Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:36   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The day came when people go and book a Tata without TD and seeing the color they want on their car?
Indeed. And why not? I have seen Tata cars come of age, having driven (not owned, though) the Xeta, the Indigo and the Vista. I had a good look at the Manza, did a quick calc on what it offers and the price, was convinced of the VFM factor, and great-family-car factor, and made the decision. (That's why the endorsements from GTO and Maglev et al were so comforting.) I am sure there are others in and outside of this forum who did the same.
If this is a growing tendency (booking before TD), I presume it can be considered a certificate of TML's improvement, and people's willingness to put their trust in'em.
TML, hope you are reading.

Last edited by sumujumdar : 2nd November 2009 at 12:41.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:44   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -NUT-case View Post
please try not to use bold for your full post . It is akin to shouting at the top of your voice in forums.

Tata has entered the international scene very recently but have been in the commercial vehicle business in india for a very long time and hence as indians we automatically associate the TATA logo with commercial vehicles and that can be a turn off for some. Just by changing the logo they are not going to be not recognized as a TATA vehicle. Take for example, TATA have recently bought jaguar and landrover. Those 2 companies are instantly recognizable as a luxury brand and the jaguar logo is recognised by one and all. Would you suggest TATA change the logo of Jaguar and Landrover to the usual T . In this case it is a positive association and so they wont. Likewise they can create a unique logo for their passenger car wing which will become instantly recognized if they continue to improve like how they have done with MANZA.

Thank you for pointing that out. A rose is a rose is a rose . Silver is silver by any other name . lol
Sorry about the bold letters and they were un intentional.

Tata's LR + JAG aquisition was possible with their success of INIDICA-Indigo-Safari-Sumo etc sold with TATA's very own logo. I am sure in next few iteration of Indica-Indigo's TATAs will get respect due to their improved build quality which is evident in each iteration exercise. TATA must invest in developing an A/T gear box for their cars and focus on build quality at assembly lines rather fixing at incompetant dealerships & A.S.S.

TATA logo will be respected & appreciated with TATA cars's buld quality with its top management committment. Hyundai's were and in some places are treated like dirt. Hyundai evolved by quality committment. Indian car manufacturers needs such quality committment to gain respect. With poor build quality in their cars mere changed / seperate logo cannot help TATa.
Old 2nd November 2009, 12:57   #153
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
However that opening when the seat is folded, looks as if looking through Khandala tunnel.
Khandala tunnel, LOL! Yes, the Manza's trunk tapers toward the end in a very cave-like way. It's the non-independent rear suspension at either end thats responsible (protrudes from either end).

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
hi
Have you driven the petrol version of Manza and what is your take on it. Since my average driving distance will be 1200 to 1500km per month and once in two or three months it will be 2000 to 2500 some of my friends suggested me to take a petrol vehicle as they feel the extra one lakh that i am paying to procure a diesel vehicle will not be profitable for me.
1500 kms a month, and 2,500 in some. Please shut your eyes and opt for the diesel. Reasons highlit earlier in the same thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The day came when people go and book a Tata without TD and seeing the color they want on their car?
Well, a majority of Indian car buyers finalise the deal without TD'ing anyways (irrespective of brand)! Still, I feel every potential buyer (at the least a Team-BHPian) must take a long spin in the Manza prior to cutting a cheque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
Tata's LR + JAG aquisition was possible with their success of INIDICA-Indigo-Safari-Sumo etc sold with TATA's very own logo. I am sure in next few iteration of Indica-Indigo's TATAs will get respect due to their improved build quality which is evident in each iteration exercise.
Well said, Hari. Tata ought to be, and probably is, proud of that "T" up at the front.

Quote:
TATA must invest in developing an A/T gear box
You speak my language! Related Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 13:09   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
I wanted to test drive the petrol variant of manza also before i make my decision. Once again thank you for your wonderful review of the vehicle. Cheers.
Go for the diesel, doc, for 70K more you're getting 70% more torque and 50% more kpl from an award winning engine
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:05   #155
BHPian

As expected Superb review as always GTO. 5 stars for you . TATA has really nailed this one , if only they had dropped the "Indigo" tag
Old 2nd November 2009, 17:49   #156
BHPian

Hi All,

I have been TDing cars since last 2 months and in fact postponed my purchase decision for the Manza launch.

Few questions reagding Manza : Pls help

1. Monthly average - 1000 kms min.City traffic.With a new car it might come up to 1300 kms at max.
2. Only 2 family members but dont mind the extra space of a sedan.
3. Might go abroad intermittently for short terms 1-2 months.

Given situation 3 - is it risky to buy a diesel vehicle as it might give problems later on if left unused.

Also - FE of petrol 1.4 engine?

I TDed both and liked petrol while driving as I am not used to turbo lag of diesel vehicles and also felt diesel vehicles of Dzire/Ritz/Swift offered better drivability in city.

I had earlier Tded an Indigo diesel and totally disliked the dead steering and the huge lag.Manza diesel was much better.

Currently drive Esteem Petrol and hence I tend to compare its great pickup with any new car I TD.

TIA.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:48   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu_romil View Post
Given situation 3 - is it risky to buy a diesel vehicle as it might give problems later on if left unused.
These are modern diesel engines we're talking about sir, diesel as you may be aware is inherently more efficient (seen any petrol locomotives?). In the past they used to be noisy, leaky, smelly, shakey, rattley and s l o w, remember the Ambassadors with 1500 cc HM Diesel engines always covered in soot and marking their territory with droppings of engine oil, these are partly to be blamed for diesel antipathy amongst us desibhais . In came Turbo , then Turbo with Intercooler and finally, voila, common rail direct injection with a turbo (VGT)... and this, sir, is what the manza has. These engines are more reliable than petrol engines, last way longer, have way more torque for the same cubic capacity. So what's the downside... just a couple that I can think of, they are more expensive to put together and they're a tad heavier.
Just remember to disconnect your battery when you're going out for a few months, don't bother if its a week/ten days and you'll be just as happy as with a petrol engine. Trust me .... I'm windiesel.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:59   #158
BHPian

I was just thinking - Tata has less than a year to get the manufacturing quality and A.S.S right.
Apart from Dzire, it will also have to face off with Toyota's new sedan and the Polo Sedan - both of which come from companies celebrated for no-nonsense engineering. If Toyota and VW are able to price their respective products (like for like models with similar features) within Rs50,000 of the Manza or Dzire, then both cars, especially the Manza are in trouble straight away.

Just imagine the typical buyer in this segment- Myself for one - std IT job - some overseas exposure - some awareness/experience of brands - brand conscious.
Given a choice of Manza, Dzire, Polo and Toyota Sedan at approx same price point for similar models (engines, features), most of our class of buyers (me included though I am a big fan of Tata) would gravitate towards Toyota or VW for brand, engineering, fit and finish and various other perceptions we have about them.
Wide availability of A.S.S is not so much a concern as 90% of us drive 90% within City limits where A.S.S is available. Also, the perception that Toyota and VW wont break down thereby eliminating the perceived need for A.S.S everywhere.

Of course, everything depends on how close Toyota and VW can price their respective cars to the Manza - something that's not easy!
Old 2nd November 2009, 22:36   #159
BHPian

@prashanthyr .. That's a BIG if about the pricing . It is highly unlikely that VW and Toyota will price their sedans at sub 6 L category because they are both coming out with hatcbacks as well. Toyota is even rumored to be bringing in a innova like people mover, but smaller vehicle in the 5-6 L category. If and when the sedans are launched, they will probably compete with Honda city and its counterparts. Linea on the other hand have to be pretty scared about all this because they will be in direct competition and will have the same TATA A.S.S.
Old 3rd November 2009, 07:22   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Given a choice of Manza, Dzire, Polo and Toyota Sedan at approx same price point for similar models (engines, features), most of our class of buyers (me included though I am a big fan of Tata) would gravitate towards Toyota or VW for brand, engineering, fit and finish and various other perceptions we have about them.
Yeah you're right, but even if maruti loads up the dzire LDI to match manza base diesel spec for spec, it will overshoot manza's price by a healthy margin and there's no way VW or toyota are gonna be able to do it with thir sedans in fact their loaded hatches are going to be priced in the vicinity.
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:14   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Just remember to disconnect your battery when you're going out for a few months, don't bother if its a week/ten days and you'll be just as happy as with a petrol engine. Trust me .... I'm windiesel.
Well I did not even do that (had to leave for an overseas trip in a hurry in August) .. Not that I encourage it..After a 50-day trip , my car started in the third crank.(Tata Indica Turbo DLG 2006).How's that for reliability!
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:59   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
I was just thinking - Tata has less than a year to get the manufacturing quality and A.S.S right.
Apart from Dzire, it will also have to face off with Toyota's new sedan and

Of course, everything depends on how close Toyota and VW can price their respective cars to the Manza - something that's not easy!
Hey prashanthyr, my exact thoughts. But i will try to stay away from VW DSG gear box

If i get a Toyota sedan with 50K premimum over manza, I prefer toyota any day. At the same time, we also have hard core Maruti fans in our "IT" group
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:26   #163
BHPian

Is it true that Manza's 90bhp VGT has not been licensed to maruti or any body other than TATA, and that why SX4 has not yet been launched with it? Any gyan on this guys?
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:29   #164
Senior - BHPian

Boy, what a treat logging in after a long weekend & finding this review! Way to go GTO but then you've set your own benchmarks in reviewing!

Its good to hear that fit & finish levels are way better than the past. Now if only the trademark niggles make way for consistency. Will make us truly proud to be Indian.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:52   #165
BHPian

Awesome GTO!

Dare I say the Manza would look rather nice with larger alloys and fatter rubber?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks