Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 18:08   #1726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My Jeep once passed a Ferrari. Obviously, neither this Ferrari nor the X-Trail from your post had the throttle buried into the floor. What's the point? The fact is, the Swift VDi / Getz CRDi / X-Trail are decidedly (the last two, SUBSTANTIALLY) faster than the Punto MJD.

Saying that you overtook cars that are so obviously faster, when they weren't being driven the same way that you were driving the Punto, is really a pointless exercise. All things equal (including driver + driving style), the Swift VDi / Getz CRDi / Xtrail that you overtook would leave the Punto for dead.
But GTO, driving through busy NH47 with just two lanes in Kerala is a different ball game altogether. Here, the sheet power of a car really doesn't matter to be the fastest one. Driving skills (read overtaking skills) and handling of the car also does matter. That was the point I wanted to bring out. No intention to boast about Punto's power or acceleration. The other cars can easily smoke Punto in a straight track.

Those drivers were driving in spirited manner, still I could manage to pass them.
Old 19th April 2010, 22:13   #1727
BHPian

This drive to kerala made me understand why people are kinda of unhappy about the forward positioned clutch and break pedal.
One thing that was kinda of frustrating in kerala, there are a few drivers who make impossible passes in the 2 lanes roads only because the guy who they are overtaking takes their foot of the gas and the oncoming traffic does the same to avoid a head on collision. I wish there was a way to let them know that they survived only because 2 other drivers didn't have a deathwish. I don't even want to start about those nasty private buses. On the whole i have not serious complains about the Punto.
Old 19th April 2010, 22:33   #1728
BHPian

@ clevermax,we should invite GTO to be guest of honour to sit alongside a KSRTC bus driver to get a taste of spicy mallu drivers!
Old 20th April 2010, 04:03   #1729
Senior - BHPian

@clevermax
I agree with you. A car is only as good as its driver.
Old 20th April 2010, 10:34   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yesterday I was driving alone from Cochin to Kollam in my Punto MJD and guess what, no vehicle overtook me during the entire drive. I was not racing with anyone, was just trying to maintain a good average speed. I made it a point to slow down and let go anyone who starts a race - luckily no one did that.

I could easily pass spirited drivers in Ford Ikon TCDi, Fiesta TCDi, Getz Crdi, Few VDis, and at the end, even a Nissan Xtrail.

Man!! This really has to be THE funniest post on this thread!
Dude, time for a reality check. Any of those cars, driven by a guy who has just average skills, will leave the punto for dead, without even trying too hard. A few of my friends have puntos, and we've done all sorts of trials with them. The reality is, it can't even catch up with a swift D, let alone the waay more powerful list you've put down.

Quote:
The point is, Punto MJD engine with this small turbo is all you need for a good drive through Kerala roads - given Punto's excellent handling and high speed stability. I am sure won't be feeling confident enough to do this in a powerful car with inferior handling.
Such statements appear only on punto threads. I think its a way in which you guys are trying to get over the fact that its an underpowered car. Accept the fact and appreciate whats good in the car, instead of coming up with all sorts of funny excuses to portray that the car is powerful. Its not!

Quote:
My Jeep once passed a Ferrari. Obviously, neither this Ferrari nor the X-Trail from your post had the throttle buried into the floor. What's the point? The fact is, the Swift VDi / Getz CRDi / X-Trail are decidedly (the last two, SUBSTANTIALLY) faster than the Punto MJD.

Saying that you overtook cars that are so obviously faster, when they weren't being driven the same way that you were driving the Punto, is really a pointless exercise. All things equal (including driver + driving style), the Swift VDi / Getz CRDi / Xtrail that you overtook would leave the Punto for dead.

. Perfectly said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
I think what he had intended to say was that he was able to maintain a constant speed through curves and zig-zags where other vehicles had to slow down due to their not-so-good handling which inturn allowed him to overtake them. And I do second that, in highways which has a lot of corners, Punto definitely holds an edge.

Oh come on! The punto may be a good handler, but it ain't no Ferrari or Porsche. And do you mean to say that all other cars are terrible in the handling dept? So you are basically saying that, zig zagging on other cars are downright dangerous, as they may tip over, whereas, the punto will hold its line perfectly.

Quote:
But GTO, driving through busy NH47 with just two lanes in Kerala is a different ball game altogether. Here, the sheet power of a car really doesn't matter to be the fastest one. Driving skills (read overtaking skills) and handling of the car also does matter. That was the point I wanted to bring out. No intention to boast about Punto's power or acceleration. The other cars can easily smoke Punto in a straight track.

Those drivers were driving in spirited manner, still I could manage to pass them.
Kerala highways are certainly no racing track. I really dont think the 'superior handling' of the punto will give you any advantage over any car on the highways, on the other hand, i'm sure it will not keep up with anything above a swift D on our roads.

On the hairpins, the handling advantage will be evident, but thanks to the weedy engine, it will still lose the race!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
@ clevermax,we should invite GTO to be guest of honour to sit alongside a KSRTC bus driver to get a taste of spicy mallu drivers!
What does this have to do with the punto? Bus drivers are retarded, all over the country.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2010 at 18:25. Reason: Removing the "dull line. Lets not start flame wars here
Old 20th April 2010, 12:04   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Man!! This really has to be THE funniest post on this thread!
Dude, time for a reality check. Any of those cars, driven by a guy who has just average skills, will leave the punto for dead, without even trying too hard. A few of my friends have puntos, and we've done all sorts of trials with them. The reality is, it can't even catch up with a swift D, let alone the waay more powerful list you've put down.
JayD, there's nothing funny in it. I agree that all those cars in a straight road without traffic, with average or good drivers can easily smoke Punto.

But...., A spirited driver with only average driving skill in a Swift D/Getz CRDi/Ikon TCDi will have to sweat a lot to beat a Punto with a skilled driver in traffic intensive narrow lane highways. May be it is not possible too.

NOTE: In the above statement, you can replace Punto with M800, old Indica or any of those underpowered cars and still it will hold true, given it is a crowded Kerala highway. It is NOT that I am trying to get over the lack of power of Punto. Please understand.

I have seen for myself M800s with spirited / crazy / highly skilled drivers overtake those powerful cars with spirited drivers in Kerala roads. In Punto, it is probably easier than an 800. Again, hope you will try to understand the point - The power of a car alone doesn't really matter in these kind of traffic.

Quote:
Oh come on! The punto may be a good handler, but it ain't no Ferrari or Porsche. And do you mean to say that all other cars are terrible in the handling dept? So you are basically saying that, zig zagging on other cars are downright dangerous, as they may tip over, whereas, the punto will hold its line perfectly.
Not 'may be', it 'is'.
Didn't get the point of Punto being 'dull' except that MJD being slightly underpowered.

And in my case, it is proved beyond doubt that I am a better driver than those driving those powerful cars. he he

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2010 at 18:26. Reason: Editing quoted post in your reply as a volatile comment has been removed
Old 20th April 2010, 12:15   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh come on! The punto may be a good handler, but it ain't no Ferrari or Porsche.
Keeping in mind your prejudice against the F brand I would like to remind you that the same hatchback is the pick of the segment according to GTO in the hatchback segment.

Quote:
On the hairpins, the handling advantage will be evident, but thanks to the weedy engine, it will still lose the race.
Why are the non-owners always crying hoarse when it comes to the Punto???

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2010 at 18:26. Reason: Editing quoted post in your reply as a volatile comment has been removed
Old 20th April 2010, 12:19   #1733
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Driving skills (read overtaking skills) and handling of the car also does matter.
Absolutely agreed on the first part, it is indeed your driving skills and ALSO the way that you were driving (the other drivers probably didn't want to push as hard).

Which brings me back to my point : The same driver (i.e. you) with the same driving style (i.e. yours) would be much quicker in an X-Trail, Swift VDi or Getz CRDi, compared to the Punto. Bottom line is : Each of these cars are substantially quicker than the Punto.

Quote:
The other cars can easily smoke Punto in a straight track.
Actually, they would smoke the Punto even on a curvy Indian highway. Lets get one thing straight : Whatever disadvantage the Getz CRDi may have in handling, it more than makes up with its absolutely stonking performance (we are talking a 6 - 7 second quicker 0 - 100 time). And the Swift VDi - especially with better aftermarket rubber - remains a superior handler to the Punto (not straight line stability, I'm talking of corner carving) up say, a Lonavla ghat section. As a hatch, it is way more agile, along with the Figo (which is also a better handler than the Punto). The X-Trail? Lets not even go down that alley.

I also reiterate that its impossible for anyone of us to exploit a cars 15% (as an example) handling advantage, on public roads. Fact is, neither are we professional race car drivers (read = Neither I nor you are capable of using even 90% of any cars available grip), nor do public roads offer the opportunity. Sure, bring in Narain, Karun Chandok or Gaurav Dalal at the Chennai race track, then its a different picture.

The point of my previous post was : I totally miss the logic in posting how my slower car overtook an obviously quicker car on public roads. The fact is, either they weren't good enough drivers (relative to you) or simply weren't interested in driving the way that you are. If they were driven the same way that your Punto was, you would be a mere speck in their rear view mirror. Couple of weekends back, a Scorpio overtook me on the Igatpuri ghat section. I certainly hope he's not bragging about his superior power delivery or handling capability vis a vis the car that I was driving. Fact is, I wasn't willing to take the risks that he was taking, or overtake as aggressively as he was.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:38   #1734
BHPian

I'm not sure from how it has been concluded that Punto has "above average handling" and "mediocre everything else", and I'm keen to know which other cars were compared with Punto to arrive at these conclusions. Yes, the Punto'e engine is not the quickest but just this doesn't add to the tag "mediocre everything else". Mocking at a car without proper facts appears foolish to me.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2010 at 18:27. Reason: Editing quoted post in your reply as a volatile comment has been removed
Old 20th April 2010, 13:33   #1735
Senior - BHPian

I have owned a Linea for more than a year now and 11k kms on it and all i can say is that with ACC on the car does feels a tad underpowered at lower revvs.

I have driven my friends MJD Punto and it indeed feels slower than say a Swift VDI, maybe because of the added weight of Punto or FIAT engineers couldnt tweak it that way.

Now coming to cars passing me around, my Linea also easily does 150-160, it may take a lil more time than other cars

When am crusing on 110-120 and a Santro xing whizzes by i just dont stomp on the accelerator because its hurting my prestige that how could a Santro defeat me. When am in mood i do revv the car to redline and reach 150-160 and pass many other expensive cars but that doesnt mean they cant defeat me.

On twisty section, Linea or a Punto may give a run for their money to other cars in same segment with good braking too but if a Verna were to come behind, it would smoke me on a straightline for sure.

I have personally never raced with any other car on highways nor i prefer too, just enjoy cruising at 130-150 and thats enough for me.

I dont think he meant that he can defeat cars like X Trail etc with just handling power of his Punto, maybe that was misunderstood.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:42   #1736
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Such statements appear only on punto threads.

Oh come on! The punto may be a good handler, but it ain't no Ferrari or Porsche. [/b]
I admit Punto is slower than its competition but it does not mean its a dull hatchback. Punto has one of the best Handling, steering, Ride, high speed stability, solid and rattle free build in the segment.

Its korean competition's only saving grace is powerful diesel and 4 additional airbags(That too not available anymore in Diesel version).

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2010 at 18:27. Reason: Editing quoted post in your reply as a volatile comment has been removed
Old 20th April 2010, 14:48   #1737
GTO
Team-BHP Support

+1 to that. No ways is the Punto dull, I thoroughly enjoyed stretching her legs on the Gurgaon highway. That meaty steering and high speed stability are the benchmark amongst hatchbacks. If only Fiat brings the 90 BHP variant soon enough, and also tunes it perfectly (always felt that the Swift has a better tuned 1.3 MJD).
Old 20th April 2010, 14:56   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As a hatch, it is way more agile, along with the Figo (which is also a better handler than the Punto). The X-Trail? Lets not even go down that alley.
I humbly disgree with you here. Figo is not a better handler than Punto. Apart from slightly heavy controls the Punto is wayyy better compared to the Figo and corners almost flat.
Old 20th April 2010, 15:00   #1739
BHPian

Fix to Slugishness?

I read that by fitting a Pete's tuning box to a MJD Punto, we can increase the output of the engine to 90HP (from 75HP). Will this (and maybe along with a K&N Filter) help git rid of the punto's sluggishness?

SOURCE
Old 20th April 2010, 15:01   #1740
BHPian

So much activity in the thread?? I suddenly thought there was some info on the 'Sport'

Well any idea on the lunch?? Scoops?? There must be something!!
Can't wait!

Most Viewed