Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 16:42   #1606
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatverma1979 View Post
Forgot to mention, I was charged exactly 2066 for the engine oil, and not 2500 as i mentioned in my last post. But was horrified after reaching home when i checked my bill/receipt again. It mentioned 5w40 diesel engine oil..went back in a hurry to the service centre to confirm. Thankfully they have put the same quartz engine oil referred to by other ppl in the thread. The "diesel" bit gave me a scare as i m not very aware of what harm could happen if its put. By the way, the service centre ppl said the same oil is used in Beat , cruz and Captiva. Is that correct ?
Hey that looks cool with the new mirrors, and you are keeping your ride in pristine condition

ORVM with indicators are costing only 1120? Is it for a pair or for one piece? Or is it in-lieu with the old one? I guess only half portion of the bill is visible. If its for a pair am sure that am smitten by this mod

How about the body colour painting and labour charges? Can you elaborate the damage.

Last edited by sajjt : 14th December 2010 at 16:43.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:28   #1607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Hey that looks cool with the new mirrors, and you are keeping your ride in pristine condition

ORVM with indicators are costing only 1120? Is it for a pair or for one piece? Or is it in-lieu with the old one? I guess only half portion of the bill is visible. If its for a pair am sure that am smitten by this mod

How about the body colour painting and labour charges? Can you elaborate the damage.
Thanks man, Its in pristine condition without any major efforts. And go ahead with the Mod. The cost you read is for a pair without taxes. With taxes its 1300 per pair (no replacements). Its just a plastic cover which sticks on to your preexisting ORVM. Comes in white so cost of painting and labour charges for fitting were extra. In my case i paid rs 1200 total extra charges which included painting of the new ORVM covers + paint touchup job of both bumpers and front Right fender (see my ownership thread to check the amount of damage) and also the labour charge for fitting of the ORVM's. Make sure u have time though, It's a long and "not as easy as it looks" job. They had to drill a few holes to take the wire inside and connect it t the main indicator wires. You can always haggle for the labour and painting costs....i know that I did

IMPORTANT - The paint and polishing of the ORVM to match your car will take another day. So take that time into account too.

Last edited by akshatverma1979 : 14th December 2010 at 17:33. Reason: Important info added
Old 15th December 2010, 11:00   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by above the limit View Post
They both run on 3 cylinder engines unlike the beat.
Got confused with your quote here? Beat (& spark) is not 3 cylinder engine (matiz is 3 cylinder), its a 4 cylinder engine that is one of the reason for it to have less engine noise like swift..
Old 15th December 2010, 13:26   #1609
BHPian

Quote:

Really worried about oil change. I went ahead after reading all this discussion over oil change and insisted on an oil change prior to the scheduled 15000 kms. Stupid me,i was already on 10500. Could have waited till 15000..
In my opinion you have changed oil at right time. Please read the OM's page nos. 134-137.

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Well the SP is true as i said earlier. There were vehicles with old setting till Aug-10. May be 6 sigma is not maintained coz of which you might get some cars with a different setting. Other things that you have mentioned about is exactly right..

The "diesel" bit gave me a scare as i m not very aware of what harm could happen if its put. By the way, the service centre ppl said the same oil is used in Beat , cruz and Captiva. Is that correct ?
Most of the times Sales Persons / Service Persons are not correct. The facts I have posted earlier regarding ECU setting or Oil used in Beat were not based on what Sales/Service Person told me, I have posted what was told to me by the personnel of GM's Office. Whether the New Beats are coming with Original ECU Setting or Second Gear Improvement ECU setting, you can get correct answer from GM's Talegaon Plant Office.
Oils used in Beat and Cruze are different and the cost too is different. Service person has put cruze's oil in your car and is now misleading you. You can also confirm this from GM's Talegaon Plant Office.
Old 15th December 2010, 15:06   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Most of the times Sales Persons / Service Persons are not correct. The facts I have posted earlier regarding ECU setting or Oil used in Beat were not based on what Sales/Service Person told me, I have posted what was told to me by the personnel of GM's Office. Whether the New Beats are coming with Original ECU Setting or Second Gear Improvement ECU setting, you can get correct answer from GM's Talegaon Plant Office.
Oils used in Beat and Cruze are different and the cost too is different. Service person has put cruze's oil in your car and is now misleading you. You can also confirm this from GM's Talegaon Plant Office.
Yep i didnt say that the SP is right always, but at this instance he was right..thats what i meant..ohh just 1 sentence of mine has made these many confusions

Well i am posting these answers with the answers from GM, thats why i feel pretty confident on ECU settings . I don't support SP's at all, coz they hardly know anything. They dont know what's what in a car too, for example there was a post in nissan micra thread where in the SP has told that ABS is not there in diesel micra because they are using 15" alloys. Dont know in what way these 2 are related. .

So the bottom line is i got the answer from GM only and not from any dealer, thats why i replied to that thread..
Old 16th December 2010, 12:18   #1611
BHPian

Test drive experience:-

1) The engine is very silent when started and in idling.

2) The engine screams when you take it to 2k rpm in 2&3rd gear.Not good for a pretrol car.

3)Seating position is good.

4)Pick up is good

5)Rear door open is an innovative move.

6)Very low Ground clearence. Surely thebumber will take a hit and rub all the bumpy roads.

7) Good design and premium feel.

8)Not an enthuist car. Surely a good city drivable one.

9)Great pricing and jaw dropping discounts.

10)Unknown resale value and lack of good service

11)My rating will be 6/10.

12)Undertired an upgrade is a must.
Old 16th December 2010, 12:38   #1612
BHPian

My cousin and I went to the helipad here in Mangalore yesterday and I did a 360 on the helipad and pushed it to 2nd gear at speeds of 20kmph and the car angled at a scary degree, but the grip was awesome, it gave me the impression that the car would turn turtle but nothing of that sort, road grip is superb, that too on stock tyres! My cousin almost wet his pants, lol!!
Old 16th December 2010, 12:45   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

2) The engine screams when you take it to 2k rpm in 2&3rd gear.Not good for a pretrol car.
i would call that a 'roar', unlike some marutis that scream' when pushed hard! That's one of the things i love about the Beat!
Old 16th December 2010, 15:47   #1614
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man, Its in pristine condition without any major efforts. And go ahead with the Mod. The cost you read is for a pair without taxes. With taxes its 1300 per pair (no replacements). Its just a plastic cover which sticks on to your preexisting ORVM. Comes in white so cost of painting and labour charges for fitting were extra. In my case i paid rs 1200 total extra charges which included painting of the new ORVM covers + paint touchup job of both bumpers and front Right fender (see my ownership thread to check the amount of damage) and also the labour charge for fitting of the ORVM's. Make sure u have time though, It's a long and "not as easy as it looks" job. They had to drill a few holes to take the wire inside and connect it t the main indicator wires. You can always haggle for the labour and painting costs....i know that I did

IMPORTANT - The paint and polishing of the ORVM to match your car will take another day. So take that time into account too.
You meant to say that these are clip on covers over the existing ORVMs? But it doesn't look like a clip on from the photos. I just love I10 mirrors with turn lights which has got a premium finish and looks.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-hyundainextgeni10orvmwithintegratedindicators.jpg

Is there any possibility to plonking one to here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
i would call that a 'roar', unlike some marutis that scream' when pushed hard! That's one of the things i love about the Beat!
I don't think @ 2k rpm it will scream, till 3K its as smooth as 1K beyond that say around 4K onwards it changes its attitude. May be you must've pushed the pedal than its needed. But I just love that sound, something sporty right?
Old 16th December 2010, 16:24   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
You meant to say that these are clip on covers over the existing ORVMs? But it doesn't look like a clip on from the photos. I just love I10 mirrors with turn lights which has got a premium finish and looks.

Attachment 469810

Is there any possibility to plonking one to here?

Its not "clip-on" sajjt. they are "stick-on" covers. By using adhesive tapes, the covers are sticked on to your pre-exixting ORVM's. And i agree, the i-10 Mirrors look better finished. maybe because they are properly manufactured at the main plant, and not painted and polished at the service centre. But at this price point....i m not complaining. Will post night pics soon.
Old 18th December 2010, 00:08   #1616
BHPian

rki2007, 'jaw dropping discounts' - can you please provide details? Have almost firmed up my plan to get Beat LT for my city commutes.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

1) The engine is very silent when started and in idling.

3)Seating position is good.

4)Pick up is good

5)Rear door open is an innovative move.

6)Very low Ground clearence. Surely thebumber will take a hit and rub all the bumpy roads.

7) Good design and premium feel.

8)Not an enthuist car. Surely a good city drivable one.

9)Great pricing and jaw dropping discounts.

10)Unknown resale value and lack of good service

11)My rating will be 6/10.

12)Undertired an upgrade is a must.
Old 19th December 2010, 01:34   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kmiles View Post
rki2007, 'jaw dropping discounts' - can you please provide details? Have almost firmed up my plan to get Beat LT for my city commutes.

Thanks

Ya the above discounts that i have posted is from Sundaram Motors at Kasturba road, Bangalore. I think this should be available at your place too. Just check out.

Last edited by rki2007 : 19th December 2010 at 01:42.
Old 19th December 2010, 22:03   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Ok, with reference to the ECU remap, this is what I got from one of the service engineers. I had asked him if it is required, as so many have put here, but though I did not feel that lul in the second gear

He told me that the current engine series called KC3 (I cant recollect if this is what he called it, it was present on my service document), already comes with the required tuning done. It is the KC2 and 1, that require the remap. My car is a KC3 series engine.

Also, he told me another thing which kind of surprised me. He told me that the cars valves open and close depending on driving speed. During lower RPMs and speed, fewers valves open and all are open at higher rpms and speed.

Now, I didnt know or expect this feature from this car. Is this true??
Old 19th December 2010, 23:26   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Also, he told me another thing which kind of surprised me. He told me that the cars valves open and close depending on driving speed. During lower RPMs and speed, fewers valves open and all are open at higher rpms and speed.
Now, I didnt know or expect this feature from this car. Is this true??
What he is talking about can be done using VVT only. And not just any VVT like the ones from Maruti / Hyundai. They use cam phasing VVT that can control only the valve opening time. Honda, Toyota uses cam changing VVT. There you can have different valve opening time, opening duration (closing - opening time interval) and valve lift.

In Beat
However there is a different technology involved and that is called Port deactivation. Beat has 2 intake valves per cylinder. In the intake manifold there are 2 passages (generally there is only 1) for the 2 intake valves. Now when pressure in the intake manifold is low or in other words you are not giving too much gas, one of the passages in the intake manifold (intake port) is blocked. So Although the both the valves are physically opening air is coming only through 1.
Port deactivation happens in low load. Has nothing to do with RPM.
Advantage is if you block one of the path, velocity through the other will increase & there will be more turbulence in the combustion chamber. Net result better efficiency.

Last edited by oxyzen : 19th December 2010 at 23:27.
Old 21st December 2010, 11:00   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Port deactivation happens in low load. Has nothing to do with RPM.
In Beat Port deactivation happens at < 2400 rpm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks