Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 19:22   #826
Senior - BHPian

Bought this months issue of Auto Bild yesterday and they have compared the i20 petrol (1.2), Punto (1.4) and Swift 1.3.

As per them the i20 is the fastest of the trio with a 0-100 time of 12.9 secs, followed by the Punto at 13.4 and Swift at 13.8 secs.

I will post the exact times once I reach home. Also the Punto has better in-gear acceleration times. What beats me though is the difference between Autocar India and Auto Bild. Are Auto Bild's drivers so much better than ACI or there is something that I am not able to comprehend?

Food for thought guys.
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:13   #827
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Guys do we really need to check that 4 or 5 seconds difference if the car has reached from 0 to 100, not for me.
Actually, GP owners & those who intends to buy it like you are not feeling the need after doing a detailed TD or driving GP in their initial ownership.

Quote:
lets the new punto owners bring their on road experience in the city roads and highways.
There are a number of GP ownership reports here. Unfortunately, their ownership feedbacks are not considered to be sufficient here.
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:25   #828
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
in reality the linea and punto for that matter are even slower for the average joe.

unless and until the driver drives a more powerful car, he will never realize the difference.
These are serious statements & I would suggest you to have a look at GP/ Linea ownership reports to know VoC (Voice of Customers).

On your 2nd statement, many of those GP/ Linea owners have an existing other "powerful" car & their feedback is like coming straight from Horse's mouth. PL do visit those ownership reports
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:27   #829
BHPian

As per ACC Palio 1.9 D does 0 to 100 in 19.7 Sec but never felt that slow ,in fact never felt my car slow in day to day running and even on highway unless you want to rip your car.
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:33   #830
BHPian

I have a question for gurus. When it comes to vehicles that are going to be driven by masses, how does it make a difference if a vehicle takes 10 or 15 seconds to a 100m dash. We all drive around everyday, in my personal experience, I am yet to see a fellow taking off from a signal. Only place where acceleration matters is highway, where overtaking maneuvers require the car to be adequately powered. So, I do not understand why so much importance is given to 0-100 dash timings. Can anyone explain please?
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:35   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
I have a question for gurus. When it comes to vehicles that are going to be driven by masses, how does it make a difference if a vehicle takes 10 or 15 seconds to a 100m dash. We all drive around everyday, in my personal experience, I am yet to see a fellow taking off from a signal. Only place where acceleration matters is highway, where overtaking maneuvers require the car to be adequately powered. So, I do not understand why so much importance is given to 0-100 dash timings. Can anyone explain please?
It may not matter to many, but to me it really does. I wouldn't like a smaller car (say an Alto as an Eg) to get off the board at a signal, leaving behind a more powerful hatch (on paper) or a sedan. I would feel cheated having spent that extra lakh on the so called powerful hatch when a smaller car leaves me behind its RVM. Having said that one has to compromise between Power and efficiency. One can't have the best of both. But a car that offers the optimal mix of both is the one that gives the best bang for the buck and I feel Punto is lacking here. To offer better FE, it has more than compromised on the peppiness.
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:49   #832
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
These are serious statements & I would suggest you to have a look at GP/ Linea ownership reports to know VoC (Voice of Customers).

On your 2nd statement, many of those GP/ Linea owners have an existing other "powerful" car & their feedback is like coming straight from Horse's mouth. PL do visit those ownership reports
i have gone through other ownership reports. NO ONE is claiming it to be a power house. leave that. even those punto owners who even exchanged his swift for the punto had admitted that the punto is not that peppy compared to the swift. another owner says he traded the S10 for the punto. comparison in this case is not fair.( still for him the power of punto is enough) but the previous one is well justified.

so my statement holds true. when the previous owner has driven the same engined swift he was able to make out that the punto is not as good as the swift in that department. which means when you have driven the another car from the same segment. with better power delivery , you can realize that the punto or linea for that matter are not at the TOP of the league of the current competition.

there is a difference between. this much power is enough for me. and a really powerfull car.

the punto owners all agree on the former part that for the city and highway its enough for them and they are happy.

but that doesnt mean that a car like punto is fast or can be considered as fast!! as the other hatch backs on the market WITH the SAME ENGINE.

the makers of the engine themselves cant tune it good. while all others who arent at all involved in the design of that engine seems to be able to extract better from it!!.

whats the logic? this is like saying. you cant bring out out the best of your own child! other guys can .
Old 3rd August 2009, 23:26   #833
ada
BHPian

Power is not just acceleration from 0-80/100, its just one part of the story. At lower gears maruti may be peppy, but when it comes to performance at higher speed (highways), punto can leave the whole lot behind. Or even while performing under load, a steep incline or a heavy car or with Air con on, and again Punto will perform better. Drag race at signal, acceleration time etc. is just a false moral boosters lasting 15 secs.
Old 4th August 2009, 07:50   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
Power is not just acceleration from 0-80/100, its just one part of the story. At lower gears maruti may be peppy, but when it comes to performance at higher speed (highways), punto can leave the whole lot behind. Or even while performing under load, a steep incline or a heavy car or with Air con on, and again Punto will perform better. Drag race at signal, acceleration time etc. is just a false moral boosters lasting 15 secs.
I will quite agree with this. 0-100 dash timings make sense in bikes where jumping off a signal is a matter of pride for some. But to make a car do the same, I feel amounts to irresponsible driving. City driving is not drag racing. As far as inclines go, even in a car as old as my Uno, I was able to take the steep incline (Mysore to Ooty shortcut) completely where other newer and more powerful cars (Santro, Baleno, Gypsy) went huffing and puffing and had to return back to follow the normal route.

So as ada said, I feel it is more of a 15 sec morale booster for the owner to feel that a particular car can do a 0-100 dash in 10 sec.
Old 4th August 2009, 09:38   #835
BANNED

why do you guys compare gasoline vehicles and diesel vehicles in inclines.

heck the punto diesel will leave the punto petrol dead in the slopes etc. here the torque at lower revs is the reason why the diesels pull along real nice.

the uno is not tubo charged, ( old gen diesels like uno, palio, accent dls, lancer diesel, etc ) have linear torque delivery and that too from very low revs!! no turbo lag in them.

but be sure, in the slope with the current 1.3mjd diesels engined cars, the swift will levae all other including punto gasping. there is no comparison. drive side by side to know the difference. but yes less rattle and better ride quality will be in punto .

no pain no gain huh
Old 4th August 2009, 10:08   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
the makers of the engine themselves cant tune it good. while all others who arent at all involved in the design of that engine seems to be able to extract better from it!!.
How do you conclude that? Punto has 76bhp and Swift has 75bhp. Swift is BS III and Punto is BS IV.

Oh! Come on. Please don't tell me the 0-100 timings as a tuning parameter. Even if you depend on the 0-100 timings, are you going to say that Suzuki's quality of engine tuning has degraded because 0-100 timing for Ritz diesel is longer than Swift diesel?

The kind of acceleration that lets you feel pinned to the seat is not the only parameter. Even in a drag race, what is more important is the best timing in say, first quarter Km or first Km or next two Kms. In most practical situations, the best in-gear accelerations will keep you ahead.

And also remember that for swift to shift to a third gear, your speed should be about 30 Kmph whereas in Linea or Punto you can shift quite early, which gives advantage in city driving. For instance, at speed 40 Kmph, you can drive a Linea diesel in 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 4th gear or even 5th gear whichever would suit your requirement.

People expect others to drive like Swift and when it does not, it is considered bad tuning by default. Quite immature judgement!!
Old 4th August 2009, 10:14   #837
ashwinpak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Bought this months issue of Auto Bild yesterday and they have compared the i20 petrol (1.2), Punto (1.4) and Swift 1.3.

As per them the i20 is the fastest of the trio with a 0-100 time of 12.9 secs, followed by the Punto at 13.4 and Swift at 13.8 secs.

I will post the exact times once I reach home. Also the Punto has better in-gear acceleration times. What beats me though is the difference between Autocar India and Auto Bild. Are Auto Bild's drivers so much better than ACI or there is something that I am not able to comprehend?

Food for thought guys.
Auto Bild numbers make better sense. I checked Autocar again, and see that they have never done a test on the Punto 1.4, but have done on the 1.2. Interestingly in the table (in the back pages), 1.2 figures are missing while 1.4 figures are there. Now, the 1.2 figures in the test says that 0-100 takes 18 secs. Compare that with the 16.58 of the 1.4. There is something amiss here. I think 13.4 is a more realistic figure.

Coming to Overdrive, the tester also states that he did the tests in rain. He says that the rain has affected the figures (dunno how), and says that they will update the figures once they repeat the test in better conditions.

ps: 13.4s for the petrol looks okay to me. My Optra does a 13, I guess. I think I should take a TD of the Punto petrol. If it enthuses me, then I am going to ditch my plans for an automatic and buy the Punto 1.4.

Last edited by ashwinpak : 4th August 2009 at 10:18.

Old 4th August 2009, 10:20   #838
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Nuts & bolts, VajanPujari, Opendo, Thomas, ada, Parimal & Nuri.

All are corect here, Swift is faster from 0-100, but the Punto is more planted on the road and the power is more safely usable and each user has a different requirement. Punto is also a much heavier car, it is like loading a car with 2 additional persons all the while.

The Solution: Remap the Punto, and if you want the fast acceleration vs the swift with its planted drive. Ofcourse one could also remap the swift, but then that would also require a larger tyre size change for the swift.

Remaping/ adding a tuning box of both engines can be done very easily to get the best of both worlds.
Old 4th August 2009, 10:35   #839
BHPian

Just this morning a red Punto MJD overtook me swiftly on the WEH at Vile Parle (I was at around 80kmph). I had to literally step on the gas of my S10 to get close to the car. It was a chauffer driven one, with 3 people sitting.

It was clipping at 110kmph & was accelerating quite briskly - didn't seem slow at all to me!!
Old 4th August 2009, 10:52   #840
BHPian

The car fells slower in the 1st and 2nd gear, but once it crosses 1500 rpm in the third gear there is definitely no catching it after that. I feel it could be because of the gear ratios, the moment you press the pedal in the first and second gear it crosses and 2.5k rpm. So if we could something to overcome that then it would be definitely more faster than majority of the cars in its segment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks