Team-BHP - Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Official New Car Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/)
-   -   Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/71073-chevrolet-beat-test-drive-review-142.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by white-rabbit (Post 2521751)
Today I got call from trident asking about my FE issue.They have asked me to come down tomorrow and they will do the FE test.They said,it may take 3 hrs and they want me to be with them.I think,they will do the same with me.

Do not let them to drive, instead, you drive and test the FE. Also do not be too sedate like what they did to me, I was in a hurry so I couldnt make it, hence the tip. I was in a frustrated mood to see that stuff and check the fuel level before and finishing the test personally rather depending on the SVC guy.

They are right, ready to spare atlest 3 hrs, fitting the instrument I've to wait for 2 hrs and the spin took only 15 mins max another 5 min to disconnect it and feed the stock fuel pump or so. I've seen the Fuel pump fuse was lying on the dash and upon asking they said its for the pump. I thought its just a P&P installation like once we had a FE test from old good Maruti where they have a small handy device connected to the ECU and its got readings of fuel consumed to be tallied with the odo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajjt (Post 2521787)
Do not let them to drive, instead, you drive and test the FE. Also do not be too sedate like what they did to me, I was in a hurry so I couldnt make it, hence the tip. I was in a frustrated mood to see that stuff and check the fuel level before and finishing the test personally rather depending on the SVC guy.

They are right, ready to spare atlest 3 hrs, fitting the instrument I've to wait for 2 hrs and the spin took only 15 mins max another 5 min to disconnect it and feed the stock fuel pump or so. I've seen the Fuel pump fuse was lying on the dash and upon asking they said its for the pump. I thought its just a P&P installation like once we had a FE test from old good Maruti where they have a small handy device connected to the ECU and its got readings of fuel consumed to be tallied with the odo.

Guys, this is surprising news for me. I am constantly getting a FE of 18+ Kmpl on highways with AC on and 5 passengers on board.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Beat (Post 2521835)
Guys, this is surprising news for me. I am constantly getting a FE of 18+ Kmpl on highways with AC on and 5 passengers on board.
  • I am doing around 1200 kms per month as i have started car pooling hence the shared costs.
  • On a full tank using auto-cutoff method, i can easily cover 650+ Kms for a petrol ranging from 32-34 Liters.
  • Here is how i drive,
  • 1st gear, just to start
  • 2nd gear, till around 15 Km/hr,
  • 3rd gear, till 40 km/hr
  • 4th gear, till 60 km/hr
  • 5th gear, 60 km/hr and above.
  • One thing to note is that, i NEVER push the car above 3000 RPM
  • Also, the worst FE that i have ever got during the ownership is 16.1 Kmpl with the latest FE being 19.2 KMPL without AC but windows rolled down on highway at speeds not exceeding 90 km/hr

Am jealous :D Wish I had your worst FE as my best.

But there are people out there with low FE on a Beat, at the time of CCOP introduction, met some owners who used to complain about the low FE and they were consoled by telling them to wait till the 5K service to be crossed so that the engine will be more refined. Unfortunately I couldn't contact them after that for an update.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajjt (Post 2521852)
Am jealous :D Wish I had your worst FE as my best.

But there are people out there with low FE on a Beat, at the time of CCOP introduction, met some owners who used to complain about the low FE and they were consoled by telling them to wait till the 5K service to be crossed so that the engine will be more refined. Unfortunately I couldn't contact them after that for an update.

Few things that i am sure you must have tried but jut to reiterate,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Beat (Post 2521875)
  • Tyre pressure is most of the time maintained to 36 Psi ( I know this is high, but it makes a difference) stupid:
  • Do not accelerate when you anticipate a slope ahead of you.
  • Always use the proper gear to maintain the Rpm

After all these info,I changed my driving style completely.I started using my car on off-peak traffic hours.Never pushed RPM above 2.2.Used to do up-shift as soon as possible.Kill engine at the earliest at signals.Maintain a speed of 50-70 allways.Never place my leg on clutch.Now odo has clocked 200km and half a tank petrol is left.I am yet to conclude,as last time it ran 340 km for 28L.Most of the time,I will be the only passenger in car

Quote:

Originally Posted by white-rabbit (Post 2521970)
After all these info,I changed my driving style completely.I started using my car on off-peak traffic hours.Never pushed RPM above 2.2.Used to do up-shift as soon as possible.Kill engine at the earliest at signals.Maintain a speed of 50-70 allways.Never place my leg on clutch.Now odo has clocked 200km and half a tank petrol is left.I am yet to conclude,as last time it ran 340 km for 28L.Most of the time,I will be the only passenger in car

:eek:
200 for half tank of petrol is still quite less. My target which i mostly achieve is 400 Kms for half of the bars and then push the rest to 650-700 Kms. This is always on highway with 5 passengers on board. You should get your car checked, i guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Beat (Post 2522977)
:eek:
200 for half tank of petrol is still quite less. My target which i mostly achieve is 400 Kms for half of the bars and then push the rest to 650-700 Kms. This is always on highway with 5 passengers on board. You should get your car checked, i guess.

This driving is in bangalore city with almost 80% ac.I had a fill of 30L for the full tank.

Today was a day of surprises for me.

I just returned from the FE test. The device was a Glass jar, with some volume readings (hand marked).As Sajjt said, they disconnected the petrol pump and connected it to the jar. When he disconnected the pump, he let some petrol drain from the tubes. We were 3 people on board and tyre pressure was 33.

The advisor asked to fill 1L of petrol from Indian oil petrol bunk. The jar exactly read 1L.Then he connected it to the car's petrol pump.

The moment I started the car, Petrol started spilling out through the joints of pipes. He had to remove the pipes and fit it again to stop the leak. I think there was some 100ML spill happened.
He switched off the AC and asked me to drive. It was peak traffic hours.

I tested it on my daily commute route(home-to-office).The reading was shocking.9.6 KM:Frustrati.There was some 100ml petrol left out in the jar as pump cannot pull that.One way I was happy and the other way I was desperate. The happy part was-I was able to show him the poor FE. He said we will fill again, this time he will drive. We had a fill from Bharat petroleum nearby. The petrol level in the jar was slightly above the 1L marking in the jar(I think the amount of petrol left out in the jars after the first try).He started driving. He said his target is 14.We took the same route again. To my surprise, It ran 14.6 KM(in B2B traffic).

The test was super transparent. I am completely satisfied with the way they did. But I am shocked by the difference. I asked for one more try from my side. Then he said: Sir, my manager keeps on calling me, It’s really late (it was 1:30 pm) We can do test some other day again. I am sure, your car will clock 20km on highways without ac. usually all Beat is giving between 13.4-14 in these condition. Yours crossed my expectation also...etc'
I am confused:deadhorse. What do you guys think?
He also adviced to avoid putting extra rpm in 1st and 2nd gear(I do advance a little rpm in 2nd gears to avoid knocking)
Also see the photos I clicked during the test.

These are few info I got while talking to service manager of trident today(casual talk,as I know him for a long time):
1)They fill pure water in windscreen washer tank during free service(do not add shampoo).The shampoo will cost Rs.60 for a packet.They will do it only in paid services,even though you have 3 years free maintenance.(I am thinking about engine oil now).Lately when I was about to leave,he gave me one packet of shampoo for free.

2)Setting up HID will not void warranty.According to him,one beat,a KL reg one has setup HID from JC road(I have seen that car.He stays some where near my house).Later he reverted back to the original headlights due to some problems like fog developing inside headlight etc.I am trying to contact this guy and get more info on HID setup.

Hope this info will be of some use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Beat (Post 2521875)
  • Tyre pressure is most of the time maintained to 36 Psi ( I know this is high, but it makes a difference) stupid:
  • Do not accelerate when you anticipate a slope ahead of you.
  • Always use the proper gear to maintain the Rpm

May be thats one of the reason for the higher FE in your case, I would always stick to the company suggested 32Psi as its the ideal one for the under sized tyres. But still 4 psi difference will make this much of difference? I guess you are getting this on long run on highways.

Rest of the tips are the rule of thumb since the day one I've started driving. My tacho had never made a visit to beyond 3K till date and mostly will be sticking around 1.5K range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by white-rabbit (Post 2521970)

I guess we have some thing in common:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by white-rabbit (Post 2523670)

I just returned from the FE test. The device was a Glass jar, with some volume readings (hand marked).As Sajjt said, they disconnected the petrol pump and connected it to the jar. When he disconnected the pump, he let some petrol drain from the tubes. We were 3 people on board and tyre pressure was 33.

You got a hi fi device than I got to check the FE. Mine was taken from the engine side to bypass the fuel pump as the equipment has got a inbuilt pump.

At least they could buy a Scan gauge for a real time monitoring than these crude methods. It reminds me of checking my old Bajaj 4S which was supposed to give 85kpl as per ad but I got only 55kpl, the road show revealed that it can do 100Kpl if you do a non stop strictly stick to the 40Kph:D. Later they've corrected the issue which was a faulty spark plug.

Quote:

The advisor asked to fill 1L of petrol from Indian oil petrol bunk. The jar exactly read 1L.Then he connected it to the car's petrol pump.

The moment I started the car, Petrol started spilling out through the joints of pipes. He had to remove the pipes and fit it again to stop the leak. I think there was some 100ML spill happened.

I tested it on my daily commute route(home-to-office).The reading was shocking.9.6 KM:Frustrati.

How was your driving style? Too sedate like my driver's? In my case he didn't switched off the A/c, but strictly to 40 Kph.

If your observation is right, you've spilled and left over fuel was 200ml so add that too, definitely its touching 12Kpl but still not in a economy range.

Quote:

There was some 100ml petrol left out in the jar as pump cannot pull that.One way I was happy and the other way I was desperate. The happy part was-I was able to show him the poor FE. He said we will fill again, this time he will drive. We had a fill from Bharat petroleum nearby. The petrol level in the jar was slightly above the 1L marking in the jar(I think the amount of petrol left out in the jars after the first try).He started driving. He said his target is 14.We took the same route again. To my surprise, It ran 14.6 KM(in B2B traffic).

How was the driving style this time? I guess this time the left over petrol in the bottle helped him to to get the additional kms.

Salbin, am seriously thinking of to go for a Scangauge just convince these guys and I dont mind in donating it to them if they correct my issues. What about your OBD reader? Any news?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sajjt (Post 2523736)
[/b]How was your driving style? Too sedate like my driver's? In my case he didn't switched off the A/c, but strictly to 40 Kph.

It was not too harsh.I drove just as i drive every day.Kept rpm below 2.I was not in a hurry.

Quote:

How was the driving style this time? I guess this time the left over petrol in the bottle helped him to to get the additional kms.

He was pretty relaxed.Talking over phone most of the time.One thing i noticed was he was doing upshift at 40km speed and was sticking to 3rd and 4th gear even in bumpy roads.He said not to accelarate in
Inclination .

Quote:

Salbin, am seriously thinking of to go for a Scangauge just convince these guys and I dont mind in donating it to them if they correct my issues. What about your OBD reader? Any news?

Oh.. That was a flop story:Frustrati.
It is almost 2 months since I placed the order and I am yet to receive the item.
I have almost forgotten about it and there seems to be no chance of getting it after 2 months.
I bought it with standard shipping option from ebay for $16.5- so no tracking was available.
The item was shipped on the next day of ordering and the seller had good reviews from the buyers. So it might have lost at Indian Customs:deadhorse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by salbin (Post 2523793)
Oh.. That was a flop story:Frustrati.
It is almost 2 months since I placed the order and I am yet to receive the item.
I have almost forgotten about it and there seems to be no chance of getting it after 2 months.
I bought it with standard shipping option from ebay for $16.5- so no tracking was available.
The item was shipped on the next day of ordering and the seller had good reviews from the buyers. So it might have lost at Indian Customs:deadhorse.

Although i agree that the current device used by chevy people looks stone age, but don't you think it is more transparent than the OBD/ real time FE monitoring electronic devices?

I mean, here you can see the petrol level going down peoperly and can judge accordingly.

Quote:

I tested it on my daily commute route(home-to-office).The reading was shocking.9.6 KM:Frustrati.

The test was super transparent. I am completely satisfied with the way they did. But I am shocked by the difference.

So, the Chevy person could get to 14+ on a similar route. Lets say he got to use 1.1 Liter instead of 1 liter, even then a mileage of 13 or so on traffic is quite satisfactory.

Try staying in 3rd gear as much as possible and try and notice the difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Beat (Post 2524950)
So, the Chevy person could get to 14+ on a similar route. Lets say he got to use 1.1 Liter instead of 1 liter, even then a mileage of 13 or so on traffic is quite satisfactory.

Try staying in 3rd gear as much as possible and try and notice the difference.

Yeah.I have to change my driving style in city.
I noticed that 2 bars is missing from the odo after they reconnected the pump.Is it normal?

:OT
Just saw this video in youtube.
Carmode Photo day!! Koreans seems to be crazy about modding Chevy Beatslol:

Tuning cars in korea (invited cars to carmode photo days) 20110108 - YouTube!