Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 20:49   #2251
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Why is this difference in cost for engine oil? Though my engine oil is nowhere near dark, I am thinking of asking for an oil change for my 6-month service next month.

Have anyone noted one thing - in idle, when I try press the accelerator in neutral, as lightly and slowly as I can, the engine do not rev more untill I press more and more. And then the RPM jumps away uncontrollably (sudden increase to 1.5k+) after a point of pressure on the pedal. I could never rev it to a 1k constantly! Why is this delay and then a sudden surge? Won't this be also happening while I am driving in gear? A delay and a sudden surge to higher RPM than what we expect?
I did try that today but did not get the lag at all. Will try again maybe in the morning or so maybe when i start the car after a week or so.

Anyways guys, call me a FE addict but this time drove the car in city limits at times in stop go traffic with 100% AC

Total Kilometers driven: 243 Kms
Fuel Consumed: 17 L
FE: 14.3 Kmpl

So, a difference of around 6 Kmpl in city and highway conditions almost.

Regarding the oil change, which one is the correct one and how much should it cost?
Old 26th November 2011, 21:45   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I did try that today but did not get the lag at all.

FE: 14.3 Kmpl
So, a difference of around 6 Kmpl in city and highway conditions almost.

Regarding the oil change, which one is the correct one and how much should it cost?
You mean to say you are getting 20 kmpl on the highway with A/C? Except for a few like you and Topolino nobody are constantly getting good FE!

About the 1000 RPM revving, I just wanted to know if you could keep the RPM constant at 1000 for a long time (at least 30 sec) in neutral, using your foot?

Even if they used different brands of oil, does the difference in brand cost the double?

Last edited by thoma : 26th November 2011 at 21:48.
Old 27th November 2011, 19:24   #2253

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_ambat View Post
That looks neat mate, Could you post more pictures of the door pad, as I am looking for the same setup and how much did the DLS comp cost.
Hi
I'm sorry for the late reply. I can't send you any pictures right now because I've left India. The pictures that are already there should give your installer an idea about placement. I had custom holes made in the door for the speakers and I think they placed a board inside for support. My memory fails me at the moment. But the sound quality was sweet! I would say this is definitely the way for front speakers to exist in the beat. I just couldn't live with the idea of dash mounted speakers. Hope this helps.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:45   #2254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post

Please see the link
Range
Chevrolet Beat comes factory filled with this engine oil and the same has been put in my car in 15000 k service. It cost Rs. 1070 for 3.75 litre + 15% VAT, i.e. Rs. 1230. Though other brands like Mobil, Castrol, etc are also available in the market but with this oil I am getting good performance and FE, and is economical too (costs ~10 paise/km), so I will recommend this one.
Quote:
About the 1000 RPM revving, I just wanted to know if you could keep the RPM constant at 1000 for a long time (at least 30 sec) in neutral, using your foot?
My car can rev constantly at any RPM above 600 in neutral.

Quote:
Even if they used different brands of oil, does the difference in brand cost the double?
Different brands have different rates. Mobil is almost 3 time costlier than Total.
Old 28th November 2011, 23:22   #2255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
My car can rev constantly at any RPM above 600 in neutral.

Really strange. In neutral, I just can't keep the engine RPM at 1000 using the lightest of foot. From 600, it shoots up to 1800 instantly and no way I can control at any RPM in between. Same case the other way round, it suddenly falls to 600 from 1800 when taking off the foot however slowly I tried.

Could you think up of any reason for this? Experts, any suggestion would be greatly valuable. Any body else felt this issue in your Beat?

Quote:

Different brands have different rates. Mobil is almost 3 time costlier than Total.
Any idea if the quality goes up with the cost?
Old 29th November 2011, 11:15   #2256
BHPian

Quote:

Could you think up of any reason for this?
May be due to the malfunctioning of Throttle Position Sensor.

Any idea if the quality goes up with the cost?[/quote]
No idea. This link may help you.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...neral-oil.html
Topolino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 11:52   #2257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Any idea if the quality goes up with the cost?
Quote:
The OEM engine oil for Beat - Total - Quartz 7000 GMO, 5W30 is Semi-Synthetic Oil as per Chevrolet Service Centre. Last service they filled my Beat with Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic Oil (Rs.3600/- for 3.75l). Driven around 260 Kms after service. Engine is smooth and free reviving. FE almost same as previous oil. Need to check in detail after 500 kms. Will update.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 29th November 2011, 13:16   #2258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May be due to the malfunctioning of Throttle Position Sensor.
Thanks much. Should I ask the service adviser to have the sensor checked and the throttle body cleaned too? I am having issues with low FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Last service they filled my Beat with Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic Oil (Rs.3600/- for 3.75l).
Are you sure the Total oil is semi-synthetic? If the OEM oil is semi-synthetic, did the service center ask you before changing to synthetic oil? Did they use an oil flush before changing the oil? What is the recommended next change in case of Mobil1?
Old 29th November 2011, 14:40   #2259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure the Total oil is semi-synthetic? If the OEM oil is semi-synthetic, did the service center ask you before changing to synthetic oil? Did they use an oil flush before changing the oil? What is the recommended next change in case of Mobil1?
Still I am not sure about the semi-synthetic part. It was told by SA. I had send an email to GM regarding this and awaiting reply. I was there when they changed the oil. No engine flush had been carried out. Even I don't think it is necessary to do so. GTO's post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...tml#post306829 recommend an engine flush, but I think it is a must for high mileage engine which was on mineral oil. Next oil change is pitted for 30000kms or completion of next 18 months (whichever is earlier).

Please follow this links

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ics/Myths.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...Oils_FAQs.aspx

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 29th November 2011 at 14:58.
Old 29th November 2011, 16:06   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks much. Should I ask the service adviser to have the sensor checked and the throttle body cleaned too? I am having issues with low FE.
Ask the service advisor to check
1. accelerator cable and linkges for smooth functioning,
2. intake manifold for any leakage,
3. throttle position sensor (SA may not agree. He will certainly tell you if there is any problem with sensor, engine malfunction light will glow-but insist him to check it once).
I think throttle body need not require cleaning in new car.
Topolino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 17:28   #2261
BHPian

Summing up few key points , which are crystal clear after reading this thread .Team-Bhp is such a valuable tool to assess the actual nuances a car owner is likely to face in the time of ownership of a particular car and in this case the 'Beat' . I have in several threads argued for the Beat , because it is a value for money product backed up by some funky styling and decent interiors at-least in top variant.Now when you try to visualize a little bit deeper as to why the petrol variant has got struck at 2500 units despite being priced extremely competitively , you will realize two three parameters where this car flounders big time .

1] When you drive the Beat , you ask yourself where are those 80 horses ?
The car has a poor low end torque for a car in this segment . Now half this thread is made up of people trying different ecu settings to improve low end torque .Now you can say the final ecu update has nailed it but i am afraid it may have addressed the issue slightly but still the lag in second gear persists . Now Chevy could have made changes in gearing or in the exhaust design ,which would not have cost much to improve the low end torque but i don't know why they have let this second gear lag issue tarnish the reputation so badly .

2]When you try to search for those horses by visiting the upper half of the rev-range you end up risking single digit fuel efficiency figure especially with 100% ac in congested cities. This car neither has good low end torque/driveability which justifies this segment nor the fuel efficiency dished out by its Hyundai and Maruti counterparts.

3] Now because of the above two factors this has taken a serious toll on resale value of beat with neither GM badge nor the sky-rocketing petrol prices helping its case .

4] In India with congested roads and raising fuel prices two things are very important a] fuel efficiency b] driveability . 0-100 times hardly matter but in gear driveability times make a huge difference even to the aam admi cos it reduces gearshifts ,increases fuel efficiency and reduces driving fatigue.

GM had enough warning to control this low fuel efficiency and poor pick-up tag the car has got associated with but it has not done anything serious about it other than a simple ecu update . A Revised exhaust and revised gearing could have saved the case of Beat big time . Shorter second and third gears would have given a little lower ARAI figures but i am sure it would have improved the everyday figures of fuel efficiency.at the same time improving driveability of the car.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 29th November 2011 at 17:37.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 18:09   #2262
BHPian

Guys,
my 23 day old beat is having a notchy gear shift at 3rd gear. By notchy, I mean it takes a bit of effort and groping around to put the car in 3rd gear. Any comments?
Old 30th November 2011, 11:06   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
GM had enough warning to control this low fuel efficiency and poor pick-up tag the car has got associated with but it has not done anything serious about it other than a simple ecu update . A Revised exhaust and revised gearing could have saved the case of Beat big time . Shorter second and third gears would have given a little lower ARAI figures but i am sure it would have improved the everyday figures of fuel efficiency.at the same time improving driveability of the car.
with all of your points. Beat certainly needs revised gearing; shorter gearing would definitely improve drivability as well as FE in city driving.
Old 30th November 2011, 17:18   #2264
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Now there is a twist in the tale.

I got the email reply from GM. They stated that the service manger will contact me immediately and will do the needful. After 3 hours I got the call from service manager. He requested me to take the car to service centre and they will replace the oil with Total semi-Synthetic and refund the balance amount. Now what? Confused!

Should I insist for a filter change also? Already clocked 320 KMs after oil change. Do a engine flush required?

Don't understand why did they replace the oil with Mobil 1 instead of Total.

Guys, what's your opinion?

I really appreciate the positive and quick approach from GM.

Cheers!

Vinu

Quote:
Beat LT 3rd Service update - Paid Service

12,000 KMs @ 18 months

Engine Oil - 960/l = 3600 (3.75l)
Oil Filter = 71.11
Consumable = 88.89
Seal Ring 14 x 2 = 13.33
Screen Wash = 35.56
VAT = 476.11 (12.50%)
Battery Water = 13.33

Paid Service = 775.00
Labour = 175.00
Service Tax = 99.52

Total Rs 5348.00
Quote:
The OEM engine oil for Beat - Total - Quartz 7000 GMO, 5W30 is Semi-Synthetic Oil as per Chevrolet Service Centre. Last service they filled my Beat with Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic Oil (Rs.3600/- for 3.75l). Driven around 260 Kms after service. Engine is smooth and free reviving. FE almost same as previous oil. Need to check in detail after 500 kms. Will update.
Quote:
Still I am not sure about the semi-synthetic part. It was told by SA. I had send an email to GM regarding this and awaiting reply. I was there when they changed the oil. No engine flush had been carried out. Even I don't think it is necessary to do so.
Old 30th November 2011, 17:56   #2265
BHPian

Guys,just a quick question:
I have given my Beat for fixing the "Thud" noise from front and aligment and also to change the stock speaker,as I am getting BRRR.. sound from one speaker.

They said the lower-arm bolt was loose,which was causing the "Thud" sound and lower arm is bent.How lower arm can go bent?Any idea?I recollect some sudden jumps over some unseen humps in night during one of my trip last year.Will this cause this bent?

He said we cannot change it in warrenty,I need to pay for that.Is it like that?
Please let me know what might have caused the Bent of lower arm.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks