Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 11:27   #31
BANNED

A great review and goes through all the relevant details. I already like the looks of this SUV. And @20 lakhs it's not overpriced IMO.
Old 20th October 2009, 15:22   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Great review. How about some comparision points with the other Jap diesel SUV, the Fortuner.
The X-Trail :

- Is nowhere near as imposing as the Fortuner on the outside.
- Has the edge in terms of luxuries, even though it doesn't have too many. (Since Fortuner is really bare-bones in that department.)
- Front seats are nicely shaped, but not as cushioned as the Fortuner.
- Has softer suspension in comparison and the rear bench is a lot lower than the high-up seating of the middle bench in the Fortuner.
- Has the A/T option, which might be preferred by premium car buyers.
- Is not priced impressively at all, whereas the Fortuner stirred up the competition on the pricing front.
- Toyota is a trusted and respected name in India, Nissan still has a way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Any idea how many bookings the X-trail could manage to get ? considering both were launched around the same time ?
I'm sure there is a pretty great disparity here! Lets wait till this month's sales figures are released and see if the new X-Trail manages to cross even 50 sales this month.
EDIT: In September, 676 Fortuners were sold, and 36 X-Trails. Source: GTO's Sept Sales Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...While I don't care so much for steering mounted controls, I was shocked at the lack of a telescopic steering!....
Exactly vice-versa for me (since the ergonomics are correct to start with). However this just goes to show that the requirements differ from person to person and thats why manufacturers need to include them all in a car thats priced at a premium.

Another interesting point a member brought up in another Nissan thread was the fact that there are no Nissan advertisements around. "No ads = no sales" was his quote, which is very true. Not too many people even know Nissan has a presence in India. However, i guess that is changing, along with a couple of large X-Trail billboards coming up in major cities.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th October 2009 at 15:28.
Old 20th October 2009, 16:06   #33
BHPian

Thanks Rehan for the indepth review of the X-Trail. One of my dream vehicles. Nissan's pricing is too high. I think the Captiva Auto / Forturener will be the best buy instead of buying the Nissan Xtrail. I would buy Captiva Auto / Forturener for 20 Lakhs and put 10 Lakhs in Fixed Deposit for maintenance, instead of paying 30 Lakhs for Xtrail.

Apart from the glaring omissions of Telescopic Reach, Parking Sensors, is the warranty period. Only two years / 50,000 KMS. I think Tata is more generous in warranty. Any Extended Warranty on Offer?
Old 20th October 2009, 16:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Super stuff Rehaan. That's a comprehensive and exhausting review of the X-Trail.

That sun-roof is HUGE - and though the rear leg space appears very limited - I feel the AT would sell more than the MT.

ps - Will the prices of the old-gen X-Trail in the used car market go south now ?
Old 20th October 2009, 17:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Actually, the rear leg space isn't very limited, the front seats have a lot of travel. But, the B-Pillar seems to restrict ingress and egress.

I loved the road manners on the X-Trail, very minimal dive under braking too. Combined with that super slick AT and sedan like handling, we were fresh after spending even a whole day with the car.
Old 20th October 2009, 20:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Rehan - i must say - a brilliant review. Recent review from GTO,you and Tanveer are really much better than all the auto mag ones. And some good innovation with that animated GIF to show boot space

I like this car. If Nissan and manage to make it here, there by knocking of a couple of lacs and increase their presence in service - this should get much better market response.
Old 20th October 2009, 20:22   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

No Low/High gear range?
Old 20th October 2009, 21:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

A brilliant softroader that is priced much higher than what it should be, just like CRV and GV. I guess unfavorable exchange rates vis a vis Yen and the fact that they are CBU has taken a toll on their sales.

Brilliant review. Just like several others, I think animated GIF is really cool. In the comparison pic with CRV, 6 spoke alloys of X-Trail look much better than those of CRV.

What's missing IMO in some of these vehicles which cost around 30 for AT versions, is a good in-dash satnav. Ford has done a sorta first in 20L price segment to offer that and I hope more manufacturers start offering that.
Old 20th October 2009, 21:05   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
No Low/High gear range?
No Low range. Only 4WD with Lock.
Old 21st October 2009, 10:31   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Another interesting point a member brought up in another Nissan thread was the fact that there are no Nissan advertisements around. "No ads = no sales" was his quote, which is very true. Not too many people even know Nissan has a presence in India. However, i guess that is changing, along with a couple of large X-Trail billboards coming up in major cities.
Nissan's biggest challenge. My brother-in-law (a premium car owner himself) didn't even know Nissan sells cars in India!! They have pretty much slept through their initial years in our market. NOW, they need to focus on building their brand + expanding the dealership network.

I do hope they can pull it off in the coming years, as Nissan builds some really neat cars (including the GT-R ).
Old 23rd October 2009, 17:36   #41
BHPian

glad to not see the speedo on the center of the dash! why don't they include an amp and sub woofer with the music system?? i would love a car with a good system rather than an average one for 20l+ cars
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:34   #42
BHPian

Wonderful wonderful stuff. All those reports on Automags and their(Indian) TV shows just don't even hold a candle to this comprehensive review. Kudos to Rehaan and team.

If Nissan can work on localizing the parts then the price will surely come down. But somehow it looks like Nissan is not that serious about their Indian presence.
Now waiting for the Mitsu Outlander review .
Old 24th October 2009, 19:51   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
glad to not see the speedo on the center of the dash!
You can say that again. I'm not particularly big on change for the heck of change. What's wrong with keeping the speedo right in front of the driver?

Quote:
why don't they include an amp and sub woofer with the music system??
Hey, I was happy with the sound quality. Main grouse was no AUX / USB input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
If Nissan can work on localizing the parts then the price will surely come down.
True. They need to localise to extend the market for this soft-roader.
Old 24th October 2009, 20:28   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You can say that again. I'm not particularly big on change for the heck of change. What's wrong with keeping the speedo right in front of the driver?
Maybe the advancements in robotics (esp. six-arm robots) reduce the savings of a center-mount console in a mixed assembly line where both RHD and LHD vehicles are being assembled.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 24th October 2009 at 20:32.
Old 24th October 2009, 22:40   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
Maybe the advancements in robotics (esp. six-arm robots) reduce the savings of a center-mount console in a mixed assembly line where both RHD and LHD vehicles are being assembled.
In addition,symmetrical dash design with centrally mounted instrument cluster will also bring down the cost of tool and dies.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks