Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2009, 09:03   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

• Twin airbag top variant has received a 4 / 5 star safety rating in the NCAP.
Wrong. The Euroncap Spark/Beat needed six airbags plus front pretensioners and front load limiters to receive the 81% adult occupant rating. I do not know if the India-market Beat has pretensioners and load limiters for the front seats but, judging by the photos, it does not have a 3-point belt for the rear centre passenger.
Old 12th December 2009, 15:27   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dose View Post
Wrong. The Euroncap Spark/Beat needed six airbags plus front pretensioners and front load limiters to receive the 81% adult occupant rating. I do not know if the India-market Beat has pretensioners and load limiters for the front seats but, judging by the photos, it does not have a 3-point belt for the rear centre passenger.
Can this car seat 5th passenger comfortably?
Old 12th December 2009, 15:55   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just saw the euroncap site. It says 1000cc base variant with only front airbags tested which got 4 star.

It didn't have any of the stuff you mentioned above.

Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Chevrolet Spark
Old 12th December 2009, 16:17   #169
Senior - BHPian

Only the front looks ok , every other angle is horrible ,especially the side view ,very ugly .
Old 12th December 2009, 17:28   #170
BHPian

there must be a price difference of atleast inr 70000 between spark and beat . which is vfm car
Old 12th December 2009, 23:19   #171
BHPian

Congrates GTO. The review was spot on.

Can team-bhp think about a print version? Many of our brethren in this vast country may not have the chance to read your review on net. How about publishing your review in some vernacular dailies?
Old 13th December 2009, 05:07   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I just saw the euroncap site. It says 1000cc base variant with only front airbags tested which got 4 star.

It didn't have any of the stuff you mentioned above.

Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Chevrolet Spark

The type of airbags on the test car is listed under "Details of tested car: Safety equipment:"

It does not say that the test car only had front airbags. It says the front airbags were single stage airbags. Please read the page carefully.
Old 13th December 2009, 08:08   #173
BHPian

Awesome review GTO, the review is very precise.
I got a chance to see the Beat in flesh today morning at 7:20 on the Eastern Express Highway driven by Homzard Sorabjee

The Rear looks great. The tyres did look a tad small but overall it gels well.
Old 13th December 2009, 09:03   #174
BHPian

the idea about printing in dailies is a good idea. Someone should talk to a publisher if he is known.
Old 13th December 2009, 09:51   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The type of airbags on the test car is listed under "Details of tested car: Safety equipment:"

It does not say that the test car only had front airbags. It says the front airbags were single stage airbags. Please read the page carefully.
Yeah I just read it again. It says driver front airbag - single stage and Front passenger frontal airbag single stage.

In side airbags it is blank. If the car had six airbags it would have 2 front + 4 side airbags. Where does it say the car had 6 airbags?

Infact if you read it carefully even the front seatbelt pretensioners and load limiters are blank which means that the test car did not have them.

I'm sorry but can you point out where it says they are present?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th December 2009 at 09:53.
Old 13th December 2009, 12:59   #176
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the excellent review. I'd been anticipating the Beat since quite some time as a potential buy & the your review really cleared up a few gaping holes left after reading the initial reports.

The things i love:
1. Its almost an exactly copy of the concept we saw earlier which i really appreciate (I still remember how disappointed i was after seeing what Suzuki had done to the A-Star concept)
2. Radically different styling
3. The Instrument Cluster & Center Console are top-notch
4. FE Rating

What I felt they could've improved on:
1. I HATE grey interiors & they really make the cramped car look even more like a cave. I don't know why they couldn't emulate the i20's dual-tone interiors, they seem practical & very good-looking
2. Rear Seats were highly disappointing in your pictures, the door handle placement further makes the space look 'dingy'
3. The pseudo-wood in piano black is a finger print magnet & will surely not stand the test of time.
4. I didn't like how the insides of the doors were finished as well as the gear knob
5. Puny small little tiny minuscule tyres (Yes, i feel they're THAT small)
6. I know that overcoming the mini-usb is not that problematic with adapters, but, doesn't it make sure a difference of 3 mm overall? They should've stuck with the standard prevalent
7. Sub-standard audio (Why do we pay them for it then?)

Chevrolet could've really sweetened the entire package with keyless entry & height-adjustable driver's seat which will be sorely missed.
I'm expecting a price-tag of 5.2L on road for the top variant.
The interiors though are almost sure to be a deal-breaker for me
Old 13th December 2009, 18:00   #177

Great One!

Hey another Great Review. No magazine goes into details in which you go. Great. Keep it up.
Old 13th December 2009, 18:54   #178
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the comments, compliments and 5 star thread rating, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Wonder if MJ's song "Beat It" will be used for the media campaign. Maybe, there could even be a "beet" colour to the Beat.
Come to think of it, this is a brilliant idea! Chevy is not only getting feedback from Team-BHP on the car, but even on marketing! Though, the potential licence fees to MJ corp would probably not make it feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animdas View Post
2. The headlights were not that powerful
Sorry, didn't get a chance to drive it properly at night. However, a short drive prior to the morning sunrise didn't have me complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
Should be a hit with the college going crowd I think .
Could be, but Chevy can't bank on them. That's a miniscule percentage of the market. GM wants the middle-class and first time car owners to walk into their showrooms.

Quote:
Though it might not become a segment leader , it should bring GM right back in the mix of things .
Agreed. If priced well, this car should manage respectable sales. However, I don't see it becoming a segment leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejhoom View Post
Can team-bhp think about a print version?
Why would we take a step backward ? Print is yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmaker23 View Post
1. I HATE grey interiors & they really make the cramped car look even more like a cave. I don't know why they couldn't emulate the i20's dual-tone interiors, they seem practical & very good-looking
My exact thoughts. I'm not a fan of grey either. And hey, even the cheaper Spark has a beige option.

Quote:
3. The pseudo-wood in piano black is a finger print magnet & will surely not stand the test of time.
I quite liked the Chevy's black stripe running on the insides. It looks very classy.
Old 13th December 2009, 20:14   #179
Senior - BHPian

I feel from its design and all its planned to take on the MUL Ritz. It might do a good job at that. If only for the price...
Old 13th December 2009, 22:41   #180
BHPian

Beat colours

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Wonder if MJ's song "Beat It" will be used for the media campaign. Maybe, there could even be a "beet" colour to the Beat.
I would have liked to see the BEAT in funky colours like the lime yellow and purple ( The ones seen on the Estilo), as also the Morello ( seen on the Ford Fiesta).However, I know,Indians dont prefer such'adventerous' colours.

Most Viewed