Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2015, 17:57   #1606
BHPian

Re: Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review

So the Manza+Vista chapter closes...Tata has ceased their production, link to the Team Bhp article is http://www.team-bhp.com/news/tata-ma...out-production. I bought my Manza in 2010 and have clocked around 90K KMs and was looking for a change. Was gravitating towards the Zest AMT, but will now do a rethink as the Zest also may go out of production after another 5years. In Nov15 it sold just 1600 units. The resale of my Manza has already taken a nosedive, I'll be lucky to get anything over 2Lacs for it!
windiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 12:08   #1607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
So the Manza+Vista chapter closes...Tata has ceased their production, link to the Team Bhp article is http://www.team-bhp.com/news/tata-ma...out-production. I bought my Manza in 2010 and have clocked around 90K KMs and was looking for a change. Was gravitating towards the Zest AMT, but will now do a rethink as the Zest also may go out of production after another 5years. In Nov15 it sold just 1600 units. The resale of my Manza has already taken a nosedive, I'll be lucky to get anything over 2Lacs for it!
Ditto ! Couldn't agree more with you on this !

Sad for such a beautiful & strong machine to take a beating like this. Manza is surely a workhorse type of a vehicle but consumers seem to have an allergy for Tata Vehicles understandably so on the hearsay of horrible ASS. But that's not the true fact you & I know, at least i didn't have any issue of ASS & have a feeling for them.

Point is, despite such a low & trickling sales volume, the Tata ASS hold on to their own & do not lose their dignity & are there for help anytime.

I'd also bought my vehicle in 2010 & after a satisfying 115000 kms, am struggling to get a buyer @ my price here.
Old 13th December 2015, 13:18   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh Bhatt View Post
Ditto ! Couldn't agree more with you on this !

Sad for such a beautiful & strong machine to take a beating like this. Manza is surely a workhorse type of a vehicle but consumers seem to have an allergy for Tata Vehicles understandably so on the hearsay of horrible ASS. But that's not the true fact you & I know, at least i didn't have any issue of ASS & have a feeling for them.

Point is, despite such a low & trickling sales volume, the Tata ASS hold on to their own & do not lose their dignity & are there for help anytime.

I'd also bought my vehicle in 2010 & after a satisfying 115000 kms, am struggling to get a buyer @ my price here.
Even I am very sad to see Manza go off production. It has great 2nd row space. I have used mine for 1.1 lac kms and still its nice to drive (yes, there are little rattles here and there). Wanted to change the car last month but postponed due to personal reasons. Now again I am thinking seriously about changing as I am not sure about the spare parts, services and resale after some time.

One month back i was offered around 2.3 lac... Now i think it will be still low.

The only issue i have is the low mileage i have been getting lately. I am getting around 10 to 10kmpl in Bangalore traffic. Anyone experienced low mileage on their Manza?

Last edited by aah78 : 5th March 2019 at 23:16. Reason: Post fxied - readability.
Old 13th December 2015, 20:18   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhil@Bengaluru View Post
Even i am very sad to see Manza go off production.

The only issue i have is the low mileage i have been getting lately. I am getting around 10 to 10kmpl in Bangalore traffic. Anyone experienced low mileage on their Manza?
Yes Bro, that's the issue with Manza. I have been getting sub 10 kmpl for a Safire Engine in Mumbai traffic.

But I have an opinion, if you are a spirited driver, Manza responds to your demands & the FE gets beaten here, you become more & more confident about the car as the breaking is absolutely legendary. If your driving is steady & if you conform to a 2.5-3k rpm range, Manza will return you a FE of 11-12 on a city-highway combination commute as I found out recently after I altered my style a little bit.
I admit Bangalore traffic could be worse to allow you to experiment!

Last edited by aah78 : 5th March 2019 at 23:15. Reason: Post fixed, quote fixed.
Old 21st December 2015, 12:56   #1610
BHPian

Hi guys, may I know when to replace the timing chain for a Manza QJD? Mine is at 60K and I remember the TASS adviser mentioning that it has to be replaced at 60K. But I don't see such a replacement mentioned anywhere in the service manual for QJD. Was this an advisory from TATA later on?
Old 21st December 2015, 12:58   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
Hi guys, may I know when to replace the timing chain for a Manza QJD? Mine is at 60K and I remember the TASS adviser mentioning that it has to be replaced at 60K. But I don't see such a replacement mentioned anywhere in the service manual for QJD. Was this an advisory from TATA later on?
The timing chain is to be replaced at 60 k kms technically. This change was an update from FIAT QJD 90 engines. You can find details on Fiat Linea Threads
1.2TSI7DSG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2016, 23:10   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Bro, you better change the timing belt if it's advised so by the TASS guy.

I have a petrol Manza & learnt the hard way when the timing belt had gone kaput & the car then had to be towed back & all the valves had to be replaced as they had gotten bent due to the damage.

I had driven till 105000 kms & was generally advised but i ignored the request & all of a sudden the car went cold. Had to spend 40k.

Compared to this sum, the cost of changing the timing belt would be peanuts.
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 17:41   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Bro, you better change the timing belt if it's advised so by the TASS guy.
Sure Nagesh, will get it changed soon. My FNG was advising not to change it till 1L KM. But after hearing your story I will change it. TASS was asking me to take their Value Care AMC plan before replacing the timing chain. He was saying that it will cost way less than paying for chain replacement. Need to ask him for more details on that though.
sreerknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 23:10   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For many cars, the timing belt replacement interval in 60000 miles (96000 km) and not 60000 km. Please check the car manual.

Secondly, the timing belt can last past the recommended interval. But you would also be scared if it can break anytime, even before the replacement interval. So, it is better to inspect the timing belt. This can be done usually by removing a metal or plastic cover.

If the belt is needing replacement, you will see cracks or bent-marks on it. Like this:

A belt not needing replacement will not have such marks or cracks.

If the belt is in good condition, you have choice to postpone the replacement subject to regular periodic inspection. It is better to avoid the tension of belt breakage hanging over your head. But if the belt is in good shape, at least you can make that quick urgent trip before replacing.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 13th January 2016 at 23:15.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 01:01   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Bro, that's the issue with Manza. I have been getting sub 10 kmpl for a Safire Engine in Mumbai traffic.

But i have an opinion, if you are a spirited driver, Manza responds to your demands & the FE gets beaten here, you become more & more confident about the car as the breaking is absolutely legendary. If your driving is steady & if you conform to a 2.5-3k rpm range, Manza will return you a FE of 11-12 on a city-highway combination commute as i found out recently after i altered my style a little bit.

I admit Bangalore traffic could be worse to allow you to experiment !
I am a light footed driver and my petrol manza gives about 11.5 in city conditions.
Viper21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 22:50   #1616
BHPian

Quote:

But i have an opinion, if you are a spirited driver, Manza responds to your demands & the FE gets beaten here, you become more & more confident about the car as the breaking is absolutely legendary. If your driving is steady & if you conform to a 2.5-3k rpm range, Manza will return you a FE of 11-12 on a city-highway combination commute as i found out recently after i altered my style a little bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper21 View Post
I am a light footed driver and my petrol manza gives about 11.5 in city conditions.
If you mix revving the engine sometimes when you feel like it and driving very sedately at other times, YMMV between 10 and 12. Sub-10 on a regular basis might be lower than expected though. This data is for about 1300km driven over the past one month in typical NCR traffic. Purely inside the city I can barely cross 11.

Name:  IMG_6111.PNG
Views: 2688
Size:  194.1 KB

Last edited by Tanmay K : 14th January 2016 at 22:57.
Tanmay K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2016, 17:43   #1617
BHPian

Like all good things in life comes to an end, it had to be with the Manza too.
After 64000 kms of blissful ownership experience sold my 2011- Manza Aura Abs Qjet for 3 lakh which in my mind isn't exactly a bad resale value.

I had my own reasons to upgrade to the Xuv 500.
Missing the Legendary braking and ride quality already.

I sincerely feel that these new gen Tata cars will slowly correct all the damaged reputation of Tata Motors.

I fail to understand the low numbers on sales charts.
Somehow Tata needs 1 blockbuster model in the line up which will increase the footfall in the showrooms thereby improving the sales of other competent models as well.

Sadly though i don't see it happening soon. May be it can be the Zica if launched at Hyundai Eon - Renault Kwid price range.

Thanks to fellow teambhpian Dr Suraj who has been extremely helpful last few days while i was off the radar.

Last edited by madhu33 : 25th January 2016 at 17:51.
madhu33 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2016, 13:15   #1618
BHPian

Any idea what may be the tentative burn on wallet for the below given repairs.

My 2009 Manza Aura ABS Quadrajet has completed 1.14lac kms.

1.Front two shock absorber replacement. (Was told sbout shocks replacement in earlier servicing but postponed)
2.Clutch replacement /overhauling. (vehicle is not smooth and lot of jerk in 1st and 2nd gear which was not present earlier)
3.All glow plugs replacement (have been getting glow plug warnung from few days)
4.Turbo cleaning (getting black smoke when ever turbo kicks in, so suspecting cleaning should help)
Old 27th January 2016, 13:21   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
1.Front two shock absorber replacement. (Was told sbout shocks replacement in earlier servicing but postponed)
Around 11000/- for the 2 struts and other pares and labour around 5000/-
Quote:
2.Clutch replacement /overhauling. (vehicle is not smooth and lot of jerk in 1st and 2nd gear which was not present earlier)
if only the clutch plate is changed it will be around 8500/- . But if they need to replace master as well as slave cylinders then the total might come to around 15000/-
Quote:
3.All glow plugs replacement (have been getting glow plug warnung from few days)
4.Turbo cleaning (getting black smoke when ever turbo kicks in, so suspecting cleaning should help)
No.3: No idea
No.4: Around 5000/-
Old 21st February 2016, 07:01   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
Around 11000/- for the 2 struts and other pares and labour around 5000/-
if only the clutch plate is changed it will be around 8500/- . But if they need to replace master as well as slave cylinders then the total might come to around 15000/-
Hi Madhu, Saw one of your post in Storm 400 review where you mentioned that your Manza had upgraded light clutch. May I know if this was done at TASS? Is it possible to place the lighter version of clutch available in Zest in Manza? Mine is a 2010 model Manza and the clutch is very very heavy. Hence the question.

Most Viewed