Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2012, 21:46   #2821
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head View Post
Hello Everyone!!!

I am going to take delivery of a Beat 1.2LS in the coming days and need help of fellow Beat owners. It will be great if someone can help me with a PDI list for inspecting the new car before taking delivery.

I plan to get the under-body rust protection done from the ASC right after delivery. Do I really need to get it done? I am also thinking about getting some paint protection treatment? Any suggestions?

I will also be really thankful if somebody can tell me the odd but important things that need to be taken care (like tyre upgrade right after purchase, etc etc).

I also wish to know the list of accessories (price/manufacturer etc) that I need to buy. Any important long term maintenance/To-Do's list is also welcome.

I request everyone to help me with my queries and I will be really thankful .
Go as per the standard PDI list mentioned here on many threads. I feel you should go in for the anti rust.

As far as tyre upgrades are concerned, that is seriously your call. I have done 26 k on my standard stock vectras and they are serving me alright. Any accessories are again your call. I don't feel you should require any add ons unless its something you fancy.

Long term maintenance - Well you can opt for the Chevy promise. Otherwise the car is good as long as you read and remember the service intervals. As long as you stick to the service intervals there should be no issues.

I can go on about the things you need to worry about but that would require creativity. It is a thoroughly dependable car my friend. So sit back hit the roads and relax.

Also, congratulations. Wish you many miles of happiness
AbhishekB86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 00:10   #2822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post

Here is the video below. I assume its the same noise for you also-
It's the same.
I went to get it checked it out today, and the fuel pump issue it is.
Will get it replaced under warranty tomorrow itself.

And I have heard of various others facing the same issue too.

Chevrolet needs to probably study this further.
What happens if the replacement pump fails as well? What have they done to sort it out? Why are they not addressing this failure properly?

Somehow, if it were a one off case, I wouldn't have been this concerned.

Sam
Old 20th August 2012, 00:24   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
PDI list for inspecting the new car before taking delivery.
The Standard PDI list on Team-BHP works well. It is wonderfully thorough. Do check it out, and use it before taking the delivery. It is even better to do the PDI before registration.

Quote:
I am also thinking about getting some paint protection treatment?
What color are you getting? Paint protection in the form of teflon coats is usually discouraged by the more experienced Bhpians. I did opt for it, but didn't find the results too great. A regular wax application, with occasional claying in the longer run should be enough for even Black color.

Quote:
(like tyre upgrade right after purchase, etc etc).
I would highly recommend an upgrade to atleast 175 section tires. In case you are opting for alloys, for for 5j and above, then 185 and 195 can be fitted. I have 195s on mine, and I love the grip they offer.
Getting the JKs exchanged right after purchase might give you a better deal. Trouble is the stock rims and tyres don't sell for much, as they are specifically suited to the Beat.

Quote:
I also wish to know the list of accessories (price/manufacturer etc) that I need to buy. Any important long term maintenance/To-Do's list is also welcome.
My experience with the Beat (done 21k) is pretty low on the maintenance front. I have a petrol one, and the fuel pump is the only thing that has given me trouble since now.
Other than that, it's been trouble free.

Just take it easy while running in your new car, and it should be a smooth sail after that.

What variant are you getting?
Do update us on your dealership and ownership experience.

Congratulations bro.
Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 10:09   #2824
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Everyone!!!

I plan to get the under-body rust protection done from the ASC right after delivery. Do I really need to get it done? I am also thinking about getting some paint protection treatment? Any suggestions?

I will also be really thankful if somebody can tell me the odd but important things that need to be taken care (like tyre upgrade right after purchase, etc etc).

1. Under-body protection is simply not required for the Beat. I can vouch for the protection that comes applied from the factory itself. The under-body still looks new after every water service.
2. Paint protection is again not needed if you take care of the paint periodically as mentioned by others.
3. Get new tyres right away, this will give you optimum resale of your existing tyres.(I'm still stuck with OE tyres though, they are a pain!). The least you can do is swap with a Beat D.
4. With the PS/LS, you'll have a long list of accessories to fit, as both models are spartan in terms of add-ons. Plan according to priorities and pocket.

Welcome to the Beat club!!!
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 21:30   #2825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
It's the same.
I went to get it checked it out today, and the fuel pump issue it is.
Will get it replaced under warranty tomorrow itself.

And I have heard of various others facing the same issue too.

Chevrolet needs to probably study this further.
What happens if the replacement pump fails as well? What have they done to sort it out? Why are they not addressing this failure properly?

Somehow, if it were a one off case, I wouldn't have been this concerned.

Sam

I had been told that several Petrol Beat owners had some sort of noise coming from the Fuel pump and this issue has been identified and included in their official list of replacements required. I dont think replacing it for owners if and when they have a problem is the way forward when its a common problem.

Anyway, did you get it replaced? So you got it under warranty, haha!

Update on my FE:
11.51 kmpl So my driving style is basically- rev off till 4k when I need to (quite often unnecessarily) and rest of times shift at 2k. Based on the traffic I drive in within the city I feel this is pretty decent FE. Anything above 11 and Ill be happy.

As from what I am seeing, keeping the tyre pressure 34 is definitely having a positive impact on FE.
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2012, 23:51   #2826
BHPian

Quote:

Anyway, did you get it replaced? So you got it under warranty, haha!

Will keep you updated.

Cheers.
Old 21st August 2012, 21:51   #2827
BHPian

Are you talking about a 'beep' sound when you turn on the ignition? If yes, I can hear it in my car too. Now please reconfirm if this is the noise you're talking about. The car on my being driven is fine and there are no weird sounds/vibrations otherwise.
Old 21st August 2012, 22:04   #2828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Are you talking about a 'beep' sound when you turn on the ignition? If yes, I can hear it in my car too. Now please reconfirm if this is the noise you're talking about. The car on my being driven is fine and there are no weird sounds/vibrations otherwise.
Hey, check out the video I posted in the previous page. Note the continuous beep which comes as soon as I switch the ignition on which lasts a few secs. That sound is actually coming from under the rear seat

Note that the 'thak thak' sound in the video is from the auto door locking which is normal.
Old 21st August 2012, 22:15   #2829
BHPian

Yeah bro, I can hear it in mine too. In fact its been there for some time. Now will Chevy replace it? And are there any immediate affects? I don't even remember when I started hearing the beep sound. Feels like its been forever. I tried it on my car after I saw your video. Whats the POA now?

Quote:
Hey, check out the video I posted in the previous page. Note the continuous beep which comes as soon as I switch the ignition on which lasts a few secs. That sound is actually coming from under the rear seat

Note that the 'thak thak' sound in the video is from the auto door locking which is normal.
Old 21st August 2012, 22:25   #2830
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah bro, I can hear it in mine too. In fact its been there for some time. Now will Chevy replace it? And are there any immediate affects? I don't even remember when I started hearing the beep sound. Feels like its been forever. I tried it on my car after I saw your video. Whats the POA now?
Mine started at around 2.8k kms, now am at 7.2k. Initially I tried ignoring it but it got annoying, got it checked at 5k, they said its a common issue with the fuel pump and it will get replaced under warranty (however they were out of stock).

The sound has disappeared for now and I haven't got the fuel pump replaced yet.

With regards to immediate effects, am not sure. But I assume its potentially dangerous if say the fuel pump cracks/gives way (not a technical person, sadly). Best bet is to go to the service centre and get it checked.
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 22:39   #2831
BHPian

Today completed my 20000km service at 1year & 8 months. I had a mileage test on 4 laned HW for my beat petrol on full tank basis. With 100% AC, rpm at 2200-2400, average (constant at 80kmph) speed, my beat offered 18.6 kmpl :-D
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:43   #2832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
Today completed my 20000km service at 1year & 8 months. I had a mileage test on 4 laned HW for my beat petrol on full tank basis. With 100% AC, rpm at 2200-2400, average (constant at 80kmph) speed, my beat offered 18.6 kmpl :-D
18.6kmpl is super cool! That's exactly the ARAI's FE figure for the Beat Petrol!
I got my 40,000km service done on Monday from Sundaram Motors, Chennai. Pollen filter was the only replacement made.

But someone had fiddled with the clutch pedal play and left it with very little travel. I went back to them to get it sorted out. A not so good service experience this time. Considering KLN Motors, Ambattur for the next service.
Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 17:02   #2833
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Mine started at around 2.8k kms, now am at 7.2k. Initially I tried ignoring it but it got annoying, got it checked at 5k, they said its a common issue with the fuel pump and it will get replaced under warranty (however they were out of stock).

The sound has disappeared for now and I haven't got the fuel pump replaced yet.

With regards to immediate effects, am not sure. But I assume its potentially dangerous if say the fuel pump cracks/gives way (not a technical person, sadly). Best bet is to go to the service centre and get it checked.
Got mine replaced today.
Work done at AutoVikas Okhla. They were courteous enough, but kept me waiting quite a while.

The sound is gone now.
IIRC I read somewhere that this can lead to fuel pump failure.

Abhishek, no point in taking a chance. From what you say, it seems like you have the same problem. Double check with superutp's video.

Superutp, try a different dealership if the usual one doesn't have it in stock.

Cheers,
Sam
Old 2nd September 2012, 20:50   #2834
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, jus wondering if anyone knows the socket type for the Beat Headlights, parking lamps, fog lamps and reverse lights. Actually I wouldnt mind all the bulb types :P

Where can I find this info ? it isnt mentioned in the manual ? I was just wondering if you guys had a source for the tech specs or maybe a pdf Service manual
Old 4th September 2012, 10:43   #2835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Hey guys, jus wondering if anyone knows the socket type for the Beat Headlights, parking lamps, fog lamps and reverse lights. Actually I wouldnt mind all the bulb types :P

Where can I find this info ? it isnt mentioned in the manual ? I was just wondering if you guys had a source for the tech specs or maybe a pdf Service manual

HL - H4 P43t
Parking- T10
Reverse - BA15S (NOT SURE)
Fog - H11 (NOT SURE)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks