Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 17:06   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashani View Post
Now looking back, it seems like the Chevy india is clearly targeting the Laura. Aren't Skoda's typically known for lasting long. I remember an issue in Autocar where the Editor had travelled to Israel (I think) where the Octy's were running as cabs and his cab's odo was reading 500k
The hard plastics, the finish outside, the color scheme inside and now according to you even the clutch seems to be built to last.
About putting the car in 5th, I did that and was "Cruzing" along at around 40-50kms/hr and the car seemed perfectly alright, can't imagine doing that in my corolla, it would stall and the verna has this tendency to auto accelerate.
The cruze was slow but felt completely alright in that situation.
maybe what I say is slightly OT, but I had recently been to a remote Port location in Gujarat, and the vehicle I travelled to and fro the airport (distance of over 200 Km) was a safari... with one having 296K on the ODO and the other having 220K on the ODO. Surprisingly, the safari was almost rattle free... and clocking speeds over 120 with ease. These were the dicor 3.0 ltr ones LX... and to say the least, was really amazed and after this experience, have more or less now decided to wait for the all new one to be launched in march, or to look for a great deal in the second hand market... if the Cruze is prized too atrociously... i.e. over 12 L ex showroom
Old 8th October 2009, 19:24   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashani View Post
The hard plastics, the finish outside, the color scheme inside and now according to you even the clutch seems to be built to last.
About putting the car in 5th, I did that and was "Cruzing" along at around 40-50kms/hr and the car seemed perfectly alright, can't imagine doing that in my corolla, it would stall and the verna has this tendency to auto accelerate.
The cruze was slow but felt completely alright in that situation.
Is this something very special, in my palio: after engaging the first gear, i can change upto the 5th gear without pressing the accelerator and cruise at around 30 in the 5th with no knocking what so ever.. I thought that this was a standard with all MPFI cars!!
Old 8th October 2009, 20:34   #123
BHPian

Thx TSK

Thank you very much your mind blowing review TSK ! You accomplished a neat and full info about the machine. A Diesel car with good amount of horses under the hood for Indian road is a a big thing especially in this price segment. btw one small matter bro ....whats that bright green LED ?? !!
Old 8th October 2009, 20:53   #124
asw
BHPian

Things that are inferred from the above image.

1. Top model(LTZ) will be priced below Civic V-AT and will come OTR at a price less than 13.59 lakhs, probably near 13.25 lakhs OTR as they don't mention price while comparing 1.8 GL

2.The LT variant will be priced at around 12.4 OTR as they mention LT is in the same price bracket as Civc VMT(12.86) and Altis 1.8G(11.91). So taking average this comes out to be the most probable price.

Chevrolet have got the price as spot on as they could have, and the only thing that can stop it from being a bestseller will be the brand, which I hope not. Also the 3 years cashfree assurance if provided will be a wonderful plus for this car.

Externally Hosted Pictures:

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by bblost : 8th October 2009 at 21:40.
Old 8th October 2009, 21:28   #125
BHPian

Tanveer sir,

Excellent review and equally matching good quality pics. My relative had a TD of Cruze and they decided against the car on sole two reasons(compared to Jetta they own):
1. Werent happy with performance in city drives, felt much more turbo lag.
2. The space inside was quite compact they said as you highlighted too.
3. Plastic quality was extremely cheap for a car worth 14 lakhs. Chevy must know that this wasnt an area to do cost cutting.
I really wanted him to buy this car but alas, new options have to be searched now now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneesh View Post
btw one small matter bro ....whats that bright green LED ?? !!
I guess thats the START/STOP button. If it is, its a strange place to be in, especially from that angle.
Old 8th October 2009, 21:38   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much your mind blowing review TSK ! You accomplished a neat and full info about the machine. A Diesel car with good amount of horses under the hood for Indian road is a a big thing especially in this price segment. btw one small matter bro ....whats that bright green LED ?? !!
Maneesh, there I think is the car engine's 'Start Engine/Stop Engine' button.
Old 8th October 2009, 21:47   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
btw one small matter bro ....whats that bright green LED ?? !!
That must be the manual lock facility thats being discussed along with the eunuch problem?

BTW, fantastic article there TSK. Your writing (and keen eye) can easily turn our auto-mags into eunuchs IMHO
Old 8th October 2009, 22:14   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

That's the Start-Stop button!
Old 8th October 2009, 22:36   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
one question. can the key less entry thing be turned off? i mean what if your garage is next to your hall and the key is within 6 feet of the parked car?
We did not have owners manual, so did not deep dive much, but maybe it can be turned off, only a manual will confirm that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
First of all this is an awesome review. Good work TSK.

My question here is: Is the turbo log so bad that even a Pete's box or RD ECU cannot help in bumper to bumper traffic? Wont getting one of these fitted help driving in B2B traffic?
I doubt pete will help at revs like 1000rpm which are seen in bumper to bumper crawl scenarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
First time am hearing this, clutch becomes hard due to wear and tear of parts like release bearing and stuff but hydrolics? If it was cable then i can understand.
Air in system, dirt accumulation, and general seating of the parts is the cause.
For example, when safari clutch was new, pedal pressure was 9, and then with use it settles down to 15 or so

T
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Maneesh, there I think is the car engine's 'Start Engine/Stop Engine' button.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
That must be the manual lock facility thats being discussed along with the eunuch problem?

BTW, fantastic article there TSK. Your writing (and keen eye) can easily turn our auto-mags into eunuchs IMHO
Yes, thats the start stop button.
As for eunuch problem or beggar problem, do not switch off the car, and nobody can open it from outside, simple.
Old 8th October 2009, 22:42   #130
Senior - BHPian

Thats a wonderful review tsk and you have put everything very nicely.
The cruze if priced properly can beat the competition.

Any idea how many versions will be sold? Is there any model with 6 airbags?
Old 8th October 2009, 23:49   #131
BHPian

i wish they had made the stop and start button made of glassy plastic. and they should have added chrome ring to it too. make it high end!!.

but i guess they would have thought about it. and there must be a reason for that simple button. i think it has LED lights to it.

TSK does is look cheap or you can live with it?? whats your view on it.
Old 9th October 2009, 00:03   #132
Team-BHP Support

You can live with it. It gels with the rest of the buttons.
To be frank, though the interiors are not really "very high end", they do look built to last, and there is oodles of chrome to keep you happy.
The lighting is among the best in its class, and I doubt anybody will reject this car due to the interior layout. The biggest weakness is lack of space, esp in rear seat.
Old 9th October 2009, 10:01   #133
BHPian

Do not buy this car for more than 10-11 lakhs!

In South Africa cheapest Civic is as expensive as the most expensive Cruze.

In Australia cheapest Cruze is a full 1/3rd cheaper than the cheapest Civic.

In the U. K cheapest Cruze is a full 4000 pounds or roughly 25% cheaper than the cheapest Civic.

Which means Civic in India should be priced at 9.5 - 10.5 lakhs at the max (okay, I give some consideration for the diesel, but to be honest it's a cheap car with an engine which has been around, horrendous transmission and poor suspension set-up not to mention the plastics). So please refrain from saying things like this is comparable to a top end Civic or to a Hyundai Sonata which is in a completely different segment all-together. Compare it to Optra.

Good luck to people who buy this car!

From a disgruntled Optra owner (since 2004).
Old 9th October 2009, 12:26   #134
BHPian

Excellent review!!Is it just me or is there really a striking similarity between the steering wheel design in I20 and Chevrolet Cruze?
Old 9th October 2009, 14:40   #135
Senior - BHPian

The start stop is green? Come on Chevy! It should be in the middle of the console taking pride of place. What's the use of such a novel feature if its hidden away like that?

Most Viewed