Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2013, 22:11   #3076
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Hi everybody
I gave my Beat for a checkup to Nikhil.
The CSA called me and asked that the engine needs anti rust treatment. It will cost rs 1100 plus. I have given him the go ahead. Just wondering if it is the right thing to do.
Has anybody got it done? Your views please.
Thanks and regards
Old 16th May 2013, 23:17   #3077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
The CSA called me and asked that the engine needs anti rust treatment. It will cost rs 1100 plus. I have given him the go ahead. Just wondering if it is the right thing to do.
Thanks and regards
Unless you leave in an island in a sea, I don't think that your car engine need any kind of 'anti rust treatment'. We have numerous posts of these regarding similar treatments. Please don't allow the CSa to exploit you
shineshine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 23:37   #3078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
Unless you leave in an island in a sea, I don't think that your car engine need any kind of 'anti rust treatment'. We have numerous posts of these regarding similar treatments. Please don't allow the CSa to exploit you
Hi.
Thanks a lot for your reply.
The CSA called me and mentioned that rust has started creeping in and it would be better. Since it was an expense of rs 1100 I gave the go ahead on the spur of the moment.There was no way I could have postponed giving an answer.
As I had some doubt I queried about it.
I realize it is better to ask on this thread and not to get carried away by their pitch,which is their job.
Thanks once again and regards
PS: Incidentally did you read my post about the mileage I got on my March trip from Bombay to Delhi and back
Old 17th May 2013, 12:33   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
Thanks and regards
Nikhil Chevrolet SA are money looters to say the least. One SA (name on request) is very famous for it. I got my brakes disc skimmed because of him and now the problem is that the brakes are having a squeaking noise in the morning when i first apply them.

There is no other SC nearby which i may check out.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th May 2013 at 20:16. Reason: Profanity is not allowed on the forum, even if masked.
Old 18th May 2013, 00:01   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
Nikhil Chevrolet SA are money looters to say the least. One SA (name on request) is very famous for it. I got my brakes disc skimmed because of him and now the problem is that the brakes are having a squeaking noise in the morning when i first apply them.

There is no other SC nearby which i may check out.
Hi.
Is any other SC different? Have being reading horror stories of being ripped from umpteen persons.
Best thing is to buy a second hand car, maybe an year old/two old.
As far as the brake noise is concerned, I too had the same problem. Have posted about it on this thread.The friendly neighbourhood mechanic found the reason which was the car not being driven daily. I havnt had this problem when I drive out of Bombay in which case it becomes a daily drive.
Regards
PS: Paid rs 448 for the wipers plus 75 for labour. This was not supposed to be charged but since the bill was made the CSA asked me to accept it as a favour to him.

Last edited by Eddy : 27th May 2013 at 20:16. Reason: Quoted post edited
faustus77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 02:39   #3081
Senior - BHPian

Dear Guys,

My Beaty turned 3 on 16th May.

Yesterday her 6th service done at Metro Chevrolet. (ODO 20614)

Reached Metro at 9 AM as it was booked three weeks prior and got my car back at 11.30 AM.

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0176.jpg

Work carried out
  • General service and check
  • Brake Cleaning
  • Aircon Pollen Filter Cleaning
  • Throttle Body Cleaning
  • Suspension Check
* Some Fuel Filter Earth Wire Routing was replaced under warranty and they are doing it for all Petrol Beats

Lot of changes there in Metro since my previous visit in November. They have constructed a new reception area with SA desks, Accounts and Tele callers.

Over that area is the new Owner and Driver lounge (Last time when I was inspecting my car's work in progress one of the senior SA stormed towards me and told to quit the area that customers are not allowed inside the workshop area, I politely reply that you don't have a proper customer lounge gallery to watch the work in progress. He simply left that time.

Here is the pic from Owner's lounge

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0175.jpg

Over all happy with Metro Chevrolet this time and Kudos to SA Mr. Somnath.

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 19th May 2013 at 02:41.
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:07   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post

Work carried out
  • General service and check
  • Brake Cleaning
  • Aircon Pollen Filter Cleaning
  • Throttle Body Cleaning
  • Suspension Check
* Some Fuel Filter Earth Wire Routing was replaced under warranty and they are doing it for all Petrol Beats
Nice to know of this rare good experience. You got the car pretty fast, i have to always wait till the evening and be behind the SA to get the job done

My Beat is also due for the 6th service ( 3 years) in June. Is this Fuel Filter Earth wire thing changed because of the noise that owners had reported? Did you ask if they are changing for all Beat's and what was the exact issue?

Also, i am thinking of a thorough A/C vent cleaning as i am not very satisfied with the A/C cooling, anyone else facing the same issue?
Old 23rd May 2013, 12:41   #3083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Beat is also due for the 6th service ( 3 years) in June. Is this Fuel Filter Earth wire thing changed because of the noise that owners had reported? Did you ask if they are changing for all Beat's and what was the exact issue?
There was no issue escalated. They told it is changed as ordered from factory and only for Petrol models though.

Quote:
Also, i am thinking of a thorough A/C vent cleaning as i am not very satisfied with the A/C cooling, anyone else facing the same issue?
Did you cleaned your pollen filter (or changed). Better change it on upcoming 6th service. Ensure that the vent below the wiper is clean and open devoid of dust, muck and leaves

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 23rd May 2013, 17:00   #3084
BHPian

Chevy Beat 30,000km Update

My beat went in for the 30,000 km service last week.
It was quite a pleasant experience to say the least. After hearing of Abhishek's plight at Metro Chevrolet, I went to give my car with a lot of apprehension (and without a prior appointment).
The dealer was as usual Autovikas (Okhla). The first thing I learnt was they're about to shut down. On hearing this, I was quite hesitant to give the car there - God knows what they'd do to it.

For some reason, the SA seemed like a fair guy. Thought I'd give it a chance.

Gave the car at 1:30 pm. Got a call at 4:00 pm saying the car was ready.
Only got those parts checked/changed which are mentioned in the manual - all apart from the air filter for the engine (due to the K&N fitted in my car).

It was a pretty neat experience.
I had had an underbody hit on a stone a little before the service, so was worried about the oil sump / chassis damage. Asked them to inspect underbody, and was promptly told there's a bit of a bend on a chassis member. Should be ok to drive with it, would have to get it replaced under insurance. Since I wasn't there when they checked it, I got there. And without my asking for it, the SA promptly offered to raise the car up for me to inspect it. A much different experience than the regular affair there.
Must say, I'm happy.

Total bill including labour, taxes etc. came to about 3.75k.

Another update. Rainbow DL 4.3 components are now in the car, with the Hertz coaxials moving on to a dear friend. The clarity is much better. With the subwoofer being too loud, I used to face a problem of missing out on the mid & high notes in various tracks.

That's the update for now.

Oh, and me and Abhishek completed another short run to the Himalayas recently - the plan was to go to Lansdowne (Uttarakhand) over the weekend. One wrong turn, and a hitchhiker later, we were at Rishikesh (about 3 hours away from Lansdowne). Funny story. I'll let Abhishek jump in.

Cheers,
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 00:23   #3085
BHPian

Does anyone have any idea why switching on the AC would make the brakes harder? If I switch off the AC the brake pedal will go down by a few mm and I noticed this right from the beginning but never bothered to check with anyone.

Here is a guy with some explanation but I can't make anything out of it:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...r-conditioning

Better explanation but I still can't wrap my head around it:

http://automobiles.honda.com/informa...px?Question=13

Last edited by hellmet : 26th May 2013 at 00:27.
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 00:37   #3086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Does anyone have any idea why switching on the AC would make the brakes harder? If I switch off the AC the brake pedal will go down by a few mm and I noticed this right from the beginning but never bothered to check with anyone.

Here is a guy with some explanation but I can't make anything out of it:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...r-conditioning

Better explanation but I still can't wrap my head around it:

http://automobiles.honda.com/informa...px?Question=13
Happens with me too in my car, Probably what i understood was, that this is somehow related to idle rpm. In my accent, it goes to .6k with AC on and without it, it is like .8k, I always found my brake to be more effective without AC, especially in B2B traffic.
Old 26th May 2013, 00:44   #3087
BHPian

Yes, exactly my experience too. But I'd like to understand why.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:02   #3088
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I got the fuel pump changed under warranty from Nikhil automobiles. Drove in at about 3:30, replicated the issue to the SA and he fixed it within an hour. Cleaned the air filter and AC filter as well. The noise is now gone. There was a issue with bonnet not opening and he identified that proactively and fixed it up.

Very happy with the attitude of the SA ( Suresh Salunkhe). He was empathetic as well as quick to respond inspite of me gatecrashing on a busy weekend. This led me to write a mail to his superior and congratulate him on having SA's like him. A breath of fresh air among the bad stories we have been hearing of late.

A satisfied Chevrolet Customer here then.

Just wondering, why didn't chevy recall petrol beat's having the same issue.
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 15:37   #3089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got the fuel pump changed under warranty from Nikhil automobiles. Drove in at about 3:30, replicated the issue to the SA and he fixed it within an hour. Cleaned the air filter and AC filter as well. The noise is now gone. There was a issue with bonnet not opening and he identified that proactively and fixed it up.
Did you book a Fuel Pump with the A.S.S ? Or did you just drive in and made them hear the noise and they agreed and replaced ?
The reason I am asking is that on my Beat, the noise comes after some 20kms of driving. Basically after the engine heats up well, the noise starts appearing. So it is unlikely to be heard if one morning I take it to the service center. I have to drive around some distance to make the noise audibly loud.

Quote:
Just wondering, why didn't Chevy recall petrol beat's having the same issue.
I agree, this should be a proactive recall by Chevrolet India for Petrol Beats to replace the fuel pump. What's hurting most is that they are waiting for disaster to strike for replacing the fuel pump.
Old 27th May 2013, 15:47   #3090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Did you book a Fuel Pump with the A.S.S ? Or did you just drive in and made them hear the noise and they agreed and replaced ?
The reason I am asking is that on my Beat, the noise comes after some 20kms of driving. Basically after the engine heats up well, the noise starts appearing. So it is unlikely to be heard if one morning I take it to the service center. I have to drive around some distance to make the noise audibly loud.
Hi Soumyajit9,

I have previously posted the same information. You need to run the vehicle for sometime for the issue to replicate in the exact manner. I had driven for more than 75 Kms and on my way back to home i decided to make them hear the sound ( even if they would have asked, i could have come back later for the replacement).

The good part was that they had the spare part in stock and immediately replaced it without hesitation. ( This also could be partly due to me telling them that it's a fuel pump issue and i have read about it to team-bhp )

There is however one workaround if you want to hear the whistling noise without running for 25 + kms. If you close the windows completely and then press the power window buttons to further close it it results in the same peculiar sound. In fact, the SA heard the sound after turning the knob and then again by this method and confirmed that this was the same noise. I have no idea of how power window switches can give out the same exact noise though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
I agree, this should be a proactive recall by Chevrolet India for Petrol Beats to replace the fuel pump. What's hurting most is that they are waiting for disaster to strike for replacing the fuel pump.
Exactly. In fact, the SA's are aware that there is a whistling noise.

Another issue is that, the the new fuel pump was exactly the same type and make as the old one. So will it go kaput again couple of years down the line ?
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks