Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2012, 17:14   #2881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Hello Guys, updating after a long long time.
I have a beat bought in July 2010 due for 2.5 years service in Jan 2013.
Some of the issues faced are
1. Incompetent A/C unit ( Anybody facing this? )
2. Rattling noise from behind the steering assembly
3. Will be replacing wipers now ( Suggestions? )
4. FE of the car has dropped from 18.5 to about 17. 5. (Again, any specific reason or anything that i should get checked?)
5. At times, i have to struggle to slot in the 1st gear.
Get the air filter checked. Rattling noise is due to wheel allignment get that done. Hella wipers used by @samarth.bhatia and me are effective although a little expensive. F.E may be due to a number of reasons like change in fuel pump or driving style or traffic variations.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 00:16   #2882
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Mr.Beat
Hi
Yes you have been away a long time.Have been missing your and Sajjt's posts.
I bought it in May 2010
The AC is working fine.
Yes the gear does have a problem.
Will get it checked
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 12:21   #2883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Get the air filter checked. Rattling noise is due to wheel allignment get that done. Hella wipers used by @samarth.bhatia and me are effective although a little expensive. F.E may be due to a number of reasons like change in fuel pump or driving style or traffic variations.
How much did the wipers cost you? It's reccommended to change ti every year, so is it worth spending the extra cash for something that will last a year?

I can vouch that driving style and conditions are pretty much same. Fuel pump hasnt been changed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Mr.Beat
Hi
Yes you have been away a long time.Have been missing your and Sajjt's posts.
I bought it in May 2010
The AC is working fine.
Yes the gear does have a problem.
Will get it checked
Regards
Hello faustus,

The AC is working fine for me too, but it does not cool the cabin. All it does is blow semi cool air. Passengers sitting behind complain of a weak A/C. Any pointers?

OT: I also plan to get a interior + exterior detailing done. Is 3M good enough? What is a reasonable amount charged for such acitivities?
Old 25th December 2012, 12:35   #2884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
How much did the wipers cost you? It's reccommended to change ti every year, so is it worth spending the extra cash for something that will last a year?

I can vouch that driving style and conditions are pretty much same. Fuel pump hasnt been changed though.

Hello faustus,

The AC is working fine for me too, but it does not cool the cabin. All it does is blow semi cool air. Passengers sitting behind complain of a weak A/C. Any pointers?

I think the pollen filter is clogged. After replacement or clean up, you will see a drastic improvement. I can vouch for it. There was a major difference in the cooling after my car went for servicing.

Thanks to fellow Delhi BHPian @SameerG I got a nice deal on the Hella wipers, if I remember correctly it was INR 900. Yes, life cycle is only a year and the standard wipers do a decent job too, so it is your call.

As far as F.E. goes, how many kms have you clocked? What air pressure do you maintain?
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2012, 12:47   #2885
BHPian

Quote:
I think the pollen filter is clogged. After replacement or clean up, you will see a drastic improvement. I can vouch for it. There was a major difference in the cooling after my car went for servicing.

Thanks to fellow Delhi BHPian @SameerG I got a nice deal on the Hella wipers, if I remember correctly it was INR 900. Yes, life cycle is only a year and the standard wipers do a decent job too, so it is your call.

As far as F.E. goes, how many kms have you clocked? What air pressure do you maintain?
Hello Abhishek,

I change my pollen filter at every service and the improvement is temporary ( as it gets clogged again after a month ot 2). But even with the changed filter, the effect of A/C is not "chilling".

How much is the price difference between stock and hella wipers?

I have clocked 19000 Kms and i guess the drop in F.E. is because my father is learning to drive on it since last 6 months. Can somebody pinpoint if i should get something changed/checked if the drop in FE has been because somebody learning to drive on it.

P.S.: He isn't good at driving at all, the car usually stops atleast once when he is trying to drive.
Old 26th December 2012, 11:22   #2886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Abhishek,

Can you please guide me on the size and specifications of the wiper blade ?
I was looking at 12”, 14”, 16”, 17”, 18”, 19”, 20”, 21”, 22”, 24” and 26” wipers !!!
This is the link where I was looking at: http://shop.cardekho.com/wiper-blade...f-1~13855.html

Would be good if I could get a more detailed specifications of the Hella wiper blades for my Beat Petrol.

Point me to any other better online deals if available
Old 1st January 2013, 16:34   #2887
Senior - BHPian

Hey a couple of tiny sounds have cropped up in my Beat. Just wondering if you guys could shed some light on them

1] Chik chik chik Indica like sound after a cold start. Lasts for a couple of minutes and goes away. Is it because the timing or alternator belt is loose ?

2] Annoying rattling noise from ahead of the driver when driving over those crappy paver block roads. This is mostly at speeds between 20-40 km/hr. Not noticed it at higher speeds on better roads. Could it be due to :

-Alighnment and balancing needed
-Worn out part in the suspension like a busing or something ?
- Worn out wheel bearings
- Some worn out part in the steering ? Steering seems fine and does not vibrate or anything
Old 2nd January 2013, 00:15   #2888
BHPian

Mortis
Hi
Happy new year
I start my car maybe after a week or ten days.Havnt had any problem.
Today after months drove for 20 kms.It started immediately.
As you have a doubt about alignment you can get it checked at your friendly neighborhood guy.
Do the same for your doubt about the belt.Let your FNMechanic check and then take the car to A.S.S
Regards

Mortis
Hi.
I remember reading on this about the click click noise when you put on the ignition.
It has something to do with the fuel pump.
Please do read earlier(about 2 months old) posts.There are 3/4 posts on this subject.
Regards

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th January 2013 at 03:30.
Old 3rd January 2013, 22:30   #2889
BHPian

hi everyone.
Today my skidz turned 2 ! I have done 27600 on odo. Not a single problem faced by me. Only complaint being the AC not doing its job despite having a small cabin to condition . Milage HW at 16.4 km w/o ac, avg speeds 100 kmph. I my self tested for 18.6 with Ac, speed 80kmph constant. cheers.
Old 5th January 2013, 19:38   #2890
Senior - BHPian

Hey faustus its definitely not the fuel pump. The noise used to come from the engine compartment and is definitely the loose belt sound. Its fine now and has stopped coming. That day I experienced it was the first day I had started the car in a week since I was out of town, plus the cold weather. Anyways will monitor for a few days and then take it to get the belt tightened if necesary.
Old 7th January 2013, 23:37   #2891
Senior - BHPian

Cant seem to edit my previous post. Anyways the light clanking noise still persists even after getting the wheel balancing and alignment done. The guy suggested that it might me one of the bushes in the suspension that might have worn out. Is this a possibility ? In a car thats done 14000K ? Also, approximately how much would it cost to replace, i.e. are they expensive ?
Old 14th January 2013, 21:33   #2892
BHPian

How about these on the beat? Do they look good?
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-beat-tail-lamp.jpg  

yogisays0909 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 22:23   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Cant seem to edit my previous post. Anyways the light clanking noise still persists even after getting the wheel balancing and alignment done. The guy suggested that it might me one of the bushes in the suspension that might have worn out. Is this a possibility ? In a car thats done 14000K ? Also, approximately how much would it cost to replace, i.e. are they expensive ?
Mortis
Hi.
Obviously the diagnosis was wrong.He rectified somthing and if the sound persisted then he had made a mistake, unfortunately at your cost.That is the sad part of owning a car.
Somebody else will have to guide you withether the problem is with the bushes and how much will it cost.
14000 is not much by any yardstick so rest assured on that count.
Regards
Old 15th January 2013, 18:42   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
They look good. Only wish the top edge of the white LEDs aligned with the lower edge of the rear windshield.
That way it would look more integrated. Purely my personal view.
Would look brilliant at night for sure! How much for a pair? Import from Korea?
Old 15th January 2013, 18:58   #2895
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Wow. Looks great. Where did you get it from? Do the indicators glow in red?

Most Viewed