Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 11:45   #751
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 2.0 Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhurules View Post
Hello:
I own a Cruze - 40,000KM and into its second year.
GM mandates that we take the car for checkup every 5,000 KM (mandatory - else we risk losing the 3-year, 100,000 Km warranty).

This time when I took the vehicle for servicing, I was told that all brake pads are "weak" and have to be replaced (Rs.18,000) and the discs "machined" as they were pitted.
That was to cost another 2,000 Plus labour

Can someone tell me whether these charges are reasonable. Why do all 4 brake pads have to be replaced? That too twice within 40,000 Km?

Apart from this, each time I take the car for a 5,000 km checkup - I am being charged anywhere between Rs.2,000 and Rs.4,000 as charges for checkup.
Hi Madhu,

I own a Cruze bought approximately same time as you. Aug-2010 and have done 27,500kms till date.

I am still running on my original set of brake-pads till now and by way its performing, I dont expect it to be changed even at 30,000kms.

Have seen many Cruze owners on forum complaining about brake-pads to be changed at 20K kms or earlier.

My question to all of you is are you all seeing a sign that its on its on last legs.

Does the pads make a lot of screeching sound before you change it or just changing at the advice of the dealership?

If its the latter, then its evident the dealerships are taking you all for a ride

My 5000kms service has always costed me < 1500Rs. My overall ownership cost including wheel alignment and balance is 0.60Rs/KM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Are you serious? Brake pads on a Cruze last 20000 kms?? That's approximately 12500miles. Is this a problem with the Cruze? My last set of pads lasted me about 45000 Miles!! And I am still on my first set of disk at 65000 Miles.
Which car do you drive and where? Is it the Cruze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhurules View Post
Each 5,000 Kms I am being quoted the following:
Service: 900 apparently to check if that car is okay
Brake pads inspection: 600 - to check if the brake pads are worn out
water wash: 400 - acceptable
External Labor: 600 (What's that - for the guy who wipes the car as I am taking delivery?)
Plus there have been misc charges.
These add upto 2,500 minimum on all bills (especially the ones were there is no oils change etc)
Your break-up clearly indicates your dealership is fleecing you

1. Service : Rs.900. Reasonable

2. Brake Pads Inspection. They are supposed to do it free of cost. My dealer checks it and every service and never charged me a single rupee for this inspection.

3. Water Wash : This is preposterous. I get a FREE wash when i make a vist to dealership for resolution of most minor issues

4. External Labour: You should insist what is this cost? Folks in KUN Dealership dont even accept a tip, forget about charging a customer for the external cleaning of the car.

I "Always" have received FREE nitrogen air-top up too. Whereas, I heard its charged anywhere between Rs.150-Rs.300 by other dealerships

Please post the pictures of your bill break-up, would be interesting to see the complete line items.

Btw, you can read detailed ownership report of my Cruze here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...completed.html
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 17:01   #752
BHPian

[quote="mobike008"]

Hi Madhu,

I own a Cruze bought approximately same time as you. Aug-2010 and have done 27,500kms till date.

I am still running on my original set of brake-pads till now and by way its performing, I dont expect it to be changed even at 30,000kms.

Have seen many Cruze owners on forum complaining about brake-pads to be changed at 20K kms or earlier.

My question to all of you is are you all seeing a sign that its on its on last legs.

Does the pads make a lot of screeching sound before you change it or just changing at the advice of the dealership?

YES. Both the times I got the brake pads changed at 20K and 40K I could hear a lot of screeching sound while applying the brakes.

In fact at 40K I delayed in changing the brake pads as I was driving out of city and this resulted in the discs wearing out. That's what the service advisor said and I had to get the discs replaced as well.
Old 15th May 2012, 17:17   #753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
YES. Both the times I got the brake pads changed at 20K and 40K I could hear a lot of screeching sound while applying the brakes.

In fact at 40K I delayed in changing the brake pads as I was driving out of city and this resulted in the discs wearing out. That's what the service advisor said and I had to get the discs replaced as well.
If there is an indication then its fine. However, I am still flabbergasted at the frequency at which your pads are wearing out. Can you outline your riding style/pattern a bit in detail for benefit of other cruze owning members?

Would also appreciate the total cost ( including break-ups) of pads and disc replacement at 40K service?
Old 15th May 2012, 19:17   #754

Hi Sameer:

Absolutely no noise from my brakes. Dealer is using the usual tactics to get me change it earlier. Maybe it still has another 5,000 Km life - but how to make sure?

Madhu

[quote=sameer sultan;2777926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008

Hi Madhu,

Old 15th May 2012, 20:08   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhurules
Hi Sameer:

Absolutely no noise from my brakes. Dealer is using the usual tactics to get me change it earlier. Maybe it still has another 5,000 Km life - but how to make sure?

Madhu
If there is no noise at all tell the service advisor that you will get it changed in the next service. The dealer cannot force you to change. They have been advised by GM to inspect and change if necessary the brake pads every 20K so they follow the rule by the book. You can always tell them you don't want to.

Sort of similar thing I did at 20k service. They wanted to change all 4 brake pads. But I knew only the rear ones had worn out so got the rear pads replaced and the front pads got it replaced in the next service of 25K
Old 16th May 2012, 12:05   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
If there is an indication then its fine. However, I am still flabbergasted at the frequency at which your pads are wearing out. Can you outline your riding style/pattern a bit in detail for benefit of other cruze owning members?

Would also appreciate the total cost ( including break-ups) of pads and disc replacement at 40K service?
I often drive on the highways. 2 trips of about 300kms a month. Usually drive at speeds above of 140KMPH. As is the case with such speeds frequent braking is the order. The braking is rigorous sometimes! In the city I drive very sedately(no other option with the traffic around).

I am listing below the bill details of the brake pads replacement at 20000kms and 40000kms for the benefit of other Cruze owners.

My Cruze went for the 20000km service on August 17 2010. Odo reading 21795kms:

Bill details:

Spare Parts

1) Front Brake Pads Rs. 4265/-

2) Pad Kit RR Disc Brake (Including Blow Clean All Wheel Brakes) Rs. 7007/-

Labour and Job Work

1) Paid Service Rs. 700/-

2) Running Repair Rs. 300/-

3) Brake Pads Replacement Rs. 189/-

4) Rear Disc Brake Pads Replacement Rs. 270/-

Total Including Taxes Rs. 14,289/-(VAT Service Tax EDU Cess @ 16%)

My Cruze went for the 40000KM service on August 2 2011. Odo reading 40124KMS.

Bill details:

Spare Parts

1) Front Brake Pad Rs. 5617/-

2) Pad Kit, RR Disc Brake(Including Skimming Front Brake Discs,ENG Wax) Rs. 6884/-

3) Rotor, RR Brake Rs. 6531/-

Labour and Job Work

1) Rear Disc Brake Pads Replacement Rs. 189/-

2) Front Brake Pads Replacement Rs. 350/-

3) Brake Disc Replacement Rs.600/-

4) Brake Bleeding Rs. 200/-

5) External Labour Rs. 1973/-

Total inclusive of taxes Rs. 25,444/- (VAT Service Tax Edu Cess @ 16%)
sameer sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 12:24   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post
I am listing below the bill details of the brake pads replacement at 20000kms and 40000kms for the benefit of other Cruze owners.
Thanks Sameer for detailed information. I am sure it will certainly help other Cruze owners. However, i see some difference in cost from first change to second change? Is it due to price increase?

So between the 2 brake pad changes, you spent nearly 40K. That's a whopping sum !

Also, whats your current odo reading? And, did you change your tyres yet?

How about some latest pictures of your Cruze?
Old 16th May 2012, 12:40   #758
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sameer for detailed information. I am sure it will certainly help other Cruze owners. However, i see some difference in cost from first change to second change? Is it due to price increase?

So between the 2 brake pad changes, you spent nearly 40K. That's a whopping sum !

Yes I guess its the price increase by few hundreds from the first to the second replacement of the Brake pads.

Current reading is 52750KMS.

I havent changed the tires yet but its shortly due as I have noticed the front tires getting worn out and also in my last highway drive I could feel wobbling at speeds of 150KMPH. This could be because the tires are getting old.

The first set of tires which were low profile 225/45 R17 I had to replace at 21500KMS. Now my Cruze is riding on 225/55 R17 and have clocked 30000kms with out a single flat tyre! With a slight change in profile I felt the ride is more comfy and the drivability is better.

Photos - There is not much change in my Cruze since I had bought it. Just a few more scratches and yes I have got a new number plate!!

The photos are availaible in my ownership report

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ms-update.html
Old 16th May 2012, 13:36   #759
Team-BHP Support

Arent the brake discs(not the pads) covered under warranty. In both the indica and safari, the brake discs are covered under warranty.

I got my front discs of the Safari changed under warranty at 70,000kms.
Old 16th May 2012, 14:43   #760
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Avinash,

Hope the beast is treating you well!
About the brake pads, Mine went in for a change at 14900kms for a whopping cost of Rs. 14400! I was shocked that stopping the car took Re.1/km! Got some other brand pads in my brother's cruze at 21000kms for Rs.4000 and they seem to be working perfectly fine even after 4000kms! GM is surely ripping us off by these stupid prices!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Arent the brake discs(not the pads) covered under warranty. In both the indica and safari, the brake discs are covered under warranty.

I got my front discs of the Safari changed under warranty at 70,000kms.
Whaaat! I paid for the discs change on my Safari at 60,000kms! They put in the Calipers under warranty, but I paid for discs and pads! I will check this out!

Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 15:31   #761
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharsethi View Post
Hi Avinash,

Hope the beast is treating you well!
About the brake pads, Mine went in for a change at 14900kms for a whopping cost of Rs. 14400! I was shocked that stopping the car took Re.1/km! Got some other brand pads in my brother's cruze at 21000kms for Rs.4000 and they seem to be working perfectly fine even after 4000kms! GM is surely ripping us off by these stupid prices!

Whaaat! I paid for the discs change on my Safari at 60,000kms! They put in the Calipers under warranty, but I paid for discs and pads! I will check this out!

Thanks
Actually I was refused extended warranty on brake discs. They told me they are under warranty for 40,000kms
I asked them to show me this in the extended warranty booklet.
The booklet simply said, "covered under extended warranty", and did not mention any km limit. So they had to relent.
Old 6th June 2012, 16:55   #762
BHPian

Chevrolet Cruze - Another Skoda A.S.S in the making ?

I bought Chevrolet Cruze, way back in 2009 December, several times it came across my mind to post a thread regarding the A.S.S. horrors that have faced by my friends and me myself.

First of all, let me clarify, i am huge fan of this car , if given a choice all over again, i would still end up purchasing the same make/model.

In the past two years, the car has clocked 45,000 Kms, i have gotten the brake pads changed thrice, which alone cost around 8,000 just for the front brake pads. They expect us to the get the both front/read pads changed every 15Kms, same is the case with three of my other friends.

The normal servicing for the same costs around 12-14K. Everytime i personally visit the service station, i am always horrified by the sales person stating that the timing belt will break, clutch needs to be replaced, including the flywheel. Its something or the other everytime. I dont mind paying 12-14K for the service, but when i compare the same with the other cars i own, Endeavor, Accord, the normal servicing for the same costs around 6-7K.

My friend recently got the the clutch as well as the flywheel changes. I tried doing some research on the net, and found we were not the only ones :-

Quote:
Link :-
General Motors Complaints. PROBLEM IN CLUTCH SYSTEM OF THE CAR, Chevrolet Cruze Lt (manual), NEW DELHI,Consumer Complaints Company Complaint India

Quote "However just 16 months after the purchase on 15th of September 2011 the clutch of the car gave away and the company workshop has asked me for a huge amount of 60,000 saying the clutch pads and fly wheel have given away."
Quote:
Link: -
General Motors Complaints. Clutch& pressure plate & flywheel., Chevrolet Cruze Lt (manual), Vadodara,Consumer Complaints Company Complaint India

Quote - "However Clutch Plate Failure took place after 17000 kms indicates that there is a manufacturing defect in the car and same has been registered through complain no:26839 on 03.04.2012,while inquireing today i.e 07.04.2012 was replied that complain has been closed.I am owning and driving vehical since 1981 of diffrent companies,but have never experience such problem."
I have been quoted 68,000 for the same issue by Metro Chevrolet, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi.

These are just people facing the same issue. Anyone else facing these issues? And are there any other alternatives for getting *** for Chevrolet Cruze?

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th June 2012 at 01:12. Reason: Added quotes to quoted text
d3adlythegame is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 23:27   #763
anb
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze - Another Skoda A.S.S in the making ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3adlythegame View Post
These are just people facing the same issue. Anyone else facing these issues? And are there any other alternatives for getting *** for Chevrolet Cruze?
My car has done about 42500 Km. So far no problems with the clutch. Front brake pads were replaced twice( @ 17.5K and 35K) and rear pads once(20K). Price of some spare parts are high. Paid Rs.10700 for Driver side ORVM. Looks like Maintenance costs of Cruze is higher than Laura/Jetta thanks to 5000 Km service interval and brake pads.

Last edited by anb : 6th June 2012 at 23:40.
Old 6th June 2012, 23:59   #764
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Cruze - Another Skoda A.S.S in the making ?

Skoda people must be genuinely happy to read this thread. I have owned an octavia & i always used to keep my fingers crossed while getting her serviced. Thanks for shedding light on the Cruze spares & service state , my cousin was almost about to buy one, but the sales representative was one of his known who told the hardships associated with the cruze, he bought an altis 2012 & i have never seen him more happier with any other car. I think its high time when manufacturers should understand the importance of spares & services costs,
Old 7th June 2012, 00:18   #765
BHPian

I have been researching on the Cruze AT quite religiously for the past few weeks. But for the past 2-3 days I have been reading many posts on the so expensive A.S.S. I am just shocked to read the mandatory "check up" after every 5000 km, which itself is very expensive. Then the brake pads need change every 15000km which in itself puts you back by many 5 digits. I am just shocked that in today's time when all automobile companies are trying to give more hassle free cars, GM is making cars on service models dating to the 90's. What is more amusing that despite such major service issues, many swear by this car. This makes me wonder whether these disastrous service stories are true ? I am sure no one would want to spend thousands of rupees at regular interval in the name of A.S.S. ?

I was considering the Cruze AT (facelift/engine upgrade) but I am in serious doubts. I preferred the Cruze AT over the Laura AT and Jetta AT because it is cheaper by a few lacs. But if I land up paying so much in A.S.S, then I guess such a purchase will be "penny wise pound foolish".

My requirements for a car are- diesel, AT and exciting looks. Till now Cruze AT was fitting the bill considering the price tag.

Can someone advise me what to do ? I am in a fix. I do not want a car that sucks my bank balance dry on A.S.S. At the same time the Jetta (my second choice) is out of my budget by a few lacs. Also VW and Skoda have equal horror A.S.S stories !!!

Will appreciate some genuine and unbiased advice from all users and experts here.

Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th June 2012 at 01:10. Reason: Please avoid quoting a long post specially when its on same page as it causes inconvenience to mobile readers, thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks