags figures ?
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:45   #815
BHPian

Figures are sometimes quite misleading. Moreover, I have always pointed out to Autocar once that they didn't drive the Linea as it should be driven to measure fastest 0-100 for its gear ratios. Leaving aside the figures, my diesel Linea too overtake almost every other car on the road when I'm on the highway. And it is pretty easy. It is no way underpowered for Indian roads. Nonetheless, I have plans to put the psi power box by Feb.

Quote:
Punto acceleration figures are truly depressing. Not just for the diesel but for the petrol too. Compare this:
__________0-100____20-80

The diesel Punto's figures seem okay since, compared to the Linea, it misses the VGT. But can somebody explain the bad figures of the Petrol? It uses the same engine as the Linea, and is lighter by around 50kg. Still it performs worse than the Linea. Why?

However, yesterday I happened to spot a Red Punto on Hosur road. This was the first Punto that I am spotted in Bangalore. I drive an Optra, and usually, I drive very spiritedly, and hardly anybody (other than those accords and the likes) overtakes me. Not so this time. The Punto overtook me, and I tried hard to keep up with it to get a good look at it, but no avail. At last I had to get to a traffic jam at E-city jn, before I could get to see it properly. It was a red Emotion (not pack). And looking at the way it was being driven, all these 0-100 and 20-80 figures seem to blur away.

BTW, does the owner belong here?
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:59   #816
BANNED

Did you do a 0-100 or 20-80 Punto's timing in traffic to rebut the Auto Mag's figures?
Quote:
I drive an Optra, and usually, I drive very spiritedly, and hardly anybody (other than those accords and the likes) overtakes me. Not so this time. The Punto overtook me, and I tried hard to keep up with it to get a good look at it, but no avail. At last I had to get to a traffic jam at E-city jn, before I could get to see it properly. It was a red Emotion (not pack). And looking at the way it was being driven, all these 0-100 and 20-80 figures seem to blur away.
I think the Auto Mags use some kind of timing device to measure 0-100 figures. Maybe you are not person who looks at these figures. But there is no need to mistrust the official figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Your experience raises another question - how far do we believe Auto Mags figures ?
If Punto with 17.x figures for 0-100 can have exhilarating experience, imagine those that do these figues in 13.x
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:29   #817
BANNED

mags post the actual 0-100 timings using a V-box in most probability.

and yes half a sec here and there are accepted as these test drivers rip the car like anything.

i really dont think everyone would be able to match the 0-100 figures given in mags unless they are all experienced test drivers.

in actual world with speedo error involved, 0-100 would turn to be actually less time.if the same test driver is driving. or may be more if an average joe is driving. and yes these timings are reached at by those who do perfect shifts!

in reality the linea and punto for that matter are even slower for the average joe.

unless and until the driver drives a more powerful car, he will never realize the difference.

and to all the guys who says in gear time is good and all.

wake up guys. there is no rule that one should ride the vehicle in thrid gear at all times.

drivers are not handicaps. just gearing down and stepping on the throttle is no big deal.
for the lazy types who are so frustrated to step on the clutch and change the gear. the in gear times are good. but why make a big fuss!.

even in the city drives i have never had to ride all day in third gear. stop and go traffic modern diesel engines can move ahead on just half clutch or just leave the clutch gradually and the car just keeps moving. isnt that enough for heavy city traffic?

and can anyone make sure whether the injection systems are imported from italy for the indian linea or are they manufactured in india. i find a mismatch in european linea and indian linea power ratings!.

if the power ratings are different then dont bother putting in PSI tuning box( petes box in india) as they are mapped/designed for the european linea!. the dealers will sell it they have nothing to loose. but i dont think its a good idea! injection and /or rail pressure patterns WILL be different in indian linea compared to the one available in belgium!.

put it on your own risk.

can any of the swift owners and palio owners using boxes confirm that indeed they are different boxes and not the same. using the same box would be the norm in india probably the dealers wont bother to import specifically for the punto/ritz/palio.

it do is true that the tuning in all the vehicles are different. injection / rail pressure mapping is what i meant. though the use of same swift box in all the vehicles will provide a power increase in actual scenario, never expect it to be as reliable as in the swift

happy motoring to all.
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:31   #818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
in reality the linea and punto for that matter are even slower for the average joe.

unless and until the driver drives a more powerful car, he will never realize the difference.
I am an average joe that has gone from driving a S10 to a Punto Multijet. Any comments on that?

Quote:
and to all the guys who says in gear time is good and all.

wake up guys. there is no rule that one should ride the vehicle in thrid gear at all times.
You can drive Punto in fifth gear and it moves well. Besides, every car has to be driven in it's correct gear. Even the M3. Laziness apart, it's easier on the car if you drive it in the correct gear.
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:51   #819
BHPian

Guys do we really need to check that 4 or 5 seconds difference if the car has reached from 0 to 100, not for me. Its a wonder car for me which I want to drive for long hours . And these figures will differ from driver to driver as each has their unique style... lets the new punto owners bring their on road experience in the city roads and highways.... I have booked mine which will take a months time. Planning to go a 2000km drive in my punto( Bangalore to Kolkata)....

have a nice day
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:36   #820
ada
BHPian

Hey guys, is the acceleration figure really so important ? Be it 13 secs or 18 secs, does it really matter? My ex-Alto was a very peppy car, if I wanted I could leave most cars behind at signals (from red to green). But is that the reason (drag racing) that we buy a car? As long as we are happy with the car's overall performance, things like acceleration and all are just theories, good on paper.

BTW: I still do not know what was the Alto's 0-80 / 100 figures.
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:55   #821
Senior - BHPian

Test drove the Punto D today.

Loved the exteriors, but the interior was a big let down. It looks completely outdated wrt to the exterior design. Infact my OHC dash looks sleeker than that.

Performance wise, i was struggling to find the punch i had felt when i test drove the Swift D. The car just takes forever to acc. Also, i could hear this grinding sound from the transmission when ever i tried acc in 1st and 2nd gears. Not sure what that was all about.

The engine was smooth and ride quality was great even on bad roads.

For people who just need a comfortable car to cruise between 80-120, this will do just fine. The rest will need to consider other options.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 3rd August 2009 at 15:00.
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:36   #822
Senior - BHPian

I have small doubt that needs clarification;

which punto's come with silver finish grill, and which ones with the black grill?
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:49   #823

I guess Active version has the black grill and the rest come with silver although I have never seen a dynamic ...
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:31   #824
Senior - BHPian

thats what i'm guessing, active + dynamic have the black grill.

thanks
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:59   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
__________0-100____20-80

The 20-80 3rd gear and 40-100 4th gear figures are quite good for both Punto D and Punto P. Most cars have higher in-gear times than the above for B and C segment. For eg., my Lancer P has higher 40-100kmph time in 4th gear, and most C segment petrol sedans are similar. The in-city driving may feel quick due to the good 20-80 and 40-100 timings...

Most Viewed