Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2011, 22:25   #1831
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I still dont understand the use of second usb.
A single USB port at times is unable to provide enough power for devices like Hard disks, so a Y cable is used where main port is used for power+Connection and the other port is just used for power.
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2011, 12:04   #1832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I still dont understand the use of second usb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
A single USB port at times is unable to provide enough power for devices like Hard disks, so a Y cable is used where main port is used for power+Connection and the other port is just used for power.
Thanks .anshuman to reply for the query.

If power is the problem, Beat's HU can read Portable HDD with the help of solutions I mentioned in the above few posts

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:01   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
^^ My 2.5" has got two cables. One for HDD - USB (most case this works if we are using newer computers/devices-USB 2.0 port). Then other for additional power HDD- second USB port (if required).

You can buy a Y cable to solve the power issue.
Vinu
Quote:
Wow, thats a good piece of information. I never heard of this Y cable so far.

BTW, what about the durability of the HDD on a car, will it be advisable without proper shock absorbing pads?
Old 23rd April 2011, 21:56   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Thanks .anshuman to reply for the query.
If power is the problem, Beat's HU can read Portable HDD with the help of solutions I mentioned in the above few posts
Cheers!
Vinu
I checked it with the Y cable(double USB) just now.
The HDD is rotating without any issue. But the Hu is showing "Error- No file" message. With single cable HDD lights were blinking and the HDD was not rotating properly. So I think power is not the only reason.
Vinu, Are you able to connect the HDD with the Y cable?

BTW, I dont want to use the HDD in the moving car.
Sajan, Definitely the life of the HDD will be a question mark. Just checked it out of curiosity.
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:34   #1835
Senior - BHPian

There are segate hard disc that come with 5 years warranty.
In that case life of the HDD isnt an issue.
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:43   #1836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
I checked it with the Y cable(double USB) just now.
The HDD is rotating without any issue. But the Hu is showing "Error- No file" message. With single cable HDD lights were blinking and the HDD was not rotating properly. So I think power is not the only reason.

BTW, I dont want to use the HDD in the moving car.
Sajan, Definitely the life of the HDD will be a question mark. Just checked it out of curiosity.
Certain Head Units have max no. of Files/Folders the USB drive can contain, AFAIK Punto HU has a limit of 999 files in a single folder(Not very sure).

A HardDisk may be not prove to be the best solution for usage in a car as the HDD has lots of moving parts and being subjected to vibrations, shocks and heat(when parked in Sun) it may get damaged. A large size Thumb drive will be a better solution for this IMHO.
Old 25th April 2011, 09:28   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You have to format and put MP3s with less sub folders. Avoid using a drive with other datas

Quote:
If power is sufficient there is nothing to worry about HDD life. My setup is a Seagate's G-Force Protection laptop HDD packed in a Transcend SATA HDD Case which has two cables one for USB and other for USB power (if USB alone cannot zip power)

Quote:
Certain Head Units have max no. of Files/Folders the USB drive can contain, AFAIK Punto HU has a limit of 999 files in a single folder(Not very sure).
Beat's HU can read music files from USB drives containing max 999 files & folders (both inclusive) If you want to listen more music just plug another Pen Dive. My Sandisk Cruzer 8GB Pen Drive has 2GB odd space remaining. But no use. New songs are ripped to another Cruzer 8GB Pen Drive.

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 25th April 2011 at 09:32.
Old 1st May 2011, 16:58   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Ok Guys. Now I need your help at this point. After reading some of the posts here on the 4 digit code for the system, was apparently pasted on the music system, I realize that I do not have it. Why, because when we pealed it and threw it, we did not know the significance of it.

So, question is, what do I do now? And I dont have any interior pics of the car either.

Had asked the service guy, and he was also clueless. Said he would get back to me, but never did. During my 2nd free service at Sundaram
Old 1st May 2011, 19:49   #1839
Senior - BHPian

Check the back of the music system manual
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:03   #1840
Senior - BHPian

^^Ok. Now this is the strange bit. I never got a manual for the music system. Even the SA asked me about it. How may of you guys have this. Is it the one in the regular manual, with a section on it. Or is it a separate one all together.

Can someone please upload some images of what it looks like
Old 2nd May 2011, 00:32   #1841
BHPian

Does any of you know how to remove the tail lamps of Beat?
There are 2 screws visible outside. I removed both the screws and tried to pull out the tail lamp assembly, but it was not coming out.
I am planning to smoke the tail lamps using VHT Nite Shade. I will be doing it myself.
So just wanted to understand whether any other fasteners available other than the highlighted ones in the pic(not my car).
Is there a 3rd screw from inside? or it is only a pin location?
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-chevroletbeatbluecolorrearimage.jpg
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:07   #1842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
^^Ok. Now this is the strange bit. I never got a manual for the music system. Even the SA asked me about it. How may of you guys have this. Is it the one in the regular manual, with a section on it. Or is it a separate one all together.

Can someone please upload some images of what it looks like
I bought my Beat this March and didn't got a separate Music System manual, but there is a section in the owner's manual giving the details of the stock music system.

And in my car the PIN was pasted only on the music system display, and nowhere given/ pasted in the manual/ vehicle delivery documents. I also peeled it off as i was not aware of its importance. Luckily, a day prior to that my cousin had clicked few pics of car interiors and thus captured the code as well.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:08   #1843
Joy
BHPian

I also didn't got a Music system manual when I purchased and since I never understood the importance of the sticker, just peeled off and threw away.

After reading here, I understand the importance of the code. Now, what to do? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:18   #1844
BHPian

Hey salbin, did you try removing the bulb holders and try removing it?

When I had to change my tail lamp, they removed these 2 screws and removed the bulb holders and they were able to pull the tail lamp out. i do not know whether I have missed something in this process though

Quote:
Does any of you know how to remove the tail lamps of Beat?
There are 2 screws visible outside. I removed both the screws and tried to pull out the tail lamp assembly, but it was not coming out.
I am planning to smoke the tail lamps using VHT Nite Shade. I will be doing it myself.
So just wanted to understand whether any other fasteners available other than the highlighted ones in the pic(not my car).
Is there a 3rd screw from inside? or it is only a pin location?
Attachment 538537
Old 3rd May 2011, 09:45   #1845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Hey salbin, did you try removing the bulb holders and try removing it?
When I had to change my tail lamp, they removed these 2 screws and removed the bulb holders and they were able to pull the tail lamp out. i do not know whether I have missed something in this process though
Thanks for the input.
I was able to remove it yesterday.
2 screws to be removed and the light assembly to be pulled outwards(towards rear side) to release 2 pin locators from the body.
I was afraid of the pin breakage in case if I pull it in the wrong direction.
Luckly I pulled in the correct direction only.

Most Viewed