Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 17:32   #4246
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Guys, is it advisable to take the car for a 2,000km trip immediately after taking delivery?
Old 8th February 2012, 17:41   #4247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys, is it advisable to take the car for a 2,000km trip immediately after taking delivery?
I wont do that, since you will be driving long distances continuously without frequent breaks.

However, if you can avoid revving the engine too much & periodically altering the speeds, then you can try.

That said, FIAT says that the national engine does not require any run-in.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 17:44   #4248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_fanatico View Post
Get the best insurance policy available in the market With all the available value added packs, which can take care of breakage, loss of valuables, etc., due to theft
good choice . let us see where it goes .

Quote:
IMO , there should not be a worry. just be careful wrt to run in. i took mine on delivery date straight out of showroom from hot deserts of rajasthan to Hills of himachal and all along dad drove it ( some 700 Km;s ) he did has few issues in initial 20-40 km's but than he settled with the feel. it;s a different matter that previously he was driving jongas / shaktimaans in army and he start gunning the accelerator out of habit same way with punto. Do check the tyre pressure on delivery . I run my first 100 km;s with 42 PSI on all four tyres.
.sushilkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 18:45   #4249
J.Ravi

Quote:
There is no bar in taking a brand new Punto for a 2 k km trip immediately after taking delivery. Just follow the instructions given in the owner's handbook.
  (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 18:52   #4250
BHPian

Guys got a call from Concorde Motors, ECR yesterday stating that they have some replacement for the power steering. I am not sure if this is a recall or whether it applies to my car alone. A month or two back they replaced the rear axle rod and now this. The lady who called me to inform did not have much information on what part it exactly was. Also what is the difference between the power steering of the 2012 version and others? The turning radius that is shortened to 5m really interests me. IMO Fiat should offer an upgrade for that as well. Would put an end to those 3 point u turns.
Old 8th February 2012, 19:35   #4251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure - No problems - I did a 400 km trip on delivery - Maintained 90-120 throughout and got a FE of 19.xx odd..

Go ahead and enjoy the drive - Technology has advanced and so have the roads!!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 20:13   #4252
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Guys got a call from Concorde Motors, ECR yesterday stating that they have some replacement for the power steering. I am not sure if this is a recall or whether it applies to my car alone. A month or two back they replaced the rear axle rod and now this. The lady who called me to inform did not have much information on what part it exactly was. Also what is the difference between the power steering of the 2012 version and others? ..
My friend who owns a Linea had replaced his steering under warranty owing to some creaking noise while turning it. Initially they had replaced one, but the noise came back. Recently it was replaced again free of cost and they said there was some design changes in some parts. Guess Punto & Linea share the same steering set up and thought of putting it here.

And yeah, it was NOT a recall, but rather based on customer complaint!
Old 8th February 2012, 20:54   #4253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
My friend who owns a Linea had replaced his steering under warranty owing to some creaking noise while turning it. Initially they had replaced one, but the noise came back. Recently it was replaced again free of cost and they said there was some design changes in some parts. Guess Punto & Linea share the same steering set up and thought of putting it here.

And yeah, it was NOT a recall, but rather based on customer complaint!
Thanks for the info on that. But yeah I never really complained about the steering before. But will go ahead and see what it is anyway.

Cheers,
Kaushik
Old 8th February 2012, 23:41   #4254
BHPian

Quote:
Make sure you double check all things before taking it for a long drive. Even small issues could make it a pain. My friend's battery died in the first couple of days and he experienced a steering rattle too that got fixed eventually. Hope you do some test run locally before taking it for a long trip. I did my first long trip ( 500 km) from 100kms or so. The only problem I faced was to keep the revs under limit since it's a highway...
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 16:14   #4255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666
Guys got a call from Concorde Motors, ECR yesterday stating that they have some replacement for the power steering. I am not sure if this is a recall or whether it applies to my car alone. A month or two back they replaced the rear axle rod and now this. The lady who called me to inform did not have much information on what part it exactly was. Also what is the difference between the power steering of the 2012 version and others? The turning radius that is shortened to 5m really interests me. IMO Fiat should offer an upgrade for that as well. Would put an end to those 3 point u turns.
This is a recall, even my April 2011 Punto had the power steering hose changed last month. Some cars manufacture during early 2011 had power steering failures due to rupturing of the hose, so as a precautionary measure Fiat is changing the hose for some batches of cars.
Old 9th February 2012, 18:08   #4256
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for your help guys, it was indeed the wheel bearings. The rear LHS wheel bearing had gone kaput & hence the noise (stated in my post # 4221).

Good thing is that the A.S.S. did not make any issue of the aftermarket alloys & wholeheartedly accepted that it can be a manufacturing defect.

Bad thing is that the wheel bearing is not in stock as it is a slow moving item and according to the SA, will be available in a week's time.

Best part was the bill = Rs. 0/-. I had a few rattling noises as well... in the bill, they have mentioned "heater coil pipe fixed properly". No labour charge at all.

I find the staff at Fortune to be very courteous. As usual, I got a call from Fortune stating that my car is ready for delivery. When I reached there, I was handed over the gate pass almost immediately. I was waiting for the car to come out of the bay but because there were some 2-3 other cars lined up in front, my car could not come out. After some 5 minutes, the person driving my car came out furiously & blasted the drivers in front of my car that "cant you'll see that the customer here is waiting for so long? Move your cars fast". Dont know, really liked that gesture from him... maybe dint expect such treatment when I bought a FIAT.
raj_5004 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 21:25   #4257
BHPian

Guys, got my Punto delivered today. Have given my baby, alloys and Yoko C-drives, already could sense the comfort of the Yokos.

Will be shooting off to West coast in some time.

Punto' legendary ride and handling, the Yoko C-drives' comfort and grip, the night, the moon, Illayaraja Sir & A.R.Rahman's music, and the thought of meeting my girl...
What more I can ask for!!
It's gonna be magical....

Last edited by CliffHanger : 9th February 2012 at 21:51.
CliffHanger is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 21:43   #4258
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, got my Punto delivered today. Have given my baby, alloys and Yoko C-drives, already could sense the comfort of the Yokos.

Punto' legendary ride and handling, the Yoko C-drives' comfort and grip, the night, the moon, Illayaraja Sir & A.R.Rahman's music..What more I can ask for!!
Congratulation Buddy..!! for the Most Beautiful looking Hatch in the Country Today IMO.

Which color did you go for ? And, dont tease us with the above posts Start an Ownership thread.
If i am not wrong, Yours will be the First Ownership thread, for FIAT Grande Punto-2012.

Best of luck.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 22:37   #4259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Punto' legendary ride and handling, the Yoko C-drives' comfort and grip, the night, the moon, Illayaraja Sir & A.R.Rahman's music, and the thought of meeting my girl...
What more I can ask for!!
Dayummm! And here I was thinking mine would be the first 2012 Punto here.
Nonetheless, heartiest congrats to you and hope you have a great ride, not just this one but even the ones in the future.

I am assuming you've taken delivery of either Active or Dynamic version as I see you've bought alloys. Mine would be Emotion and like you am gonna upgrade to C-drives.

Do start up a thread soon, eagerly waiting for it.

Cheers
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 22:48   #4260
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 13th February 2012 at 12:37.
KINI is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks