Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2016, 01:16   #6766
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
I own a 2011 model 1.3 JTD Gen 1 Punto clocked almost 41500KM. 6500km back i switched to Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, Though the drive is smooth with additive and oil booster, i see a reduction in stick level, in 6 months the stick is showing only half the level, i filled the sump maintaining max level in stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
Check the oil evaporator hoses and the turbo plumbing hoses. Turbo to intercooler and intercooler to intake set of hoses. MJD's don't like the slick synthetics for some reason. You may need a ramp/lift to observe. Wheel alignment infrastructure is the easiest place

Next stop - Open your intercooler and check the condensed vapors.

Hope it helps.
Actually, I have the same err problem?

Second free service was done @10k and the oil was changed and fresh one poured to the max mark on the stick.

8k kms and 4 months later, I see that the level has come down to 3/4th or a bit lower than that just above half mark . No smoke. No leaks. Nothing wrong with the car. Mileage healthy and drive smooth.

I thought it's normal. Is this a problem I need to adress?
Old 6th November 2016, 10:30   #6767
BHPian

Quote:
I own a 2011 model 1.3 JTD Gen 1 Punto clocked almost 41500KM. 6500km back i switched to Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, Though the drive is smooth with additive and oil booster, i see a reduction in stick level, in 6 months the stick is showing only half the level, i filled the sump maintaining max level in stick.

I dont see a black/white smoke funny smell during cold starts/

i dont see any oil slick in my basement

i dont see turbo leaking oil

Coolant is still bright pink, no leak from oil cooler what so ever.

i have no pick up issues, drives well

i am getting a decent mileage 18 kmpl

Where do i start about to diagnose for the missing oil, if its not getting into the combustion chamber ? How come so much oil be lost in 6k km ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Actually, I have the same err problem?

In both the cases (yours and sriramr9's), there shouldn't be a problem. Since your engine is new, 100ml of oil per 1000 KMS is a normal consumption until 10-15k kms - until the engines beds in. You shouldn't see that problem over the next 15k kms. The range of the dipstick represents 1 liter of oil. So you lost about 750-800ml over 8k kms.

In the sriramr9's case, the engine is older. And he's made a switch to fully synthetic oil - lesser viscosity. It can escape as fumed spray from turbo to the intercooler, more than semi-synth. The hoses become hard and brittle over time and their mouths/ends lose their air tightness. What starts off as a soft rubber pipe becomes something like a PVC pipe by the end of it's lifetime. Those spots I suggested for him are generally not immediately visible. It could be that his engine is also bedding in with the new type of oil. The limits are fine in his case too.
carrerastrax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2016, 19:26   #6768
BHPian

Quote:
Check the oil evaporator hoses and the turbo plumbing hoses. Turbo to intercooler and intercooler to intake set of hoses. MJD's don't like the slick synthetics for some reason. You may need a ramp/lift to observe. Wheel alignment infrastructure is the easiest place

Next stop - Open your intercooler and check the condensed vapors.

Hope it helps.
Sure Carreastrax, That is exactly where I had been thinking to check for the lost oil, will put the car in scissor lift/ramp and get it inspected and post the pictures here, thanks for your insight and near accurate diagnosis.
Old 15th November 2016, 00:39   #6769
BHPian

Hello all. I booked the 75hp Punto Pure today after a big heart versus mind battle which the heart won. Am planning to read everything on this Grande Punto thread here as there are no reviews out for the Punto Pure and I guess the Pure is nothing more than a rebadged Grande Punto minus a lot of equipment
rahul4321 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 12:52   #6770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
Hello all. I booked the 75hp Punto Pure today after a big heart versus mind battle which the heart won.
Congrats !!! Though your booking is a quite old model 2005 to be honest, it is a well engineered model, nice shape, fuel efficient engines that are reliable, chassis derived from FIAT GM collaboration, Hydraulic power assisted steering, higher overall kerb weight, these things are not given priority nowadays as market is moving towards more simpler designs, thinner and lighter body frames, city centric steering controls, fancy features etc

Post some pictures if you get time and also share us the buying experience..
sriramr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 13:24   #6771
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all. I booked the 75hp Punto Pure today after a big heart versus mind battle which the heart won
Am planning to read everything on this Grande Punto thread here as there are no reviews out for the Punto Pure and I guess the Pure is nothing more than a rebadged Grande Punto minus a lot of equipment
Congratulations!! If its a Fiat its got be from the heart.

Wishing you a happy and trouble free ownership

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 17th November 2016 at 13:36.
Karthik Chandra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 14:03   #6772
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all. I booked the 75hp Punto Pure today
Hi Rahul, May i know the OTR and offers if you squeezed any? I'm in the process of finalizing the deal on punto evo. I liked the pure variant as well which is parked in FIAT caffe with abarth alloys. I hope the abarth alloys only for petrol version.
Old 17th November 2016, 14:37   #6773
h14
BHPian

Quote:

I dont see a black/white smoke funny smell during cold starts/
i dont see any oil slick in my basement
i dont see turbo leaking oil
Coolant is still bright pink, no leak from oil cooler what so ever.
i have no pick up issues, drives well
i am getting a decent mileage 18 kmpl

Where do i start about to diagnose for the missing oil, if its not getting into the combustion chamber ? How come so much oil be lost in 6k km ?
Finally, I've found someone with similar behaviour as in my Linea. Not sure if you saw my thread, but let's continue the discussions on this topic in there. I have just changed the PCV valve and post 3k kms I should be able to say whether that was the culprit or not.

Further details are in here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post4066425
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 14:52   #6774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPMV View Post
Hi Rahul, May i know the OTR and offers if you squeezed any? I'm in the process of finalizing the deal on punto evo. I liked the pure variant as well which is parked in FIAT caffe with abarth alloys. I hope the abarth alloys only for petrol version.
Hi EPMV, sending you a Private Message

Regards,
Rahul
Old 17th November 2016, 17:14   #6775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
This is not usual at all for a Fiat. I owned a TJet+ for 4 years and not even once did I have to top up. The most obvious reason that comes to mind is faulty mounting of the oil filter. The placement of the filter in the petrol engines is a little difficult to reach and at times the filter is not screwed in properly. That will not let it seal against the sump and will allow some oil to seep out which manifests itself as the engine check light once the level goes below the set threshold.

Suggest that you have the service centre lift the car on the lift and have them check and if required reinstall the filter precisely. In the Jet the engine guard plate had to be removed and the mechanics were loathe to approach it, seems to be the case here too.
You were right. They didn't want to remove the engine guard. Shoddy work. They replaced the filter, topped up the fuel. Didn't charge me.
Old 18th November 2016, 18:49   #6776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
Finally, I've found someone with similar behavior as in my Linea.
I am looking into your thread only now,it will take some time for me to go over and digest the content as it s quite exhaustive, anyways wanted to ask if you replaced the Valve as it turned faulty, or was it preventive measure.

What oil do you use ? as mentioned earlier i use the Full Synth Shell Helix 5 40 with E30 Oil Booster and Abro Additive.

I topped up now again and am observing, shall post feedback on the stick levels in your thread.
Old 19th November 2016, 18:13   #6777
h14
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking into your thread only now,it will take some time for me to go over and digest the content as it s quite exhaustive, anyways wanted to ask if you replaced the Valve as it turned faulty, or was it preventive measure.

What oil do you use ? as mentioned earlier i use the Full Synth Shell Helix 5 40 with E30 Oil Booster and Abro Additive.

I topped up now again and am observing, shall post feedback on the stick levels in your thread.
Changed the pcv as it was a suspicion for the issue. I had the issue on all oils, be it Mobil Delvac1 or Petronas Selena.

Now running on Petronas Syntium.
h14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 10:07   #6778
BHPian

Quote:

Nothing complicated here. It's the oil separator component and it's related plumbing. The vapors are fed back into the crankshaft area, the liquid goes back to the engine. I think I wrote this as oil evaporator.. my bad. But yeah, as even h14 pointed out, this seems to be a common problem of age for a multi jet engine. I had the same problem as well.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 19:42   #6779
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing complicated here. It's the oil separator component and it's related plumbing. The vapors are fed back into the crankshaft area, the liquid goes back to the engine. I think I wrote this as oil evaporator.. my bad. But yeah, as even h14 pointed out, this seems to be a common problem of age for a multi jet engine. I had the same problem as well.
Are you mentioning about the oil condenser, to liquefy the evaporated oil and feed ?

Quote:
this seems to be a common problem of age for a multi jet engine. I had the same problem as well.
From what mileage in your odo did you notice this behavior ?

There are examples of the same engine doing high miles especially "epicenter" guy, in team-bhp clocking some 1.90 lacks km and some swift diesel examples clocking similar numbers without any mention of such oil consumption issues

I also personally know of a 90Hp owner who did 1.20 Lacks before selling and who never encountered oil reduction issues, while selling he said engine drives smooth and not like a old car or a worn out horse

Last edited by sriramr9 : 21st November 2016 at 19:44.
Old 28th November 2016, 11:01   #6780
tud
BHPian

Last night, I pulled over my car (2011 Punto Emotion Pack) to park at a relative's. The parking place had a bike standing there, I got down to move it and when I got back and pulled my door handle, the car locked itself.

The car engine, music, ac were running. The headlamps were 'on'. Luckily my house was 6 kms away so I was able to go and get the spare key and unlock the car.

What happens is, whether the engine is running or not, whether the key is in the ignition hole or not, if I pull the driver side outside door handle, the car locks itself. This does not happen with any of the other outside door handles.

I have got down from the car multiple times in these 5 years with the key still in the ignition and the engine 'on' and this issue has never cropped up before. What could be the issue here? Has some spring on the outside handle gone bad and is acting cranky?

Any advice, inputs from you guys on this issue will be great.

Last edited by tud : 28th November 2016 at 11:03.
tud is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed