Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2014, 16:29   #1546
BHPian

Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
I have had 4 breakdowns (not 1 not 2 but yeah ... 4 ) whereby i was left high and dry in middle of the road..
Well, its strange that it had 4 breakdowns !! However, in addition to all the plus points that you have mentioned, one you forgot to mention was the excellent braking and straight line stability Manza offered. I am telling this inspite of driving some of the big German names in Germany !!

Manza was fantastic at high speeds and could even touch upto 160 km/hr and still hold its own in terms of stability !! Sad that such a car ended up with such sales !! It basically did not have anything lacking except probably the shoddy wheel caps in non alloy models and as I have said before a little better plastics. But, in terms of the mechanicals it was one great piece of machine !!
power ranger is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 16:45   #1547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
Well, its strange that it had 4 breakdowns !! However, in addition to all the plus points that you have mentioned, one you forgot to mention was the excellent braking and straight line stability Manza offered. I am telling this inspite of driving some of the big German names in Germany !!

Manza was fantastic at high speeds and could even touch upto 160 km/hr and still hold its own in terms of stability !! Sad that such a car ended up with such sales !! It basically did not have anything lacking except probably the shoddy wheel caps in non alloy models and as I have said before a little better plastics. But, in terms of the mechanical s it was one great piece of machine !!
yes 4 breakdowns
first)4-5th month of ownership : Drive belt auto tentioner wheel gone kaput. The spring that gives tention to the drive belt had lost it's tention.
Second)EGR valve error(not a breakdown but engine dying down ..which rectified by itself after 10-minutes and never came back. came to know about it next day when the carwas sent to service centre for check.) This again was in the 1st year of purchase
third)Stoplight (brakelight) switch malfunction due to which the engine was dying down again and again. this was second year of ownership
Fourth)Some loose contact in starter assembly which was causing blank response to ignition. this was again i guess in 2nd year of ownership.

All the 4 times the response from breakdown department was prompt.
All the 4 times the service centers involved returned the car same day.

And yes .. i forgot to mention the confidence inspiring braking of the manza in the plus points i mentioned so thanks for pointing out.

Have to mention my previous car was a swift vxi which rattled like anything in 3rd year of ownership whereas my manza is still so intact in 4th year and nearing double the kms that i had on the swift.
manza is definately better built than the Marutis i owned previously.

Last edited by madhu33 : 4th December 2014 at 16:58.
madhu33 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 18:07   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post

Manza was fantastic at high speeds and could even touch upto 160 km/hr and still hold its own in terms of stability !! Sad that such a car ended up with such sales !! It basically did not have anything lacking except probably the shoddy wheel caps in non alloy models and as I have said before a little better plastics. But, in terms of the mechanicals it was one great piece of machine !!
Power Ranger,

I completely agree on its stability and performance. I have recently just pushed my beauty to 160 albeit for a short duration and I felt she had more. My wife in the rear seat had no clue that I was doing 160 and also the car was rock steady.

I have already in my ownership review brought out the braking ability of the Manza!

She is a beauty alright and I completely adore her!
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 18:49   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Power Ranger,

I completely agree on its stability and performance. I have recently just pushed my beauty to 160 albeit for a short duration and I felt she had more. My wife in the rear seat had no clue that I was doing 160 and also the car was rock steady.

I have already in my ownership review brought out the braking ability of the Manza!

She is a beauty alright and I completely adore her!
Very true. The highest speed that my manza has done is 155kmph. It was amazingly planted to the road at that speed. Indeed very stable. I was really impressed
Old 4th December 2014, 19:31   #1550
BHPian

Quote:

All the 4 times the response from breakdown department was prompt.
All the 4 times the service centers involved returned the car same day.

And yes .. i forgot to mention the confidence inspiring braking of the manza in the plus points i mentioned so thanks for pointing out.

Have to mention my previous car was a swift vxi which rattled like anything in 3rd year of ownership whereas my manza is still so intact in 4th year and nearing double the kms that i had on the swift.
manza is definately better built than the Marutis i owned previously.
Same story here.I had 5 Break downs in my Manza (currently sold) all are clutch failures.
1st Clutch gave away with around 19K kms on ODO on the way to chennai from bangalore, was stranded in Vellore, luckily it was day time, was able to tow it to nearest service center and get a bus to chennai
2nd clutch gave away in around 26K kilometers when i hit a pothole in ORR, Bangalore.happened around 1AM in the night.Thought the suspension broke but the bill said clutch plate was changed
3rd Clutch gave away in approximately 31K kilometers again in evening when returning to bangalore from chennai around HSR layout area in bangalore
4th Clutch gave away in approx 33K kilometers. No reason specified whatsoever by the service center guys,they just said if you want the vehicle in running condition, change the clutch pay 7.5K and take it.
5th Clutch gave away in around 42K kilometers again while returning from a long drive to bangalore at around 10 in the night in marathahalli area.
the 6th clutch lasted till i sold the car with around 60K kms on the ODO.

All the times the response from Tata was excellent, didn't have to wait more than 1 hr. Was always towed to the nearest service center at free of cost.
Had the sell the car due to reliability issues and very very poor experience with TASS. It was a saffire Aura ABS model and even today i miss the manza's breaking ability in Duster AWD. Amazing vehicle with amazing stability only to be let down by poor quality of parts and service from Tata.
Old 5th December 2014, 09:00   #1551
BHPian

It's very surprising to hear of so many stories of Manza breakdowns. In my five years of ownership, the car has given engine malfunction lights or error lights multiple times (glow plugs going bust couple of times and the water in diesel sensor going bust once) but never a breakdown. We've even taken it off roading (yeah, I'm stupid). She's never failed to get us home safely.

Were we lucky? I'd love to hear from all of you. Admins, do start a poll if you feel it merits it.
Old 5th December 2014, 11:55   #1552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
It's very surprising to hear of so many stories of Manza breakdowns. In my five years of ownership, the car has given engine malfunction lights or error lights multiple times (glow plugs going bust couple of times and the water in diesel sensor going bust once) but never a breakdown. We've even taken it off roading (yeah, I'm stupid). She's never failed to get us home safely.

Were we lucky? I'd love to hear from all of you. Admins, do start a poll if you feel it merits it.
That was just the breakdown list
Then I had coolant issues - Coolant vanishing in thin air, repeated attempts by Service center and changing the whole assembly also didn't solve the issue
All 4 doors Power window switch went kaput in succession over a period of 6 months [in 3rd year though]
Softtouch plastic wearing off from steering wheel and dashboards.
If you want the service center stories will write in a separate thread
I loved the Zest , driving quality and Manza like feel, but one long and strong look at the past made be move away from the Tata Showroom
Old 5th December 2014, 13:02   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post
Then I had coolant issues - Coolant vanishing in thin air. All 4 doors Power window switch went kaput in succession over a period of 6 months [in 3rd year though]
Ah, I had the coolant tank burst once in traffic (replaced under warranty). It was driven straight to SVC since there was enough coolant left. So I'd not counted that as a breakdown.

Yeah, all the power window switches went too, but were replaced under warranty.

Last edited by anilp : 5th December 2014 at 13:05.
Old 5th December 2014, 15:11   #1554
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Is Tata Motors going to pull the plug on the Manza?

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0201192_1.html

Quote:
A senior executive at Tata Motors' Ranjangaon plant in Pune, where the Manza is manufactured, said: "Production of the Manza has gone down significantly. It is produced intermittently, with little demand from dealers. Though production has not fully stopped, it is moving in that direction and a further output drop is expected."
A Mumbai-based Tata dealer said, "There is no demand for the Manza at present. Discounts on the car had to be increased. New inventory will bring more pressure on us to liquidate those if the model is phased out anytime soon,"
Old 8th December 2014, 06:17   #1555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post

I have in my now 7 years of being a Tata Car owner ( 5 with Tata Indica DLS Turbo and now the Club Class Manza ) have been extremely fortunate. I read about other owners having problems but I have had no problems not once has my Tata vehicle broken down or left me stranded and I do take the high road often. In the 18 Months of my Club Class Manza i have already done 35000 kms. I simply love this babe what a car! Given a choice I would buy the Manza again! Sad to hear it being phased out but well I am sure Tata will replace it with an even better product!
shashi63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2014, 23:24   #1556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Is Tata Motors going to pull the plug on the Manza?

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0201192_1.html
Does somebody have any reliable info on this?
joju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2014, 14:51   #1557
Senior - BHPian

As of now no - the car stays in business because of the inventory overhang at the plant. The vendors have been asked for stop-supply of component until further advised.

Tata's are doing consolidation of its manufacturing facility in Maharashtra and Gujarat. Some of the recent actions:

- Reduction in number of vendors for same component supply in order to beef up the consistency and reliability along with better quality control.

- Focus on Zest production to meet the demand and controlled production of other models to reduce stockyard inventory of manufactured cars.

The year end plant shut down is round the corner and the company will try to fill up gaps when the plants resume operations at all locations.

Pulling the plug will happen post consultation with regional sales offices and pending inventory with Dealers. Tata's facilitate transfer of unsold inventory to dealers who are able to liquidate the unsold assets.

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 11th December 2014 at 14:54.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:17   #1558
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's incredible, the Manza sold a pitiful 123 units last month. Not that April 2014 was any better. The numbers were even lesser last year (IIRC, about 70).

Trust Tata to finish off a competent product in 5 years.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2015, 15:29   #1559
BHPian

Whatever be the faith . I can tell you now while completing 4th year,
It has been serving me quite well.
Driving it to Ganpatipule right now.

The sales number mentioned by GTO is a real pity.
Old 26th May 2015, 13:43   #1560
BHPian

Quoting my post from the other thread for the benefit of fellow Manza owners
looking at changing the tyres:

Quote:
Driving the Manza for 4 years .-56000kms done so far
Yesterday have switched the tyres to Goodyear Duraplus 185-60 R15.
Cost Rs 4150/-
(per tyre including new valves , fitting alignment and balancing + weights. )
Tyre Shop : Straighline - Mr Trevor -Santacruz Mumbai

1)1st 18000 kms were on bridgstones b250 185 60 15.
Had side wall cuts on 3 tyres and was forced to change

2)18000kms to 56000kms were on Yokohama c drives
195 -60 r15.
(rs5250/- per tyre)
silent ,
soft and bigger sidewall meant better ride quality
slightly more body roll.
slightly better looks (occupied the wheel well space slightly better)

3)on last sunday , on NH17, had damaged sidewall of 2 tyres(big bubbles)
was already fed up of punctures on 38000kms old c drives.
So switched to Good Year Dura plus @ 4150/- per tyre
Size of tyre back to 185-60-R15
(inclusions mentioned above)
Done 50 kmson them so far
Initial impressions
A)Noisy
B)Cannot match up to the ride quality of the c drives 195-60 R15.
but still the ride ride quality is more or less 'Ok'
C)I was used to c drive 195 60 15 looks .
So these GyDp 185-60 R15 looks slightly bad in comparison
D)yet to test the braking at high speeds. City speed braking is at par with the C drives.
E)Steering feels 10-15% lighter. But there was a certain vagueness at center position that had crept in
off late with the c drives which seems to have reduced now for good.

More or less i feel the GYDPs are at par or better then the stock bridgstone b250s which were there on the new car from the factory.
But don't expect them to feel like Yoko C drives.

Hope this helps.

Most Viewed