Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:25   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Thanks Guys. I will find out from ICICI as to why they have given a lower IDV. 336000 seems to be low.
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:52   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Guys. Have a quick questions on my insurance policy
My Beat LT's insurance renewed with TATA AIG - Pearl Plan

Premium : 12658/- (inclusive of GST) No NCB

IDV - 347590/- (previous - 379974/-)

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:03   #2103
BHPian

Any idea from when we should keep 'Smoke test' done with us for BS IV?One of my friend told me we should do the test when our vehicle completes 1 year.Is it correct,regarding BS IV?

Last edited by white-rabbit : 23rd September 2011 at 19:09.
Old 24th September 2011, 10:31   #2104
BHPian

@white-rabbit - After the first year you have to do "pollution test" every 6 months. You need to keep the original PUC (Pollution Under Control) certificate with you always. Good going with all your mods. Cheers.
Old 24th September 2011, 11:51   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Any idea from when we should keep 'Smoke test' done with us for BS IV?One of my friend told me we should do the test when our vehicle completes 1 year.Is it correct,regarding BS IV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonMartin View Post
@white-rabbit - After the first year you have to do "pollution test" every 6 months. You need to keep the original PUC (Pollution Under Control) certificate with you always. Good going with all your mods. Cheers.
Here in Delhi it is every three months. It costs Rs. 45 and are available at almost all petrol pumps. Ensure that they have BS4 testing equipments.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 24th September 2011, 17:48   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Guys. Have a quick questions on my insurance policy. The inital IDV on the car was around 3,99,610. This year I find that the IDV is 3,36,000. Policy is with ICICI Lombard. Can any of you guys shed some light on this and when you renewed did your IDV also come down to the similar level. I thought it would be in the range of 3,50,000. Need this info asap, as I have to renew my policy in a day. If the IDV for some of you guys are higher, then I will speak to ICICI. Also, Baja Allianz has been offering me same for 350000.
3.50 or around about seems to be a fair figure.

I have renewed with Reliance IDV is 3.49 L with a premium of 6.9 k. NCB applied.
Old 25th September 2011, 10:37   #2107
BHPian

Sorry dreamcatcher, my renewed insurance is National Insurance and the IDV is 3,17,445 and not 3,00,000.. and the insurance premium amount I have paid is Rs.7915 for LS model..

Model: LS

Old Insurance:
Bajaj Allianz
IDV: 3,26,841
Premium: 10460

Renewed Insurance:
National Insurance
IDV: 3,17,445
Premium: 7915

NCB not applied

Last edited by informmaha : 25th September 2011 at 10:47.
Old 26th September 2011, 14:53   #2108
BHPian

Beat : Mileage Test by GM

Today I made a visit to GM SVC here for a long pending complaint ie; low FE, my best figure was only 10-12Kpl with 50% AC, sedate driving on highways. The SVC person suggested for a real time mileage monitoring ride, where they will install an equipment for testing the FE and I will've to drive to get the real readings to my driving style. According to GM, its very expensive and have latest technology for FE monitoring. But once I saw this so called equipment, the image in my mind changed. Its like a crude machine with a separate fuel pump with a small reservoir for fuel. And the funniest thing is, it doesn;t have any readings of the fuel consumption except the glass tube readings where the level of the fuel can be monitored(I've circled the side where the glass tube sits).This is the one they've connected to the car. Sorry for the crappy pic, my mobile cam is'nt good to take an impressive pic and I took the pic while the car was on move.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-20110926-11.29.22-medium.jpg

They've disconnected the fuel pump and connected this sophisticated one in place AFAIK. I guess it can contain 0.75ltr of petrol and I was told that he will run the car with 500ml of petrol and do the math X 2 to get the FE. We started off by resetting the trip meter, but to my surprise, he only drove the car and that too in a very very sedate style,strictly not to rev beyond 1K, and sticking to 40Kph and the route he'd chosen was an empty strech. For him, this is the optimum speed to check the FE and beyond this speed the FE will affect badly. When I asked him whether anyone will drive to this speed in a car for better FE, his answer was a blank smile. I was not in a mood to argue with him as I was late by almost 3hrs to work. I got the appointment by 9.30 and it took almost 2hrs to fit the equipment, we started off by 11.30 and that too after complaining about this delay to the Work Shop Engg in charge. We drove about 8.6Kms with 500ml of petrol so the ideal FE as per this hi funda machine is 8.6X2=17.2 Kpl. I was in the rear seat as the co passenger seat was occupied by the equipment so was not able to judge the fuel level and the driver too was judging from the seating level which is not a accurate one too. I asked him for one more drive on 60kph range but he was reluctant to do so and so do I just because I was annoyed by these suspicious acts of these guys.

According to Mr. Arun Ram, Workshop Engineer In charge, its the best mileage for Beat as ARAI figures are almost tallying with the current one. For them this car don't've any sign of symptoms or error codes when they analyse the ECU data and there's no point in re examining after this mileage test

Do you guys believe this as the real figures? I don't think so, I tried to convince him that this is not a realistic figure and am getting better FE on other cars, so my driving style is out of question. And about the mileage on other Beats are getting above 17kpl with the speedo around 60-70kph in mixed conditions, but he was not in the receiving end and I was also in a hurry to return to work as some of my clients are waiting for me. What he suggested is will do with a full tank-auto cut off spin for 20-30kms and filling method. I accepted that even though I've done it 2-3 times though to make them convince that its a low FE and we will do this in a couple of days to verify.

Salbin, Topolino, you guys are getting better mileage from this car, and what speed range do you guys feel the optimum, I used to drive in between 60-80 with an early shift to top gear without lugging the engine. I am getting decent mileage from other cars I've driven, so I guess there's something pending to be fine tuned.

Guys please pour in your suggestions for what all things I've to cross check before negotiating with the SVC as they are not in a receiving
end.

Last edited by sajjt : 26th September 2011 at 15:01.
Old 26th September 2011, 16:22   #2109
BHPian

Re: Beat : Mileage Test by GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
For them this car don't've any sign of symptoms or error codes when they analyse the ECU data and there's no point in re examining after this mileage test
Even if the ECU data don't show error codes IMHO your car definitely needs ECU resetting. Also get the oxygen sensors checked for the malfunctioning.
Quote:
Salbin, Topolino, you guys are getting better mileage from this car, and what speed range do you guys feel the optimum, I used to drive in between 60-80 with an early shift to top gear without lugging the engine. I am getting decent mileage from other cars I've driven, so I guess there's something pending to be fine tuned.

Guys please pour in your suggestions for what all things I've to cross check before negotiating with the SVC as they are not in a receiving
end.
I usually upshift as follows
1st to 2nd Gear - 15-20 kmph
2nd to 3rd - 25-30 kmph
3rd to 4th - 35-40 kmph
4th to 5th - 45-50 kmph
and downshift in the reverse of above. I am constantly getting FE ~16.5 kmpl within the city. On highways at speeds between 70-80 I have recorded FE ~ 23 kmpl and from my experience it is the optimum range for maximum mileage.
Ask the SA to reset the ECU. If he disagrees tell him it is a job of 10 minutes or so and he even need not to remove or install any major component.
Old 26th September 2011, 20:08   #2110
BHPian

Quote:
Salbin, Topolino, you guys are getting better mileage from this car, and what speed range do you guys feel the optimum, I used to drive in between 60-80 with an early shift to top gear without lugging the engine. I am getting decent mileage from other cars I've driven, so I guess there's something pending to be fine tuned. Guys please pour in your suggestions for what all things I've to cross check before negotiating with the SVC as they are not in a receiving
end.
As Topolino mentioned, please get your oxygen/lambda sensor checked during your next visit to service center.

In my experience, I got max FE during my long drives in the speed range of 70-90kmph.
I do up shift as early as possible and try to be in the top gear most of the time - almost in the same speed range mentioned by Topolino.

I have been tracking my FE for almost 1.5 years.
Recently there is a slight drop in the FE because of my driving style. Initially I was driving carefully when the car was new, but now the car has become 1.5 year old and I am a bit careless and very often do fast drives above 100kmph.
Here is my FE log..
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-fe.jpg
Old 26th September 2011, 20:24   #2111
BHPian

Quote:
Today I made a visit to GM SVC here for a long pending complaint ie; low FE, my best figure was only 10-12Kpl with 50% AC, sedate driving on highways. The SVC person suggested for a real time mileage monitoring ride, where they will install an equipment for testing the FE and I will've to drive to get the real readings to my driving style. According to GM, its very expensive and have latest technology for FE monitoring. But once I saw this so called equipment, the image in my mind changed. Its like a crude machine with a separate fuel pump with a small reservoir for fuel. And the funniest thing is, it doesn;t have any readings of the fuel consumption except the glass tube readings where the level of the fuel can be monitored(I've circled the side where the glass tube sits).This is the one they've connected to the car. Sorry for the crappy pic, my mobile cam is'nt good to take an impressive pic and I took the pic while the car was on move.

Attachment 615267

They've disconnected the fuel pump and connected this sophisticated one in place AFAIK. I guess it can contain 0.75ltr of petrol and I was told that he will run the car with 500ml of petrol and do the math X 2 to get the FE. We started off by resetting the trip meter, but to my surprise, he only drove the car and that too in a very very sedate style,strictly not to rev beyond 1K, and sticking to 40Kph and the route he'd chosen was an empty strech. For him, this is the optimum speed to check the FE and beyond this speed the FE will affect badly. When I asked him whether anyone will drive to this speed in a car for better FE, his answer was a blank smile. I was not in a mood to argue with him as I was late by almost 3hrs to work. I got the appointment by 9.30 and it took almost 2hrs to fit the equipment, we started off by 11.30 and that too after complaining about this delay to the Work Shop Engg in charge. We drove about 8.6Kms with 500ml of petrol so the ideal FE as per this hi funda machine is 8.6X2=17.2 Kpl. I was in the rear seat as the co passenger seat was occupied by the equipment so was not able to judge the fuel level and the driver too was judging from the seating level which is not a accurate one too. I asked him for one more drive on 60kph range but he was reluctant to do so and so do I just because I was annoyed by these suspicious acts of these guys.

According to Mr. Arun Ram, Workshop Engineer In charge, its the best mileage for Beat as ARAI figures are almost tallying with the current one. For them this car don't've any sign of symptoms or error codes when they analyse the ECU data and there's no point in re examining after this mileage test

Do you guys believe this as the real figures? I don't think so, I tried to convince him that this is not a realistic figure and am getting better FE on other cars, so my driving style is out of question. And about the mileage on other Beats are getting above 17kpl with the speedo around 60-70kph in mixed conditions, but he was not in the receiving end and I was also in a hurry to return to work as some of my clients are waiting for me. What he suggested is will do with a full tank-auto cut off spin for 20-30kms and filling method. I accepted that even though I've done it 2-3 times though to make them convince that its a low FE and we will do this in a couple of days to verify.

end.
I am getting similar FE like you.

I have raised a complaint in chevy customer care about the mileage issue. As per expert advice from TBHP,I asked my service advisor to replace the oxygen sensor. He said, unless they don’t get any error code, he cannot do that. He also told me that they have a 'Particular device' to do the mileage testing. He said, we will test you mileage with this device. Then we will do a complete checkup. This will take at least a day time.I didn’t find enough time to take it to service center. Good you showed us the 'Particular device’, now that I won’t be shocked to see it for first time. I was thinking of some device with a display screenland seeing all real-time sensor values etc. This is pathetic 'Particular device'
Old 27th September 2011, 11:27   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
end.
Sajit I think earlier you had problem with the pulling of car in 2nd gear and low FE with original ECU setting. Thereafter you got ECU remapped, though the pulling in 2nd gear improved but your car had new problem with pulling power in 1st gear. I suppose your car is running on version xxxxxY3 which was in force last year and was named second gear improvement setting. I too opted for xxxxxY3 setting last year but as I faced knocking issue and low FE with it, I reverted to the original ECU setting. When I came to know that remapping software has been updated and now the version xxxxxY4 is available, I got ECU remapped again. Now there is an improvement in drivability with AC and full load and also FE has not dropped. You can also opt for this latest version xxxxxY4 which is named as Performance Improvement (2nd Gear/Drivability) Setting. I have run my car on all 3 settings namely Original/Normal, 2nd Gear Improvement (xxxxxY3) & Performance Improvement (2nd Gear/Drivability) (xxxxxY4) Settings and from my experience can surely say that the xxxxxY4 is the best one for optimum performance and FE.
Topolino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2011, 11:35   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Last Sunday me and wify did a trip to Indian F1 track (Buddh International Circuit) in Greater Noida. I did few spirited driving with our Beaty. It was noon time and roads were empty. Most of the time the speed was near 120 and few times I took her to 145 (there was enough juice left to go more but wify was scared) for the first time. Millage was terrible at 12.5 Kmpl (100% AC). But after that ride the engine had become more rev-happy and the pick-up too improved. The best mileage achieved (in summers) till date in City with 70% AC is 13.5 kmpl and highway with 100% AC is 17.2 kmpl respectively. In winters without AC the mileage is 14.8 kmpl in City.

To get optimum mileage up-shift early and cruise at 1800 to 2000 RPM with speed ranging between 70 to 80 Kmph.

Fuel used IOC regular. ODO:10500KM

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 27th September 2011 at 11:38.
Old 27th September 2011, 12:11   #2114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
As Topolino mentioned, please get your oxygen/lambda sensor checked during your next visit to service center.
How do I ask them when they've concluded that there's no error code is registered in the ECU data? Or is there any other check measures that we can do?

Quote:
In my experience, I got max FE during my long drives in the speed range of 70-90kmph.
I do up shift as early as possible and try to be in the top gear most of the time - almost in the same speed range mentioned by Topolino.
I also have the same experience that if we keep the speed around 60-80kph with early shift will return the best FE from other cars I've driven. But when I heard from the GM that @40Kph is the best FE sweet range, I was really pissed off. How can one stick to such speed range which is considered to be snail pace for a car? Then what about the others getting on the higher range? But these guys are very adamant in sticking on to their statement than justifying the better FE on 60-80 Kph range.

Quote:
I have been tracking my FE for almost 1.5 years.
Recently there is a slight drop in the FE because of my driving style. Initially I was driving carefully when the car was new, but now the car has become 1.5 year old and I am a bit careless and very often do fast drives above 100kmph.
Hats off to you man, never had such practice of logging all refills except for some casual FE checkups. The only way to keep track of my refills, I've to trace my CC bills

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
I am getting similar FE like you.

I have raised a complaint in chevy customer care about the mileage issue. As per expert advice from TBHP,I asked my service advisor to replace the oxygen sensor. He said, unless they don’t get any error code, he cannot do that. He also told me that they have a 'Particular device' to do the mileage testing. He said, we will test you mileage with this device. Then we will do a complete checkup. This will take at least a day time.I didn’t find enough time to take it to service center. Good you showed us the 'Particular device’, now that I won’t be shocked to see it for first time. I was thinking of some device with a display screenland seeing all real-time sensor values etc. This is pathetic 'Particular device'
Aahh.. what a relief. Am not alone. I got 8.6Km out of 500ml as per the driver and it can be false also as he can only see the levels on the equipment and the judging level is too high so anyway thats not going to be accurate. I would say its just a gimmick to fool the customers by showing unrealistic FE figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Sajit I think earlier you had problem with the pulling of car in 2nd gear and low FE with original ECU setting. Thereafter you got ECU remapped, though the pulling in 2nd gear improved but your car had new problem with pulling power in 1st gear. I suppose your car is running on version xxxxxY3 which was in force last year and was named second gear improvement setting. I too opted for xxxxxY3 setting last year but as I faced knocking issue and low FE with it, I reverted to the original ECU setting. When I came to know that remapping software has been updated and now the version xxxxxY4 is available, I got ECU remapped again. Now there is an improvement in drivability with AC and full load and also FE has not dropped. You can also opt for this latest version xxxxxY4 which is named as Performance Improvement (2nd Gear/Drivability) Setting. I have run my car on all 3 settings namely Original/Normal, 2nd Gear Improvement (xxxxxY3) & Performance Improvement (2nd Gear/Drivability) (xxxxxY4) Settings and from my experience can surely say that the xxxxxY4 is the best one for optimum performance and FE.
Thanks for the update, you got a very good memory too. Yes, on first gear it showing less power some times especially on AC, now I'll switch off the AC and do it, then its not troubling much. I'll make sure to check the firmware version next time I make the visit to GM, and will ask them to update if it requires. But one thing is for sure, GM'd chosen a wrong gear ratio for this car in terms of drive-ability and FE hence the update in ECU firmware every now and then which is very unlikely to other cars.

Now they suggested me to do a full tank auto cutoff 20KMs spin and full tank auto cut off to check the exact mileage. The engineer was saying that I'll get a better figure if I do this than the equipment registered FE. Then whats the credibility of this so called expensive machine? Unfortunately I couldn't make much arguments at that time as I was delayed to work, next time I'll find some free time and do this.

Last edited by sajjt : 27th September 2011 at 12:19.
Old 27th September 2011, 14:44   #2115
BHPian

Quote:
Aahh.. what a relief. Am not alone. I got 8.6Km out of 500ml as per the driver and it can be false also as he can only see the levels on the equipment and the judging level is too high so anyway thats not going to be accurate. I would say its just a gimmick to fool the customers by showing unrealistic FE figures.
Today I got call from trident asking about my FE issue.They have asked me to come down tomorrow and they will do the FE test.They said,it may take 3 hrs and they want me to be with them.I think,they will do the same with me.

Most Viewed