Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:08   #1756

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

eBay India: USB Adapter Connector for Chevrolet Beat Music System (item 330542926440 end time 23-Mar-2011 23:32:18 IST)
you will get the best option on ebay.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:12   #1757
Joy
BHPian

Thanks @alstonlobo. Have a query, somebody suggested me to have it pushed at second gear and get it started. Would like to know your/others opinion?

Thanks for all the co-operation.

P.S.: How to get my battery untangle from my car (sorry for being noob)? Also, Is this a very serious battery problem as I have my First service (6M/5000 Km) due around first week of April.2011. Anything that can be rectified.

Last edited by Joy : 22nd March 2011 at 23:17.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:18   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
Thanks @alstonlobo. Have a query, somebody suggested me to have it pushed at second gear and get it started. Would like to know your/others opinion?

Thanks for all the co-operation.
Joy thats a traditional way to start a car but I would not risk it for a technically advanced car like the Beat. You might end up doing more harm than good. Try the jump start buddy, it will work just fine, trust me.
Also considering your car was left idle for a month, please check your tyre air pressure and also pump the brakes repeatedly before you go for a spin. The last thing you would want is a jammed or a faulty brake. Do a nice 5 minute warm up and then you are good to go.

Dont be tensed, your car is fine, knowing that its left untouched for 30 days, its natural for the battery to die off.

Keep us posted, all the best
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:29   #1759
BHPian

You can also try emergency battery service by Exide.

Welcome to Exide Reachout: Emergency Service

I have not tried this out myself but a friend recommended it after he went through a good experience.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:32   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
P.S.: How to get my battery untangle from my car (sorry for being noob)? Also, Is this a very serious battery problem as I have my First service (6M/5000 Km) due around first week of April.2011. Anything that can be rectified.
Joy its easy to disconnect the battery. All you need is a set of spanners. I did this when I upgraded the ICE for my car. But since you are not well versed, I would suggest you to leave it to the pros. The last thing you would want is a shock, short circuit or blown fuses.
Old 23rd March 2011, 11:41   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vprodigy View Post
thanks everyone. I'm also looking for that USB converter I wish Chevy had provided it with the car or as a part of the accessories I won't mind paying for it. I should be able to get this from a local comp shop.
congrats to da.maulik, redlaw, quadmaniac, azharace and others (sorry if i missed any one) for being the proud owner of a great hatch. The true value for money car and true fun to drive.
Also chek out the music system it has lot of soft features I love it may change the speakers later but as of now they are too good with Jagjit Singh Live concert Gazals playing only in the rear two you feel as if you are in the concert and the music also cuts the outside noise.

Chevrolet is providing the cable at the cost of 100 Rupees. Please contact your nearest A.S.S. I got one for myself and it is working fine
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:47   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
One information I seek from fellow BHPians, the sales person told me that they'll hand over the car to me only after registration. AFAIK the vehicle at the dealership always has a temporary registration and the owner can drive with that for a certain period of time and simultaneously apply for permanent registration (though dealer or otherwise). Please correct me if I am wrong.
Usually dealerships charge around 4-5k for TEMP registration.
Is helpful for people who buy the car in one city and register in some other place.
Are you planning to do the registration on your own?
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:19   #1763

Good work, fitting report.
I test drove a Beat for myself & my wife. I am a arthritic senior citizen with problems in stooping, so does my wife, to a lesser extent. We both had problems getting in due to the low design, also, height of seat to car floor is very low. I could not enter from the rear door at all, too small for my height & arthritic condition. The Engine was very good, so was the suspension, even on the bad broken roads. My young nephew bought it. I went ahead & purchased a Wagon R.
Old 23rd March 2011, 22:43   #1764
Joy
BHPian

Today at around 1 pm, I called up my dealer's emergency helpline no. and explained my problem to them. They told me exactly as alstonlobo told me like jump start the engine. When told that I am a novice, they promptly agreed to come and help me out. Since, I have some prior work, I asked them to come around 4.30 - 5.00 pm.

Around 4.35 pm, I received a call from them stating that they are in my complex and wanted to know the exact location. I am really surprised by their prompt and efficient service.

After explaing the details once again, he checked the car battery, took out an extra battery, tilted the same to connect to my car battery and asked me to start. Voila... it was started. Then, he checked the battery's fluid, pour some distilled water (hope, I am correct this time) in them, took out some multimeter to check the battery and asked me to keep it on for atleast one hour. Also, he advised me to drive at least for 15-20 km a week to maintain the battery, brakes, etc. in optimum condition. Don't know, how far is it true? You guys can shed some light on these.

I kept it on for more than one hour, mostly at idle and sometimes revving it to beyond 4000 rpm (not instructed, as I have read here in TBHP that revving the engine beyond 4000 rpm helps to clear carbon deposits). After more than an hour, I switched off my engine and started again a couple of times and it was working perfectly. Didn't took out for a spin as it was already dark by then and I am skeptical that switching on my lights will drain my battery again. Will definitely took it for spin tomorrow morning.

Anyway guys, thanks for all the help, special thanks to alstonlobo and rsramkee.

Last but not the least. Total cost: Rs. 400/- (since it was an emergency call), Result: Peace of mind.

Would like to congratulate Chevrolet for the wonderful service provided.
Old 23rd March 2011, 23:04   #1765
BHPian

Joy I am happy to know things went well and most importantly you have your piece of mind back.

Your service guy did tell you the right thing. you need to run the car regularly to keep the battery, brakes and engine oil etc in working condition or else the engine oil tends to slump in the cylinder (hope I used the right technical words), the brakes may jam or malfunction, the battery as you know will die out and so on....

400/- bucks for the job is pretty reasonable. What matters most is that everything went smoothly.

Cheers and safe driving!
Old 24th March 2011, 09:02   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
Last but not the least. Total cost: Rs. 400/- (since it was an emergency call), Result: Peace of mind.
Would like to congratulate Chevrolet for the wonderful service provided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
400/- bucks for the job is pretty reasonable. What matters most is that everything went smoothly.
In Bangalore Chevrolet is charging Rs.550/- for emergency call service. Dont know why there is a difference between different places.

Last week I was in a situation where my car key got locked inside with all windows up! and the engine is running and that too in a petrol bunk.
This happened when I went there to do the emission test (on 31st Mar, she will be 1 year old). There is a few seconds delay for the door lock when the ignition is turned on. I closed the door immediately after starting the engine and the doors locked from inside. My entire key bunch including house key is inside and the engine is on. Even though I was aware of the alternate method to open the door, I called the dealer helpline. They told they can come to the spot in 20 mins and will be charging Rs.550/-. Then I told them "I will call back in 5 mins to confirm". I decided to do it myself and the petrol bunk guy helped me to get a 2.5mm rod(something like a cycle wheel spoke). I made one end like a small hook and inserted it through the gap between the window beading. There is a linkage connecting the door lock lever and if we hook it and pull upwards, the door will open. To my luck it worked. Generally for Marutis and most of other cars we need to push it down using a scale or flat items similar to a scale. But for Beat we need to pull upwards to open. By that time I got a call from the service center asking for my exact location. I said "Thanks for calling back. I opened it myself".
Old 24th March 2011, 10:06   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Last week I was in a situation where my car key got locked inside with all windows up! and the engine is running and that too in a petrol bunk.
There is a few seconds delay for the door lock when the ignition is turned on. I closed the door immediately after starting the engine and the doors locked from inside.
There is a linkage connecting the door lock lever and if we hook it and pull upwards, the door will open. To my luck it worked.
I'm always skeptical about this and never leave the keys inside even if the ignition is switched off.
Can you give us a pictorial description of the area you twitched with the rod so that it can be helpful for the rest of us to know how to react in an emergency. At least it would save us 500 bucks
Old 24th March 2011, 11:28   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Can you give us a pictorial description of the area you twitched with the rod so that it can be helpful for the rest of us to know how to react in an emergency.
Would be better if you send that as a PM, as this is a public forum accessible to all and do you wan't everyone to learn, how to open your car without keys.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:37   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Would be better if you send that as a PM, as this is a public forum accessible to all and do you wan't everyone to learn, how to open your car without keys.

Well all the guys visiting the petrol pump have already seen what salbin has done live
Old 24th March 2011, 12:14   #1770
Joy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
In Bangalore Chevrolet is charging Rs.550/- for emergency call service. Dont know why there is a difference between different places.
Might be they are taking into account the cost of living index for different cities.

Quote:
Well all the guys visiting the petrol pump have already seen what salbin has done live
+1 to that. Also, I think that those guys are much more smarter and already knows it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks