Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2011, 17:43   #2221
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
What all accessories did you go for?How did you find the car?
Accessories received are:
1. Music system(JVC) with 4 pio speakers
2. Mudflaps(yet to receive them-out of stock)
3. Floor mats
4. Sunfilm
5. Car cover and
6. Chevy keychain, teddy, chocolate box, tissue box.

I intend to install fog lamps and key-less entry in the near future. Hope they do not void warranty :(

I am yet to drive the car out of E city( My FIL is doing so at the present, but I find the car very comfortable and the 3rd gear is amazing- it pulls you from 1500 rpms with ease . I do not know about the mileage though..150 Kms and already two bars reduced :(

Last edited by adg_andy : 9th November 2011 at 17:47.
Old 11th November 2011, 12:33   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Mileage Update

For the first time in my Beat's ownership (18 Months clocking 13000 KMs) I got the maximum mileage this time - 15.31kmpl. 195 Kms b2b traffic w/o AC (Solo Drive) and 28 Kms Gurgaon Expressway with AC (Me & Wife)

Observations:
  • Delhi Morning/Evening (driving times) temperature recently came down drastically
  • ECM software update to Performance Improvement (2nd Gear/Drivability) (xxxxxY4) - highly recommended
  • Driving in 4th gear @ 1600 RPM (speed 40 to 50kmph) instead of 5th gear @ 1400 RPM (speed 40 to 50kmph) in City driving conditions. Speeds over 50 kmph in 5th gear 1600-2000 RPM with a cap of 70-80.
Cheers!

Vinu
Old 14th November 2011, 16:11   #2223
Senior - BHPian

Update after a long drive

I'm just after a 300 km drive(rarely in city) on the Beat which fetched me an FE of 15 with A/C and 17 without it. This is what I get constantly, not much variation from previous readings.

During my 1k service, I had complained of a faint sound from the front right side of the car, like something near the steering seemed broken. This is mostly heard on wavery roads(roads with lots of small undulations, not big enough to be a pothole). Now this has resurfaced, but more towards the left side.

Another thing I noticed is that the steering wobbles(turns left and right) heavily at speeds above 100. What could it be? Couldn't take her above 110 due to this.

Also, I had noticed excessive vibration on the steering when the radiator(I guess) fan runs initially as the A/C is switched on. So, in auto A/C mode, and at higher temperature(I do like to keep the temperature near 23 sometimes), the steering vibration is a nuisance every now and then when the compressor switches on.

God, how can I make these service advisers first recognize these issues, then accept the issue, and finally rectify it? Car owning is beginning to be such a headache nowadays. Even a new one! Or is it just my piece?
Old 14th November 2011, 21:01   #2224
BHPian

We do have mileage issues with Beat.What I understood is you can expect 15-16 with AC on in highways and 12.5-13.5 in city with 60%-70% use of AC ,on an average.

Guys,any Idea where to find a Flip-key maker in Bangalore?

Last edited by white-rabbit : 14th November 2011 at 21:07.
Old 14th November 2011, 21:35   #2225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I am having mixed opinion on the fuel efficiency of our petrol Beat having run 3000+ kms. Why I am much concerned on the FE of the Beat is that, FE was one major reason we went for the Beat as a second car to the family dreaming about fuel efficient city drives in the 'era of ever-increasing petrol prices'.

The Beat has been promoted as a highly fuel efficient vehicle by Chevrolet/dealers and they have got the ARAI certification of 18.6 kmpl as claim. We had also been given by the dealer reference of existing customers who claimed a minimum of 14-15 kmpl in city drives. One other customer we met on the road alone was not happy on the drinking habit of the beat and he quoted a 12 kmpl. The dealers also quoted a 15 kmpl in the city for the Beat and 18 on the highway.

Dealers and Chevrolet, please do not think that I am here for bashing you, but I wanted to get public clarification on the car and also wanted to share my short review.

For us, we are getting a paltry 10-11 kmpl in the city with A/C switched on, which I believe even sedans like the Honda City would give along with lot of power under the foot. Switching off the A/C would take the FE to 12-13 kmpl. On the highway run, we are consistently getting 14-15 kmpl with the conditioner on and 17 kmpl with A/C off. I wanted to clarify if is this all we get under normal usage? Also, does the A/C drink too much of fuel (3 kmpl difference on the highway)? In addition, comparing to a i10, Baleno and Swift, I have not felt the A/C to be a 'chiller' as some of you have reported. Is it me alone?

I have complained to the service centre about low FE and the adviser has asked me to wait till 6000-7000 kms and a couple of services. I do not get the point in waiting for this much to get the real picture in terms of FE. If this is true, why is it so, especially for the Beat?

Since I wanted to care for the new car, I drive calm, sedate, and up-shifting early (starting with 2000 rpm if possible), which I do not think is very practical on the Beat as the low-end torque is pretty bad. I have felt that the low-end torque affects drivability if we are not really careful. Overtaking trucks and trailers is a pain and a bit dangerous even if we downshift, immediate power surge is unavailable. Sometimes I tend to curse our buy as I wonder where the 80 horses disappeared. Adding to this, what perplexes me is that the low FE has not even turned out to better power in general. Yet again, I wanted to know if it is my car alone or can it be improved? Ours is a post Feb '11 model, with me having no idea on the current ECU settings it have.

The low-end torque might not be much an issue for the first time car owner but me having driven an 800cc Matiz and a 1600cc Baleno both for close to 5 years separately, think the Beat's 1200cc is marginally better than the Matiz in terms of high speed yet much worse in terms of FE and drivability in city. My in-law's IRDE i10, which was the inspiration for us to go for a fuel efficient small city car, is delivering better pick-up, drivability and very good FE of approx 16-17 kmpl in city and 20-21 kmpl on the highway with the A/C on all the time.

In the same breath, I should also comment on a particular incident which I ventured into - a highly sedate fuel efficient drive which is very impractical in day-to-day life. One sunday afternoon, after filling petrol for 300/- from an identified pump as the best around, switching off all comforts, I hit the highway with the lightest of foot I ever can and it took me close to 110 kms. The result of staying in the lowest of RPMs possible, constant speeds of 50 - 60 kmph, freewheeling(I know it is highly not recommended for the brakes and stopping abilities of the car) on declines and on anticipated braking opportunities : approx 25 kmpl FE, a splitting headache for my co-passenger and a stiff foot for me(I felt the incline of the accelerator pedal a bit steep for my foot). But this incident does not make me a bit happy as this is not at all how you drive in reality.

It is also not good to leave out the unique positives of the Beat. Some few points are as below. Maybe some other time I will try writing a detailed review with more positives and negatives. First and foremost, is the futuristic design, especially the front and side profiles. Even the latest EON has copied and made better the side profile of the Beat. Next is the interior layout along with the blue lighting effects which I think can easily be incorporated into many high end cars leading to awe inspiring interiors all together, but unfortunately, they are not making use of. Another is the low NVH at near idle speeds is a never before experience. I have not seen a lighter clutch in another vehicle. Also, the smoothness of the drive on good highways at moderate speeds(till 100 kmph) feels like it is a good cruiser(don't torch me for this, as I feel we do not have the roads and laws for much high speed driving), especially on the comfortable front seats. In its segment, the Beat should be a satisfying car for the front co-passenger, with ample leg space, good seat and head support, a smooth ride up front, classy interior lights to his/her right, than the driver, getting frustrated on the lack of pick-up and his pocket emptying fast due to frequent visits to the petrol bunk . Remembering somebody pointing out the Beat as "the best car for your girl friend", but forgetting who.

P.S. Due to the above positives of the Beat, I feel like taking her out quite often, albeit in a relaxed manner. But at the end of the day, the practicality of the Beat is making me constantly thinking of skipping my 'Heart-Beat'. There is no smilie for depressed! Yes, that is exactly what it makes me feel more often than pride and happiness.

P.S.S. I calculate FE not based on top-up but on consumption till reserve, taking a consecutive average for more than one filling to reduce error. I do keep a regular check on the tire pressure too.
So true! This is the very reason I plan to sell my car away. A steep 33% rise in petrol price over 16 months and the low FE of the BEAT has already taken me off the car and onto the bike. I had initially bought the car hoping to drive it daily and expecting 17-18 kmpl in the city, what with my extremely light foot acceleration and other hypermiling techniques I use, and I drove slightly early in the morning just to avoid the rush hour. Nothing works man! Nothing! My car has done 9000km and I only manage to get 14-15 in the city with extreme hypermiling (risky and boring) and AC on/off. This is not how you drive a car!

I used to drive an automatic 8 year old Nissan Sentra in the US and it used to get me better FE on the hwy at much higher speeds. I won't compare city since they are incomparable with Indian cities.

Last edited by hellmet : 14th November 2011 at 21:38.
Old 14th November 2011, 23:15   #2226
BHPian

Re: Update after a long drive

Quote:
Another thing I noticed is that the steering wobbles(turns left and right) heavily at speeds above 100. What could it be? Couldn't take her above 110 due to this.
Just go to a good Tyre shop and get your wheels balanced - at least the front wheels.
Balancing costs ~50-60 per wheel IIRC.
The wobbling could be due to the unbalance in the wheels.
You dont need to go to GM service for this

Last edited by salbin : 14th November 2011 at 23:18. Reason: edit
Old 16th November 2011, 18:46   #2227
BHPian

Guys,Need a couple of clarification.

1)In the user guide I saw a password locking for the music system.It is metioned 'For perticular models only'.I tried it in my car,but didnt work.Did anybody ever tried this?

2)After second service,When ever I switchoff the car and switch on the Music system's volume goes back to 15,No matter I set in any level.Is there a way to change the sound from 15 to custom level?Why this has happened?

3)if we set the temperature and simply switch on the fan(blower,with ac off) why the air from the blower vary in temparature?I have expirimented this with various temparature.I could feel hot air when I put it in 26C but not so cold air if i put it in Low
Old 16th November 2011, 22:25   #2228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,Need a couple of clarification.
1) Is it written "for particular models only"? Which page? In my user guide, it is on the first page of the Infotainment System under the heading Theft-Deterrent Feature. Sadly, neither did the procedure explained work for me nor did my infotainment system come with the sticker containing the code for locking. I think some others have already tried it. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2306823. Could those who have tried it please put in your comments. Did the initial step work? ("Press [POWER] simultaneously holding down [INFO] and [4]")

2) Does it go back to 15 from whatever level you were at? Mine does reset back to 15 only if the volume was above 15. If this is the case, then it is working as desired. See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post1762449

3) You might have tried it while the engine was still hot. Only the normal mixing of the hot air/cold air happened in your case. When the A/C is on, as you increase the temperature on the temperature knob from LO, the knob acts like a mixer of hot air (heat from the engine is utilized) to the cold air from the A/C. When the A/C is not on, the fan alone cannot reduce the internal temperature way below the outside temperature, which is why you felt 'not so cold air' on putting LO. Just try with a really cold engine and you wont feel any difference in temperature, using the fan alone, even if you vary the temperature knob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
The wobbling could be due to the unbalance in the wheels.
Thanks, but why does this want to happen in a new car? Moreover, the same issue was said to be fixed in the first re-assurance check-up!

Last edited by thoma : 16th November 2011 at 22:38. Reason: Multi-quote; Added link for item 2.
Old 16th November 2011, 22:32   #2229
BHPian

Quote:
2) Does it go back to 15 from whatever level you were at? Mine does reset back to 15 only if the volume was above 15.
Same here

Quote:
3) You might have tried it while the engine was still hot. Only the normal mixing of the hot air/cold air happened in your case. When the A/C is on, as you increase the temperature on the temperature knob from LO, the knob acts like a mixer of hot air (heat from the engine is utilized) to the cold air from the A/C. When the A/C is not on, the fan alone cannot reduce the internal temperature way below the outside temperature, which is why you felt 'not so cold air' on putting LO. Just try with a really cold engine and you wont feel any difference in temperature, using the fan alone, even if you vary the temperature knob.
I Tried it for a number of times at different conditions,its true.
Old 17th November 2011, 11:19   #2230
BHPian

Quote:
if we set the temperature and simply switch on the fan(blower,with ac off) why the air from the blower vary in temparature?I have expirimented this with various temparature.I could feel hot air when I put it in 26C but not so cold air if i put it in Low
Quote:

I Tried it for a number of times at different conditions,its true.
If you want to use only blower you will have to keep the temperature knob set at Lo. With temperature set at Lo, if you keep the recirculation mode on then the blower throws air at temperature that is within the car's cabin, if you select fresh air mode then blower will throw outside air at atmospheric temperature. If you vary temperature above Lo then Heater gets on, that is why you feel hot air.
Old 17th November 2011, 21:42   #2231
BHPian

My music system is not addressing anything more than 2gb(pendrive).That is,if i put a 4gb pendrive with full data,it will read only first 2gb data.Is it the same with others?or it is just mine?
Old 18th November 2011, 13:59   #2232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My music system is not addressing anything more than 2gb(pendrive).That is,if i put a 4gb pendrive with full data,it will read only first 2gb data.Is it the same with others?or it is just mine?
I don't have any issues with my 4GB pen drive. I just checked my pen drive to find close to 3GB data in it.
Old 18th November 2011, 19:37   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
I don't have any issues with my 4GB pen drive. I just checked my pen drive to find close to 3GB data in it.
did you try playing all the songs.Try this:
Fill it with all 4gb and try playing all songs.
At a perticular pint,it will say 'File check' and will start plaing it from the begining.Let me know your result.
Old 18th November 2011, 22:49   #2234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
did you try playing all the songs.Try this:
Fill it with all 4gb and try playing all songs.
At a perticular pint,it will say 'File check' and will start plaing it from the begining.Let me know your result.
I tried playing some 650 songs making 4GB. I didn't encounter any issues. But, I doubt how the HU will show song numbers above 999. The LCD has only support for 3 digits to display the song number!

I had read about some issues of the HU not reading all songs in this thread itself. Might be you can ask those people who have experimented more with the HU. Here they are.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post1920219
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post1924492

Apart, contrary to the negative reviews for the stock HU and speaker setup on the Beat, I find it has got nice thump and stability(no distortion of the speaker cones) at high volumes than say a Sony Explode in an i10 and an OEM Kenwood in a Baleno. The only issue is when the volume is low or when the original track quality is low, it sounds awful. By the way, I use the jazz preset. Other presets are also not that great.
Old 19th November 2011, 21:54   #2235
BHPian

Well, updating after almost a month. Have completed almost 10,000 Kms in 16 months of ownership. Will be updating the ownership thread with the experience. Now, this month i tested the beat "FE" a little.,thinking that i am a very light footed driver which is why maybe the mileage figure i am getting must be high. So this time around, i had the AC on for about 40-50% of my drives instead of the usual 5-10% and drove in the range of 80-100 Km/hr ( Mostly at around 85-90) and the change in FE was shocking.

Kms driven: 640.8
Total Fuel consumed: 31.1 Liters at 70.xx Rs/Ltr

Fuel Efficiency: 20.60 Kmpl

Note:
1.Most of the driving is done on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway on weekends.
2.This time on the other hand, some of the driving was also done in the city with the AC.
3. Never ever in any of the gears did i cross 3000 RPM, it was mostly maintained at around 2400-2800 RPM.
4. Previously the FE i used the get was around 19 Kmpl so an increase of about 1.5 Kmpl ( How do you justify that?)

Last edited by Mr.Beat : 19th November 2011 at 21:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks