Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2009, 12:39   #16
BHPian

Excellent Review.
I almost finalized to buy this one but the high spare part costs and availability issues turned me off. It's an excellent Japanese vehicle BTW and boasts of high quality interiors and superlative performance. However X-Trail makes huge sense for those living in Metros since the dealer network is indeed wafer-thin!
Old 19th October 2009, 13:20   #17
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
...did you guys feel that the car was under tyred during the test? and what about the dash board plastics? say when compared to a 3 series or a c-class?
I would not go out of my way to complain about the car being under-tyred (eg. baleno), but it could surely benefit with some wider rubber, in terms of performance and looks.

As for the dash-board plastics, they do have that "soft-touch feel" that a lot of people seem to notice. In comparison, GTO mentioned that they can't quite match up to his C220 in terms of quality, but they are about 80% there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I liked the animated pic----wonder how you created it??
Idea + tripod + sequential pics + any simple animated GIF creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
....I always believe Nissan needs to work out on their pricing to get their cars to masses. Somehow i have a gut feeling that it will be done, but when is questionable ??
Well they seem to be commiting to India in a big way (link (Nissan plans to drive in nine models to India by 2012)), so that might fix the CBU-pricing and lack-of-dealership issues currently faced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
....It surprises me that there is no Aux input for the stereo or parking sensors in a car of this segment. Probably, because the X-Trail is not regarded as a high-end car in Japan, but it becomes high-end (incase of price) till it lands in India through CBU.
True point Stratos. Nothing about the car really shouts "luxury" except the price!

Since the new X-Trail is longer than the old one, a good part of the extra length seems to have been squeezed in after the rear axle, leading to the extra-wide D-pillars. Reversing around corners is especially tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
....However X-Trail makes huge sense for those living in Metros since the dealer network is indeed wafer-thin!
I was indeed impressed with the ease of drivability in the city, for both the automatic and manual transmissions.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th October 2009 at 13:38.
Old 19th October 2009, 17:05   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review of a car that doesn't cross our minds as often, Rehaan. Thanks for the in-depth report. I've liked the older X-Trail too (except for the gawky anniversary edition grille that they'd come out with). Its a balanced soft-roader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The best pic of the lot is the animated one showing the boot space.
Seriously nice piece of work on the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
made me learn a few new things about the x-trail which i never realised
LOL! You can count on our reviews for a level of detail. How about adding some points on the new X-Trail in your family, especially the drive.

Quote:
anyways one point which stuck me was, did you guys feel that the car was under tyred during the test?
As Rehaan commented, the current tyres do the job though wider rubber would greatly enhance the looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
The height adjustable driver's seat is great for short drivers like me.
That height adjustment has some insane range! Very useful.

Quote:
Parking sensors on a car this size are sorely missed as mentioned by Rehaan.
Strange omissions:

- Telescopic steering wheel (I'm very particular about my driving position)

- No ipod / aux input on the stereo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
AI always believe Nissan needs to work out on their pricing to get their cars to masses. Somehow i have a gut feeling that it will be done, but when is questionable ??
Nissan Renault make some really competent small cars. They've committed to 9 new launches in the near future. What can I say, we look forward to them!

Expanding the dealer network will be one of Nissan's biggest challenges. Their renault showrooms are part of the Mahindra tie-up, and with the recent cash crunch, few entrepreneurs are willing to invest 15 crores in dealer facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
I almost finalized to buy this one but the high spare part costs and availability issues turned me off.
Could you elaborate on that please? I do remember a post from you about your relatives X-Trail ownership. Thanks

Quote:
It's an excellent Japanese vehicle BTW and boasts of high quality interiors and superlative performance. However X-Trail makes huge sense for those living in Metros since the dealer network is indeed wafer-thin!
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
was indeed impressed with the ease of drivability in the city, for both the automatic and manual transmissions.
That slushbox makes it a breeze to drive in the city. Light controls too.
Old 19th October 2009, 17:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

excellent review and loved reading about the details auto-mags never feature. The video was amazing too - best t-bhp one yet, look forward to seeing more

thanks guys
Old 19th October 2009, 18:10   #20
BHPian

Very comprehensive review there. The sunroof is really huge! It's like opening up the dome of a deep space probe telescope! The animated image clearly shows how versatile the boot is. The part where you suddenly appear lying flat out in the boot is hilarious!

But Nissan has made a big mistake by omitting out small but very important premium features like the steering mounted audio controls, and reach adjust in the steering. For a car that's best enjoyed self driven, features that the driver who has shelled out 20L will miss, will not do anything for the sales figures.
Old 19th October 2009, 18:54   #21
BHPian

Really nice review. Great photos as well.

I cant place my finger on it, but it to me lacks the finesse that you would expect from a car this price.

p.s: really loved the animation.
Old 19th October 2009, 21:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great review. How about some comparision points with the other Jap diesel SUV, the Fortuner.
Old 19th October 2009, 23:27   #23
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Awesome review and some slick camera work considering the awesome response the Fortuner has got in the market (7500 + bookings) looks like the Nissan is gonna find it tough to get a foothold ???

Any idea how many bookings the X-trail could manage to get ? considering both were launched around the same time ?

A head to head comparison would help to shed some light...
Old 20th October 2009, 00:51   #24
BHPian

Awesome review and those pictures really help. I wouldn't have noticed so many details even if I went for a test drive. IMHO this package is overpriced.
Old 20th October 2009, 02:57   #25
BHPian

Brilliant review. Now since Toyota has launched LandCruiser at a sky high price in India, I am wondering if Nissan has any plans of bringing Nissan Patrol to Indian shores.
Old 20th October 2009, 03:47   #26
BHPian

Excellent review Rehaan. A very detail explanation of the X-Trail. I would say better than auto magazine review. Photography was awesome, especially the animated one.
Really liked the interiors, good use of storage space. Sunroof is huge and beautiful.
Exterior design should have been better. Definitely not the beautiful looking SUV around in that price range.
Rear passenger leg room is a huge minus. Most of the SUV's are chauffeur driven and being a 5 seater vehicle, why couldn't they push the rear seats back a bit?. It would have been more luxurious to be driven in.
Old 20th October 2009, 10:29   #27
Team-BHP Support

Great Review. So Nissan has actually managed to give a great vehicle. too bad, due to it being a CBU, the price is a tad too high.
BTW, in the west, the most ergonomically sound car I drove was the Nissan Altima Hybrid. Nissan pays a lot of attention to comfort, and it shows.
Old 20th October 2009, 10:35   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review, Nissan Xtrail is a undoubtedly the best in the segment. Nissan needs to do something about the pricing to capture the market.

Similar looks to the outgoing version may not help sales.
Old 20th October 2009, 10:58   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcoolgadgets View Post
The part where you suddenly appear lying flat out in the boot is hilarious!
That's our friendly moderator Ported_Head!

Quote:
But Nissan has made a big mistake by omitting out small but very important premium features like the steering mounted audio controls, and reach adjust in the steering.
While I don't care so much for steering mounted controls, I was shocked at the lack of a telescopic steering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Great review. How about some comparision points with the other Jap diesel SUV, the Fortuner.
The X-Trail is way more car-like to drive. It feels "soft", is as easy to drive as a Civic in town and has better refinement. The Fortuner, on the other hand, is built tough (it shows), has more interior space (especially middle row), feels quicker (though it isn't), a better offroader and way more VFM. Nissan has superior sedan-like ride quality, Fortuner is a more capable offroader. Brakes (a Fortuner sore point), its the Nissan all the way. Though both of them are premium SUVs, they are as different as chalk and cheese. One, a soft monocoque SUV, the other a tough-as-nails body on frame Toyota.
Old 20th October 2009, 11:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Nice review, Nissan Xtrail is a undoubtedly the best in the segment. Nissan needs to do something about the pricing to capture the market.

Similar looks to the outgoing version may not help sales.
Nissan are committing themselves to the Indian market big time with around 9 new models by 2012 including a small car, commercial vehicles and the 370z sportscar which will be launched next year. The X Trail price tag can come down if they go by the CKD route once they start full time operations from Chennai.

Most Viewed