Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2011, 14:45   #2341
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
5. Inconsistent Horn ( Suddenly the dual horn becomes single horn and then automatically returns to being dual horn)
6. NVH level increase (Slightly )
Exact same symptoms have cropped up on my 21k kms run car. Do keep us updated about the outcome on the issues.
Old 26th December 2011, 17:44   #2342
BHPian

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2011 at 19:40.
Mafia is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th December 2011, 01:01   #2343
BHPian

MrBeat
Hi
Have noticed the thud when braking in the morning,specially when i drive after a few days.My old mechanic mentioned that if you use everyday the noise will cease and that is what has happened.When I was driving daily(my Leh trip)the noise vanished.
Sajt and myself have posted about it earlier
NVH sorry to be a dumbo what does it stand for?
Havnt noticed any steering noise.
Inconsistent horn yes me too
Wiper change is it necessary(I have also driven 11500km)
Regards
Old 27th December 2011, 06:44   #2344
Senior - BHPian

Not much of idea on this. Might be you have to check the under body from outside and the floor under the carpet from inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Regards
NVH means Noise Vibration and Harshness. It is a term mainly used for quantify the comfort levels inside the vehicle due to sound and vibrations.

I had the inconsistent horn issue in my 6 year old Baleno, but it disappeared on changing the battery! Though, I'm not sure if the service center has done any other fix while changing the battery.

If you feel you are having difficulty seeing in rain (wipers leaving a streak of water), it is good that you change the wipers immediately. I have personal experience with Bosch wipers giving far better performance than the OEM wipers on other cars. But then you might have to check with the Bosch store for the ones matching the Beat.

Attaching few snaps of my heart-beat.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img_3752.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img_3775.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img_3787.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img_3789.jpg

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-img_3797.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 28th December 2011 at 19:41. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 27th December 2011, 10:17   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
Update on FE:

Trip Meter: 638.4
Fuel Amount: 2300
Cost Per liter of fuel: 69.94
Amount of Fuel: 32.88
Final FE: 19.41 Km/L

Quite satisfied considering around 60-80 Kms of that was in the city. A/C was sparingly used whenever required on highway but 100% within City.

Scheduled for 1.5 yr Service, issues to consider for me are

1. A/C is strong but does not cool the cabin, why?
2. Left Pulling Issue ( Someone suggested to try for WA/WB and WR from a local shop)
3. A rattle from the left side dashboard ( Some screw gone loose)
4. Wiper change
5. Inconsistent Horn ( Suddenly the dual horn becomes single horn and then automatically returns to being dual horn)
7. Noise while breaking ("puff" noise) during the first few times in the morning
8. Noise from the steering when standing ( this too only when i start off in the morning)

It is scheduled to be on 7th Jan. Will take a prior appointment. I have covered 11,500 Kms uptil now.
Wow...that's great FE on your vehicle.. I also have a similar question like your 1st question, my vehicle also has the same issue, it cools, but not with blower in 1, but in 2. I have checked this with the service also, they also could not figure this out and they checked with the temperature guage, everything was perfect. Did not get any solution till now. Also sometimes I think the blower is in 2, but with 1 itself, the cabin would be cooled, but this is occasionally unlike other owners.

I am not sure what that brake noise actually is, may be with my understanding, it should be because of the moisture due to the cold weather right now and once the brake gets to work and heat up, the sound would vanish. you might not have experienced this during summer. This is something similar to a parked car for a month wherein rust settles in and with first braking, you might experience some hard braking and with use, the rust eases out.

Steering wheel noise, I too experienced it once and wanted to check the next time, but could not hear after that, this was before my 2nd service (may be during August).
Old 27th December 2011, 12:36   #2346
Senior - BHPian

Thoma : I was also experiencing the engine knocking/rattling during initial acceletration after shifting up (not due to low rpms). I too could only hear it on very quiet roads or with the windows down so maybe other Beat owners should check it out as they might have this problem but might not know about it.

This started after my 6 month service when I complained about low FE. They changed the ECU settings to regular or whatever and then this started.

Sent it back and they changed the settings to 2nd gear improvement and the knocking has reduced quite a bit but still happens occasionally. Car performance has improved a bit but Im still getting very low 8.5-9 kmpl FE

Has anyone given thought to my concerns about the Air Intake on the previous page ? Do you guys think that modifying it would make the car better ?
After some googling the air intake design on the Beat while not very common has been done on other cars as well but the intake opening s on those cars is much much wider so it might not be much of an issue for those cars.

So, any thoughts ?
Old 27th December 2011, 14:03   #2347
BHPian

Quote:
MrBeat
Hi
Have noticed the thud when braking in the morning,specially when i drive after a few days.My old mechanic mentioned that if you use everyday the noise will cease and that is what has happened.When I was driving daily(my Leh trip)the noise vanished.
Sajt and myself have posted about it earlier
Regards
Everyone is annoyed with inconsistent horns Its just a DIY job to get rid of it provided you should've the patience to remove the front bumper. Horns are connected with the help of spade sockets which will eventually lose its tightness by ageing and thereby inconsistent honks due to lose contact.

Name:  spade_connectors_female.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  31.7 KB

I've corrected it few months back just pulled it from the horns and made it bit more tighter with the help of a plier and pushed it back to normal. Now its in good tunes, mine was from the 2010 lot which has got more sweeter and sharp tone than the present ones.
Old 29th December 2011, 18:40   #2348
Senior - BHPian

Ok so I did a test run today with the bonnet slightly opened up, i.e. just pulled the release lever from inside so that there is a few mm gap between the bonnet and grill and then drove it to and from work (35kms) and I mhave to say that the car definitely runs better. I definitely did not imagine the improvement. Obviously I cannot drive the car with the hood cracked open all the time so what would be the next step ? Cold air intake ?
I will also test any changes in fuel efficiency after my next top up.

Anyone know the function of the expansion chamber like structures on the air intake tube just after the opening ?
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:01   #2349
Senior - BHPian

I have joined the Beat diesel club Will soon put up a complete thread about it. The reason I am posting in this thread is, the gimmick of 'car raising its RPM so that it doesn't stall in gear' is very helpful. I am learning to drive on this car, and many times I wondered why the car hasn't stalled! Then I remembered it must be this technology at work. Car is wonderful to drive. Thanks for the detailed review GTO!
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:36   #2350
BHPian

Quote:
White rabbit
Hi
Please can you give the reason for pulling to the left and how was it rectified?I too have noticed the same problem(very minor)after i returned from Leh(was very careful about bumps and potholes and bad roads.
Thanks and regards
I left my car with service center for 10 days and the left pulling and wobbling was not solved to my satisfaction.I took it to a newly open WA and WB shop in my native and to my surprise they fixed these issues easily and charged me 600/- and offered a free WA after 2000 km.

I suggest you do the WA from outside and not from SC.This will resolve your issue.
white-rabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:48   #2351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma
Oh please, do not let the car run on the last drop of petrol. It destroys the catalytic converter. Why don't you tank up mid way and check the FE? I'm eagerly waiting on FE issues and corrections as I am again getting low FE, though I thought for a couple of fills that it has improved.
I dont let the tank run out of petrol.I will refill as soon as yellow light shows up.This time it was:

568km for 33.8L petrol (Mixed driving conditions with full time AC,including ghat city and village roads,on highways 100+km/hr)

I am happy as I was getting 375Km for a full tank on an avg before.

Things I did was:

1.Reprogrammed ECU to Y4 Regular
2.Reset the ECU and soon after that did a nonstop drive in highway
3.Increased tyre pressure to 34-35 in from and 33 in back(Yeah,I too agree that its too much)
4.Tried not to accelerate in declined roads.

Last edited by white-rabbit : 2nd January 2012 at 15:01.
Old 2nd January 2012, 14:54   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Update on FE:

Scheduled for 1.5 yr Service, issues to consider for me are

1. A/C is strong but does not cool the cabin, why?
2. Left Pulling Issue ( Someone suggested to try for WA/WB and WR from a local shop)
3. A rattle from the left side dashboard ( Some screw gone loose)
4. Wiper change
7. Noise while breaking ("puff" noise) during the first few times in the morning
8. Noise from the steering when standing ( this too only when i start off in the morning)

It is scheduled to be on 7th Jan. Will take a prior appointment. I have covered 11,500 Kms uptil now.
Same issues here too,
A rattle from the left side dashboard
NVH level increase
Inconsistent Horn
Wiper change(already changed)
Left Pulling Issue(Please,do it from outside)
Noise from the steering(while U turns).

Service is due on 18th January and done 14600KM

Last edited by white-rabbit : 2nd January 2012 at 15:00.
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:40   #2353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Same issues here too,
A rattle from the left side dashboard
NVH level increase
Inconsistent Horn
Wiper change(already changed)
Left Pulling Issue(Please,do it from outside)
Noise from the steering(while U turns).

Service is due on 18th January and done 14600KM
Firstly coming to the important part, today while on the express way, while switching from outside air mode to inside air mode, suddenly very thin smoke started coming only from the driver side vent, this happened only fr 3-4 seconds as i out of reflexes returned back to outside air mode, switched off the A/C and switched on again. Reasons?

I have done 12000 Kms now

I think, the NVH level increase is too marginal. Have been all ears for it since the time i realized and have been quite satisfied of late.

The Ratte is from the part near the A/C vent of maybe the A/C vent itself.

I am also happy with the ride quality and the mileage.

I have also got used to the seating position.

The inconsistent horn issue occurs very rarely but will still make sure that it is rectified

Should i change the wipers now or wait for monsoon to start , because if i change them now, they will become rough in the Mumbai Heat.

Also, Regarding the air intake which seems to be a design flaw, how does it affect the driving/mileage/engine performance. I am noob at that.
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:29   #2354
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly coming to the important part, today while on the express way, while switching from outside air mode to inside air mode, suddenly very thin smoke started coming only from the driver side vent, this happened only fr 3-4 seconds as i out of reflexes returned back to outside air mode, switched off the A/C and switched on again. Reasons?

Should i change the wipers now or wait for monsoon to start , because if i change them now, they will become rough in the Mumbai Heat.

Also, Regarding the air intake which seems to be a design flaw, how does it affect the driving/mileage/engine performance. I am noob at that.
Well I used to experience this with our esteem and accent, so this is nothing new for me. "Condensation" would be the right term for this. when outside air comes in for 2 - 3 minutes and you turn back your a/c on, it is again mixing of hot air from outside with cold air already inside due to earlier use of A/c. That's normal. I generally have my AC in recirculation mode and I keep switching AC on and off, since it becomes too cold inside sometimes and I have seen this all the time I do this. So its not the case of you changing it from recirculation or outside air mode and this is a normal phenomenon. I am used to this for the last 5 years, sometimes experienced this in my beat as well which has done only 9K's in the last 1.5 years. Recently I drove a high end car (which was pretty new) on very cold climate and experienced it there too, so this is not a factor to worry about.

Well regarding your wiper, do you really have problems with your wiper or is it just a regular change after usage that you are looking for? If you do not have problems, I would suggest you could do the change once you have issues, if you do have problems, then go for a change.

Last edited by informmaha : 2nd January 2012 at 17:48.
Old 2nd January 2012, 17:40   #2355
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly coming to the important part, today while on the express way, while switching from outside air mode to inside air mode, suddenly very thin smoke started coming only from the driver side vent, this happened only fr 3-4 seconds as i out of reflexes returned back to outside air mode, switched off the A/C and switched on again. Reasons? .
Are you sure its smoke? Did it happen again?Is it some dust or some thing like that from pollen filter?

Quote:

The Ratte is from the part near the A/C vent of maybe the A/C vent itself.
It is not the ac vent.I tried putting some papers and jamming it etc.I felt it is some thing inside dash.

Quote:

You can change it for next Monsoon .Wiper blade quality is very poor for GM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks