Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 20:40   #2311
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Guys,Its been 6 days since I left my car in Kalyan nagar service centre.As I mentioned earlier,the issues were chronic left pulling and thud sound from front.Saturday they called me telling car is ready,but when I did the test drive,All the issues were persisting.Now they said they are replacing the lower arm etc.still not able to figure out what is causing left pulling.I dont know how to take it further.They are doing all trial and error on my car.
6 days for rectifying a thud and a left pull is plain incompetence. Too bad that the once great General Motors is really let down by their dealers in India.

I have been to the service center thrice for correcting a 'kat kat' sound and it still persists in all its glory. I am suspecting what is taking them so long to identify issues is the lack of knowledge.
Old 19th December 2011, 21:55   #2312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
6 days for rectifying a thud and a left pull is plain incompetence. Too bad that the once great General Motors is really let down by their dealers in India.

I have been to the service center thrice for correcting a 'kat kat' sound and it still persists in all its glory. I am suspecting what is taking them so long to identify issues is the lack of knowledge.
Where do this 'ka kat' sound happening?From the front wheels?
Old 19th December 2011, 22:21   #2313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where do this 'ka kat' sound happening?From the front wheels?
Yup, exactly. Though it is not too prominent, it definitely is irritating on a new car. This time around, I'm might take it to another dealer in another city. I am even thinking of sell it off, owing to unforeseen financial constraints which is adding to the fact that the Beat is not serving our purpose of an effortless (dad is finding it too difficult not to scratch her owing to bad visibility all around) and efficient city hatch.

One thing I have to admit though is that the pick-up has increased (I am assuming the FE also should improve a bit) after the flashing (as per the SA) of the ECU. It has whipped awoke the sleeping 80 horses and I stand corrected on the Beat being a dead-horse.

Last edited by thoma : 19th December 2011 at 22:28.
Old 20th December 2011, 11:52   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Do you feel this sound on the steering column too?. If yes, then it would be due to the excessive back pressure of power steering fluid. A special power steering hose with a muffler will compensate the excessive pressure and the kat kat sound will go off. This hose is provided by the GM and you won't be charged extra for this.
Don't get disheartened Beat is a good hatch. In begining car may be difficult to maneuver in city but once get used it is very easy to drive in tight spaces too. After ECU flashing your car's FE will definitely improve.

Last edited by Topolino : 20th December 2011 at 12:07.
Topolino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 12:27   #2315
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,Its been 6 days since I left my car in Kalyan nagar service centre.As I mentioned earlier,the issues were chronic left pulling and thud sound from front.Saturday they called me telling car is ready,but when I did the test drive,All the issues were persisting.Now they said they are replacing the lower arm etc.still not able to figure out what is causing left pulling.I dont know how to take it further.They are doing all trial and error on my car.
I am also facing a left pull issue, had brought it to the notice of the SA during the 1 year service, the issue however was not resolved even after doing wheel alignment. At that point of time i did not have enough time to stick back and get it done, but will make it a point to do it this time though.

Also, there is a rattle on the left hand side dashboard, will also need to rectify this.

However after prolonged use of car AC, now the AC is getting very effective and i would definetly call it a chiller. I don't know if it is the slight change in climate which is helping this.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:02   #2316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I am also facing a left pull issue, had brought it to the notice of the SA during the 1 year service, the issue however was not resolved even after doing wheel alignment. At that point of time i did not have enough time to stick back and get it done, but will make it a point to do it this time though.
In most of the authorised service centres wheel alignment machine is not calibrated regularly, so even after wheel alignment is carried out the error remains. I too experienced right pulling a few months back, even after wheel alignment at ASC the problem didn't rectify. I then got my car's wheel alignment done at a reputed wheel aligner who did it using latest John Beam's machine and the problem was rectified. So I would advice you to get your tyres checked/balanced/rotated and aligned at a reputed wheel alignment shop.
Old 20th December 2011, 15:46   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
Do you feel this sound on the steering column too?.

After ECU flashing your car's FE will definitely improve.
No, the sound occurs on slightly bad roads (wavy roads, roads with much undulations, roads whose top layer of tar is broken). Can it be still due to the back pressure? I felt the sound to be of a mechanical part.

The ECU flashing has done wonders to the pick-up and a bit on the FE. Overtaking is no longer dangerous. Earlier, I had a situation when the car just don't pick-up from a gear or even after downing a gear. Also, before the ECU flashing, it never returned more than 15 kmpl on A/C, however I drove. Now, there is an improvement of 1 / 1.5 kmpl.

Quote:
Yes.The very same thing.I felt it between 100-120km/hr.Please,when you get a chance,test it and let us know
I got a chance to test it now and there is no steering wobble on high speeds, after the wheel alignment and balancing.
Old 20th December 2011, 16:07   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
No, the sound occurs on slightly bad roads (wavy roads, roads with much undulations, roads whose top layer of tar is broken). Can it be still due to the back pressure? I felt the sound to be of a mechanical part.
Still I think it could be due to the back pressure of power steering fluid. Please mail to GM detailing your problem, they will send the new hose with muffler within 48 hrs to ASC.

Last edited by Topolino : 20th December 2011 at 16:12.
Topolino is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 16:23   #2319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still I think it could be due to the back pressure of power steering fluid. Please mail to GM detailing your problem, they will send the new hose with muffler within 48 hrs to ASC.
Thanks, but my doubt is that why does it then occur only on bad roads? If it was anything with power steering fluid, won't it be occurring always? I never get the sound if the road is good.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:15   #2320
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, but my doubt is that why does it then occur only on bad roads? If it was anything with power steering fluid, won't it be occurring always? I never get the sound if the road is good.
In Power Rack and Pinion Steering, pressure pulse in the return line is one of the cause of hydraulic rattling. May be on bad roads/potholes, due to the impact on steering system, this pressure pulse rises, therby causing noise.

Last edited by Topolino : 20th December 2011 at 18:24.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:27   #2321
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, exactly. Though it is not too prominent, it definitely is irritating on a new car. This time around, I'm might take it to another dealer in another city. I am even thinking of sell it off, owing to unforeseen financial constraints which is adding to the fact that the Beat is not serving our purpose of an effortless (dad is finding it too difficult not to scratch her owing to bad visibility all around) and efficient city hatch.

One thing I have to admit though is that the pick-up has increased (I am assuming the FE also should improve a bit) after the flashing (as per the SA) of the ECU. It has whipped awoke the sleeping 80 horses and I stand corrected on the Beat being a dead-horse.
This is one main issue My car is in service center for last 7 days.When I was there at lobby,I over heared one another Beat custome complaining about same sound.I think this is a common issue,we need to bring to GM's notice.SE is not able to fix it.How we should take it furter?
Old 20th December 2011, 18:38   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post

Also, there is a rattle on the left hand side dashboard, will also need to rectify this.
They are changing lower arm,doubting slight bend that is causing this left pulling.I dint get a chance to test drive it.I trust my service manager.He is a good friend of mine.

Is that rattle from left hand side some where near AC vent?I also hear it.some thing like siz..siz..siz sound
Old 20th December 2011, 20:39   #2323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Power Rack and Pinion Steering, pressure pulse in the return line is one of the cause of hydraulic rattling. May be on bad roads/potholes, due to the impact on steering system, this pressure pulse rises, therby causing noise.
Just after your suggestion, I called up my SA to ask about the back pressure thing. He is not much aware of that and is bent upon that my Beat's issue is with the front brake calipers. I then checked the calipers behind the wheels, shaking it with my hand, and found that it indeed is a bit loose. I think I am hearing a similar sound while driving. This is leading me to think that the caliper itself might be the culprit. My SA is telling it might have become loose after fixing it 2 weeks ago! But why does it have to become loose too often? Anyway, he has arranged for a check-up in the coming day.

Quote:
Beat custome complaining about same sound.I think this is a common issue,we need to bring to GM's notice.SE is not able to fix it.How we should take it furter?
Can you please ask your friendly SA to check whether the front brake calipers (both left and right) is loose and also whether this is a common issue on the Beat?
Old 20th December 2011, 22:22   #2324
BHPian

I can do that.But they informed they already checked it and there was a little play.
Any how,I will update you tomorrow once I go there
Old 21st December 2011, 12:57   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can do that.But they informed they already checked it and there was a little play.
Any how,I will update you tomorrow once I go there
I have given my Beat to the service center today. They are dead sure that the issue is due to brake calipers getting loose. Glad that they have assured me that they will be reporting this to Chevrolet, since the issue is re-occurring.

You may also request your SA to report the issue to Chevrolet if it is a re-occurring one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks