Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:00   #1216
Senior - BHPian

Punto is a very underpowered car

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreddy View Post

Finally the Punto is a very underpowered car. It takes ages to even overtake an auto, should i wait till the end of the run in period before i Pete the darn thing? If not when (mileage) is it advisable to Pete a Punto?
Is it your first diesel car?
if yes, you need to master art of driving diesel cars

or Do you have more powerful cars? In that case, you may find Punto underpowered!

you can find some information @ below link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...e-punto-4.html

Last edited by recshenoy : 23rd October 2009 at 11:06.
Old 23rd October 2009, 11:07   #1217
BHPian

Quote:
Finally the Punto is a very underpowered car. It takes ages to even overtake an auto, should i wait till the end of the run in period before i Pete the darn thing? If not when (mileage) is it advisable to Pete a Punto?

@ Krreddy : I own a Punto MJD E , it does feel a bit underpowered , but this is what i have to say .

1] Let the engine warm up [ 5 ~ 7 ] Kms , then a diesel will give you good feedback and pickup as the engine is warm .

2] Wait till 3,000 Kms , drive her slowly till then with appropriate gear ratios and keep the RPM below 3,000 till then , let the engine slowly settle in / run in .

But if it makes you feel any better get it checked with your Dealer .

These are my 2 cents ,
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:21   #1218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We just bought a new Red Punto MJD E+. I have a few questions.

I'm hearing some rattling noises inside the car. I'm pretty sure it's of our rear seats. I can probably get it fixed at the first service.

We also had JBL Oval Speakers (400 W) fitted at the back. Should we also change our component speakers & tweeters to enhance quality & more importantly the bass?

We decided against the speaker plywood. Should we go for it to reduce the vibration & rattling sounds?

The Punto has done over 600 Kms so far, is it advisable to change the engine oil after 1000 KM? If so can i go for Mobil 1 instead of Selenia? I think we have a very good Mobil 1 service center here in Hyderabad.

To answer your queries pointwise:
1. The rattling could be from imprperly fitted rear seats - have it checked by the dealer. It might be the rear parcel tray (due to the speakers fitted on it).

2. Change the componets if you want better clarity and high notes. If it is mroe bass you want - fit an amp and tune it properly. You can also consider a sub-woofer (free to air) fitted in the rear parcel tray.

3. I am amazed that the rear parcel tray is able to support the JBL speakers. Please change it before the tray breaks from the weight of the speakers.

4. Selenia is a very good oil. Stick to what the dealer puts in (or what Fiat recommends) at least till the warranty is over.

5. If you are comparing the GP with your Octy - yes it will feel underpowered. Try to keep the GP within its power band and things might improve. Most Punto and Linea owners have reported an improvement in performance after about 2K km.

Cheers,
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:36   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Is it your first diesel car?
if yes, you need to master art of driving diesel cars

or Do you have more powerful cars? In that case, you may find Punto underpowered!

you can find some information @ below link

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...e-punto-4.html
Apart from our old 800, we've always bought diesel cars (Ambassodor, Qualis, Bolero, FIAT Uno, Octavia, Verna).

Our Octavia too (Punto) felt like the pick up was linear and we thought that was kind of underpowered. So Punto has been a

Our Verna has very good pick up, but no road stability what so ever.

BTW does anybody know when i could pete this car?
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:42   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Does the Punto manual come with the running-in instructions for the car ? I didn't find anything from a quick look at the manual.

The only thing I found was that hard braking should be avoided in the first 500 KM. Nothing in terms of speed or engine rpm.
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:11   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apart from our old 800, we've always bought diesel cars (Ambassodor, Qualis, Bolero, FIAT Uno, Octavia, Verna).

Our Octavia too (Punto) felt like the pick up was linear and we thought that was kind of underpowered. So Punto has been a

Our Verna has very good pick up, but no road stability what so ever.

BTW does anybody know when i could pete this car?
Do not pete before run in closes and most experts advise around 10k or so is the best time.
However if you are peting cos of 1st and 2nd gear lag issue then i dont think much difference will be there.
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:15   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Do not pete before run in closes and most experts advise around 10k or so is the best time.
However if you are peting cos of 1st and 2nd gear lag issue then i dont think much difference will be there.
I'm fine with the first two gears, but i really need some drag in 3rd and 4th.

We've also been hearing some creaky engine noise when i'm in 2nd gear and over 2000 rpm (around 2000 - 2500). Really wish it goes away after our 1st servicing.

Is it advisable to change the engine oil after 1000 Kms?

Last edited by Eddy : 24th October 2009 at 14:44. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts. Use the edit option if posting within 20 min. Thanks
Old 24th October 2009, 07:38   #1223
BHPian

I would like to know why the light cluster on the rear bumper looks asymmetric. The right cluster is full red whereas the left cluster is half red and half white.

Somehow I had missed observing this earlier until yesterday when I saw a Punto. Is there a specific reason for such an arrangement or
Old 24th October 2009, 21:12   #1224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerBullet View Post
I would like to know why the light cluster on the rear bumper looks asymmetric. The right cluster is full red whereas the left cluster is half red and half white.

Somehow I had missed observing this earlier until yesterday when I saw a Punto. Is there a specific reason for such an arrangement or
The cluster on the left is reverse lamp whereas the one on the right is foglamp. Both the sides have a reflector. Most europeon cars have similar configuration.
Old 25th October 2009, 10:21   #1225
BHPian

Hi clevermax,
Just wanted to kno if you have posted your Punto's complete Pictures in TBHP & the ownership report , other than the pic's posted in this thread. Jus was intrested to read see the Dynamic's details

Last edited by motor spirit : 25th October 2009 at 10:22.
Old 25th October 2009, 18:20   #1226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
Hi clevermax,
Just wanted to kno if you have posted your Punto's complete Pictures in TBHP & the ownership report , other than the pic's posted in this thread. Jus was intrested to read see the Dynamic's details
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...punto-mjd.html

here u go. the above link is of a dynamic owner.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:02   #1227
BHPian

Steering Rack Movement on your foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Other points:

• Also, you can feel the steering rack moving (on your foot) if you press the clutch pedal entirely and turn the wheel.
A reassuring observation. What is the reason for this behaviour?
I did not feel this in the test ride, but now i can feel this if i turn during parking.

I thought the best practice to press clutch entirely when changing.

Is it not? or is it a design flaw of the steering rack?

Regards
paritosh
Old 30th October 2009, 13:13   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Hope to see this engine in India soon in similar configuration.

From Fiat press release:

Second-generation MultiJet

All Fiat Punto Evo diesel engines are equipped with the next-generation MultiJet Common Rail injection system. This highly advanced solution can control high engine pressures (up to 1600 bar) without being tied to engine speed or the quantity of fuel injected.

In the 1.3 MultiJet Euro 5 versions, the system uses innovative common rail injectors that, thanks to a balanced hydraulic servo-valve, are able to more precisely control the quantity of diesel injected into the combustion chamber, with a faster and more flexible sequence of injections than was previously possible. By reducing the amount of time between injections, these injectors optimise fuel introduction to the chamber and therefore make the diesel combustion process more gradual, with positive effects for consumption, emissions, NVH and handling. In fact, the new common rail injector on the Euro 5 engines cuts consumption and CO2 on the approved cycle by around 2%, while at the same time reducing harmful emissions.

The second-generation MultiJets are therefore the latest development in the Common Rail injection system which, after the JTD (1997) and MultiJet (2003) engines, gives the Fiat Group yet another first in this field.
The 1.3 MultiJet is available in Euro 4 (75 and 90 hp) and Euro 5 (75 and 95 hp) versions, the latter coming with a particulate filter and Start&Stop as standard. In addition, turbo is carried out either by a fixed geometry turbocharger (75 hp) or a variable geometry turbocharger (90 and 95 hp). The Euro 5 versions have next-generation turbochargers that, combined with the new second-generation MultiJet injection system, ensure the best possible turbo function at any engine operating level, with torque delivery at low revs up to 25 per cent higher than on Euro 4 versions.

The performance levels of the 95 hp second-generation 1.3 MultiJet (Euro 5) are well worth a mention: top speed of 178 km/h, 0-100 km/h in 11.7 seconds, consumption of 4.2 l/100 km and 110 g/km of CO2 emissions (in the combined cycle). When combined with the Dualogic gearbox, consumption falls to 4.1 l/100 km and emissions to 107 g/km.

Finally, the Fiat Punto Evo range retains the brilliant 120 hp 1.6 MultiJet Euro 5 with DPF from the previous model. With this engine, the car can reach a top speed of 193 km/h (Sport version) and go from 0-100 km/h in 9.6 seconds. Excellent performance also comes with reduced consumption and emissions: in the combined cycle, these figures are 4.5 l/100 km and 119 g/km of CO2 respectively.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-fiatpunto_evo_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_1c.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-fiatpunto_evo_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_1f.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-fiatpunto_evo_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_02.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-fiatpunto_evo_2010_1280x960_wallpaper_33.jpg  

Old 30th October 2009, 13:17   #1229
Senior - BHPian

The engines seems to be pretty good. But i hate the black lip on the front. It totally spoils the look of the car! The current Punto is anyday better looking!

Last edited by theragingbull : 30th October 2009 at 13:18.
Old 30th October 2009, 18:03   #1230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Hope to see this engine in India soon in similar configuration.
+1 to that hope! We (as enthusiasts) have expected a lot of Fiat with the Linea and GP launches and IMHO it has delivered in most respects except for stonking performance in either car.

With the 1.4 T-jet being launched in the Linea in jan 2010 (as per another thread), I wonder when we will see that engine in the Punto.

These mouth-watering new engines seem too far away from being launched in India anytime soon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks