Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:29   #1531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
"But what made you spend 7 lacs on a small car like GP. You could have easily bought yourself a Dzire"... [I declared myself out hit wicket]

I still don't know if I should answer this question. Even if I have to any ideas for a "shortest" possible answer (that does not sound rude)?
Well, I had this question from every elderly person in my and my in-laws family. They think we are stupid but I cant fathom myself in a Dzire. Not sure what these folks see in that car!!

For me, looks and performance were prime. When I pulled over the car next to my uncles Accent, did folks start understanding that this was quite a big car too with adequate boot space too.
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:51   #1532
BHPian

^^ agreed - I can't imagine myself in a dzire over a punto. However that just shows the bigger is better mentality still rules! Imagine what would happen to a civic or corolla hatch!
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:17   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzerus View Post
@Pyrotek:

Did they mention any date as when these new colors would be available ?
Apparently, the two new shades should be available next month.
Old 24th February 2010, 21:12   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Check out some cool DIY stuff for the GP :

Grande Punto Guides - The FIAT Forum
Old 24th February 2010, 22:36   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Fiat is adding Dynamic and Emotion Version in its Euro4 spec engine series for 1.2 , 8V 65CV / 48KW.
Hmm, not sure how should I react to this!!
Its good as you have better spec 1.2, but will they find any buyers for a 1.2?
I hope they must have got feedback from dealers!!!

Any one knows the sales figures for 1.2 anyway?

Regarding "Fox Trot Azure", somehow I dint like it in Linea. It does look great if the car is parked under shade, like in showroom, but in under bright sun it looks dull. We have Fox Trot Azure Linea parked in our office parking, mostly in open parking. It looks good when I see it in the evening but not in noon.

Last edited by HammerHead : 24th February 2010 at 22:45.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:34   #1536
BHPian

Is it OK to drive the GP 1.4 in bumper to bumper stop n go traffic in the second gear OR when moving forward from a stand still it should always be from the first gear. Does downshifting to 1st gear always needed unless you are at a slope or stopped for a long time.
Old 25th February 2010, 13:40   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Is it OK to drive the GP 1.4 in bumper to bumper stop n go traffic in the second gear OR when moving forward from a stand still it should always be from the first gear. Does downshifting to 1st gear always needed unless you are at a slope or stopped for a long time.
Its perfectly fine to drive in 2nd gear in traffic, provided you don't strain the engine by trying to move along from very low engine speeds. From my back to back test of the Punto 1.4 & Hyundai i20, I surprisingly found the i20 more driveable in the 2nd gear. It could be the difference in the gearing of the two cars, but what I experienced was that while going over a speed breaker, the Punto required a shift to 1st more often than the i20. Which means at very low speeds, the Punto does require a shift to 1st gear. So don't stress the engine more than required and shift down to 1st when you feel that not doing so will put a strain on the engine.
Old 25th February 2010, 15:04   #1538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Its perfectly fine to drive in 2nd gear in traffic, provided you don't strain the engine by trying to move along from very low engine speeds. From my back to back test of the Punto 1.4 & Hyundai i20, I surprisingly found the i20 more driveable in the 2nd gear. It could be the difference in the gearing of the two cars, but what I experienced was that while going over a speed breaker, the Punto required a shift to 1st more often than the i20. Which means at very low speeds, the Punto does require a shift to 1st gear. So don't stress the engine more than required and shift down to 1st when you feel that not doing so will put a strain on the engine.
Thanks for your reply. I mostly go over a speed breaker in 2nd gear and even 3rd gear at times and rarely in 1st gear. 1st I use it when almost completely stopped and after the signals open, to move forward but crawling traffic 2nd is the most used. And be it 1st or 2nd I am not able to avoid half clutching entirely thou. So when crawling in 2nd if I stop and then have to proceed is it advisable to downshift to 1st then proceed or can just proceed in 2nd. I do this when I am the only one in car. And if its loaded with passengers and boot then its difficult to move in 2nd from a complete stop.
Old 25th February 2010, 15:55   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
And be it 1st or 2nd I am not able to avoid half clutching entirely thou. So when crawling in 2nd if I stop and then have to proceed is it advisable to downshift to 1st then proceed or can just proceed in 2nd. I do this when I am the only one in car. And if its loaded with passengers and boot then its difficult to move in 2nd from a complete stop.
I can understand that avoiding the 'half clutching' totally is practically difficult and more so in very slow moving traffic. As a thumb rule, its a must that you practice downshifting to 1st when your car comes to a complete standstill (whether you are driving alone or with passengers and luggage aboard), even if momentarily in traffic or say when you go over a big speed bump where you have slow down a fair bit. It will save your engine and clutch. As a starting point for practice, try and downshift to 1st as soon as your car's speed reduces and the speedometer touches 10km/h. Hope this helps.

Last edited by roms : 25th February 2010 at 15:57.
Old 25th February 2010, 19:41   #1540
BHPian

crawling speed

I drive a 1.4 emo pack. earlier I use to drive a V2 turbo (diesel) So moving on to this petrol is kinda difficult coz of the very less torque.

And in bumper to bumper traffic in mumbai or going through small lanes with people walking you are mostly in the speed range of not more than 20 km/h.

So what i'm doing to shift in 1st & 2nd is see how fast my GP is going compared to the people walking..

If I'm faster than them, I stay in 2nd.
If they are faster, I down shift to 1st.

This is helping me to avoid half clutching and getting confused should i down shift to first or not.

And i really dont find the engine lug now as well. I guess it did take some time to get used to this now.

Hope this helps.
Old 25th February 2010, 21:10   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotek View Post
Guys, I'd posted a comment on the CEO corner of Fiat India's website complaining about the limited colour range on the Punto.

Just got a mail from Tarun Khanna (Head-Marketing) stating that two new colours will be added in March. The Fox Trot Azure from the Linea and a new shade of red.

Bravo Fiat! Bravo! I appreciate the promptness...

Hi,

I enquired about new colours both prerana & concord of bengaluru, they don't have any info on the same, i want to see the new red shade, if possible post the reply mail from fiat to here, so that i try to confirm from dealers.
Old 3rd March 2010, 17:19   #1542

Underbody Treatment

The Fox Trot Azure looks really awesome!

Guys, wanted some information on the underbody coat for Punto. Concorde Motors, Bangalore is quoting a price of 2.3k for the same. I have some questions.

1. Is a underbody treatment required for a not-so-humid place like Bangalore?
2. Would it be better to go for a 3M treatment instead?
3. Good 3M dealer in Bangalore?
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:21   #1543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveencp View Post
Guys, wanted some information on the underbody coat for Punto. Concorde Motors, Bangalore is quoting a price of 2.3k for the same. I have some questions.

1. Is a underbody treatment required for a not-so-humid place like Bangalore?
2. Would it be better to go for a 3M treatment instead?
3. Good 3M dealer in Bangalore?
During my first service even I was asked if I would go for under body coat, quoting the same money. I wasn't really sure if its required and I read some where Factory coating is already done on Punto. Not sure thou. I didn't go for it.

Dont know if in Bangalore weather its of much use or not .Yes having it will not do any harm I guess, except your pockets get lighter by 2.3k.
But it seems after having it, it reduces noise further in the cabin as it insulates some amount of tyre noise.
Experts can give their valuable comments.
Old 3rd March 2010, 22:08   #1544

Underbody Treatment

Thanks for your reply!

I also read that the underbody treatment reduces engine noise. Experts please comment on the same. Would it be a considerable difference?

Would the 3M treatment give me the same benefit - anti-rust plus the noise reduction? Would that be preferred?
Old 5th March 2010, 21:46   #1545
BHPian

Guys , today I went with my friend for Linea test drive. There is a visible change in the approach of the showroom people. Yesterday when we went to Concorde dairy circle , we had been immediately attended by a sales person. He may not be knowledgeable but very cordial. He took our contact and today came with the test drive car to my friends home. Without any hesitation he agreed for a long test drive ( 30+ kms ). We went to NICE road . It was an awesome experience. I can't explain the ride and braking ability. Simply speechless. Can't comment on handling as I was in the passenger seat.

The reason for this post now.

The sales person confirmed about the availability of FTA in Punto within another 3 days. But it will be 5-6K dearer( for the colour ) but he didn't have any information on another red shade as mentioned earlier. Also he confirmed the launch of 1.2 dynamic and Emotion as describing two new Punto models. At first I thought one of them would be Sport! but soon got sad after hearing 1.2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks