Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 18:44   #301
Senior - BHPian

Yes, my bad. I meant the 3 year AMC which is touted as a USP for the Spark is not free.
Old 21st January 2010, 20:08   #302
BHPian

Good engine, funny looks

Engine performance of Beat is excellent. 80.5PS of maximum power 108Nm of maximum torque makes it a very stable car. Because of the higher levels of power and torque beat doesn't vibrate, even after 100kmph speed. And it comes with the signature reliable build quality of GM.

My only issue is with the looks. When Maruti Ritz came out, I felt that it looked like an olden chariot from the movie BENHUR. This one looks similar to Ritz. So you know what I feel about its looks.
Old 22nd January 2010, 14:54   #303
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
but when it went past I was like "what were they thinking when they designed the back like that!"
I actually like the rear design. Much more than the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Guys, did the Chevy dealer mention about the 3 year warranty on the BEAT? I read somewhere else on tbhp that people are just assuming that this will be present since it is on the Spark - and that this does not apply to BEAT!
What most of us really like is the 3 year service guarantee. Chevy's guarantee that the service / maintenance cost for 36 months won't exceed xxxxx rupees.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:04   #304
Senior - BHPian

@GTO- When I recently checked, the 3 year free service package needs to be bought for Beat(it can be done for almost all GM cars) & is not free like it is for Spark.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:11   #305
Senior - BHPian

@Technocrat

Those are two separate packages as a gentleman correctly pointed out. One is the warranty of which GTO talks. The other is a maintenance package.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:12   #306
Senior - BHPian

Yes but many people confuse 3 year warranty with 3 year maintenence package which is free on Spark but not on others
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:19   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yes but many people confuse 3 year warranty with 3 year maintenence package which is free on Spark but not on others
Yeah, and I'm one of them

So, to clarify, there is a ..

1. 3 year / 100000km warranty on the BEAT - and this is standard/free

2. A 3 year / 100000km maintenance promise on the BEAT - which costs Rs 13k?

That is, if I pay 13k upfront, I won't have to pay a paisa for all servicing in the next 3yrs/100000km ?
Old 22nd January 2010, 16:45   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadmaniac View Post
Yeah, and I'm one of them

So, to clarify, there is a ..

1. 3 year / 100000km warranty on the BEAT - and this is standard/free

2. A 3 year / 100000km maintenance promise on the BEAT - which costs Rs 13k?

That is, if I pay 13k upfront, I won't have to pay a paisa for all servicing in the next 3yrs/100000km ?
Well I don't Think 2nd option Makes much of a difference although the 1st option the 3 year/1 Lakh Km warranty, makes a lot of difference to me. Imagine the engine of car going bust (Though won't happen for sure)
and it is not covered under warranty.. I always advise new-car buyers to go for extended warranty wherever possible, its as good as insurance for another 1-2 years.

On the free service/maintenance on spark thing, I think GM cleverly added that cost in the price which might be the explanation why the spark is sold at 2.76 lakh odd (starting) as compared to 2.66 Lakh they advertised 2 years ago, eventhough there has been a 4% duty reduction. I think it was a marketing gimmick which is getting reflected in Spark's current TVCs. Customer is anyway paying the same amount although while earlier it was an option now, it has become (sort of) Mandatory to buy that.
Old 23rd January 2010, 10:53   #309
Senior - BHPian

Test Drive of the all new Chevy BEat

I took a test drive of the Beat and was mighty impressed with the car!
The car on the display was in Moroccan Blue and catching eyeballs. The design is sharp and impressive. Come inside and the car welcomes you with lot of room.The steeply raked A-pillar and the dashboard makes the car look big. The front seats are supportive with lots of bolstering but a little more thigh support could have been a welcome. The seat height is slightly on the lower side just slightly! And it helps for easy ingress and egress. The steering is nicely shaped and feels good to hold. The overall plastic quality seems good, but the plastics used for the inner door handles feel a bit cheap.
Coming to the back seat and there is lots of legroom. Again the thigh support is a little less, but the good legroom makes for it. Also there is plenty of headroom. Even though the rear window is small it doesn't make the environment claustrophobic. The overall airy and roomy cabin makes the car a good place to be in.
The boot felt at par with the competition!
Now come to the ride, handling and performance.The test vehicle was in the super red colour Base model. Beat's ride is going to become it's selling point. It's the best in its class. The stearing is light and that's a welcome surprise from chevy as i found the stearing of spark and cruze on the heavier side. Bad roads are no problem for Beat, But there us a problem, and its with the sound insulation. The drumming sound made by the tires on bad surfaces creeps into the cabin. Also when the car crashes into the pothole, you can hear loud drumming sound. The suspension is softly set for comfortable ride.The handling is neutral. The body roll is evident, but is not bothering.
Coming to the engine and gearshift, the engine is smooth and refined but is no where near to the K-series. The idle is pretty silent. The engine felt rev happy. The gearshift is smooth with short throws. The clutch it self is good. Overall the ride handling and engine is good except for the insulation of cabin.
Also i felt that the steeply raked A- pillar is a bit thick and creates a blind spot, also the rear quarter window and the c-pillar does the same.

At this price , Beat is all set to become a Seller
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:00   #310
Senior - BHPian

Seems like the Chevy guys are finally getting a handle on the Indian market, first the Cruze & now the Beat. Hope the A.S.S. catches up with their product line..

Cheers
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:21   #311
BHPian

Yesterday saw a BEAT in a signal and followed it to observe its looks.
There was this slightly steep bridge and immediately after the peak and as soon as the descent starts there is a big thud and i realise that the Beat driver had driven his car through a wide pothole-kind-of-damage in the bridge. Was wondering why would anyone drop his new car into a big pothole so carelessly.

As i was overtaking the car i realised why it happened. The driver was a lil short. Must be around 5'4" and the dashboard came upto his chin level. then how can he see what's on the road surface?

This seems to be a serious design fault. Since the design of the bonnet and dash cannot be changed now, hope Chevy provides height adjustable seats atleast on the drivers side on all versions. Otherwise female drivers and "below average height" drivers will have a really tough time driving this car on India's potholed roads.

There is nothing wrong in having low slung driving position. That is sporty..but it must be complemented by a low bonnet and dash height..right?

Last edited by Daewood : 23rd January 2010 at 12:23.
Old 23rd January 2010, 19:00   #312
BHPian

Booked my new Beat LT Black

Hi Guys,

I have booked Beat Black LT last weekend and hope to get it delivered in feb 1st week. Read a lot about the car from everyone on this form including the wonderful review by GTO. Just waiting to get the delivery of my black beast asap and will get you guys a detailed opinion on the car.

As for the three year service pact (available on spark) like the one on spark is unfortunately not available on Beat. The three year warranty is standard on beat as on most of the cars available in the market.

regards
pRoDiGy
Old 23rd January 2010, 22:22   #313

@vprodigy-congrats !

I booked the Beat LS in black on jan 10th. Delivery is expected on jan 28th. Thanks to GTO and everyone who has contributed to this thread. GTO's review was instrumental in my decision to book the Beat. I just hope the black Beat is as beautiful as i imagine it to be since there's not even one on road till now.

And to senior members, is 185/60 R14 the best tyre upgrade for the beat as suggested by sn1p3r and blackasta? Any idea what the PCD is for the beat and what else i should consider if i go for mags? And some info on good dealers for alloys and tyres in chennai?

Thanks !
Old 24th January 2010, 00:03   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azharace View Post
@vprodigy-congrats !

I booked the Beat LS in black on jan 10th. Delivery is expected on jan 28th. Thanks to GTO and everyone who has contributed to this thread. GTO's review was instrumental in my decision to book the Beat. I just hope the black Beat is as beautiful as i imagine it to be since there's not even one on road till now.

And to senior members, is 185/60 R14 the best tyre upgrade for the beat as suggested by sn1p3r and blackasta? Any idea what the PCD is for the beat and what else i should consider if i go for mags? And some info on good dealers for alloys and tyres in chennai?

Thanks !
Nikhil suggests 175/65R14 or 185/60R14 in this link for the beat

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post1696946
Old 24th January 2010, 00:26   #315
BHPian

thanks azharace.
as for the tyres both the sizes 175/65R14 or 185/60R14 sound very good, but I would personally prefer the 185/60R14 (although wide enough) for better looks and stability i may to sacrifice on FE a little bit though. Since the car already has apollo acelre so I'll get the new ones from apollo as well so that I can get a good exchange on existing one's. I will have to check that they fit well on the steel wheels.

Most Viewed