Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 11:31   #2641
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Need help from anyone who can figure out what this sound is.

This sound comes when the ignition is switched on as shown in the video, its also present sometimes when braking from around 20kmph to standstill. Can't figure out what this sound represents.
Guess what, i noticed the same high pitched sound since yesterday. Infact, when you turn on the ignition, there used to be a mild sound earlier but now it has become too noisy.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:29   #2642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Guess what, i noticed the same high pitched sound since yesterday. Infact, when you turn on the ignition, there used to be a mild sound earlier but now it has become too noisy.
Hmmmmm, is it exactly like the one in my video? Also does it occur when you are braking to a standstill?
BTW, how old is your Beat?
Old 25th April 2012, 16:24   #2643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
Same as myavu I am approaching 2 years of ownership
Have done 13500 km on the odo.
6000 to leh and back,3100 to gugaon and back and 2700 to northwest gujarat and kutchh.
Please somebody suggest what to look out for.
After leh had it fully serviced including oilchange,brake adjustment,ECU setting etc.This was in the last week of november.
Regards.
Faustus sir, congrats on your successful completion of Leh trip with a "Beat-le" Did she behaved well on high altitudes? What about the low ground clearance and especially the front bumper? Expecting a detailed travelogue too
Old 25th April 2012, 16:28   #2644
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmmmm, is it exactly like the one in my video? Also does it occur when you are braking to a standstill?
BTW, how old is your Beat?
It's the same. No sound while braking but one thing that i have noticed is that while braking hard, the steering vibrates. Any leads on that?

My beat is 21 Months old.
Old 25th April 2012, 18:14   #2645

Quote:
Well when I was on the stock JK tyres, I wouldnt go beyond 110 only because the tyres weren't confidence inspiring enough. With 175's its a different story, you can cruise at 120 easily. I have touched 140 once (before I get blasted for high speeds, it was during an intentional early morning sunday drive on the NICE expressway (empty) to check tyre performance) and it felt fine. No wobbles or rattles, just the usual wind resistance.

Its most likely the tyres even though 5.5J will give you a wider profile on the 155 tyres but the JK Vectra in itself isnt the best of tyres. However, you should ask your SA for a thorough checkup. If you do a lot of highway drives then a tyre upgrade can be a worthy investment especially for the sake of safety (better grip, better handling and more high-speed stability).
Good then!! I think a tyre-upgrade is in order. I've got 18K+ on the ODO, so should I upgrade the tyres before OR after the 20K service? Since my wheels are 5.5J, I've got my eyes set on 185/60 R-14 from either Michelin or Bridgestone. One dealer I inquired from told me to even consider Yokos, but am confused. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 25th April 2012, 18:41   #2646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by webadi27 View Post
Good then!! I think a tyre-upgrade is in order. I've got 18K+ on the ODO, so should I upgrade the tyres before OR after the 20K service? Since my wheels are 5.5J, I've got my eyes set on 185/60 R-14 from either Michelin or Bridgestone. One dealer I inquired from told me to even consider Yokos, but am confused. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
18k or 20k, well depends on how fast you want to get the upgrade. Either ways it doesn't make much of a difference.
Yup, 185/60-14s are a good choice, If you do more highway drives then you could possibly go in for Michelin XM2s or the Bridgestone Turanza ER60s. I chose the Yoko A-drives because they were cheaper (500 bucks cheaper than Michelins and 1k cheaper Bridgestones per tyre) for almost the same performance and also because I drive mainly in the city. Any of these tyre choices over 155 Vectras will keep you superbly happy.

Just did my first wet run on my Yoko A-drives, pretty satisfied (had one late braking incident, thought the tyres would skid, they didn't).

Last edited by superutp : 25th April 2012 at 18:42.
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2012, 00:39   #2647
BHPian

Sajjt
Hi
Not much of a problem as I was alone,so not overloaded.
Before Sonmarg the road was washed out and at that place I took 3/4 hits though no damage.
Before Pathankot(Sarna village) and at 2 other places I took some hits at the bottom.
In november the car was serviced and checked.Touch wood everything was ok.
I have not written any travelogue nor have I taken any pictures as I didnt own a camera at that time(I got my first camera free with a LCD tv in march)
On a different site I have thanked a few people whom I met during the journey.Do read it.
Regards
Old 26th April 2012, 09:49   #2648

Quote:
18k or 20k, well depends on how fast you want to get the upgrade. Either ways it doesn't make much of a difference.
Yup, 185/60-14s are a good choice, If you do more highway drives then you could possibly go in for Michelin XM2s or the Bridgestone Turanza ER60s. I chose the Yoko A-drives because they were cheaper (500 bucks cheaper than Michelins and 1k cheaper Bridgestones per tyre) for almost the same performance and also because I drive mainly in the city. Any of these tyre choices over 155 Vectras will keep you superbly happy.

Just did my first wet run on my Yoko A-drives, pretty satisfied (had one late braking incident, thought the tyres would skid, they didn't).
Thanks a lot! I checked the tyres online and they seem perfect. Will visit some dealerships during the weekend to check if I get a deal on any of these. Hope I get some exchange value for my existing tyres.
Old 30th April 2012, 12:50   #2649
BHPian

Quote:
Need help from anyone who can figure out what this sound is.

This sound comes when the ignition is switched on as shown in the video, its also present sometimes when braking from around 20kmph to standstill. Can't figure out what this sound represents.

The location of the sound is hard to localise, however its definitely from inside the cabin and not the engine bay

It started after I got my first set of DRLs and LED sill plates installed. Not sure if its related or its just an coincidence.

If its the Fuel Pump noise (considered normal in cars) my question is whether other Beat owners also hear this same sound

High pitched sound from Chevy Beat - YouTube
i've had a similar high pitched sound after the car had been running for more than half an hour, turns out the fuel pump had cracked and I had caught it just in time before it gave out. if you wanna just take a look, lift up the back seat and you'll see the fuel pump, see if the sound is coming from there, if theres any excessive vibration. few service people will ever think of checking the fuel pump. hope that helps!
bbyf16 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2012, 14:57   #2650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyf16 View Post
i've had a similar high pitched sound after the car had been running for more than half an hour, turns out the fuel pump had cracked and I had caught it just in time before it gave out. if you wanna just take a look, lift up the back seat and you'll see the fuel pump, see if the sound is coming from there, if theres any excessive vibration. few service people will ever think of checking the fuel pump. hope that helps!
Thanks for the Info. I made the effort and went to my SA 16kms away. But unfortunately Murphy's Law struck and the sound was not present. Its been absent since the last week now. I made him listen to the video and he said its most likely the Fuel pump but without the sound being present he won't be able to do anything (plus I didnt want to leave the car there as I had other work). He talked about some other Beat owners coming in with this problem and what they did was put an earthing wire or something.

Anyway, I have a feeling that this sound exists only when the Fuel is half full or greater. Ill be re-fueling tomorrow and lets see if the sound reappears.

I got my 'rear thud' sound fixed which was due to a loose spoiler and the SA also hammered the latch. Its gone for now but as one sound disappears another appears-my driver seat has started squeaking

I seriously wonder whats with the orchestra within my Beat, as if the music system wasn't enough.
Old 30th April 2012, 22:53   #2651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp
I got my 'rear thud' sound fixed which was due to a loose spoiler
My spoiler had gone loose too. I noticed the spoiler budging to pressure while giving my car a wash. Opened up the boot and I was in for a shock to find three of the four nuts holding it loose. The fourth one was missing!
Quickly tightened them up. Its holding on with 3 nuts now!

And my ride isn't completely rattle free as well. Especially over poor patches of roads.
Should get all the bolts n nuts checked for tightness in the 35k service that will be due soon.
Old 1st May 2012, 12:19   #2652
BHPian

Well, my car is approaching the 25 K on odo.
Faults
As somebody said some 'Thud' sound is coming from the back as if something is loose. The service center guys couldn't figure it out yet. Complained this to the customer care when they called me about the service. They told they'll take up the issue seriously for the next service which is due in few days time.
Mileage
Mileage ranges from 13-18 on mixed driving (Highway,city,Bad roads etc).. Still love its smooth engine.
Top Speed
I have taken it till 160 km/hr on the speedo. this was achieved in 4th gear though.The car felt stable. Even i was suprised on seeing what my car has achieved.

Queries
Anyone tried with the K & N filers on Beat? and if so appreciate your reviews.
Old 1st May 2012, 14:33   #2653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Well, my car is approaching the 25 K on odo.
Faults
As somebody said some 'Thud' sound is coming from the back as if something is loose. The service center guys couldn't figure it out yet. Complained this to the customer care when they called me about the service. They told they'll take up the issue seriously for the next service which is due in few days time.
Mileage
Mileage ranges from 13-18 on mixed driving (Highway,city,Bad roads etc).. Still love its smooth engine.
Top Speed
I have taken it till 160 km/hr on the speedo. this was achieved in 4th gear though.The car felt stable. Even i was suprised on seeing what my car has achieved.

Queries
Anyone tried with the K & N filers on Beat? and if so appreciate your reviews.
Get your spoiler checked for a loose bolt and also get your hatch latch hammered.
Top speed in 4th gear, what RPM were u at?
For the K&N filter you may want to read this thread-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-ice-more.html

Apparently improves performance in mid and high RPMS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
My spoiler had gone loose too. I noticed the spoiler budging to pressure while giving my car a wash. Opened up the boot and I was in for a shock to find three of the four nuts holding it loose. The fourth one was missing!
Quickly tightened them up. Its holding on with 3 nuts now!

And my ride isn't completely rattle free as well. Especially over poor patches of roads.
Should get all the bolts n nuts checked for tightness in the 35k service that will be due soon.
For 35k kms a few rattles over poor roads is far less of a worry than a squeaking seat at 3.6k kms Its irritating the hell out of me.

Update on my FE.
415.7 kms driven and drank 29.93 ltrs. Around 120 kms was highway, rest was city. Gives around 13.88km/l, I highest I have ever got.

But what interests me is that considering I get say 11.5 generally in the city, the highway figure approximately equates to around 18-19km/l which is awesome!!

Only fly in the ointment here is that 2 kms after refueling one bar dropped, possibly meaning the auto-stop of the filler stopped slightly early. Will only know next top-up time.

EDIT: This is also the first FE figure with the 175 tyres, now I feel I should have gone for 185s. More usage of AC due to summer, around 70% of times.

Last edited by superutp : 1st May 2012 at 14:44.
Old 1st May 2012, 19:34   #2654
BHPian

Hello all,
Finally after some 2 years of wait I got my membership approved recently with 10 registration attempts.
I had first visited this thread when it was only with 75 pages and now its had moved all the way to 180 pages. All these days I was a silent follower. This review thread by GTO was one of the best fact sheet for me choosing the green bug Beat. Frankly saying I was mesmerized by the beauty of the green bug at first sight! This is what people say Love at first sight?
Ok Here goes my short description about my love.
Detailed review will be followed on my 15k ownership thread.

Model : Chevrolet Beat PS
Make ( Decoding VIN) : December 2010 Thanks Wildon
Billed :31-12-2010 Got Rs20,000/- Cash discount for Dec Booking by GM
OTR Price: Rs 3,84,***/- with Free floor mats, Full tank Petrol, car cover, Chevy soft toy and since showroom owner was my classmate's Cousin, I was offered 5k worth free accessories for which I was given a choice to choose from. I chose roof rails and GM AC_DC inverter
Present Odo :14k
Mods done: Gt Spoiler, Color Finish Head lights, Blue Angel eye projector for fog lamp, Front Floor blue Leds , Rear boot blue Leds, (9 diode Blue park leds, and Exhaust Muffler .

Here is my Beauty

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-kodai-beat.jpg
jeganatu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 20:47   #2655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
Hello all,
Finally after some 2 years of wait I got my membership approved recently with 10 registration attempts.
I had first visited this thread when it was only with 75 pages and now its had moved all the way to 180 pages. All these days I was a silent follower. This review thread by GTO was one of the best fact sheet for me choosing the green bug Beat. Frankly saying I was mesmerized by the beauty of the green bug at first sight! This is what people say Love at first sight?
Ok Here goes my short description about my love.
Detailed review will be followed on my 15k ownership thread.

Mods done: Gt Spoiler, Color Finish Head lights, Blue Angel eye projector for fog lamp, Front Floor blue Leds , Rear boot blue Leds, (9 diode Blue park leds, and Exhaust Muffler .

Here is my Beauty

Attachment 922440
Welcome to the forum mate! Great to see more and more people 'modding' their Beats.

'Love at First sight'- I know exactly what you mean, my mind was decided even before I considered buying it.

Waiting for your 15k thread and then will ask you questions about your Beat.

Last edited by superutp : 1st May 2012 at 20:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks