Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2014, 15:43   #6451
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
I too have one but I am not satisfied by clarity of sound(being a true music lover). There is a lot of disturbance in crowded areas(owing to frequency overlapping). It cannot be compared with the clarity of a pen drive.
Thank you for your honest feedback.
I'm done a experiment on the HU (Delphi) cable connections and able to create a AUX input without affecting the Blue & me. Quality of the sound is also excellent
Only one problem in this method, I need to play a silent track in the USB when the AUX input is connected. I will share the detailed report in the coming days.
mnvvishwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 21:34   #6452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvvishwa View Post
Thank you for your honest feedback.
Only one problem in this method, I need to play a silent track in the USB when the AUX input is connected. I will share the detailed report in the coming days.
You mean that you have to play a blank audio file in the pen drive? That's again quite cumbersome, but if sound quality is good one can go for it. Please share the detailed installation procedure. By the way was it a DIY?
Old 2nd December 2014, 13:37   #6453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkesh View Post
You mean that you have to play a blank audio file in the pen drive? That's again quite cumbersome, but if sound quality is good one can go for it. Please share the detailed installation procedure. By the way was it a DIY?
Create a few Blank tracks using any audio editing software's like Audacity. Copy those files to your pen drive in a separate folder and choose that folder in the MID to play. By the way sound quality is awesome
Yes, It's a DIY and still working on few things, details will be shared in the coming days.
Old 11th December 2014, 13:22   #6454
BHPian

My punto's gear shaft mechanism suddenly became free-moving (i.e. not able to change gears). From internet, I read that the cable might have got snapped.

It is 5-year old (Nov 2009), has run 62000 kms until now. Except for problematic front suspension at around 27k kms, I didn't have any major problem until this one. (OK - one more: I got a glow-plug warning about 2 weeks back and got it replaced.)

Before I call the fiat service center, I wanted to know if I should take help from local mechanic - to help it fix temporarily (if at all if it is possible). Basically I don't want it to be towed to service centre at additional cost.
Old 17th December 2014, 20:55   #6455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by privin View Post
My punto's gear shaft mechanism suddenly became free-moving (i.e. not able to change gears). From internet, I read that the cable might have got snapped.

It is 5-year old (Nov 2009), has run 62000 kms until now. Except for problematic front suspension at around 27k kms, I didn't have any major problem until this one. (OK - one more: I got a glow-plug warning about 2 weeks back and got it replaced.)

Before I call the fiat service center, I wanted to know if I should take help from local mechanic - to help it fix temporarily (if at all if it is possible). Basically I don't want it to be towed to service centre at additional cost.
I replaced both cables, and costing Rs. 1800/- each. Pandit Bavdhan were courteous and sold these parts directly. Local shop replaced them at about Rs. 550/- labour cost. (The second cable was still intact, but the mechanic told that it is likely to break anytime, so better to replace.)

But I am unable to understand how such a strong cable got cut; it got cut at the engine side.
privin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 21:14   #6456
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have two problems on my Punto which have cropped up recently.
1. A grinding noise from front. As if something is rubbing when the wheels are moving.

2. During cold starts in the morning first couple of minutes tak tak sound from left side while taking turns. As I start off from my parking, I need to turn left and then again left. Both the times there is this tak tak noise that comes. After tje second left, I take a right, by this time mostly the noise is gone. All this in the first 1 minute or so. There after no issues except for the grinding noise mentioned in the first point.

What can the reasons be? I intend to take the car to the service center, but want to have an idea of what to look for. Hence this query.
Old 17th December 2014, 23:27   #6457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
2. During cold starts in the morning first couple of minutes tak tak sound from left side while taking turns. As I start off from my parking, I need to turn left and then again left. Both the times there is this tak tak noise that comes. After tje second left, I take a right, by this time mostly the noise is gone. All this in the first 1 minute or so. There after no issues except for the grinding noise mentioned in the first point.
How old is your car? I had similar issue - usually on slow turns at almost full lock - which turned out to be due to the elastic pads. Sometimes, I also had rattle/noise from the front suspension. The noises went away after elastic pad replacement. In my car, the issue started just after I completed 2 years of ownership.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 08:44   #6458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
How old is your car? I had similar issue - usually on slow turns at almost full lock - which turned out to be due to the elastic pads. Sometimes, I also had rattle/noise from the front suspension. The noises went away after elastic pad replacement. In my car, the issue started just after I completed 2 years of ownership.
Hi StarrySky

Its done 21k in 14 months. I have already got the elastic pads replaced once. But this noise is there only early in the morning when I cold start her after a nights halt. Afterwards there is no noise whatsoever.
Old 19th December 2014, 09:09   #6459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Guys I have two problems on my Punto which have cropped up recently.
1. A grinding noise from front. As if something is rubbing when the wheels are moving.

What can the reasons be? I intend to take the car to the service center, but want to have an idea of what to look for. Hence this query.
1)-brake pads worn out

2)-shock absorber mount needs replacement. Mine already replaced thrice, its a known issue in puntos.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2014, 15:26   #6460
BHPian

Dear Bhpians

I have given my Fiat Punto 90hp for its 15k service at Vecto Fiat blr. I had a big list of complaints and now I believe they are trying to fix. Total cost estimate came to 6.3k, which i think is huge, it has a wheel alignment, rotation & balancing cost of 900.

Below are the list of complaints with the vehicle.
1. Steering pulls right and aches my shoulder, even after it is aligned from tyre umpire whitefield. They said vehicle has a wrong front axle caster reading and only service center can fix it. They suspected a lower arm bend which I am unsure.
2. Small rattle from left side of dashboard.
3. Max mileage attained is 14kmpl, that too on long drives.
4. Wipers not throwing water properly.
5. Brake felt rubbery I have touched a biker recently in back to bacl traffic.
6. Back drum bakes produce a sound when I depress the brake and some one gets down from the car.
7. Ac smells awful at times when air vent is not in recirculation.
8. Tumble noise from rear suspension at times while driving slowly on down slope rough patches.
9. Krrr.. Sound from front wheels when I turn & brake at slow speeds, this can be felt in brake pedal too.
10. Small rust formation in the gap of rear wind screen and boot metal.

Having said about the problems above, it is a great awesome car to drive and own. I have expected this big complaint list as it has an yearly service. It has taken a beating during this year, I have driven to Vijayawada thrice this year from blr & many drives to Ooty and Mysore, Adding to that the b2b traffic of kr. Puram to whitefield has taken the life out of me and the car.

I request fellow punto owners to have a look at the list and let me know if you have faced these issues.

-Sai
Old 22nd December 2014, 20:17   #6461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
Dear Bhpians

I have given my Fiat Punto 90hp for its 15k service at Vecto Fiat blr. I had a big list of complaints and now I believe they are trying to fix. Total cost estimate came to 6.3k, which i think is huge, it has a wheel alignment, rotation & balancing cost of 900.

Below are the list of complaints with the vehicle.
1. Steering pulls right and aches my shoulder, even after it is aligned from tyre umpire whitefield. They said vehicle has a wrong front axle caster reading and only service center can fix it. They suspected a lower arm bend which I am unsure.
2. Small rattle from left side of dashboard.
3. Max mileage attained is 14kmpl, that too on long drives.
4. Wipers not throwing water properly.
5. Brake felt rubbery I have touched a biker recently in back to bacl traffic.
6. Back drum bakes produce a sound when I depress the brake and some one gets down from the car.
7. Ac smells awful at times when air vent is not in recirculation.
8. Tumble noise from rear suspension at times while driving slowly on down slope rough patches.
9. Krrr.. Sound from front wheels when I turn & brake at slow speeds, this can be felt in brake pedal too.

10. Small rust formation in the gap of rear wind screen and boot metal.

Having said about the problems above, it is a great awesome car to drive and own. I have expected this big complaint list as it has an yearly service. It has taken a beating during this year, I have driven to Vijayawada thrice this year from blr & many drives to Ooty and Mysore, Adding to that the b2b traffic of kr. Puram to whitefield has taken the life out of me and the car.

I request fellow punto owners to have a look at the list and let me know if you have faced these issues.

-Sai
I got a call from Mr. Dayanand, he said, the boot has to be repainted for this and he is awaiting for a reply from FIAT, after the approval it would take 2 days to deliver the car as it is a big process.
Old 1st January 2015, 15:12   #6462
BHPian

Is it advisable to fit a 45 mAH battery (Amaron) in my 2011 Punto Active MJD. The thing is that my daily running is about 4 kms one-way and don't think the 50 mAH battery gets a chance to get fully charged up. Though my current factory fitted Exide battery has lasted almost 4 years (in March 2015). The price differrence between a 45 mAH & 50 mAH is considerable. Please advise.
Old 1st January 2015, 17:40   #6463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
Is it advisable to fit a 45 mAH battery (Amaron) in my 2011 Punto Active MJD. The thing is that my daily running is about 4 kms one-way and don't think the 50 mAH battery gets a chance to get fully charged up. Though my current factory fitted Exide battery has lasted almost 4 years (in March 2015). The price differrence between a 45 mAH & 50 mAH is considerable. Please advise.
Err.. I guess it is 45 AH and not 45 mAH. The cell phone batteries are measured in mAH
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 18:56   #6464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007 View Post
I don't think the manual recommends anything less than 50 AH, so you might want to check with your FASS.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 08:45   #6465
Senior - BHPian

Thought of sharing this with a wider Punto owner base.

I had the alignment/balancing to be done for my Punto. Usually I get it done from outside, but after reading a few reports of new alignment values available for Punto Evo, decided to try it out at Balaji Fiat Thane and accordingly booked the time for 24th of this month. I had decided to get only the alignment done. The car was taken and job done in 30 mins flat. When I checked the report, found that the Front Caster reading were still way out. The initial & final readings for the Front Left Caster were 1°58’ whereas the range was between 2°20' and 3°20' and Front Right Caster were 1°46’ whereas the range was between 2°20' and 3°20'. The only things that were adjusted was the Toes - Front right & left and Rear right and left. The front & rear Camber readings were again within limits hence not adjusted. As per the technician and Fiat SA doing the alignment, the front caster cannot be adjusted during the wheel alignment. Any adjustment would have to be done after dropping the suspension setup, hence not done during the usual Wheel alignment but could be done during the 15K interval checks if there is a reported pulling towards left/right issue. Is this correct? Paying Rs 500/- for only toe adjustment is IMO way too high.

Anyone encountered this? Should this front Caster readings outside alignment limits be brought to Fiat's notice? I checked up the last alignment report and found the limit values to be same as Fiat's. But even that time the front caster readings weren't adjusted. So is this a factory adjustment issue? Before going to the alignment I had spoken with Mangesh Kodalkar regarding the new set of alignment readings but he confirmed thats not the case. There are two sets of alignment values but one for the pre 2012 i.e without GC increased and one for post 2012 i.e with increased GC.

I will post the Alignment report once I get it scanned.

Most Viewed