Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2015, 16:09   #1591
BHPian

Nope the clock seems to be working but the MID is blank and when it comes on.. The average is reset and its defaulted to the instantaneous mode. Any thoughts? Is the ecu resetting or something?
Old 17th August 2015, 20:04   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
Nope the clock seems to be working but the MID is blank and when it comes on.. The average is reset and its defaulted to the instantaneous mode. Any thoughts? Is the ecu resetting or something?
When the MID is on are you able to switch over to INST mode ? If you are and it displays current consumption I doubt it's ECU or any of related sensors. Check electricals between battery and MID (fuses,wires, connnectors)

It could also be a faulty eeprom ( or whatever they use in MID to store persistent data like avg consumption). You might have to replace the MID if that's the case.

Last edited by sathish81 : 17th August 2015 at 20:14.
Old 17th August 2015, 21:12   #1593
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions and responses. I will request the service center to check up next time
Old 4th September 2015, 14:00   #1594
BANNED

Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Smaller yet significant things:
May be you should patent this. This is similar to 'One more thing' from legendary 'Stevenotes.'
Old 5th September 2015, 21:45   #1595
BHPian

At the latest service, I was told that there's a "slight oil leak" from the front suspensions. On enquiry I was told that I can run it for some time more. A replacement of shock absorbers is apparently the only remedy. Car has crossed 70000 kms. It will be great to know how you folks have been dealing with such issues.
Old 6th September 2015, 04:17   #1596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
At the latest service, I was told that there's a "slight oil leak" from the front suspensions. On enquiry I was told that I can run it for some time more. A replacement of shock absorbers is apparently the only remedy. Car has crossed 70000 kms. It will be great to know how you folks have been dealing with such issues.
70k kms is quite good suspension life. The service manual will have it marked in the part that says you're supposed to "check & replace if necessary ".

Culprits are our roads actually. Oftentimes I've come across people with Toyota's changing them at 50-55k their cars.

Driving very carefully over humps & avoiding potholes completely definitely helps, but IMO better not to get distracted with those & just drive abit carefully.
Old 6th September 2015, 14:15   #1597
BHPian

I hope this is the right thread for the forum.

I have a MAJOR problem with my Manza. (link to Ownership Thread)

It's an extremely well maintained car - with even a fog lamp bulb being changed only at Authorized - Concorde Motors, Worli.
Smallest scratch - treated.
GOLD AMC till 50,000 kms.

Current odo - is 56771 kms.

Here's the thing.

2 days ago - around 11 pm - on an otherwise empty stretch of road - with nothing obviously suspicious visible -

suddenly I hear a GRATING sound - coming from the engine. Metal grating.
Goes away on acceleration - comes up on pressing the clutch.

NO LIGHTS blinking. No other issue. No smoke. No fumes. Nothing.

While I am still trying to figure out what is happening - the car travels another 150 to 200 meters.
& suddenly - no response to acceleration - just more grating sound.

By then I had already shifted to the left side of the road and parked it - popped the bonnet.
What do I see ...

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20150904_171954.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20150904_171958.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20150904_172001.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img_20150904_172008.jpg

Okay - so the belt has slipped off - broken.
Happens maybe. Wear and tear? Age? Maybe.
So be it.

I immediately call - Javed Shaikh (SA) from Concorde Motors, Worli - who attended my call even at that late hour.
He said - no problem. it's a 30 minute job to change the belt.
Please get to car towed to the workshop. We will do it tomorrow itself.

Fair enough I though. No big deal. Called up the Tata 24 x 7 helpline & roadside assistance.
All good. All courteous. Within 20 minutes we had a tow truck. Connected through the front bumper - towed to Worli. All fine. No issues.

The horror story begins the next day -
Javed calls - he asks - what exactly happened? Did you hit something?
I said - no - not in the least. Why?

"Sir - the engine has broken off from the mount and tilted to 1 side. The belt has broken. The pulley has eaten into the air pipe - the AC compressor might be damaged too. & this is just preliminary report - what can be seen."

My heart stopped for a moment. I did not know what to think or react. How did this happen? How can this happen? What does this mean?
Curtains for my beloved ?

I rushed to Concorde - everyone involved immediately came to show me around.
Javed, Kavishwar from the body shop, guys from the insurance - showed me things in detail.
Gladly let me click pics. Shared theirs too.

2 things:
1. They all unanimously agreed - that there is NO SIGN of any damage. Any rock hitting. Nothing. No cause found.
&
2. They all could not answer the simple question - why did this happen?! How - does a iron mounting (die cast metal) just snap off?

Pictures attached.

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img20150904wa0036.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img20150904wa0037.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img20150904wa0038.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img20150904wa0039.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img20150904wa0040.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img20150904wa0041.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img20150904wa0042.jpg

Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-img20150904wa0043.jpg

My question to everyone here at the community is this:

1. Is this possible? Does this happen? This easily? For a 56771 kms run car? Immaculately maintained?

2. If yes, why? What is the cause? Irrespective of who foots the bill, my concern lies in the why and how? Those are the crucial answers - even to convert it to a 'learning experience' (in hindsight - right now the entire family is traumatized - one of our family members is in the ICU at Concorde - so that's our state)

3. What is the right way forward? Repair and then ... ? Future?

4. Is this a known issue? With Manza? With Tata? They are known for robust build and thick metal, right?

Any and every advice will be appreciated.

Thank you !
Dr.Suraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 14:44   #1598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
"Sir - the engine has broken off from the mount and tilted to 1 side. The belt has broken. The pulley has eaten into the air pipe - the AC compressor might be damaged too. & this is just preliminary report - what can be seen."

My heart stopped for a moment. I did not know what to think or react. How did this happen? How can this happen? What does this mean?
Curtains for my beloved ?
This is indeed very shocking to say the least. I am feeling very sorry for your Manza. An engine mount is not a part, which is subjected to fatigue stress, like say a belt, gear or pulley. It is a structural part. Not sure about its material science, whether it is forged or cast. However it can break off only in case of an accident or the car taking a nasty hit (pot-hole, bump etc) or some flying rock/ stone hitting hard on the engine underside. But as per you if nothing that sort has happened in the recent past, then this surely can be attributed to a manufacturing defect. Anyway lets wait for the TASC to come out with further findings and root cause analysis.

Hope your Manza gets well soon and becomes roadworthy is the least possible time.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 17:23   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
This is indeed very shocking to say the least. I am feeling very sorry for your Manza. An engine mount is not a part, which is subjected to fatigue stress, like say a belt, gear or pulley. It is a structural part. Not sure about its material science, whether it is forged or cast. However it can break off only in case of an accident or the car taking a nasty hit (pot-hole, bump etc) or some flying rock/ stone hitting hard on the engine underside. But as per you if nothing that sort has happened in the recent past, then this surely can be attributed to a manufacturing defect. Anyway lets wait for the TASC to come out with further findings and root cause analysis.

Hope your Manza gets well soon and becomes roadworthy is the least possible time.
Not just as per me, the guys at Concorde could not find any such reason either.
Which is the main problem here.
Not who will bear the cost of repairs.

But HOW and WHY did it happen.

We are all hoping for him to come back home soon.
But - what does the future hold?
How stable or safe is this car from here on?
What other issues can crop up related to the engine?
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 17:48   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Looking at last 2 pictures, I think you are referring to A mount getting loose? From the pics it does not seem to be broken, but seems like the screws are either removed or have gone loose and came off. Was there any work done in recent past during which ASC would have loosened the A mount screws?

EDIT - just read on your ownership thread that you have glow plug failures and 1 had to be removed by opening engine head. ASC must have removed / loosen A mount to do that repair. My sensible guess is that they missed to tighten it properly. As I mentioned from the last 2 pics it seems mount is not broken, but it's missing screws which will hold it in place!

Last edited by amit1234singla : 12th September 2015 at 17:53.
amit1234singla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2015, 19:15   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
EDIT - just read on your ownership thread that you have glow plug failures and 1 had to be removed by opening engine head. ASC must have removed / loosen A mount to do that repair. My sensible guess is that they missed to tighten it properly. As I mentioned from the last 2 pics it seems mount is not broken, but it's missing screws which will hold it in place!
Thank you for your reply Amit!
your post on the tires thread helped me too.

Precisely the question that has been haunting us. That this looks more and more like there has been something wrong at their end when they last kept the car for more than 10 days whilst trying to fix the glow plug issue.
Hence everyone is tight lipped. There is no damage to the car from any side. & no one has a clear theory on why this happened - suddenly.

Big thanks to another BHPian @ madhu33 - who called me up and calmed my nerves, shared a lot of knowledge too.
He proposed that maybe this had developed a crack when the oil sump was hit (9 months ago) - which escaped unnoticed by TASS and lead to this debacle.

I wish to be fair on the forum and I am not here to point any fingers.

But yes, now here are 2 plausible theories.
It's all about answers as of now.

Because my boy came back home last Thursday.
Insurance claim was rejected.
Concorde swiftly arranged the parts.
Work was done within 2 days & I got the Manza home.
Before taking delivery from Concorde - I took the SA (Javed) for a drive with me. Tried the steering and every bit of the car. Engine in stop & go traffic. Engine at 135-140 kmph too. Not a single issue or complaint. Everything seemed fine.
Cleared the bill: ~ 41k Rs.
Seems to be doing perfectly fine as of now.

But the question lingers ...

Last edited by Dr.Suraj : 13th September 2015 at 19:20. Reason: Spellcheck.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2015, 21:13   #1602
BHPian

Definitely something to watch out for. Have a 2011 Manza Qjet going in for 70k service this week. I am thinking, oil change, oil filter (?), don't need to change the air filter since I changed it myself recently when I found it clogged on an out of station trip to the ghats and the car wasn't climbing, maybe brake pad cleaning, fuel filter (?). Does that sum up the list? Or have I missed something ?
Old 8th November 2015, 14:00   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your reply Amit!
your post on the tires thread helped me too.

Precisely the question that has been haunting us. That this looks more and more like there has been something wrong at their end when they last kept the car for more than 10 days whilst trying to fix the glow plug issue.
Hence everyone is tight lipped. There is no damage to the car from any side. & no one has a clear theory on why this happened - suddenly.

Big thanks to another BHPian @ madhu33 - who called me up and calmed my nerves, shared a lot of knowledge too.
He proposed that maybe this had developed a crack when the oil sump was hit (9 months ago) - which escaped unnoticed by TASS and lead to this debacle.

I wish to be fair on the forum and I am not here to point any fingers.

But yes, now here are 2 plausible theories.
It's all about answers as of now.

Because my boy came back home last Thursday.
Insurance claim was rejected.
Concorde swiftly arranged the parts.
Work was done within 2 days & I got the Manza home.
Before taking delivery from Concorde - I took the SA (Javed) for a drive with me. Tried the steering and every bit of the car. Engine in stop & go traffic. Engine at 135-140 kmph too. Not a single issue or complaint. Everything seemed fine.
Cleared the bill: ~ 41k Rs.
Seems to be doing perfectly fine as of now.

But the question lingers ...
Good Lord, your Manza has come back good ! I'd missed reading this thread & hence did not know your agony earlier.

I too own a Manza & sympathies with you completely on this. Mine has done 1.15 lac kms on a Petrol one. I have also had my fair share of problems with Manza after having maintained it impeccably, like multiple rack issues (replacements) & timing belt issue (my own doing/ignorance).

But your case appears to be the strangest one & luckily got resolved in time. Painfully though, 41k is a huge sum.

I buy Amit's point here that the screws had been loose & came off & made the engine mount come off & tilt & cause all sorts of damage. Cannot happen unless someone had been careless the last time the vehicle was serviced.
I do not want to point fingers at this stage but i know Concorde Worli very well & stopped going to them after they forfeited my warranty for failing to comply with replacement of oil after 10k kms. When i bought Manza in 2010, the directive was to " change the oil after 20k". Any changes in this rule should have been communicated to me as i was doing all kinds of services at Worli only. They failed to do that & i never went to them afterwords ( after 30k kms). I have done all my servicing post that with George Auto, Thane & later at Future Cars, Thane & i have been served extremely well. I know Javed Shaikh well & he's a good guy.

I also agree with Madhu33's point when he says that an earlier crack would have gone unnoticed by the TASS further proves my theory of the kind of sloppiness that prevails at Concorde Worli.( They are among the busiest of Tata service centers in Mumbai & surroundings)

That said, it's very unfortunate for you to suffer this fate for a beautiful car like Manza. It's a fantastic machine, no doubt on that at all. Although i have another vehicle " Verna", but yet, whenever i sit behind the wheel of Manza, it automatically brings a smile to my face.

Good luck & have a safe drive !
Old 7th December 2015, 21:44   #1604
BHPian

Today while driving in outer ring road at 100kph I experienced sudden loss of power. There was a pop sound and engine check light came on after that. The engine could not rev beyond 2.5 -3k rpm in idle. I drove home without stopping as the car was still able to do 80kph in 5th gear (though pressing the accelator did not give any response after this speed). Came home - turned off the car and turned back on after sometime, now the car revs to 4000 rpm.However, engine check light is still on. Can someone advise what the issue could be ? ( if I have to hazard a guess it looks like some fuel supply or air intake issue)

I have been driving through some flooded areas helping out with flood relief work but water level was never more than 1/4th of wheel. Could this have led to this issue?

Last edited by sathish81 : 7th December 2015 at 21:46.
Old 9th December 2015, 18:51   #1605
BHPian

Turned out to be an issue with turbo. It seems turbo has jammed due to overspin causing the engine to go to "limp mode". They have cleaned the turbo. If this happens again the only option is replacing the turbo
sathish81 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks