Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2010, 13:05   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
1st of all what harm can it cause if you are replacing oil at every 10000km or even 5000 Km? Please let me know if you have one.
OEMs tend to go for extended oil drain because of
1) Lesser service cost. Its the Oil manufacturer that earns rather than the OEM for oil change.
2) People are also reluctant to come for servicing. So a 1.5year service interval is a triumph card.
3) There is enough stress in service centres for companies like Maruti, Hyundai, Tata, So a longer service interval is quite a relief.

With new advanced engineering to produce more power/cc there has been a lot of changes in engine. It is made to run a lot hotter for better thermal effeciency.
Air-filters with lowered resistance allows some dust particles to enter the engine that results in oil thickning.
And most importantly for fresh engines the wear particles get mixed with oil. So changing the oil after 5000Km is very important.

Not that your car will breakdown after few days if you dont do it but 700 bucks is reasonable enough to go for the change. You might also experience a .5kmpl more with the new oil for the 1st 6 months.

With old oil
1) Your additives get depleted.
2) Viscosity increases. Less FE and power
3) Oil aeration increases. Bad for engine durability

---- BOTTOMLINE-----
Forget what manufacturers say. It is always better to change oil as quick as possible. I woild reccomend 5K,15K,25K.....and so on. BE IT A SYNTHETIC OR NOT.
You points are no doubt valid and I do agree with you

A lot of this depends entirely on the driving style as well. Ideally, Synt oils are more expensive and whose molecules have been modified to enable them to work under more extreme conditions, temperature and friction, as compared to the mineral version.

Change at 5k, 15k etc is fine and acceptable, as it keeps the car smooth. A better range would be any where from 7.5 k to 10k for syntehtic and 3-5k for mineral.

But yes, if a person, on an average pushes the limits of their car by driving at prolonged higher speeds, grinding the engine, etc, they should preferably change it faster. Else, some one using it for normal city driving can defer the changes to a longer duration

With reference to harm, if there is not harm in chaging it at shorter intervals, what is the harm in delaying the change as well.

It is not just the oil that it going to keep your car smooth. I have seen people changing oil every 2k-3k kms, synthetic or mineral, but complain that they dont see any improvement. They are of the misconception that for a smoother ride, go and change the oil. But a lot depends also on various other engine dynamics as well, hence making these frequent oil changes are purely a redundant step

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 28th November 2010 at 13:06.
Old 29th November 2010, 11:49   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
What is the correct tyre pressure for both city & highway? How frequently one should monitor it?
32 psi is what manufacture recommends.

I use to fill it up with 36 psi (for better millage and less tyre noise)

I use to check the tyre pressure in every 7 days and topup if required.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:08   #1563
BHPian

May I chip in about the oil change argument ? I still think its necessary in Indian cities. Also, more importantly - the Beat certainly does not get synthetic oil. That would have cost me a lot more than 600. It is not used by the manufacturer for the first time either. I have asked and confirmed this. However I havent checked the manual - I am sure they mention the type of oil required. Could someone look it up please?

Also, I have run into another problem. The noise that had been fixed in the service is slowly returning. It had been diagnosed as a power steering component. However the mechanic was not sure if hydraulic power steering can be repaired or need to be replaced entirely (which would mean I just have to live with the noise). If its repairable (I know electronic power steerings are not so they need to be replaced and cost a bomb) ; then could someone tell me so I can pressurise these fellows to open up the steering assembly and fix it.

The noise is like something has gone loose inside. Certainly not a sound you enjoy for a 6 month old car.
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:36   #1564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
^

PS: The first change should be around 1,500-2,000 kms precisely for the reason given by you.
Agreed. Mind you, in my case this was the absolute first one so I insisted on it though the car is currently at 2700 kms. The next one would probably be at 10k. So I think the 7k mark that you mentioned is alright ; but I wouldn't stick to it if I had a service sooner / later. I have found that its easier to get everything done the same day when the car is away , I never get the time later or sooner. But I am going to try to stick to a 6 month time frame. Mumbai's roads necessitate going to the garage for tightening up things / paint touch-ups in that time in any case. Especially with my commute.

Could someone please advice if I would be able to ask the company for a power steering fix / replacement since the car has been in no accident and the noise is continuing?
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:51   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Of course!

You are entitled to a trouble free car. Your vehicle is still under warranty. Ask them to open it up and check it. If it is repairable, you can go ahead and give it a shot. Else, you are definitely entitled to a replacement under warranty.

Cheers

EDIT:

@Myavu

36 psi is too high. You will end up with uneven tyre wear. Please stick to 32 psi.

Last edited by EssYouWe : 2nd December 2010 at 10:52.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:10   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
May I chip in about the oil change argument ? I still think its necessary in Indian cities. Also, more importantly - the Beat certainly does not get synthetic oil. That would have cost me a lot more than 600. It is not used by the manufacturer for the first time either. I have asked and confirmed this. However I havent checked the manual - I am sure they mention the type of oil required. Could someone look it up please?.
The Engine oil used in Beat is Synthetic Oil, its brand name is Quatz 7000 and is Genuine Engine Oil specifically made for Beat by Elf-Total. It is available only at Authorised Service Centre and its rate is Rs. 288/l or Rs. 1080/3.75l. Oil filter too is only available at A.S.C. and it costs Rs. 132.

Quote:
Also, I have run into another problem. The noise that had been fixed in the service is slowly returning. It had been diagnosed as a power steering component. However the mechanic was not sure if hydraulic power steering can be repaired or need to be replaced entirely (which would mean I just have to live with the noise). If its repairable (I know electronic power steerings are not so they need to be replaced and cost a bomb) ; then could someone tell me so I can pressurise these fellows to open up the steering assembly and fix it.

The noise is like something has gone loose inside. Certainly not a sound you enjoy for a 6 month old car.
Hydraulic Power Steering assembly is repairable and it is covered under warranty. Ask the Service Engineer to get it repaired or replaced.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:18   #1567
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Did any one cleaned the AC filter located above the glove box? For the past few days I had a feeling that AC is not chilling as in the initial days. So I checked the filter and it was like this:

This is the upper portion:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-pb281784a.jpg

Bottom side:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-pb281788a.jpg

After cleaning:
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-pb281789a.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-pb281790a.jpg

Treatment was very effective my AC is back to its original condition

What is the recomended frequency for cleaning this filter, I've done this after 9 months since the date of purchase.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:40   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Hello Guys,

Did any one cleaned the AC filter located above the glove box?
What is the recomended frequency for cleaning this filter, I've done this after 9 months since the date of purchase.
As per Owner's Manual Pollen Filter should be replaced after 1 year/ 10000km.
Old 2nd December 2010, 17:33   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys,

Did any one cleaned the AC filter located above the glove box? For the past few days I had a feeling that AC is not chilling as in the initial days. So I checked the filter and it was like this:

Oh i doubt whether this might be the reason in my car too? have to check it out.. anyway its going for service next weekend so would check it at that time.. Did you clean it by yourself?
Old 2nd December 2010, 18:01   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Oh i doubt whether this might be the reason in my car too? have to check it out.. anyway its going for service next weekend so would check it at that time.. Did you clean it by yourself?
It is a simple job and can be done at home. Please read the Owner's Manual for step by step procedure.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:33   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
It is a simple job and can be done at home. Please read the Owner's Manual for step by step procedure.
Yeah, its another DIY. I used the vacuum cleaner, first with the sucking from the top portion and secondly air blower from bottom, after this treatment its become almost clean.

@Topolino, whats the cost the pollen filter?

Its not realistic to replace the filter after one year, in between it should be cleaned atleast twice. My Beat ODO is showing only 5K and till date I'ven't done much dusty drives still its clogged with dust. For optimum cooling, one should monitor this at regular intervals along with the others IMO.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:02   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
@Topolino, whats the cost the pollen filter?

Its not realistic to replace the filter after one year, in between it should be cleaned atleast twice. My Beat ODO is showing only 5K and till date I'ven't done much dusty drives still its clogged with dust. For optimum cooling, one should monitor this at regular intervals along with the others IMO.
I do not know the exact cost but it shoud be around Rs. 1200. As per OM it should be inspected and cleaned every 5000 km/6 months and replaced every 10000km/1 year. I am also of the opinion that if just by cleaning, pollen filter works fine and no clogging remains it is not necessary to change it every 10000km/1 year.
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:35   #1573
BHPian

Quote:
I do not know the exact cost but it shoud be around Rs. 1200. As per OM it should be inspected and cleaned every 5000 km/6 months and replaced every 10000km/1 year. I am also of the opinion that if just by cleaning, pollen filter works fine and no clogging remains it is not necessary to change it every 10000km/1 year.
I would rather stay with a cleaned filter than going for a new one every year may be every second year am ready to spend for that. After all 1.2K is a big amount for a filter. I am thinking of to clean it petrol like we clean the air filter so that dust accumulated inside can be removed. Now it stays black even after the vacuum/blower treatment

Is it covered under maintenance contract?
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:24   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the Beat certainly does not get synthetic oil. That would have cost me a lot more than 600.
Exactly, synthetics cost around (500-1000) Rs/litres. some are even more expensive. No way you can get away with a synthetic oil change with 1000 bucks.[/quote]

Quote:
Then could someone tell me so I can pressurise these fellows to open up the steering assembly and fix it. Could someone please advice if I would be able to ask the company for a power steering fix / replacement since the car has been in no accident and the noise is continuing
It should be covered in warranty. Whether they are ready to look ito it depends a lot on the dealer. BTW if you have 0 maintaince package it should not an issue at all.

Quote:
The Engine oil used in Beat is Synthetic Oil, its brand name is Quatz 7000 and is Genuine Engine Oil specifically made for Beat by Elf-Total. It is available only at Authorised Service Centre and its rate is Rs. 288/l or Rs. 1080/3.75l. Oil filter too is only available at A.S.C. and it costs Rs. 132.
My best guess its semi-synthetic.

Quote:
Use the recirculation mode as much as possible to reduce the accumulation.
Also remember cooling is more effective in recirculation mode. Since you are cooling the already cooled air.

Quote:
Is it covered under maintenance contract?
Should be if its mentioned in service manual.
Old 4th December 2010, 10:27   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Use the recirculation mode as much as possible to reduce the accumulation.
Also remember cooling is more effective in recirculation mode. Since you are cooling the already cooled air.

Should be if its mentioned in service manual.
Opening the fresh air duct will attract more dust, C'mon man, that's the rule of thumb in this

Most Viewed