Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2013, 14:10   #3286
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Nope, just brainstorming session . What if bulb go kaput?
Another query regarding coolant.
Coolant level (before cold start) in my coolant tank was around 1.5cms above minimum level mark throughout since May 2010 till July 2013. It has never changed irrespective of KMs or driving conditions.
But, post my water pump replacement http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post3244336 the coolant level (before cold start) is settling mere 0.2 - 0.3cms above minimum level mark even if topped up above 1.5 cms mark. There is no visible leak or dripping at parking below the car. There is no over heating, clatter or anything abnormal from engine side.
SA Somnath said that it is normal and if I am too concerned I can add clear water (up to 100ml). GM typically use Ethylene Glycol(organic acid type long life coolant).
What is your opinion on this?
Why coolant level is dropping without a leak?
Is adding water (up to 100ml) safe?
Do I need to buy Ethylene Glycol and how much it costs per liter? Is it easily available outside Service Center?
Current coolant level after top-up (ODO 25177)
Attachment 1179205
Will be in observation for two weeks and planning to check at service center if coolant level drops.
Cheers!
Vinu
Almost all vehicle manufacturers use Ethylene Glycol with Water as radiator coolant (I think 1: 1 ratio).
Even plain water also can be used as coolant, but addition of Ethylene Glycol gives the coolant some better properties like:
- Lowers the freezing point (helpful only when it is snowing outside and subzero temperature).
- Increases boiling point (helpful when engine is overheated above 100deg).
- Better thermal conductivity (improved cooling efficiency).
- Lowers viscosity (better flow).
- Contains some additives for corrosion prevention.
You don’t need to add EG for top-up. Just adding water is sufficient.
Slight lowering of level may be due to some trapped air pockets in the coolant circuit, which gets moved when water gets pumped.
I don’t think you need to visit service if there is no visible leak and there is no permanent drop in the level.
You can try bleeding the bubbles by opening the radiator cap when engine is cold and start the engine, then add water in the radiator directly till the neck and then close the cap.
No need to worry as long as the level does not go below the min marking.
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 14:35   #3287
BHPian

Hey guys, can you pls help me to locate the OBD port on the 2011 Chevy Beat Petrol? Buying the below OBD today, looks like it will be compatible. Not sure if its V1.5 or 2.1 , I have asked the seller about the version. Its pretty cheap 8.08 USD , comes to Rs 525.20 considering paypal rates

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111208676958...84.m1423.l2649
Old 27th December 2013, 14:55   #3288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogisays0909 View Post
Hey guys, can you pls help me to locate the OBD port on the 2011 Chevy Beat Petrol? Buying the below OBD today, looks like it will be compatible. Not sure if its V1.5 or 2.1 , I have asked the seller about the version. Its pretty cheap 8.08 USD , comes to Rs 525.20 considering paypal rates

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111208676958...84.m1423.l2649

It should be just under the area where the boot open switch is located. Salbin should be able to confirm it. I recall seeing the bluetooth dongle at that place in his car.
adg_andy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2013, 16:28   #3289
BHPian

Update on K&N Stock filter replacement:

Update on K&N Stock filter replacement:

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-kn-beat.jpg

Installed the K&N stock filter (Part No. 33-3001) last week, nothing to mention about the installation as its pretty straight forward one, it comfortably sits inside the air box without any issues, very good side beading to avoid air seepage from outside as the outer frame of the filter is made of good quality flexible rubber. Disconnected the negative terminal from the battery for 15 minutes for ECM soft reset. Started the car, waited for 2-3 minutes on idle, and loaded the engine first with head lights, ICE and lastly the A/C. It came to a steady 800 rpm after a while, took the car for a quick spin. Nothing notably changed, no peppiness, no rev happy nature (may be am expecting too much from a simple stock replacement filter) nothing. Only thing I noted was the difference in suction power from the air intake snorkel. My inner mind started poking me for wasting 5000 rupees for the impulse buy.

Done another ECM reset and this time I waited for 30 mins before fixing the battery terminal. Took for another spin still there’s nothing to notice. This Sunday went for an outing with family, the route was mixture of steep climbs, straight roads and b2b city rolls. First few hours I didn’t noticed anything, but when I crossed 50-60 KM after the reset it started showing its peppy nature. The mid range have improved notably, engine seems to be more rev happy than with the stock paper filter. It doesn’t show the laziness on 2nd gear anymore. I used to drive very sedately but once I have this filter my driving style also get affected due to its peppy nature Done some spirited spins, over takings were more predictive and promising. This time only I realize the foot wares are not adequate on hard braking. And at the end of the day I got an average of 17KPL on a full tank to full tank calculation! My best figure on a mixed driving conditions with 70% AC!

I am happy with the performance, its worth to try and happier for not tampering the MAF sensor by taking it to some accessory shop and getting it done with tailor made pipes and tubings for a universal filter. One shop quoted 8K for the universal filter installation 2 years back luckily I didn’t take the plunge.

Last edited by sajjt : 31st December 2013 at 16:31.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:08   #3290

Hi Friends,

I faced a problem on my Beat Diesel. That is loosing brakes while on downhill. It happened two times. Once I was driving down from Ooty. I started to feel that the break is getting less. In the begining I used to get brake by press the pedal to One or Two inch. Later the pedal play started to increase. After some time I was getting a small amount of brake by pressing the pedal to the floor. I slowed down and kept the vehicle of gear. Once i reached the bottom, i stopped the car for a while. (5 min) then the brake started to work fine. I took the car to chevrolet service center. They checked and heated the brake pipelines and said its working fine.

The second incident happened on 1/1/14. I was driving back from Kodaikanal with 5 passengers including me. After driving some distance I started to get the old feeling. I have to press the pedal more down to floor to get brake. I keep on driving slowly. At a point, i was driving with 30 KPMH, I have to brake the vehicle. I press the pedal. No use. I floored the Pedal. No indication of slowing down. Suddenly I push the vehicle to 1st gear and put Full hand brake. It took some distance to stop the vehicle, but that surely avoided a collision. Today i gave the car to service center. They opened the wheel cap and saw that the cap is melted a bit because of overheating of brake. So what is the reason for that???? Even if the brake is overheating, i should get minimum braking power and a normal reverse force from the pedal. what could be the reason for that? They said, they will replace the brake booster. Please give an explanation.
Old 4th January 2014, 16:18   #3291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royi386 View Post
Hi Friends,

I faced a problem on my Beat Diesel. That is loosing brakes while on downhill. It happened two times. Once I was driving down from Ooty. I started to feel that the break is getting less. In the begining I used to get brake by press the pedal to One or Two inch. Later the pedal play started to increase. After some time I was getting a small amount of brake by pressing the pedal to the floor. I slowed down and kept the vehicle of gear. Once i reached the bottom, i stopped the car for a while. (5 min) then the brake started to work fine. I took the car to chevrolet service center. They checked and heated the brake pipelines and said its working fine.

The second incident happened on 1/1/14. I was driving back from Kodaikanal with 5 passengers including me. After driving some distance I started to get the old feeling. I have to press the pedal more down to floor to get brake. I keep on driving slowly. At a point, i was driving with 30 KPMH, I have to brake the vehicle. I press the pedal. No use. I floored the Pedal. No indication of slowing down. Suddenly I push the vehicle to 1st gear and put Full hand brake. It took some distance to stop the vehicle, but that surely avoided a collision. Today i gave the car to service center. They opened the wheel cap and saw that the cap is melted a bit because of overheating of brake. So what is the reason for that???? Even if the brake is overheating, i should get minimum braking power and a normal reverse force from the pedal. what could be the reason for that? They said, they will replace the brake booster. Please give an explanation.
You should use engine braking instead of foot brakes when coming down in slopes like Ooty. The pads will get overheated when used continuously and wear out very fast.
When you feel pedal is going down beyond the safe limit, do a pumping movement with the pedal- like using a foot air pump .
Old 5th January 2014, 14:48   #3292

I pumped brake pedal many times, but no use.
Old 5th January 2014, 15:09   #3293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by royi386 View Post
Hi Friends,

I faced a problem on my Beat Diesel. That is loosing brakes while on downhill. It happened two times. Once I was driving down from Ooty.

================

The second incident happened on 1/1/14. I was driving back from Kodaikanal with 5 passengers including me.
=====

They opened the wheel cap and saw that the cap is melted a bit because of overheating of brake. So what is the reason for that???? Even if the brake is overheating, i should get minimum braking power and a normal reverse force from the pedal. what could be the reason for that? They said, they will replace the brake booster. Please give an explanation.
You seem to be using brakes the wrong way on the hills, esp when loaded drive in lower gears so that the engine braking takes care of the braking to a great extent and apply brakes as and when engine brake is not enough. Ones the brakes overheat the pedal can sink, i think this is mostly due to the fluid losing its properties and thinning out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post

When you feel pedal is going down beyond the safe limit, do a pumping movement with the pedal- like using a foot air pump .
Ones the fluids start losing its property, pumping might not really help. Pumping helps only in case where the pedal play is more due to, worn pads, air in the fluid system etc Once over heated, best is to park and let the brake cool down.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2014, 18:50   #3294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

You seem to be using brakes the wrong way on the hills, esp when loaded drive in lower gears so that the engine braking takes care of the braking to a great extent and apply brakes as and when engine brake is not enough. Ones the brakes overheat the pedal can sink, i think this is mostly due to the fluid losing its properties and thinning out.

Ones the fluids start losing its property, pumping might not really help. Pumping helps only in case where the pedal play is more due to, worn pads, air in the fluid system etc Once over heated, best is to park and let the brake cool down.
Thanks for your perfect explanation. Now onwards I will try to use engine braking as much as possible. Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 22:41   #3295
BHPian

Any updated news on the launch of 2014 variant? Will it indeed be equipped with automatic transmission system?
Old 15th January 2014, 13:06   #3296
BHPian

The 2014 Beat will be available from middle of February. Auto tranny confirmed. Not sure if the diesel will get an automatic version. On the cosmetic front, new front bumper and grill, new headlamps and taillamps.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 13:12   #3297
Senior - BHPian

From today's HT

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-beat-ad.jpg

Sure that an inventory clean-up has started and face-lift launch is imminent

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 14:13   #3298
BHPian

I would be buying a new car around the mid of next year. Budget 5-7L. And I still am all in love with my Beat (which is now at my parent's place). Lets see what the companies have to offer at the Auto Expo, though I do feel I would end up buying the Beat again in its automatic variant despite the weak engine performance of the erstwhile model!
Old 15th January 2014, 17:23   #3299
BHPian

To add to my last post :
As per Chevy dealers here in Kolkata, GM has stopped supply of VIN 2014 Beats. This further indicates an imminent launch of the face lifted version during or immediately after the Expo.
I am taking a chance here that the updates will mostly be cosmetic apart from the AT. If luck suits me there will not be any changes to the sheet metal and the redesigned bumpers can be fitted in even my 2010 Beat. The discount on the Beat D is hard to resist.
Old 15th January 2014, 21:56   #3300
BHPian

Hi everybody
I got my Beat last serviced in 2013 January.
During the one year after service have driven around 3500 kms and AFAIR hardly anytime during the monsoon season. To that extent there would not be any mud clinging to the underbody.
Is it necessary to go for service ? How necessary?
My problem is taking the car to the authorised service center . This entails 2 visits,once to drop the car and once to bring it back. I cant do it in a day as I start very late.
Please would appreciate comments from members her.
Thanks and regards.
PS: Would not like to hand over the car to the AS*S driver.Personally don't prefer it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks