Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 12:22   #1846
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Thanks for the input.
I was able to remove it yesterday.
2 screws to be removed and the light assembly to be pulled outwards(towards rear side) to release 2 pin locators from the body.
I was afraid of the pin breakage in case if I pull it in the wrong direction.
Luckly I pulled in the correct direction only.
Yes, its a bit tricky job with these locks. I'd pulled out the lamp assy on the second day to install a reverse horn but its gone for a toss after a series of rain as I've installed it very low so water can seep in very easily.

Same way with the front bumpers for installing the DRLs, there's hex screw holding it tightly inside the wheel basket (dont know whether I can call it)

BTW, I made a promise to Alston to put up some pics of DRLs and LED position lamps,its long pending. Sorry Alston, shall try to do it without much delay.
Old 8th May 2011, 14:32   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
I just bought a carbon fiber vinyl film last week through Ebay.
Got 3 A4 size sheets for Rs 295/-. I was planning to do it myself. Yet to find time for doing it.
As a sample, I will be doing first on the rear door.
Will let you know once it is completed.
Here is the ebay link:
eBay India: Carbon Fiber look Vinyl Sticker Sheet car bike graphics (item 230594789725 end time 07-Apr-2011 12:02:49 IST)
I have seen some of the car accessory shops are doing this as a package( center console, door handle, steering wheel spoke, AC vents etc)
I bought the same sheets as well, tried it out on my front door handles today and here's the result :

However, the sheets do not fit on rounded/curved surfaces and even with a blower i could not manage to apply it on my ORVMs
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-08052011040.jpg  

Old 8th May 2011, 21:14   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
I bought the same sheets as well, tried it out on my front door handles today and here's the result :
However, the sheets do not fit on rounded/curved surfaces and even with a blower i could not manage to apply it on my ORVMs
My plan was to use it on the door handles. As you said, it was not stretching as I expected. So dropped the idea.
I think we need to use some good brands like 3M di noc vinyls to match complicated curved shapes.
Old 8th May 2011, 23:56   #1849
Senior - BHPian

The sheet you picked up is basically to stiff to be able to apply on curved surfaces. More as a decal to be used on flat surfaces like sides, bonnets and so on. And also, the price you have paid is downright crazy for that material and quantity. You can get the exact same thing (I did), from local computerized sticker shops for around Rs. 50 per sheet (I got little more than A4 size, and got them for 40 since I tool around 4-5 colours.

OT. With reference to those who lost the sticker which had the code for the music system (like I did), I read by googling that the code is apparently present on the rear side of the HU. Now, does anyone have any idea how to remove this HU. Checked google, but nothing came up.
thedreamcatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 22:27   #1850
BHPian

Finally after months of my audition videos gathering dust in my hard drive I decided to do something about it. Managed to do a rough edit and upload the video to youtube. Here it is for you guys to see and judge. Video was taken during night and its not the best an amateur like me could capture. Let me know your thoughts people

alstonlobo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 20:24   #1851
BHPian

Hi all Beat owners - went through most of this thread (skipped last few pages).

I had to sell my UV-A due to company policies on fuel allowance. Booked a Super Red Beat LT (no option pack) last week. I know the first question I will get here is why not wait for diesel variant due in 2 months. Well...

1. Company funds most of my fuel.
2. Even though Beat diesel is expected to be launched in July, realistically it would be late August if not even later till I get my delivery.
3. Last but the real reason is I am an out and out petrolhead. Just love to revv up every now and then

Regarding whether smartech engine is really different than old engine - I think every OEM has something called 'running changes'. They continuously monitor the JD Power feedbacks, warranty issues and other feedback from media and take corrective action. But it is near impossible to make minor changes every month or week. So they bunch up several improvements and roll them out with new badging. I also noticed the 2nd and 3rd gear ratio were revised in the new Beat with smartech engine - another example of 'running changes' - which will require some sort of ECU calibration change anyway.

And yes, the base engine in the Korean version of Beat is 1205 cc and GM had to create another version of 1199 cc for Indian market. Initially, this 1199 cc engine was also imported from Korea. Now with the ultramodern engine manufacturing (flex level 4) at Talegaon near Pune, GM will build the 1199 cc engines only in India which makes lot of sense. And I don't think our generation is that crazy about 'imported' tag to overlook that the GM Talegaon plant is the newest and is expected to be equal to any overseas plant if not better.

Will keep you guys updated on the dealership experience - I have booked it with Trident - Kalyannagar
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:05   #1852
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet Beat : 2nd Service @ 8880 Kms

Hi Guys,

Had my 2nd service yesterday at Metro Chevrolet, Vasant Kunj. ODO @ 8800KMS.

Engine oil toped, Engine & AC filter cleaned (I was in a shock to see the black dust accumulated in the AC filter. But I never felt any decline in chill from the AC). Car was ready in just 1.5 Hours. Kudos to Metro Chevy. Total expense zero. SA insisted that wheel balancing/rotation not required right now as there is no left right pull. It is scheduled for next service which is a paid one, both for Rs.800/-

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 22nd May 2011 at 16:07.
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:26   #1853
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : 2nd Service @ 8880 Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Hi Guys,

Had my 2nd service yesterday at Metro Chevrolet, Vasant Kunj. ODO @ 8800KMS.

Engine oil toped, Engine & AC filter cleaned (I was in a shock to see the black dust accumulated in the AC filter. But I never felt any decline in chill from the AC). Car was ready in just 1.5 Hours. Kudos to Metro Chevy. Total expense zero. SA insisted that wheel balancing/rotation not required right now as there is no left right pull. It is scheduled for next service which is a paid one, both for Rs.800/-

Cheers!

Vinu
Vinu, It is better to clean the AC Pollen Filter once in 6 months.
Even me too was shocked to see the amount of dust in it. I did it twice.
Initially I was thinking that it can not be washed. But after reading about this in this thread, I also washed in soap solution. Happy with the results - No shrinkage yet
Old 28th May 2011, 10:57   #1854
BHPian

Clocked 5000 kms in the Baby Beat. After the ECU remap the pickup in the 2nd gear has improved. The car is due for 1 year service on 9th july. I think the build quality and ride quality are the two most amazing things in Beat. The ride is just awesome
Old 28th May 2011, 11:15   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Clocked 5000 kms in the Baby Beat. After the ECU remap the pickup in the 2nd gear has improved. The car is due for 1 year service on 9th july. I think the build quality and ride quality are the two most amazing things in Beat. The ride is just awesome
Congrats,
and agree with you about the build quality. You will notice it if you close the doors of an i10 or swift and immediately do the same in a Beat.

Last edited by Daewood : 28th May 2011 at 11:16.
Old 28th May 2011, 22:09   #1856
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : 2nd Service @ 8880 Kms

Quote:
Vinu, It is better to clean the AC Pollen Filter once in 6 months.
Even me too was shocked to see the amount of dust in it. I did it twice.
Initially I was thinking that it can not be washed. But after reading about this in this thread, I also washed in soap solution. Happy with the results - No shrinkage yet
I clean my car's filter every weekend. Its much easier to do it regularly than to do at long intervals
Old 28th May 2011, 23:13   #1857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Very true. The built quality of beat is miles ahead of any Maruti/Tata or even maybe Hyundai. Its been nore than a year. No significant rattles as such. Ride is also exemplary. However after clocking more than 10K kms I have the following grouse.
1) Continuous roll (small oscillatory motions) is very annoying due to the suspension completely lacking in stiffness. Can be felt immediately after driving the Beat & Zen back to back. Pitching is somewhat controlled.
2) Needs to be whacked to perform. Gear ratios on the taller side. Without the ECU upgrade it is a pain to drive.
3) Very poor under thigh support in the rear seat.

So plan on fitting wider tyres with smaller aspect ratio. Would like to reduce the overall diameter by a little margin as well. Currently going through similar threads. Any suggestions?

Other than these this is an excellent car. No issues as such. Body shell is hard enough to withstand abuse.
Old 29th May 2011, 00:09   #1858
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
2) Needs to be whacked to perform. Gear ratios on the taller side. Without the ECU upgrade it is a pain to drive.
3) Very poor under thigh support in the rear seat.
Completely agree with you on both the points. You really need to press the A hard to get her sweating. I would say even with the ECU upgrade , you will not see her overtaking vehicles at will even when pushed to the limits. One thing about all this is that it suits my personality and driving pattern. Relaxed and calm

Also the under thigh support becomes more apparent during the long drives.

Another point would be the absence of a deal pedal.
Old 29th May 2011, 11:19   #1859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood
Congrats,
and agree with you about the build quality. You will notice it if you close the doors of an i10 or swift and immediately do the same in a Beat.
I disagree with I1O, as its more silent in door closing with a sweet "thud" than these two. My 6 year old always reminds me this whenever he litterally throw the doors for closing.
Old 29th May 2011, 14:22   #1860
BHPian

Guys I had been to Karkala yesterday which is 51kms from my home and takes more than an hour to drive since the roads are curvy and lots of ups and downs literally, I managed to come back in 50 minutes and that too in the night. What I was really impressed was as the roads are really curvy throughout and also encountered many hairpin bends, I was driving at speeds of 60kmph even on curves and the car handled extremely well, braking was magnificent and the car planted itself to the road very well. That too on stock tyres, this is something to definitely write home about. I'm loving the car more as days go by!

Most Viewed