Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2017, 11:20   #6796
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Going strong at 67.5K KMs exactly after 6.5 years with my MJD. Planning for an upgrade, but not able to decide. Yet to look actively though except for couple of test drives. The way the steering connects to me is just sheer pleasure
Upgrade sure is tough. I go for test drives of most of the newly launched cars, and take the better half along for the test as well. Helps keep her mouth shut regarding the upgrade itch.

I've found it tough to like anything below the S Cross 1.6, and her case is even funnier. The cheapest upgrade options she could like were the Jetta and Hexa.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 10:24   #6797
BHPian

All - I got a check diesel fuel filter warning and the car is struggling to start. Please let me know the possible causes and what I should be doing. Is it ok to still drive the car to the service station ? Thanks in advance.
Old 29th June 2017, 22:17   #6798
BHPian

My Punto MJD started making a weird noise when the AC is started, its mostly audible when the car is started and the AC is turned on, it sounds like some something touching metal (difficult to explain the sound). As I start driving, the sound stops or reduces. This sound is not there when AC is off.

Suggestions please?

Note: No issues in AC cooling.

Last edited by punto_ : 29th June 2017 at 22:19. Reason: Add more details
Old 7th September 2017, 18:48   #6799
Senior - BHPian

My 8yr old Punto MJD has done 1.25 lac km. I've seen the temperature needle dropping after reaching the halfway mark between C and H . It drops while idling at signals and then rises again after revving hard. Is this normal ?

This never used to happen in the first 6 years of ownership , the needle used to reach the halfway mark and stay there - it would never come down. I've seen it dropping for the last 2 yrs - never had a problem as such and kept ignoring it.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-temp.jpg  

Last edited by sdp1975 : 7th September 2017 at 18:54.
Old 7th September 2017, 19:24   #6800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
My Punto MJD started making a weird noise when the AC is started, its mostly audible when the car is started and the AC is turned on, it sounds like some something touching metal (difficult to explain the sound). As I start driving, the sound stops or reduces. This sound is not there when AC is off.

Suggestions please?

Note: No issues in AC cooling.
Just stumbled on this, terribly late I know. Is the issue resolved? Was that noise coming from within the passenger cabin? If yes - it can very much be a malfunctioning motor / flap of the air re-circulation mode that opens/closes depending on the option selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
My 8yr old Punto MJD has done 1.25 lac km. I've seen the temperature needle dropping after reaching the halfway mark between C and H . It drops while idling at signals and then rises again after revving hard. Is this normal ?

This never used to happen in the first 6 years of ownership , the needle used to reach the halfway mark and stay there - it would never come down. I've seen it dropping for the last 2 yrs - never had a problem as such and kept ignoring it.
Quite probably a mis-calibrated / aged coolant temperature sensor or needle drive. I'd not worry as long as it is not going ABOVE the middle position.
Does it go up immediately as soon as you rev from idle? Or takes some minutes to climb up? If it jumps immediately - it seems more of an electronic issue in that case.

Last edited by Reinhard : 7th September 2017 at 19:26.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2017, 20:37   #6801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Quite probably a mis-calibrated / aged coolant temperature sensor or needle drive. I'd not worry as long as it is not going ABOVE the middle position.
Does it go up immediately as soon as you rev from idle? Or takes some minutes to climb up? If it jumps immediately - it seems more of an electronic issue in that case.
It doesn't go above the middle position.

It climbs up slowly when I rev from idle and takes a few minutes to get to the middle. The coolant temperature sensor costs 446/ , it probably is the culprit here.

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/parts/powe...mjd-punto.html
Old 15th September 2017, 10:10   #6802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

An update on this - I got the thermostat unit changed by my mechanic yesterday. I believe the unit contains the coolant temperature sensor as well.

He replaced it with the Swift's unit ( manufacturer is the same as per him , only the branding is different ) . The problem seems to have gone away , the needle hasn't been dropping anymore , although I need to check it for some more time.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2017, 11:25   #6803
BHPian

Quote:
.....He replaced it with the Swift's unit ( manufacturer is the same as per him , only the branding is different ) . The problem seems to have gone away , the needle hasn't been dropping anymore , although I need to check it for some more time.
Was there any cost advantage of replacing with a Swift's unit or the unit was not available for Punto?
I may need to change the thermostat unit for my punto in coming days due to a leakage.
Old 15th September 2017, 11:53   #6804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
Was there any cost advantage of replacing with a Swift's unit or the unit was not available for Punto?
I may need to change the thermostat unit for my punto in coming days due to a leakage.
Swift's one costs 2K . The Punto one costs more , check on 99rpm.

My mechanic told me it would take time to procure parts for the Punto , so I decided to go for the Swift's unit.

I've changed parts like the link rod from the swift and costs were almost half of the Punto's. The parts are from the same third party manufacturer but re-branded and priced differently. Similarly , the Vista's clutch fits in the Punto ( I think there's a minor difference in the diameter that doesn't really matter ).
sdp1975 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2017, 19:18   #6805
Senior - BHPian

The other day I had a quick glance at our ownership thread here. Last update was years back and updating it in detail is an uphill task

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img20170813wa010901.jpeg

Our Punto MJD Emotion Pack crossed 2,00,000 km some time back and is serving us well. During the last 8 years we added few cars to our garage - Wagon R, Palio S10 (both pre-owned & now sold) and Palio GTX Safety Pack (with me now)

Punto has taken us to places without letting us down (see note VII below). The numerous drives to Goa, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka (longest drive till date is Calicut to Nashik)

Worthy updates :

I) Brake Pads and Disc :

- First two sets of brake pads were changed at 30k km and 60k km. Third set lasted ~47k km.
- First set of brake discs lasted 60k km and second, 127k km.

Later we sourced Brembo Type 1 Pads from Laxmikant and Co, Goa. I haven't driven much with Fiat pads but dad says the bite is better and the brake dust less. They lasted ~80k km! (we're told by the seller that ours is the highest). Being happy with Brembo, went ahead with Brembo pads and rotors (not slotted or drilled). Let's see how long it lasts.

Note : Brembo makes only Punto Type 1 pads, the last I checked.

II) Clutch disc lasts us 70k km on average.

III) Timing chain kit was replaced at ~100k km and again at ~200k km. Unlike 90 HP cars, 75 HP does not require replacement every 60k km.

We're told that our timing chain will last more (one can hear a 'metallic sound' during cold start when the replacement is impending). We went ahead with premature replacement though

IV) Shifted to Mobil Delvac 1 between (3 oil changes). Might go for Liqui Moly next time.

V) Tried the Liqui Moly diesel additive after reading CrazyDriver's updates. Noticed an improvement in mileage and drop in noise levels (my enthusiastic younger brother measured the before and after noise levels using an android app to make sure that it's not a placebo effect)

VI) Fiat is great when it comes to warranty replacements. We've made quite a few free of cost replacements. Latest being, replacement of Twist Beam for a long standing uneven rear left tyre wear- part alone costs ~₹ 22k - We're reimbursed 17k on a goodwill basis.

VII) Our car came with a faulty alternator and we're stranded near our home during the initial days of ownership.

During one of the drives, the external temperature sensor gave away (MID used to show 'ice on road' warning). Even with the lowest temperature setting the AC would throw in hot air.

VIII) We've taken the car to RF Motors (Ernakulam), Hyson (Thrissur), Marina Motors (Calicut), KVR (Calicut), Urs Cars (Mysore) and a service outreach camp by Daiwik Fiat (Malappuram)

There were ups and downs when it comes to service. But when we sum it up, the service has always been good. Special thanks to KVR Calicut

To upgrade or not!

As with everyone, the urge to upgrade is always there. The way we see it, Punto is reliable as always (the only thing we need to worry about long drives is packing the suitcases) and it doesn't make much sense to part with the car. Punto will stay with us for few more years - may be, a brand new Renegade or a pre-owned Jeep Compass will make for a worthy upgrade

The car needs some tender love and care - will get the battle scars attended to, a new pair of headlamps and may be, wrap the ORVMs in red carbon fibre vinyl.

End note :

"The easiest way to make your old car run better is to check the price of new cars" - unknown author

Leaving few images :

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-image-3.jpg

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img20170827wa01230101.jpeg

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img20171016wa000701.jpeg

Last edited by Klub Class : 19th October 2017 at 19:44.
Klub Class is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 21:07   #6806
Senior - BHPian

Great to see an update! More high mileage cars = more confidence to take our Fiat’s all over India. You’ll be surprised to know that I’ve already done more Kms in the Abarth than what I did on my 7 yr old Punto that we replaced.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 23:19   #6807
BHPian

So today after a short drive in the evening, my Punto's front fog lights refused to turn off, even after switching off the headlamps, engine and ignition.

Tried all combinations of switching on/off the ignition, headlights, fog lights, follow me home lamps etc. and no go.

Luckily I was close to my home so drove back home, found the fuse number from the manual and took it out to switch the fog lamps off. Has anyone experienced something similar? Will need to visit the service center this weekend, it seems.
Old 16th November 2017, 23:29   #6808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
End note :

"The easiest way to make your old car run better is to check the price of new cars" - unknown author
Absolutely! Tell me about it!

The poor resale value of FIATs doesn't help either. A simple upgrade to a segment above looks atrocious from a financial perspective, and having enjoyed the build quality of these cars - it's hard to compromise either.

Your update and the 2L kms image is such an inspiration. I'm at 1.5L and hoping to reach that mark without issues, and hopefully more.

Congratulations on the milestone!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 16th November 2017 at 23:31.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 23:44   #6809
BHPian

Klub Class and Crazy driver, hats off people You give us the confidence to hold on to dear Punto for longer time. Mine is 2009 model with 80K Kms on the odo. The mileage is nothing compared to what you guys have driven. Look at the way Kub Class has maintained his car. Nobody would say it is 2 lakh kms old when seeing it from outside. I am sure the drive should still feel the same as well.

Of late, I am taking the office cab and hence my wife is driving the Punto to drop the kids at school. She is in love with it too which gave me immense satisfaction of a good buy made in 2009.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 08:16   #6810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Absolutely! Tell me about it!

The poor resale value of FIATs doesn't help either. A simple upgrade to a segment above looks atrocious from a financial perspective, and having enjoyed the build quality of these cars - it's hard to compromise either.

Your update and the 2L kms image is such an inspiration. I'm at 1.5L and hoping to reach that mark without issues, and hopefully more.

Congratulations on the milestone!
Wow..Nice I had my emotion pack upto 130K without issues. The only reason i was shifted was the need of a diesel automatic to overcome the crazy traffic pile ups while entering and leaving city. I usually spend 8 hours a day in the car and its also my partial office space

The Punto is one of the best cars, i've owned and to upgrade from a Punto is aint easy either!!

Some features of the car competes with cars 2 segments higher

The best feature i loved was the 15K service interval. And as most of us would agree, the lesser visits to the service stations, more time to enjoy the car!!
headers is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks