Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 13:25   #2836
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Thanks. Its really sad how the specifications of the Beat are so hard to find. There isnt even a mention of wiper sizes in the manual. I had to use a measuring tape to find out the size before buying new ones.....

Anyone else have any data on the BEat ?
Old 8th September 2012, 13:27   #2837
BHPian

Two updates on my FE:

Around 10 days back, 11.58kmpl, which again I found pretty impressive considering my driving conditions in the city and driving style.

Yesterday I had to fill up early so 227 kms for 18.53ltrs, which equates to 12.25kmpl

First time above 12 within the city and I remember revving upto 4k several times. Hope its not due to an error as a result of not filling up on full tank basis.

Seems like keeping my tyre pressure at 34 is helping a lot in aiding FE. Though I should mention, my AC usage is only around 60%, rest of the time I am enjoying the additional power due to the AC being off
Old 8th September 2012, 16:06   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Around 10 days back, 11.58kmpl, which again I found pretty impressive considering my driving conditions in the city and driving style.

Seems like keeping my tyre pressure at 34 is helping a lot in aiding FE. Though I should mention, my AC usage is only around 60%, rest of the time I am enjoying the additional power due to the AC being off
My driving style is very sedate with my RPM hardly ever crossing 2200.
I also fill my tires at 33PSI and my AC usage is around 40-50%. I achieve a FE of 14.x kmpl driving on Hyderabad roads and my commute is through the city. I'm not really happy with my FE even after doing my best to drive for FE. My daily commute is 45km and it is hurting my wallet to drive this car daily.

Also, the car behaves like a donkey that needs to be whipped around below 2000RPM . Switch on the AC and it feels like the donkey hasn't eaten in months. My 8 year old 100CC motorcycle with it's original clutch does much better in city traffic than this car.

I'm seriously not sure if all entry level hatchbacks behave this way with regards to pickup and would like to know the FE of other hatchback owners.
Old 8th September 2012, 18:43   #2839
Senior - BHPian

Hey anyone have a link to that korean website where some guys from this thread found various mods & parts for the Beat ?

Also looking for a K&N filter for the Beat. As far as I know, Beat specific filters arent available so is there a compatible filter for another car that I can use ? Approximate cost ?

Last edited by Mortis : 8th September 2012 at 19:07.
Old 8th September 2012, 19:39   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Hey anyone have a link to that korean website where some guys from this thread found various mods & parts for the Beat ?
http://www.koreanautoimports.com/sto...?cPath=149_426
This is something I came across. Is this the one you were referring to?
Old 8th September 2012, 20:21   #2841
Senior - BHPian

No I dont think its that one. That site had LOTS of products for the Beat
Old 8th September 2012, 21:39   #2842
Distinguished - BHPian

Some nice pictures of the US 2012 Beat with the mods that should come to us soon:

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...rk-slides.html

In my opinion, the lengthened headlamps and the black band connecting the foglights make the car look much better now.

Hopefully MyLink will find its way to us in the 'new' Cruze rumoured for a end-2012/ early 2013 launch.

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th September 2012 at 21:45. Reason: Typo
Old 9th September 2012, 22:34   #2843
BHPian

So the customary F.E update. I got 13.21 calculated by the tank full method. I cannot lay enough stress on using the most trusted fuel pump. In my case it is the BP COCO petrol pump under the Vasant Vihar flyover in Munirka.

I am yet to get the fuel pump changed. Life goes on. Fellow BHPian @Samarth.Bhatia told me about my clutch being a little worn out. At 27 k I would blame the bottleneck peak hour jams I've done 85-90% of my driving in.

I am wondering about the expenses I might have to incur at 30k. Any clue?
Old 18th September 2012, 02:05   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino
Same thing I too observed. Due to medical emergency I drove my car at speeds between 100-130 kmph and covered 254 km distance in about 2 hrs & 50 min. and the fuel consumed was 13.13 l only, FE around ~ 19 kmpl. The journey was done between Udaipur-Ahmedabad on NH 8 in the morning (5.00 am - 8.00 am). I too don't have any explanation for this.
Beat petrol does give a very good economy in expressways like Mumbai Pune even at speeds above 100kmph.

I frequently travel on this stretch and always get around 18kmpl (calc by full tank to full tank method ) at speeds ranging 80 to 120. At steady 100s, I have got 20kmph

Becoming greedy, I once tried maintaining 140kmph but ended up with an economy of 12kmph.

All these drives were with AC on. Climate control of 18deg.

In city I have never got good economy with mostly 13kmpl and once 15kmpl due to light traffic early mornings.

My car has done only 31k kms over the last 2yrs and hence my total service costs havnt crossed 15k yet which includes a rear view mirror n glass beading replacement.

Overall I am very much happy with my Beat and the only negative is, initial pickup from stop / <20kmph is sluggish. No matter how much you pedal, it will take its own sweet time and hence it was a problem for me in city traffic as I was used to a Swift diesel which cuts through traffic very well. However once you are above 30kmph , it responds quick enuf. Now its not a big issue for me as I hv got used to how it behaves.
rawkeron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 20:55   #2845
Senior - BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2012 at 12:00.
Mortis is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th September 2012, 20:27   #2846
Senior - BHPian

A bit of an FE update on my Beat. Im now getting between 11-12 kmpl in the city with 100% Ac which is up from my earlier 9 kmpl after I started adding acetone at the rate of around 1.3 ml/litre.

Also took my Beat on her first highway drive yesterday from Mumbai to Lonavala and I have to say the Beat was pretty decent to drive on the highway. I got an FE of 16.8 kmpl on that tankfull which included some Ganesh chaturti traffic madness plus a huge 1.5hr bumper to bumper jam in Chembur and Sion after coming back. Not bad at all. Im pretty sure I would have gotten better FE if I had stuck to speeds of 80-100 km/hr on the highway but I enjoyed pushing the Beat to speeds of 120-140 where possible on the expressway !!
Old 4th October 2012, 20:18   #2847
BHPian

Guys,does anybody see that AC display glass cracking due to heat?
I started noticing it from the second month of purchase.Now the advisor told me they are replacing that glass.Its been three month since then,he is sourcing the part.Is it happening with any of you?
Old 5th October 2012, 07:58   #2848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Guys,does anybody see that AC display glass cracking due to heat?
I started noticing it from the second month of purchase.Now the advisor told me they are replacing that glass.Its been three month since then,he is sourcing the part.Is it happening with any of you?
It's been almost an year now and no cracks in mine. However it has attracted a lot of scratches.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:10   #2849
BHPian

Hi folks,

I am out of Bangalore at this moment and might miss the 2nd service at 1 year. Will it void my warranty.. If yes, suggestions please . Can I get it serviced by a friend without the service book? Can anyone help me with this info?
Old 15th October 2012, 21:26   #2850
BHPian

adg andy
Hi
The one year service is free so the SC needs the pink coupon from the book.
AFAIK if you get the sevice done from the dealer that you bought the car from after a few days more than the year,the warranty is not void.
You can call the dealer and speak to a customer executive and he would be able to guide better.
After speaking to him do confirm by email your discussion.Do send the email to the dealer's address.
Hope this helps
Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks