Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:01   #2911
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Completed 2.5 yrs Service. I did WA/WR and general service related checkups. I have also purchased Bosch Wipers as i could not get Hella made ones as suggested on the forums. The Service experience was less than satisfactory. They returned the car 4 hours late with 2 scratches and a poor wash/wipe. The Advisor was least bothered and did not seem to have technical/management skills at all. This was contrary to my earlier experiences at the same place Nikhil Automobiles , Koparkhairane.

Total cost came to around 2500 INR
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:41   #2912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Completed 2.5 yrs Service. They returned the car 4 hours late with 2 scratches and a poor wash/wipe.

Total cost came to around 2500 INR
I created a scene at Metro Chevrolet and they removed the stratch caused by their mishandling. Not to mention the touch up job was pretty messed up but it is better than having a scratch. I have noticed Chevy trying to loot beat owners. Even if the car seems fine the estimates of servicing are huge. 30k service is apparently for 7500 INR. At this rate I would start taking my car elsewhere.
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:49   #2913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I have also purchased Bosch Wipers as i could not get Hella made ones as suggested on the forums.
Could you please point me the exact specs of the front wipers ? I did a lot of lookup, but couldn't get the correct size. Also while reseaching online, I came across Dynaedge wipers from Hella. Are they worth buying ? I want to replace the wipers through DIY. Is it easy or shall I take it to the FNS centre ? Please advise.
Old 22nd January 2013, 21:09   #2914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Could you please point me the exact specs of the front wipers ? I did a lot of lookup, but couldn't get the correct size. Also while reseaching online, I came across Dynaedge wipers from Hella. Are they worth buying ? I want to replace the wipers through DIY. Is it easy or shall I take it to the FNS centre ? Please advise.
I use dynaedge. I am sorry I completely forgot about replying to your earlier query. They are good and give a good wipe and I personally feel worth the premium.They also look pretty good on the Beat. I *think* mine were 21 in size. Samarth uses dynaedge too and he doesnt remember the size either. I will try and measure it tomorrow for you. It is a DIY as these can be clipped on. @sameerg and me took mins to fit the Hellas. Hope it helps.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 00:18   #2915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
I use dynaedge. I am sorry I completely forgot about replying to your earlier query. They are good and give a good wipe and I personally feel worth the premium.They also look pretty good on the Beat. I *think* mine were 21 in size. Samarth uses dynaedge too and he doesnt remember the size either. I will try and measure it tomorrow for you. It is a DIY as these can be clipped on. @sameerg and me took mins to fit the Hellas. Hope it helps.
Thanks a ton Abhishek. That inspires some confidence in me for the DIY part ! AFAIK, 21 is for the driver side and 18 for the passenger side. This is the best I could get from various websites. I'll wait for your measured size.

When you say "clipped on", does it have the risk of easily being removed ? As in theft ?
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:31   #2916
BHPian

Quote:
I have gotten myself used to the rattling over broken roads.

The rattle from behind your ear can be the driver's door. Chevy mechanics spent a lot of time with me observing this noise. They opened up the door plastics tightened the locks and fitted the plastic all over again. It disappeared. This could be it.
Quote:
This could be because of:

- Rattling - Damaged bushes - Check all 4 suspensions and replace bushes if needed. Don't go by the ODO. It all depends on driving style and most importantly, condition of roads. Even I have some bit of it, and I am living wth it. Have to find time to fix it.

- Creaking / Squeaking noise - Happens on my Beat also, with full steering lock. Specific at U-turns. I am still unaware of it and doing some googe-ling. Hopefully will fnd the cause.

- I can bet, this would be majorly due to loose parts. I had this bad rattle on my beat and the A.S.S had banged their head over almost everything at the rear - Hatch door, Rear doors, Toolkit, Spare wheel, etc, etc. Interestingly, the cause was stripped down to the "Rear Number Plate" !! Silly as it sounds, the A.S.S guys put some black tape and some crumpled waste plastic sheets behind the number plate and tightened it. Rattle disappears !!

- I believe suspension problems will not be covered under warranty if it is declared as a wear and tear part - Which I hope and think is not a Wear n Tear part. The A.S.S will probably try to strip you of some money. Go for a fight and I'm sure that they would admit what Chevy has laid down as rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Take it to the service centre, have your vehicle hauled up on a lift and check if your CV joints are dry. That will usually cause the noise on full (extreme end) steering position. If the thud-clunk sound comes even on sudden acceleration at low speeds (dab the accelerator at 5kmph to check), it is mostly a dry/faulty CV joint. I had something like this happen on my Accent long ago.

Suspensions are usually expected to last 50-60k kms, so considering your car has covered just 11k kms, this is definitely a candidate for warranty replacement, in case the suspension has been found to be really faulty. I however don't think you have a suspension problem. It could very well turn out to be something else, lets hope its a trivial problem.

Suspension should very much be covered under the regular warranty policy (if it is found to be faulty), unless otherwise mentioned in your owner's manual.
Thanks for the replies guys.

So far I have been driving my Beat slower over bumps to hopefully help protect the suspension, but as I mentioned before, there is absolutely no issue with the suspension or any suspension related noise on normal bumps n normal roads. The big problem comes when its bad broken roads and hitting specific bumps at angles. My WB/WA is off as well all thanks to the stupid Service Centre (Trident) during my 10k service. From now on am going to get it done at some reputed centre instead.

The other rattles are there regardless of road type.

Karthik, I did not notice the same noise on the '5kmph accelerator dab test', though Ill try it properly again. Oh btw, congrats on your Punto, really late I know.

Will keep the forum informed on what happens, but for now I have no time to go to the service centre. I really hope something disastrous doesn't happen due to my ignorance to the problem.
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 20:31   #2917
BHPian

My right headlight(driver side) is weaker and dimmer than the left headlight. I have to travel to Himachal day after tomorrow and this is really irritating. Can anyone suggest what is the issue here? Battery is fine since the engine doesn't need cranking or anything and everything else is fine. Someone please urgently tell me what to do. Also, at the A.S.S. what is the approximate cost if it is related to wiring?
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:19   #2918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My right headlight(driver side) is weaker and dimmer than the left headlight. I have to travel to Himachal day after tomorrow and this is really irritating. Can anyone suggest what is the issue here? Battery is fine since the engine doesn't need cranking or anything and everything else is fine. Someone please urgently tell me what to do. Also, at the A.S.S. what is the approximate cost if it is related to wiring?
You mean to say, driver side head lamp is illuminating, but is not providing sufficient light ? Or it is not lighting up at all ?

If it not lighting up at all, then probably, what you are seeing in headlamp should be the parking light.

Most probably, it's the bulb, which is culprit. Get them changed tomorrow. If you want improvement in light, then it is the right time. Go get yourself some nice bulbs.

If you are willing to spend, then search around for Osram Night breakers, they are alot better then stock bulbs, Should set you by around 1100 bucks for a pair.

Or you can get yourself, Philips, I guess xtreme visions, For around 900/- per pair, There will be improvement in light compared to stock, But osram will give you better illumination and throw then philips.

Both of the bulbs are of same wattage as stock 55/60 and are direct plug and play.

Choice is yours. Hope this helps

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 00:30   #2919
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...When you say "clipped on", does it have the risk of easily being removed ? As in theft ?
All the wiper blade components are clip on. So the risk is same as your stock wipers getting / not getting stolen. I understand Dynaedge is expensive, but don't think local thieves can make out the difference between stock wipers & Dynaedge.

So I say it's safe. Don't worry!

Quote:
Let me make a guess! The RHS throw does NOT go to the same distance as the LHS? If it's so, then it's by design NOT to blind the on-coming traffic. It's the same on all cars.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 24th January 2013 at 00:32. Reason: Added second quote
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 06:52   #2920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
All the wiper blade components are clip on. So the risk is same as your stock wipers getting / not getting stolen. I understand Dynaedge is expensive, but don't think local thieves can make out the difference between stock wipers & Dynaedge.

Let me make a guess! The RHS throw does NOT go to the same distance as the LHS? If it's so, then it's by design NOT to blind the on-coming traffic. It's the same on all cars.
Thanks for replying. Yes, you're right about RHS not throwing the same distance as LHS but the light throw is poor and overall visibility was affected and there is immense difference between the two. I parked my car and came out with lights still on. I noticed that one of the bulbs was not throwing light at all as compared to the LHS. Maybe it's a fuse?

Agree with you on the wiper bit. Soumyajit it is okay, go ahead with it.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 24th January 2013 at 06:59.
AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 10:06   #2921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for replying. Yes, you're right about RHS not throwing the same distance as LHS but the light throw is poor and overall visibility was affected and there is immense difference between the two. I parked my car and came out with lights still on. I noticed that one of the bulbs was not throwing light at all as compared to the LHS. Maybe it's a fuse?..
If fuse is blown, the light itself would NOT work right?! Is the car old? May be some dust accumulation inside the headlamps? I am really NOT able to think another possibility now.

May be the alignment of the bulb is wrong? You might want to take it to an A$$ and check then.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:21   #2922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Quote:
Agree with you on the wiper bit. Soumyajit it is okay, go ahead with it.
Great, I am changing the wipers this weekend and it will be the Dynaedge. Thanks "swiftnfurious" and "AbhishekB86" for your suggestions and advice !!
Old 24th January 2013, 23:23   #2923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great, I am changing the wipers this weekend and it will be the Dynaedge. Thanks "swiftnfurious" and "AbhishekB86" for your suggestions and advice !!
Why don't you try Bosch Aerotwins, cost around same as Hella's and looks same too.

I have used Bosch and Hella, both, Whereas Bosch is still going strong even after a year, Hella gave up in 10 months.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 24th January 2013, 23:57   #2924
BHPian

Sameerg001
Hi.
Read your post of 23rd Jan regarding Osram and Phillips head lamps.
Request a wee bit of clarification.
If I wish to change to Phillips or Osram from my stock bulbs do I need to make any changes to the wiring or the fuses?
When I asked about changing to a higher 90/100 the auto electrician said that I will have to install a cutout and it would be better to get it done at A.S.S..
Please suggest as I find the stock bulbs not enough.
Thanks and regards
Old 25th January 2013, 00:11   #2925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Sameerg001
Hi.
Read your post of 23rd Jan regarding Osram and Phillips head lamps.
Request a wee bit of clarification.
If I wish to change to Phillips or Osram from my stock bulbs do I need to make any changes to the wiring or the fuses?
When I asked about changing to a higher 90/100 the auto electrician said that I will have to install a cutout and it would be better to get it done at A.S.S..
Please suggest as I find the stock bulbs not enough.
Thanks and regards

No, if you are going ahead with better bulbs in same wattage as stock i.e 55/60, you don't need to make any change in wiring.

But, if you want to go ahead with 90/100 bulbs, you need to get yourself relay, Philips and hella should the ideal pick for relay.

Osram night breaker+ bulbs, which are same wattage as stock, offers better lighting then stock and doesn't include any wiring or relay etc. If your car is in warranty, then i will suggest you to go ahead with the same. Should cost you around 1100 bucks.

Or at the risk of voiding warranty, get yourself a 90/100 setup with relay, Philips rally 90/100 with philips relay should cost you around 1300 bucks.

Undoubtley, 90/100 setup will offer you impressive result but it may void your warranty.

Let me know, if you have any further question

Cheers,
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 25th January 2013 at 00:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks